Never cruised P&O

Ms Jo UK

We have over 15 cruises but but all on American ships, mostly Royal and Celebrity.  We are thinking we would like to try Iona to Norway in2024.

We sailed Anthem last year and wondered if Iona docks in the same place as it it was so easy to walk over to the ship from the Holiday Inn?

Also we would love to hear people's opinions who have sailed on both USA owned ships and P&O, mainly the similarities and main differences?

TIA

Jo

45 minutes ago, Ms Jo UK said:

We sailed Anthem last year and wondered if Iona docks in the same place as it it was so easy to walk over to the ship from the Holiday Inn?

I am guessing that this is Southampton that you are talking about. I don't know which terminal Anthem used but if you could walk over to it from the Holiday Inn it sounds as if it could have been City Terminal - Iona uses Ocean Terminal which would be about a 15/20 minute walk from the Holiday Inn.

56 minutes ago, Ms Jo UK said:

We have over 15 cruises but but all on American ships, mostly Royal and Celebrity.  We are thinking we would like to try Iona to Norway in2024.

Also we would love to hear people's opinions who have sailed on both USA owned ships and P&O, mainly the similarities and main differences?

TIA

Jo

The thing to do is give P&O a try, I have cruised on all three and typically opt for P&O on price but if the itinerary was the important issue then the others would suffice. It also depends where you cruise from as the American ships tend to cater more for the UK customers when sailing from Southampton with less cosmopolitan guest artists and announcements in fewer languages. Iona being a bigger ship has more dining options than smaller ones albeit some have a surcharge as do RC and Celebrity. 

I think you will find the main difference is in the customer service, RC and Celebrity in my experience go out of their way to ensure top quality service, and grumpy waiters would soon be sorted out. Unfortunately with P&O you might be lucky and always get good waiters in the dining rooms or bars, but equally you might not.

Buffet food will not be as extensive on P&O either, so choice can be limited.  

Finally dress code on formal nights will be adhered to by most passengers in the main dining rooms.

22 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think you will find the main difference is in the customer service, RC and Celebrity in my experience go out of their way to ensure top quality service, and grumpy waiters would soon be sorted out. Unfortunately with P&O you might be lucky and always get good waiters in the dining rooms or bars, but equally you might not.

Finally dress code on formal nights will be adhered to by most passengers in the main dining rooms.

Surprised you comment on grumpy waiters and bar staff. Not my experience recently having cruised six times in 30 months with P&O. Lovely staff IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

Surprised you comment on grumpy waiters and bar staff. Not my experience recently having cruised six times in 30 months with P&O. Lovely staff IMO.

Agree. Have cruised about 14 times in two years and not noticed grumpy staff. Just a bit miserable on Iona. 

4 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Agree. Have cruised about 14 times in two years and not noticed grumpy staff. Just a bit miserable on Iona. 

On Arvia in January, we had a great pair who worked really well together, and could anticipate each other's actions. The head waiter went off sick with Covid four days in, and was replaced by one of those waiters that walk the floor; I'm not sure what they are called. He was a right miserable sod from the start; perhaps he saw it as a demotion. It took about seven days for him to warm up; that was probably with us engaging him in chat about his family. He then talked about his son, who had recently started with NCL.

Anyway, we were back on Arvia in April and, although we're weren't in his section, he made a point of coming and talking with us.

12 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

The Epicurean is a great high end dining venue for a surcharge that will be cheaper than on the US ship equivalents

Also all tips are included in P and O fares

Iona is one of the best P and O options IMO

• Like 1

Just my thoughts

All of the ships have nice cabin accommodation, generally friendly staff and lovely public areas. They all provide basic MDR food (very much personal taste which you prefer) and some sort of of extra cost drinks package which vary in the extent of the selection offered.

P&O has

More competitive drinks prices (particularly for wines)

inclusive tips

included shuttle buses if you are a select fare

A good choice for any vegetarians and vegans in the party

more reasonably priced shore excursions

some interesting speciality dining at a lower costs than RCI /Celebrity but not as innovative eg no Wonderland and while Epicurian is very good Morano it is not. Good food at a reasonable price but lacking the WOW factor you get in some of the US venues.

On the larger ships a good range of lower cost casual dining. The glass house offers interesting food and nice wine flights, Keel and Cow good steaks etc

Limelight club (larger ships) which is pre bookable and includes a meal and Cabernet style show with a semi known / well known turn. 

NB P&O use C.P.S valet parking and it takes much longer than just dropping off your own car. The embarkation is generally much slower than on the US ships and very time specific. If you go too early expect to wait outside.

P&O is virtually all Brits so the “feel” of the ship is slightly different. You may love this or hate it depending on what you like preferences. Definitely more people dress for the formal nights and you need to to access some venues (though there are always other options available).

RCI / Celebrity

Better theatre shows, while entertainment on P&O is very good don’t expect anything like We Will Rock You. (The newer P&O ships have more some innovative offerings).

More extensive choices at the buffet 

More extensive choice of Martinis and Cocktails

More interesting speciality restaurants (at a price)

More activities eg bumper cars, air flow rider etc

better spas

a more customer friendly “can do” approach at reception

If you happen to book suites then P&O have nothing comparable to the Retreat and Luminae or RCIs Coastal kitchen. Suite perks on P&O are very limited and in terms of food only offer a breakfast option, not a separate restaurant throughout.

You will have a good holiday on P&O but just not the same holiday as on RCI /Celebrity. Go prepared to embrace the changes and pre book as much as you can in advance to secure any reservations you want.

• Like 3

Hi,

My wife and I did 1 P&O cruise back in 2012. It was 14 nights from Barbados around the Caribbean.

We normally use RCI, but on this one occasion we used P&O.

The reason was we wanted to be in St Lucia on our wedding anniversary to visit the place where we got married and the 14 night cruise including the flights was far far less than what the resort wanted to charge plus we got to visit loads of other island too. We would haves used RCI but they did not have a ship that docked on the day we wanted to be in St Lucia.

Anyway, Yes the Azura was a fairly large ship, larger than RCI Vision class but not as big as Freedom class. It was clean and tidy and we got a Ocean View room slightly blocked by the life boats, but didn't mind.

The entertainment was a bit different from what we had been used to with RCI, but sometimes its nice to have a bit of a change and there was nothing inferior about it.

The Cruise Director was not as approachable as most of the RCI ones I had met up to that point.

Some of the passengers were a bit stuck up and I witnessed one bloke go and park himself right at the back of a audience and then demand everyone who then turned up later and sat in front of him to move to the side as they were now blocking his view. I told him if he wanted a better view then to move himself nearer the front. I will not tolerate idiots and I do not want a holiday where there are more than 4% of them on my ship. Not seen this sort of behaviour on RCI, although they do have people who constantly talk through the shows!

Dinning on P&O was OK. Back in 2012 they enforced a no tie no entry rule to the MDR during formal nights. I do not mind wearing a tie, but when the weather is hot I tend to sweat and wearing one becomes uncomfortable for me and I do not want to be going red in the face struggling to breathe. Luckily P&O did allow you to remove your tie once seated, which kind of makes a mockery of the whole "you need a tie to get in the MDR" routine.

There were some good performers on board, but that may just be down to the area as they probably would join the ship at one of the ports and get off and join another ship from another cruise line etc.

If in the Caribbean, P&O should take you to Grand Turk & Caicos which is their island and it is also where John Glenn's spacecraft landed and there was a mock version of it there which shows you just how small it was. 

Also, a nice beach area too.

Not done P&O out of Southampton and I have seen some of their Norweigan Fjords itineraries, but because we are D+ with RCI we have to factor in the drinks and therefore RCI although higher priced works out cheaper for us with the perks.

One thing I do remember with P&O is that they had a laundrette which you could use whenever and IIRC you only had to buy their soap or something to use it. Ideal if you want to take loads of washed clothes back in your case and not want to have to do them when you get home.

Again, at D+ with RCI you get a free $34.00 wash and fold on certain clothes each, so that also helps too.

I would say that with food, that is subjective and so I really cannot say if RCI and P&O are better than each other as both me and my wife always enjoy the food we have been given and have not had a bad meal on any cruise ship so far.

As for entertainment. That is subjective too. Other than the on-board cruise ship performers, any guest performers could join and leave the ship at any time at any port so you are not guaranteed that one ship will be better the other. Not sure about this since Covid as my last 5 cruises have had less than average performers doing the same old routines.

The other thing to look out for with certain cruise ships is the weather. Depending on where you are going and at what time of year, you may either get sunburnt or frozen. Deck chairs out on deck can be hard to find when hot and space inside a solarium can be the same.

Its not just about the ship and the destinations, but you need to plan for what is available to do if the weather is not with you. 

Its nice to have an indoor area onboard just in case.

Like with any cruiser holiday, its also going to depend on what you want to do. Do you want an energetic intense holiday on a ship that has almost everything or do with loads of people pushing and shoving or do you want to just unwind and relax and get off at some of the ports just to stretch your legs?

Some of RCI's larger newer ships seem to be more about the ship than the destinations. Also RCI does not seem to have many 14 night cruises around the Caribbean area.

Doing a B2B does not guarantee being able to keep the same room nor does it guarantee not revisiting some or even all of the islands again during the second leg.

If travelling by plane for 10 hours each way to get to the Caribbean then I need more than 7 days before flying back. P&O would win in this scenario as they seem to cater for the longer 12 to 14 night cruise which looks cheaper than booking 2 B2Bs. Again though, the C&A drinks perk can come into play again when pricing thing up.

Finally, not sure what its like now, but back in 2012 the P&O cruise was mainly full of brits and very few Americans. One reason for this was that P&O chartered planes to bring in the passengers directly from the UK. A cruise would pull into Barbados and stay there for 2 days allowing people to fly home and arrive during that period. So in effect you could get a 14 day or 15 day holiday. We did the 14 day one and had a day in Barbados doing a Submarine trip.

Mick.

• Like 2

I've done a good mix so I can help here (4 P&O - including Iona-with another booked, 6 on Celebrity, 3 RCI and 3 Princess) 

They are very different, and if you go in expecting RCI/Celebrity you will be disappointed, so ensure expectations are set. It is very British, from the food, drink and entertainment. For example, the most popular venue on the ship is the pub. 

My P&O positives:

- Price. It is always the cheapest option and provides good value for money. 

- Dress code- Formal night is very well attended and the majority dress up very smartly. I personally like this and although we still dress up on Celebrity, we find it awkward when the person next to you hasn't bothered. 

- Cruise entertainment team always get people dancing at sailaways which is nice!

- Cabins are nice. Small on Iona, but well appointed and modern. Kept very clean. 

Negatives:

- Food. It just isn't as good, in both selection and standard. Its ok, but we end up using the speciality restaurants as they are really cheap. I know people on here love Epicurean, but on Iona we found it lifeless and very average. The speciality on Celebrity (ie Eden) are just another level. However you can get a great fillet steak for around £7 on P&O which is fab. 

- The fact you have to pay for any pastries or cakes at the coffee shop. 

- Service. You get the odd star, but on average we have found the staff on P&O ships (Across the fleet) to be not as helpful or friendly. 

- Drinks. The cocktails are just not as good as the US ships and 99% of the bartenders will not go off menu (ie switch up ingredients or make something off menu). 

- We found Iona to be lacking in atmosphere. Large ship with not a lot of ambience

Hope this helps!!!

We have been RCL exclusively and have recently done Azura and have just come off Iona. 

I’d say @Eglesbrech and @Glitterati are spot on. 

One extra thing is RC ships always seem to be a little better thought out to navigate around and transit around. Iona has loads of lifts but they are tiny, RC et al they are far bigger meaning more people and chairs can use them without filling them up. Not a big thing but it adds a little to the frustration that they still haven’t engineered out on the newer ships unfortunately. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 2:20 PM, Ms Jo UK said:

TIA

Jo

Anthem docks at 102 terminal, which has relatively recently been re vamped to take ships of that size.  NCL also seem to use that terminal.  It is nearer to the Holiday Inn than Mayflower or Ocean Terminals, which are the ones mainly used for P&O Ships. 

They are not much further away, but with any luggage you will likely want to take a short taxi journey from there.

There are some incredible deal for November and December, with cruises from Southampton for 12 nights from £550, from Tenerife 14 nights £950,  from Barbados 14 nights £995.

We are cruising in Jan 24 but tempted to get one in November.

Edited by bobstheboy
Typo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobstheboy said:

There are some incredible deal for November and December, with cruises from Southampton for 12 nights from £550, from Tenerife 14 nights £950,  from Barbados 14 nights £995.

We are cruising in Jan 24 but tempted to get one in November.

And if booking via certain TAs its possible to get a balcony cabin for £51.50 pppn.

Still trying to convince The Ole Lady.

43 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I have not absorbed all your price data, but drinks on P&O are much lower than RCI, with no added tip, and no added gratuities either., so it will definitely be cheaper overall. However there are fewer bells and whistles on P&O,  so you might miss those, however Iona does have quite a few included eateries, and the paid for speciality restaurants are much cheaper than RCI. 

My wife got C&A discount. She worked in their office in woking until they ceased trading in the UK. I quite liked my C&A dinner suit, but wear M&S now.

Hi all,

I have now emailed my TA for full details on the Iona cruise for Nov 2025 and asked for the prices for Ocean view and Balconies too.

Once I receive the details I will let you all know.

As for my drinks price logic, its simply this. RCI give me a loads of free drinks per day. I know that even though the perks they give me doesn't actually lower the total price, but it doesn't up it either.

Whereas if I wanted to drink the same amount or wanted the same/similar  perks with P&O then I would have to add the price of those on to the total, so that could be another £1000 to £2000 on top of the base price.

Obviously for anyone who doesn't get any perks or doesn't want to spend any extra on board and not drink then the P&O price offer is amazing.

But even if you do run up a bill on board, at least the cost of doing so isn't due until after your cruise and not before, so if you know roughly what you intend to drink on board the P&O cruise then you could put a bit of cash to one side bit by bit to pay for it.

I will be waiting to see what RCI offers in a few weeks and then I will be able to do a proper price comparison.

Also, once my TA comes back with the details I have requested, I will be able to share those too.

One good thing, although this cruise is just over 2 years away, so almost is paying the balance too, so it gives you plenty time to put a bit a side each month.

Another thing that could happen too is RCI may change or do away with even more C&A perks so jumping ship (sorry about the pun) may not be a bad thing.

Always loved RCI and everything they do, but if they are going to put up the prices and cut everything back, then I am sorry, but an offer like this is just too good to resist.

Oh, just one last thing, If anyone has sailed on the Iona, could they be so kind as to let us know what things are like on board such as dinning and entertainment plus outdoor activities/facilities etc.

Mick.

Edited by Mick B
spelling

4 hours ago, Mick B said:

Hi all,

I have now emailed my TA for full details on the Iona cruise for Nov 2025 and asked for the prices for Ocean view and Balconies too.

Once I receive the details I will let you all know.

As for my drinks price logic, its simply this. RCI give me a loads of free drinks per day. I know that even though the perks they give me doesn't actually lower the total price, but it doesn't up it either.

Whereas if I wanted to drink the same amount or wanted the same/similar  perks with P&O then I would have to add the price of those on to the total, so that could be another £1000 to £2000 on top of the base price.

Obviously for anyone who doesn't get any perks or doesn't want to spend any extra on board and not drink then the P&O price offer is amazing.

But even if you do run up a bill on board, at least the cost of doing so isn't due until after your cruise and not before, so if you know roughly what you intend to drink on board the P&O cruise then you could put a bit of cash to one side bit by bit to pay for it.

I will be waiting to see what RCI offers in a few weeks and then I will be able to do a proper price comparison.

Also, once my TA comes back with the details I have requested, I will be able to share those too.

One good thing, although this cruise is just over 2 years away, so almost is paying the balance too, so it gives you plenty time to put a bit a side each month.

Another thing that could happen too is RCI may change or do away with even more C&A perks so jumping ship (sorry about the pun) may not be a bad thing.

Always loved RCI and everything they do, but if they are going to put up the prices and cut everything back, then I am sorry, but an offer like this is just too good to resist.

Oh, just one last thing, If anyone has sailed on the Iona, could they be so kind as to let us know what things are like on board such as dinning and entertainment plus outdoor activities/facilities etc.

Mick.

The P&O website does provide lots of information about the onboard experience on Iona, and their Q&A facility does enable you to ask for more specific information.

10 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Just make sure you avoid Deck 8 balcony cabins. They are set back with the prominade deck passing in front of them, so people walk right past your balcony. 

Have you actually stayed in a deck 8?  I usually find those that are negative of deck 8 have not actually stayed in one.

I had a deck 8 this year and when I found out my allocated cabin I was horrified as I was daft enough to listen to comments like yours but actually it was a great cabin and really got to like it.  In fact truth be told I would not opt for the select fare on Iona in future as I am comfortable receiving this cabin.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

Have you actually stayed in a deck 8?  I usually find those that are negative of deck 8 have not actually stayed in one.

I had a deck 8 this year and when I found out my allocated cabin I was horrified as I was daft enough to listen to comments like yours but actually it was a great cabin and really got to like it.  In fact truth be told I would not opt for the select fare on Iona in future as I am comfortable receiving this cabin.

A lot of the saver fares where you can choose cabin position now have the Promenade deck ones in a separate category.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

No I haven't stayed in one of these cabins, and nor would I. Neither have I done a bungee jump or ate L'escargot, both of which I know without trying, I would hate.

Why anyone would choose (I note you didn't, but was allocated), a balcony where people are walking past, as opposed to one with unobstructed views is beyond me. Each to his own, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, but definitely not for us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

No I haven't stayed in one of these cabins, and nor would I. Neither have I done a bungee jump or ate L'escargot, both of which I know without trying, I would hate.

Why anyone would choose (I note you didn't, but was allocated), a balcony where people are walking past, as opposed to one with unobstructed views is beyond me. Each to his own, and I'm glad you enjoyed it, but definitely not for us.

On Iona, I could actually see people sitting by their dressing tables when walking around the deck as it was getting darker. Not for us either! 

• Like 2