Liveish MS Rotterdam Partial Panama Canal, November 12-24

rafinmd

12 hours ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

I hope you're feeling better. I don't cook with salt, so noticed on our last cruise (Zuiderdam) that the food was saltier than I'm used to. This may be contributing to dehydration. Drink extra water. Note: I'm no medical professional, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

The ships filtered water has a lot of salt in it.  This would include any of the drinks that are mixed with water such as the lemonade and fruit drinks in the dispensers.  Be sure to drink only the bottled or canned water.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

The ships filtered water has a lot of salt in it.  This would include any of the drinks that are mixed with water such as the lemonade and fruit drinks in the dispensers.  Be sure to drink only the bottled or canned water.  

Totally agree.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Yes. Anywhere but room service or Half Moon Cay.

Thanks for the info and thanks for this: I have not seen your circle change colors before - it's always been yellow. This morning it's a bloomin' rainbow or I need to rush out for medical care.

7 different colors flashed across my screen! And being the true CO supporter you are, there were 2 shades of orange - well done🤭

20231116_084312.jpg.601099fdb9bdb9e541cffaafad658c91.jpg20231116_084258.jpg.f6f6241acc783340d7c22b7175085f9e.jpg20231116_084246.jpg.8082f441590cbabbc87c8950752a4329.jpg20231116_084232.jpg.a174e43c26d1887e71fa516ee5afbab6.jpg20231116_084220.jpg.fb4cf0ebfb03e72a551299e2f9f47bd1.jpg20231116_084205.jpg.98ea0e2d45640afc11c918458631a3e8.jpg20231116_084149.jpg.f05b1c12e41ffb5bcddbf97404c65386.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Wednesday, November 15, 2023, At Sea, MS Rotterdam

wednesday.jpg

I slept much better Tuesday night and was up about 5:30.  The sun came up a little after 7.

dawn1115.jpg

Breakfast was an omelet in Club Orange.

cluborange.jpg

I did feel the soak in the hot tub helped me at least somewhat Wednesday and repeated the process after lunch.  This time I felt a bit more confident that the process helped.

A bit later I went down to the photo shop and picked up the embarkation photo that was finally released after being promised since embarkation night.

embark.jpg

It was another early dinner in Club Orange.  While not billed as such the menu appeared to be the old “Master Chef’s Dinner.  I opted instead for a simple salad, “Port to Table” selection of Short Ribs.  I did agree to Rudi Sodamin’s selection of Raspberry Ricotta Tart a la mode.

dishes15.jpg

I was back early enough that I could have caught a sunset from my balcony but it dropped below clouds while I was looking at other things.  

There was a Mariner Event on the Lido Pool Deck (a section of the port side) for 3-star Mariners and above.  It seems to be the new preferred location for such events.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

On 11/15/2023 at 9:20 AM, rafinmd said:

Tuesday, November 14, 2023, At Sea, MS Rotterdam

Monday night was not the greatest, I had frequent trips to the bathroom with cramps which for me generally signify dehydration, and was up about 5.

tuesday.jpg

I was up about 5 and off to the lido for coffee a little after 6:30

Sunrise is much later after losing an hour Monday night and there were clouds on the horizon, making the sunrise quite filter.

dawn1114.jpg

My first breakfast in Club Orange was Texas French Toast.

brkfst14.jpg

One thing that has worked very well on this ship is the laundry.  There are no self service laundries but as a frequent cruiser I get free basic laundry which is supposed to be next day.  I left a bag on my bed at breakfast and it was returned the same day at 1PM.

I had a nice find on the deck 7 midship elevator landing.  I have been on 16 Holland America ships now with 13 different names.  The only name that’s been repeated is Rotterdam, and there is a model of my very first Holland America ship, SS Rotterdam 5 which I sailed in 1997 shortly before she was retired.  Her replacement, Rotterdam 6 was my first ship when I returned to HAL in 2011, and now Rotterdam 7 which could be my final cruise.

granddame.jpg

I also walked a section of the promenade deck near the lifeboats and got a close look at the setup. 

I think on her 2 sister ships there is a platform next to the boats where the crew can get easy access.  On Rotterdam, the boat sits flush against the fence, a couple feet further inside the ship than on her sisters, and that is the difference which allows Rotterdam to enter the Panama Canal with passengers while her sisters cannot.

lifeboat.jpg

I have been having an issue with a sore spot on my left foot I went up to and soaked it for a while in the hot tub.  Not sure if it really helped but I think at least a little bit.

The Captain’s welcome was scheduled for 7PM so I headed down to Club Orange for dinner promptly at 5.  Service was very quick for my Garden Salad, Rack of Lamb, and Dutch Apple Pie.

dishes14.jpg

I was back on my balcony to watch the sun go down just after 6.

dusk1114.jpg

I headed up to the lido pool about 6:40 for the Captain’s welcome taking a seat on the edge of the pool.  Near 7 Captain Bas van Dreumel appeared to the right of the big screen and introduced his senior officers and then proposed a toast.

vandeumel.jpg

I spent a bit of time on my laptop after the toast and then headed to bed a little after 9.

Roy

Hi Roy,

I'm glad you are able to be aboard the latest Rotterdam!  I think she is the nicest of the Pinnacle class ships.  Continue to explore around the ship.  There are several more ship models.  The Crow's Nest has the Stephen Card paintings and another model, I think the one of the Rotterdam V that was in the MDR of the Rotterdam VI.  Even if you have Club Orange, try at least one meal in the MDR just to experience it.  The colors, the dark blue carpet with the white walls, are more attractive to me than the red and yellows of the Statendam and Koningsdam.

• Like 3

Mr Roy - I hope to board the Rotterdam V!! next week - I had taken several cruises on ROTTERDAM V back in the late 1970's & early 1980's - FABULOUS OCEANLINER to say the least.  The RITZ CARLTON DINING ROOM & THE MAIN DINING ROOM to this day remain some of my all time favorites... thats was cruising at its best & very DUTCH!!!

Enjoy teh rest of your cruise - I'm in FT Lauderdale & we were hit w CAT 1 Hurricane rain & winds last nite  - so you left at a good time.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Thanks for the info and thanks for this: I have not seen your circle change colors before - it's always been yellow. This morning it's a bloomin' rainbow or I need to rush out for medical care.

7 different colors flashed across my screen! And being the true CO supporter you are, there were 2 shades of orange - well done🤭

Sorry to interrupt, Roy. I really appreciate the Club Orange daily reports and all the great info you post!

I've had the "disco avatar" since around 2015 or so. I have it in reverse in case CruiseCritic slaps that "Rare" stamp across my head when I do my "Live From" in a couple of weeks. Can't have a stamp blocking my view.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Sorry to interrupt, Roy. I really appreciate the Club Orange daily reports and all the great info you post!

I've had the "disco avatar" since around 2015 or so. I have it in reverse in case CruiseCritic slaps that "Rare" stamp across my head when I do my "Live From" in a couple of weeks. Can't have a stamp blocking my view.

@rafinmd Thanks, Roy, for allowing us a momentary side trip.

Your pictures are beautiful- looks like you're having a great cruise. Continued safe travels.

• Like 3

Traveling with you via CC and taking notes as I plan to sail the Rotterdam mid-February.  Such great pictures, and I know what you mean about being distracted by others things when the sun rises or sets…. I always seem to be in the shower!  Thank you!

IMG_0017.thumb.png.a59ec01eb372d3c17f3d28139da806d8.png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Where did you hear this?  From what I have heard from the engineering staff that the drinking water either comes from the ship RO system or a distillation process and then a little chlorine add per government regulations and minerals for taste.  It should not have any more sodium than your drinking water at home.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Where did you hear this?  From what I have heard from the engineering staff that the drinking water either comes from the ship RO system or a distillation process and then a little chlorine add per government regulations and minerals for taste.  It should not have any more sodium than your drinking water at home.

I tend to lean in this direction.  I'm now thinking about bringing a small bottle of it home to run through tests.  I gots some connections.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Don Kehote said:

I tend to lean in this direction.  I'm now thinking about bringing a small bottle of it home to run through tests.  I gots some connections.

I lost my water testing connection upon retirement but would love to see the results!  I used to test my home water occasionally and it was actually "better" than some of the bottled water our lab tested!  Really!

~Nancy

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

8 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

@chengkp75 are you able to weigh in?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

@chengkp75 are you able to weigh in?

He explained it in the link in my post above #120.  His comments are #8 and #11 in the link.  Here is his post #11, to summarize (my underline)..............

"Ship's water is no higher in sodium than municipal water, and in many cases lower. The cause of water retention is complicated, but most likely is a result of higher sodium in the food than he is used to, and the chlorine in the water is known to aid in water retention, so the use of a filtered water bottle or pitcher may be advantageous."

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 2

Thursday, November 16, Orangestad, Aruba

thursday.jpg

It was another good night and I was up just before 5:30.  I went up to the lido just after 6:30 and we were barely moving, pulling quite close to our berth with the sun coming up almost directly ahead of us, just off the port bow.

dawn1116.jpg

It seems almost every time I am in Aruba the Scientology ship Freewinds is in port and today was no exception.

freewinds.jpg

A little later the Jewel of the Seas pulled in behind us.  I was surprised at the positioning because the Jewel was due to leave a couple of hours before us, and they typically leave that ship in the forward berth so they have a direct exit from the port.  (We are in a pretty narrow channel with Oranjestad Key very close to the dock). 

jewel.jpg

I got coffee and a bit of a snack but real breakfast came when Club Orange opened at 8.

After breakfast I headed up to the lido deck for another soak in the hot tub.  Once back I took a brief trip out to the terminal.  I think this is the first time I have been at the southern berth.  There is a building there that looks much like the terminal at the north berth.  The main terminal is quite big with lots of little shops.  I was wondering if the south terminal would be similar but it wasn’t.  There were signs indicating renovations under way so there may normally be some but there was just a small passage with a few chairs and restrooms.  I did not venture beyond the terminal.

aruba2.jpg

Lunch was an eclectic combination of soup, green beans, and ice cream.  I had a pretty quiet afternoon mostly in my room.  Dinner in Club Orange was Caesar Salad, Jerk Lamb Shank (Port to Table selection) and Almond Fruit Cake.

dishes16.jpg

I had plenty of time to be back on my balcony for sunset over Oranjestad Cay just after 6.

dusk1116.jpg

The show on the Main Stage was comedian Tom McTigue.  He was not great but pretty good.

mctigue.jpg

While I was at the show Jewel of the Seas had left.  I’m not sure if it squeezed between us and Oranjestad Cay or backed out but it was probably not an easy departure.

We gained an hour overnight as we move back to Eastern Time so I was in bed at 10 rather than 9. 

The night got off to a scary start.  About 10:30, just about as we were starting to leave the dock (I had the bow camera on) there was a “Stage 1" alert for a fire on deck 2.  Fortunately, about 15 minutes later Captain van Dreumel came on the PA.  The fire was actually in the Club Orange galley, but was smothered by staff present and out when the fire crew arrived.  They would stay on the scene for a while to be sure the situation was fully resolved.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3