*some unique itineraries & usually more time in ports to explore

*enrichment classes- art classes, calligraphy classes, etc

*crew members always seem happy & helpful

*Pinnacle class ships-Dutch cafe

*Tamarind is worth the upcharge when available

*cloth hand towels in public restrooms

*service in lido buffet, very little self serve

• Like 8

My first HAL cruise I was in my 30’s!  That was in the 1980’s.  There have been many huge changes since that time, however, I must have remained consistently the same. I do not need nonstop entertainment, I do not enjoy being surrounded by tons a drunken guests who are loud and obnoxious, and I cruise to spend time with my SO, not worrying about dinner prep, laundry or the daily grind.  Cruising HAL is a great time to relax and enjoy travel with very few decisions to make and being as busy or not as you want!

• Like 13

We sailed with HAL in 2019 and again in 2022 and did notice some minor changes as others have mentioned… slimmed down MDR menus, extra fee for items on the menu that used to be free, no wine stewards, etc.  However, we still had a fabulous time in 2022, and I didn’t find that any of the changes had an impact on my enjoyment. As a matter of fact, I really didn’t miss the wine steward as I found there was always a wait for them to make it over to our table anyway. I remember thinking in 2019 that I wished our waiter could go ahead and take our drink order. I’ve learned the safest thing to do if you want a cocktail before your food arrives, bring it into the MDR yourself.😊

7 hours ago, Toad said:

I do not need nonstop entertainment, I do not enjoy being surrounded by tons a drunken guests who are loud and obnoxious, and I cruise to spend time with my SO, not worrying about dinner prep, laundry or the daily grind.  Cruising HAL is a great time to relax and enjoy travel with very few decisions to make and being as busy or not as you want!

I don't need nonstop entertainment either, nor do I want to be surrounded by drunken guests. However, there is a happy medium. In comparison with almost all other cruises, I would describe HAL entertainment as "non-start" (as opposed to non-stop). 

Okay, that's meant as a joke, but HAL is definitely sedate and offers fewer entertainment options now than pre-COVID, with the near-disappearance of lecturers on most cruises and the departure of Lincoln Center Stage*, coupled with inaction in bringing any new or different types of production shows to the main theatre, which already has too many nights off. There are few offerings during the day other than trivia and promotional-related (spa, shopping, paid exercise classes). 

I keep hoping HAL will fill a few more gaps with things that fit with their overall focus. I don't mean flowriders or pool slides, but some good enrichment activities related to destinations would be fabulous -- lectures, cooking classes, etc. Or a book club. Or stargazing. Or arts & crafts activities that include something a bit more than adult coloring or origami...

Evening activities need beefing up as well. Perhaps it's because I cruise solo -- no partner to spend time with -- but sitting in BB Kings or Rolling Stone night after night is only moderately interesting after the first couple of nights. The classical music helped fill the gap but it is gone now. I refuse to consider sitting in my cabin and watching TV a suitable activity unless I'm ill.

*HAL promised to bring back LCS in some form but to date (8 months later) it has maintained radio silence.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't need nonstop entertainment either, nor do I want to be surrounded by drunken guests. However, there is a happy medium. In comparison with almost all other cruises, I would describe HAL entertainment as "non-start" (as opposed to non-stop). 

Okay, that's meant as a joke, but HAL is definitely sedate and offers fewer entertainment options now than pre-COVID, with the near-disappearance of lecturers on most cruises and the departure of Lincoln Center Stage*, coupled with inaction in bringing any new or different types of production shows to the main theatre, which already has too many nights off. There are few offerings during the day other than trivia and promotional-related (spa, shopping, paid exercise classes). 

I keep hoping HAL will fill a few more gaps with things that fit with their overall focus. I don't mean flowriders or pool slides, but some good enrichment activities related to destinations would be fabulous -- lectures, cooking classes, etc. Or a book club. Or stargazing. Or arts & crafts activities that include something a bit more than adult coloring or origami...

Evening activities need beefing up as well. Perhaps it's because I cruise solo -- no partner to spend time with -- but sitting in BB Kings or Rolling Stone night after night is only moderately interesting after the first couple of nights. The classical music helped fill the gap but it is gone now. I refuse to consider sitting in my cabin and watching TV a suitable activity unless I'm ill.

*HAL promised to bring back LCS in some form but to date (8 months later) it has maintained radio silence.

I certainly understand you perspective as i too have cruised solo and it is entirely different.  I think the difference is for me I am constantly working with people and enjoy the “down” time when I am cruising.  I can be social and join in at meal times and when I want but it is not constantly in my face.  

I do miss the big libraries, but never thought the shows were great, and yes the food was more varied and creative years ago, and the service was more attentive, but still enjoy the whole experience.  

They have pickleball courts now - we’re looking forward to that on our first post-covid cruise scheduled for next month.  Also Starlink now provides (hopefully) better connectivity. Staying active and staying connected are important to me.

Edited by saskacruiser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Any evening yoga or tai chi classes?  Winding down the day.

I don’t recall those in the evening at all - usually in the morning IIRC.

For the OP you will see some things missing / changed from 5 years ago - the Yum Yum man and the goodies at the MDR door when you leave in the evening, wine stewards are gone and yes, I do miss them.   Key cards are in your mail box now - no longer passed out at check in.  Muster is much better.  Watch the life boat drill on your tv, find your life jacket - make sure you know how to use it and then just take your key card to the muster station to have it scanned.  Easy peasy.  

Crew is still great, food has been good to excellent on my post covid cruises in the Lido, MDR or Club Orange.  It’s still HAL - you will notice minor changes but overall it’s still a good experience.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just to update all, the Oosterdam's recently completed TA had the Lincoln Stage concerts in the World Stage with good reviews.  The Zaandam on its Grand South America has all new shows (not Step One) which also have had very good reviews. The live singers are back along with the dancers.  We have enjoyed both LSC and Step One, but it was time for something new.

• Like 1

Definitely not as good as in the past, food and entertainment budgets have been cut back and now there is no more Lincoln Center. These cutbacks actually started before Covid as they gave us BBC TV videos in the showroom in the evening and called it entertainment, needless to say we have stopped sailing with them and it hurts because we love HAL ships especially the Signature class ships which are favorites of ours.

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Definitely not as good as in the past, food and entertainment budgets have been cut back and now there is no more Lincoln Center. These cutbacks actually started before Covid as they gave us BBC TV videos in the showroom in the evening and called it entertainment, needless to say we have stopped sailing with them and it hurts because we love HAL ships especially the Signature class ships which are favorites of ours.

I just completed a  15 day cruise a couple of weeks ago on the Rotterdam.

The food was very good to excellent in the Lido, MDR and Club Orange.  Portions were huge IMO (too big for me) and the fish was cooked to perfection.  I had no need to refuse or return a single thing.   My biggest problem was trying to eat it all LOL.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, saskacruiser said:

They have pickleball courts now - we’re looking forward to that on our first post-covid cruise scheduled for next month.  Also Starlink now provides (hopefully) better connectivity. Staying active and staying connected are important to me.

The internet is more reliable, but you have to download the app for it to work, which is frustrating if you need connectivity on your laptop not your phone. Also, you can only have one device connected at a time, unless you pay for a premium package. So you have to log in and out and reconnect if you need to use all your devices. Skype/Zoom/Streaming are only available with premium packages too.
So while it is better, it's still not great.

2 hours ago, kazu said:

I don’t recall those in the evening at all - usually in the morning IIRC.

For the OP you will see some things missing / changed from 5 years ago - the Yum Yum man and the goodies at the MDR door when you leave in the evening, wine stewards are gone and yes, I do miss them.   Key cards are in your mail box now - no longer passed out at check in.  Muster is much better.  Watch the life boat drill on your tv, find your life jacket - make sure you know how to use it and then just take your key card to the muster station to have it scanned.  Easy peasy.  

Crew is still great, food has been good to excellent on my post covid cruises in the Lido, MDR or Club Orange.  It’s still HAL - you will notice minor changes but overall it’s still a good experience.

I was disappointed by the new Muster Drill. It's known that most people retain information better by doing it than by just watching a video, so I appreciated the actual process of mustering, including donning life jackets. And I know for a fact that some people on my cruise did not actually watch the video, they just had it playing to an empty room. So the knowledge might be there, but it's not necessarily being transferred to the passengers as HAL expects it to be. The old form Muster Drill was better in my opinion.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ellieanne said:

I was disappointed by the new Muster Drill. It's known that most people retain information better by doing it than by just watching a video, so I appreciated the actual process of mustering, including donning life jackets. And I know for a fact that some people on my cruise did not actually watch the video, they just had it playing to an empty room. So the knowledge might be there, but it's not necessarily being transferred to the passengers as HAL expects it to be. The old form Muster Drill was better in my opinion.

I understand what you are saying but with the new muster  you still need to go to your muster station so you do know where it is.

Donning of the life jacket is no different now than it has been for a number of years - you do it in your cabin.  It hasn’t been worn to the old muster in years.

Some people may choose not to watch the video just like a lot of people were talking or rude at the old muster drill and made it hard for the rest of us to hear.  I for one, was tired of waiting for the people who couldn’t be bothered to come on time and getting squished and scrunched by others while we waited and waited.  I prefer the new set up but, I have bent to plenty of the old muster drills and feel quite comfortable as to what it is I am to do.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Just to update all, the Oosterdam's recently completed TA had the Lincoln Stage concerts in the World Stage with good reviews.  The Zaandam on its Grand South America has all new shows (not Step One) which also have had very good reviews. The live singers are back along with the dancers.  We have enjoyed both LSC and Step One, but it was time for something new.

The news about Lincoln Center Stage would be literally music to my ears, if only we had some way of knowing what cruises they would be on. 

Just as with lecturers, I have for years on this board heard people take of them, yet on the HAL cruises I've taken the lecturers have been poor or nonexistent.

I feel it is totally unfair to bring back classical music only to have it be available on a completely random basis -- on some ships at some times but we won't tell you when. 😡

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

The news about Lincoln Center Stage would be literally music to my ears, if only we had some way of knowing what cruises they would be on. 

I feel it is totally unfair to bring back classical music only to have it be available on a completely random basis -- on some ships at some times but we won't tell you when. 😡

And even before the LC partnership we had classical music available on EVERY HAL ship.  You could count on it.  Adagio, Rosario, etc.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ellieanne said:

The internet is more reliable, but you have to download the app for it to work, which is frustrating if you need connectivity on your laptop not your phone.

Not true. We use our laptops to access the Internet as we have no smartphones. No need to download an app.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 12:54 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask as we are looking forward to cruising with HAL again starting in April 2025. For those that have cruised on any HAL ship in the last year or so, do they offer some sort of entertainment in the main theater every night? It’s OK if there aren’t any production shows, but at least some sort of entertainment every night that we can sit and watch? Also, is there usually a fun game show every night? 

We enjoy doing these two things in the evening on the others lines we cruise with as well as on HAL when we used to cruise with them from 2012 - 2019.

We were on a 34-day transpacific cruise with HAL.  There was something in the main theater every night, although I thought the quality on offer was a bit uneven.  I'm not sure I saw any game shows in the evening, just trivia contests during the day on sea days.

There were other venues for music on the Music Walk.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

We were on a 34-day transpacific cruise with HAL.  There was something in the main theater every night, although I thought the quality on offer was a bit uneven.  I'm not sure I saw any game shows in the evening, just trivia contests during the day on sea days.

There were other venues for music on the Music Walk.

Thanks! Were there any lectures and/or port talks given on sea days? 

3 hours ago, ellieanne said:

The internet is more reliable, but you have to download the app for it to work, which is frustrating if you need connectivity on your laptop not your phone. Also, you can only have one device connected at a time, unless you pay for a premium package. So you have to log in and out and reconnect if you need to use all your devices. Skype/Zoom/Streaming are only available with premium packages too.
So while it is better, it's still not great.

Do you mean the Navigator app? I would have expected everything to work as it did before re: connecting via the app, surf vs premium, etc -  only (I hope) much faster. But thank you!

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks! Were there any lectures and/or port talks given on sea days? 

There were interesting lectures from a marine biologist about the various sea creatures we might encounter, such as turtles, whales, dolphins, sharks, etc.  (As you might tell from my username, I'm interested in anything biological.)

There were port talks, which were very well attended but I didn't stay for any of them, so I can't comment on their quality.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

There were interesting lectures from a marine biologist about the various sea creatures we might encounter, such as turtles, whales, dolphins, sharks, etc.  (As you might tell from my username, I'm interested in anything biological.)

There were port talks, which were very well attended but I didn't stay for any of them, so I can't comment on their quality.

Cool! That sounds great! 😁

Edited by Ken the cruiser