PJs for Christmas breakfast?

CJHAN

We've been on three different cruise lines for Christmas, Carnival in 2017, Celebrity in 2019 and Royal Caribbean in 2021. Not going this year unfortunately. I love being on a ship for Christmas. We never brought along presents. We did our gift giving and breakfast traditionally, just either before or after the cruise. There was no way I wanted to lug gifts aboard.

By far, craziest guest dress was on Carnival. It was not even close. There was a family of five or six all wearing the Christmas Story pink bunny suits. It was adorable. There was a couple dressed as Santa and Mrs. Claus walking around taking photos and handing out candy. There were a ton of ugly sweaters, light up jewelry, hats and elf shoes. It was fun.

Wear your jammies on Christmas morning. You won't be alone. And the ship will be lovely!

IMG_2780.thumb.jpg.a54d68ee855dbbd660c53509256869be.jpg

IMG_2781.thumb.jpg.6339c9040cbbe8890e784d1d58cfc191.jpg

IMG_2782.thumb.jpg.b70fae0e33ff81746244f572b9427c6c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Add me to the list of folks that say "Just do it!"

I, personally, never cared what other passengers thought about what I was wearing (or not wearing) and I barely even notice what THEY might be wearing.  I cruise my way, they can cruise theirs!

You should enjoy your Christmas 🎄, in the way that you'd like and not concern yourself with the opinions of others.  (as long as everyone is "covered" in their Pj's...  if you get my meaning!  being able to see your families "bits" and "pieces" may affect the other diners  LOL)

• Like 4

Part of me wishes they had formal dining rooms with linen napkins and tablecloths and the whole 9 yards, and then casual dining rooms.  I know not everyone cares, but some do want to recapture the nostalgia of the old cruiselines vs the casual resort vibe.

Of course from a business perspective the logistics would be a nightmare and not worth the trouble.

Edit:  How's that for a thread 180...sorry OP.  😊

Edited by TiredTrucker
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:26 AM, StephPS79 said:

I just don't understand why people are so offended by this thought. 

Was someone offended?  OP asked for people's thoughts and is getting them.   

Me, I would not wear PJ's to the MDR.  But is the OP wants to, no skin off my nose.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

It has absolutely no effect on my cruising enjoyment.  I just think it's tacky.

Look at that family creating memories together, having a great time, and absolutely not bothering anyone. Have you ever seen anything so tacky?!?!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Was someone offended?  OP asked for people's thoughts and is getting them.   

Yes, the opinion of many, it seems, is that the idea of pajamas at breakfast in a public area is offensive.  Did you read the comments?

11 hours ago, TiredTrucker said:

Part of me wishes they had formal dining rooms with linen napkins and tablecloths and the whole 9 yards, and then casual dining rooms.  I know not everyone cares, but some do want to recapture the nostalgia of the old cruiselines vs the casual resort vibe.

Of course from a business perspective the logistics would be a nightmare and not worth the trouble.

Edit:  How's that for a thread 180...sorry OP.  😊

The more formal experience still exists.  I think it's time to accept that it is no longer the experience on Carnival.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Look at that family creating memories together, having a great time, and absolutely not bothering anyone. Have you ever seen anything so tacky?!?!

I have no problem with it, as I stated, but I still think adults in bed clothes in a public eating venue is tacky.  You can also make the argument that older large man in a Speedo in lido having fun is tacky.  Do I care?  Nope. But it's tacky.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I have no problem with it, as I stated, but I still think adults in bed clothes in a public eating venue is tacky.  You can also make the argument that older large man in a Speedo in lido having fun is tacky.  Do I care?  Nope. But it's tacky.

but seriously...  what are pajamas?  I can't think of a single "pj" that can't also be compared to another form of regular clothing...   even lingerie, to be honest, can be similar to the bikini's that you see all over beaches nowadays.   You can't even say that the "patterns" on them make them PJ's vs regular clothes since there are SOO many different patterns on everything now!

flannel pants are like sweat pants

tank tops are already worn everywhere at any time

lace?  it's on blouses

or is the fact that many pj sets have a matching top & bottom, in the same pattern?  Don't mens suits do the same thing?   the jacket and the pants are the same?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

but seriously...  what are pajamas?  I can't think of a single "pj" that can't also be compared to another form of regular clothing...   even lingerie, to be honest, can be similar to the bikini's that you see all over beaches nowadays.   You can't even say that the "patterns" on them make them PJ's vs regular clothes since there are SOO many different patterns on everything now!

flannel pants are like sweat pants

tank tops are already worn everywhere at any time

lace?  it's on blouses

or is the fact that many pj sets have a matching top & bottom, in the same pattern?  Don't mens suits do the same thing?   the jacket and the pants are the same?

I am entitled to my opinion, as you are.  One more time......I don't give a furry rat's butt what you wear. I don't have to like it, love it or hate it.  People can frolic around in their pj's all they want!  Have the most memorable Christmas ever. I will fight to the end for your right to choose, as long as its not vulgar, etc., but I do not have to like it.  People stop trying to make me feel that I'm being hateful, closed mind minded, whatever it is that makes me have to change my OPINION. It does NOT offend me.  I save that emotion for something more important.

Butterbean out.

Edited by Butterbean1000
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

Yes, the opinion of many, it seems, is that the idea of pajamas at breakfast in a public area is offensive.  Did you read the comments?

Yes, I read the comments.  Some said PJs shouldn't be worn in the MDR and some said it was fine to wear them in the MDR.   I didn't read any as if someone was personally insulted at the thought.  Seems like an over reaction to the comments.  

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 6:20 AM, cyntil8ing said:

We've been on three different cruise lines for Christmas, Carnival in 2017, Celebrity in 2019 and Royal Caribbean in 2021. Not going this year unfortunately. I love being on a ship for Christmas. We never brought along presents. We did our gift giving and breakfast traditionally, just either before or after the cruise. There was no way I wanted to lug gifts aboard.

By far, craziest guest dress was on Carnival. It was not even close. There was a family of five or six all wearing the Christmas Story pink bunny suits. It was adorable. There was a couple dressed as Santa and Mrs. Claus walking around taking photos and handing out candy. There were a ton of ugly sweaters, light up jewelry, hats and elf shoes. It was fun.

Wear your jammies on Christmas morning. You won't be alone. And the ship will be lovely!

IMG_2780.thumb.jpg.a54d68ee855dbbd660c53509256869be.jpg

IMG_2781.thumb.jpg.6339c9040cbbe8890e784d1d58cfc191.jpg

IMG_2782.thumb.jpg.b70fae0e33ff81746244f572b9427c6c.jpg

Haha, the bunny suits would be a neat idea.  During Halloween, we saw a lot of Waldo's (AKA Where's Waldo) on the ship.  I don't know if they were part of a group of just a bunch of random folks who like Where's Waldo.  

Would I ever consider wearing PJs (if I had any) in public? NO. Does it bother me if others do? No, it is the kind of thing that makes people watching fun. I also can't understand people who are offended by obese people in tiny bathing suits. They make me laugh.

The world is a dull place when everyone is the same; in lockstep. I won't make a fool of myself, but I enjoy those who do.

• Thanks 1