Tip for Kindle on board

Tedferg

Just now, PapaGoose said:

Is this also the case for Kobo?

I would think it applies to any Ereader. When you purchase a book from Amazon it sits on their server. You need to open the book on Kindle to download it. Internet Cafe said they can’t open the page on Kindle to sign in to WiFi

10 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You can always download it in the terminals with free wifi?????

I thought of trying that in port with free WiFi but haven’t found any yet and most free sites need you to 'accept conditions' so need to open a page. Kindle has an experimental Browser I might try that. Though suspect Internet Cafe would have thought of that. 

I never had a problem downloading to my Kindle.  I create a Wi-Fi hotspot using my tablet, connect my Kindle to that hotspot, and download.  It has always worked in the past.  But, there is no guarantee that it will work in the future.

I always download several books to my Kindle BEFORE leaving home.  Make sure that you actually get them to download to your device...not just "show up" in your library.  I jumped through the hoops once of setting up a hotspot with my phone...it was a real pain.  I just make sure all is set before leaving home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

If you purchase internet, would you be able to connect your Kindle to it and download that way or is their internet limited in some way and won't connect to everything?

The limitation is in the Kindle - not the ship's internet. The ship's internet requires you to log on using your credentials. This may be difficult to do on the Kindle. You may be able to do it, but it's a lot easier to download all the books at home.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pmCruiser said:

I never had a problem downloading to my Kindle.  I create a Wi-Fi hotspot using my tablet, connect my Kindle to that hotspot, and download.  It has always worked in the past.  But, there is no guarantee that it will work in the future.

How do you create a hotspot? I looked at Settings but did not see how. 

ETA I assume you have to have cellular capability on iPad, I don’t 

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
33 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

I looked at my phone and it can create a hotspot but I have to come out of airplane mode.  Would that use ship system? Expensive?

Possibly. Many phones and tablets will not allow you to create a hotspot to another wifi network... only to the cell network. So yes, be cautious before creating a hotspot using your phone or tablet. Make sure you can share a wifi connection without using cell data. 

11 hours ago, pmCruiser said:

It seems that I made an assumption in my original posting that everyone knew that a tablet is not a phone – it is a small laptop computer.  To further clarify, I don’t know anything about Apple devices.  My tablet is a Windows device running Windows 10.  I set it up by going to Settings | Network & Internet | Mobile hotspot.  I then specified to share my Wi-Fi connection over Wi-Fi, and created the user-id, password, etc. that a device using the connection would have to use.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Ship's WiFi cannot link to Kindle. 

This is absolutely not true. Some Kindle devices lack ability to authenticate via a captive portal, which is what the MedallionNet log in page is all about.

Kindle devices like Kindle Fire which have a proper web browser and the Kindle App on iPad, for example, can access Amazon's servers and download books just fine on MedallionNet with an internet package activated.

The correct statement is "Some Kindle devices can't authenticate to MedallionNet's captive portal." 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MacMadame said:

If you purchase internet, would you be able to connect your Kindle to it and download that way or is their internet limited in some way and won't connect to everything?

I have always, on past cruises when connected to the internet, been able to use Facebook, send photos and email from my Kindle Fire 10, but never tried downloading books as I always do that before I leave home.

• Like 1

I believe it is Amazon access where the issue lies, not just the Kindle.  I use the Kindle app on my Pad mini for reading, which delivers the books through Amazon.  I also discovered the issue being discussed when trying to download library books. So, no Amazon access, no book downloads.

My Library has since changed its delivery system to Libby, which is an option that should work on a HAL ship. Perhaps someone can confirm. 

Edited by EatonDoolittle

I have been able to download shows from streaming channels & books to my Kindle account on my iPad on wifi in an airport.

Was also able to do this connecting to free wifi available at a port in Norway (even from the lido deck on the ship!)

But yes, I try to download everything prior to leaving; that Norway cruise I ended up watching a lot more movies than I planned so it was nice to be able to download more.

I have downloaded books on to my Kobo e reader via ships internet on Princess. It is a bit of a pain because it is difficult to log onto the ships wifi as the screen is difficult to navigate - an issue with the e reader not the wifi.

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

My Library has since changed its delivery system to Libby, which is an option that should work on a HAL ship. Perhaps someone can confirm. 

Oops, just noticed this - I was thinking of another line. Oh well, Amazon may be the same issue here, or may help someone with this same issue on "the other" line.