Liveish MS Rotterdam Partial Panama Canal, November 12-24

rafinmd

I leave in about 2 hours to work my way down to Fort Lauderdale to board MS Rotterdam for a cruise through the new locks into Lake Gatun and back.  I will stay in Lorton VA today and board the Auto Train Thursday for the big part of the journey.

I've been in the canal many times but always through the original locks so this will be a partial first to me.

I normally post about once a day the following day unless something urgent comes up but will try to respond to questions in a pretty timely basis.

There is a companion blog https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/

which will be the same content but hopefully daily programs and menus as well as perhaps a few more photos.

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 9

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I leave in about 2 hours to work my way down to Fort Lauderdale to board MS Rotterdam for a cruise through the new locks into Lake Gatun and back.  I will stay in Lorton VA today and board the Auto Train Thursday for the big part of the journey.

I've been in the canal many times but always through the original locks so this will be a partial first to me.

I normally post about once a day the following day unless something urgent comes up but will try to respond to questions in a pretty timely basis.

There is a companion blog https://morethangetaways.wordpress.com/

which will be the same content but hopefully daily programs and menus as well as perhaps a few more photos.

Roy

I'm interested in your Auto Train experience!

I hope to meet you onboard during the Partial Panama Canal!

• Like 2

How I love traveling along with you, Roy! Thank you so much for the blog and the CC posts, not to mention all the pictures. 
Enjoy the pre-cruise and especially the cruise. I would love to experience the new locks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Roy, best wishes on your travels and cruise. I'm not in love with the Pinnacle ships but I might be able to 'suffer' for a trip/s through the new locks. lol

North Florida has been having cold nights - mid to high 40s instead of the same range in the 50s.The day highs are at normal or a little higher. I'm getting tired of colder nights, not my idea of Florida fall weather.

• Like 1

Monday, November 6, 2023, Lorton VA

My intent had been to leave home about 11:30 and I actually pulled away a bit ahead of that. 

The drive to Lorton was uneventful and I got lunch (McDonalds) in Lorton and then did a little bit of exploring before pulling up to the Holiday Inn Express about 1:30, ahead of the 3PM checkin time but there was a room ready.

The hotel is pretty much across I95 from the Auto Train terminal and the room was quite large and serviceable.  I am close enough to hear an occasional train whistle which I expect is usually from the nearby commuter stop.

lorton.jpg

It was a quiet afternoon mostly in the room and mostly on the internet.  The weather is quite mild and I will be able tomorrow to transition to the train without a lot of warm clothes.

I left for dinner just before 5 with the sun coming down over the parking lot.

dusk1106.jpg

Dinner was at Panera, a location almost directly across the road from the Auto Train station.  When I was here a year ago this location was not yet open but getting close.  It was quite dark when I returned from dinner.  I was in bed about 9.

dinner06.jpg

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1