Dinner reservations for a solo traveler

LewiLewi

I read on this board that there is a table set aside for solo travelers in each of the dining rooms on board. Should I make a reservation at each of the specialty dining rooms before I board, or wait and join other solo travelers after I am on board? Also, is there a “shared table” option as well in all of the dining rooms?

I understand that there is a designated solo table at Waterside every night.  Also, a solo table in the specialty restaurants on certain nights.  And you can make a reservation for those once on board.  I'm planning to wait until I'm on board to make any reservations.  

Bill

This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't wait to book once onboard.  I would book my reservations as a contingency on the nights and times I'd think I wanted to dine, just to hold a backup plan, and then cancel or change them when you find out the solo group plans work for you after you get onboard.  That way you have a backup at times you like, just in case the solo group plans don't suit or work out.  

You can always release your current reservation and switch to the group table, but there might not be space to book your own new table on the dates and times you like once onboard.

Vince

• Like 3

For the specialty restaurants we are able to book at the moment one each for Umi Uma, Osteria d’Ovidio and Tastes. I understand however, that we can eat twice on each Restaurant because it is a 13 night cruise. When shall we make the reservations for the second visits to the specialty restaurants?

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

33 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Does Tastes actually have a limit on visits (other than availability)?  I don't think it has a limit like the other two.

~Nancy

You are correct, Nancy, it does not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, travelberlin said:

For the specialty restaurants we are able to book at the moment one each for Umi Uma, Osteria d’Ovidio and Tastes. I understand however, that we can eat twice on each Restaurant because it is a 13 night cruise. When shall we make the reservations for the second visits to the specialty restaurants?

Ivi

Just like it was in the past, after you board the ship.  It is based on guest capacity. Like before making them early on and being flexible as to date and time  is a good idea. We found Waterside to be better than before so keep that in mind too.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

Does Tastes actually have a limit on visits (other than availability)?  I don't think it has a limit like the other two.

~Nancy

When I made the reservations it has only given me the possibility of making reservations for dinner at Tastes, not for lunch. I actually wanted it for lunch on port days. I don’t know if it does not have a limit of visits. I guess it doesn’t. Anyhow, I would prefer the Waterside instead of Tastes for dinner. The sample menu on the web page is not something that would motivate me to eat there more than once. 

Ivi

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

Nancy,

Tastes has no limits for Dinner other than availability and there is no charge for each visit.  The similarity to the two specialty restaurants is before the cruise begins you can make one reservation for Tastes but after you board you can book additional reservations.

Osteria and Umi Uma have no limits. The difference is that depending on the length of the cruise, your accommodations, how many cruises you have with Crystal, and a few other factors such as taking the full World Cruise you may be charged for additional visits beyond the complimentary one. Again, it depends on the other factors I mentioned.

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

When I made the reservations it has only given me the possibility of making reservations for dinner at Tastes, not for lunch. I actually wanted it for lunch on port days. I don’t know if it does not have a limit of visits. I guess it doesn’t. Anyhow, I would prefer the Waterside instead of Tastes for dinner. The sample menu on the web page is not something that would motivate me to eat there more than once. 

Ivi

Ivi,

As I mentioned in the previous post you can only make one reservation before boarding for each cruise at Tastes, Osteria, and Umi Uma for dinner. If on a back to back cruise you can make one each for each cruise starting at 60 days before the first cruise and sixty days before the start of the second cruise and so forth if there are additional back to back cruises.

There is no limit on visits and no cost.  For dinner the only limit is availability.

The menu for dinner is similar to what they had before it became Silk with it serving a range of items that one can enjoy for themselves or share.

Tastes for lunch has never had reservations nor does it do today.  You just show up and either get seated at a table or if they are all full you would wait to be seated. 

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

Is there also the possibility of showing up at a restaurant and asking to be  seated with others; ie a shared table?

You can try this, but this means that someone before you had to request a table and say "add some more".  You're better off finding a friend or two before dinner.  The other problem is that you end up with table mates who are at different stages of their meal. 

I'm solo on the world cruise.  I'll usually find enough people who want to share a dinner table with me.  There is always the sushi bar where one can join others.  Meeting new friends is one of the joys of a cruise. 

14 hours ago, BWIVince said:

This is just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't wait to book once onboard.  I would book my reservations as a contingency on the nights and times I'd think I wanted to dine, just to hold a backup plan, and then cancel or change them when you find out the solo group plans work for you after you get onboard.  That way you have a backup at times you like, just in case the solo group plans don't suit or work out.  

You can always release your current reservation and switch to the group table, but there might not be space to book your own new table on the dates and times you like once onboard.

Vince

Good advice, Vince.  Thanks.  I'll be on a back-to-back.  I think I'll make reservations for one segment and leave the other open.  I think Waterside, Tastes, and room service will be my main dinner choices.  

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:20 PM, LewiLewi said:

I read on this board that there is a table set aside for solo travelers in each of the dining rooms on board. Should I make a reservation at each of the specialty dining rooms before I board, or wait and join other solo travelers after I am on board? Also, is there a “shared table” option as well in all of the dining rooms?

From my limited experience on the OC, you could join the solo table(s) at Waterside every night at 6pm. No reservations necessary. Just be there on time at 6pm. If you arrive late, the others will have already ordered and started.  If there are too many solos for one table at 6pm, another table will be added. 
In addition,  "solos nights" in the specialty restaurants were organized and announced before hand. You need to advise if you plan to join the solos at the speciality restaurants. 

• Like 2

On my many cruises with the Old Crystal, single tables were available at 6pm only on certain dates in the Nobu/Italian which is too early for me.  Make your reservations for the specialty restaurants when you want to go and will be able to add a guest if wish to.    I don't know if the new C has started having solo get-togethers for cocktails on the first night of a cruise as my new preferred ships do!

Does anyone know how you arrange to have dinner with someone not in your cabin?  My friend and I each have our own cabins, and we made OO and UU reservations for the same date and time.  BUt there was no option to state we wanted to eat together or join a sharing table.  I suppose the odds are good that they would put two solos together.  

2 hours ago, bluestocking7 said:

Does anyone know how you arrange to have dinner with someone not in your cabin?  My friend and I each have our own cabins, and we made OO and UU reservations for the same date and time.  BUt there was no option to state we wanted to eat together or join a sharing table.  I suppose the odds are good that they would put two solos together.  

Step 1 is what you have already done. 
Step 2 is to email obgs@crystalcruises.com and ask to have the reservations combined. Otherwise you will each be dining solo; they would never automatically seat you at the same table. 

11 hours ago, bluestocking7 said:

When you arrive together at the restaurant, there should not be a problem to be seated together. 

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

11 hours ago, bluestocking7 said:

Do follow TER777's advice.  Let me add,  when you write to on board guest services include in your e-mail the reservation number for yourself and your name and the same for your friend. This way they can combine this into one reservation.  Doing this is great because  if you don't then the system will think two tables are reserved when only one is and that frees up the table for someone else making a reservation.

Keith

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, bluestocking7 said:

Thanks @TER777 and @Keith1010

I will write obgs, though I don't have my friend's booking number, just her cabin.  

You will have no trouble getting your reservations but together, when you board. When I went to Osteria d’Ovideo after lunch on embarkation day, to request reservations for the Supper Club, Mario noticed that our reservations for Umi Uma and O d’O hadn’t been paired, so he did it right then. Knowing your friend’s cabin number will be exactly enough.

Have a blast!