First time on Iona, help and tips needed please

The Med

13 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You can only book Keel & Cow onboard and not pre cruise.

Oh ok, so on the other restaurants where you do pay a deposit would you get this refunded if you were to cancel once onboard.

Also if you were able to book for freinds I assume you would have to pay there deposit or would that go onto their account if you put in their cabin number 

Just now, Cash123 said:

Oh ok, so on the other restaurants where you do pay a deposit would you get this refunded if you were to cancel once onboard.

Also if you were able to book for freinds I assume you would have to pay there deposit or would that go onto their account if you put in their cabin number 

Depending what you booked. Epicurean you pay full amount for meal for everyone one in advance. Sindhu you pay £10pp deposit and 20% discount and Peninsular Club is sorted online and cost put on onboard account. Don't know about refund if you cancel Epicurean because never cancelled.

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

Thanks for the info Graham. We are also planning to eat in the speciality restaurants and look forward to the reservations opening 2 weeks before the cruise. (hopefully) 

@sandancer

Watch from 15 days out.I pre booked ours from 7pm not midnight.

We were on Iona November 11th - November 25th.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

We want to book for NYE. When we booked the cruise we were asked to choose a seating and although we would never usually eat so early we opted for 5.30. Now it appears that a special NYE menu is available in both the Epicurean(not keen on the choices offered however) and the Keel and Cow. I wonder if the Chefs Table might also be an option. Will just have to keep a close eye and be ready to book as soon as they appear on the reservation page. 

When the dining becomes available we should know who will be in the Limelight Club. It comes under dining rather than entertainment so 14 days before sail date.  Not sure about booking the other entertainment. We did it on Arvia but can’t remember if we did it after boarding. I do know that they were turning people away who had not booked. They scanned your cruise card on entry. There were a few very cross people outside the theatre. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2023 at 12:51 PM, sandancer said:

Not sure about booking the other entertainment. I do know that they were turning people away who had not booked. There were a few very cross people outside the theatre. 

This is what is concerning me about this huge ship, certainly more than double the amount of passengers on any ship that we have booked on previously.

If you have to book everything in advance, it does take away the relaxation of a holiday and the spontaneity.

We quite often like to decide on a whim what we want to do, where we want to eat and what we want to see.

I’m not sure that all this forward planning and trying to decide in advance what we might feel like doing on a certain point in the future in conducive to a relaxing holiday.

Well it’s booked now so it is what it is. 

9 hours ago, The Med said:

If you have to book everything in advance, it does take away the relaxation of a holiday and the spontaneity.

We quite often like to decide on a whim what we want to do, where we want to eat and what we want to see.

Agreed. I don't know what I want to do tomorrow, let alone 3 weeks time!! In the old days, we used to just wander into the theatre and stay near the back. If you liked the show you stayed; if you didn't, you could slip out without disturbing anyone. All this 'planning' makes the cruise seem more like Butlins at sea than a nice relaxing 'do what you want' holiday. With that said, we are on the Iona on the 16th for Xmas and all theatres are booked...though we might not go to them all!!

Simon

12 hours ago, The Med said:

This is what is concerning me about this huge ship, certainly more than double the amount of passengers on any ship that we have booked on previously.

I’m not sure that all this forward planning and trying to decide in advance what we might feel like doing on a certain point in the future in conducive to a relaxing holiday.

The balancing act of modern ,up to date cabins and facilities against dated but easier to navigate ships

This is how I am thinking at the moment. I like a bit of spontaneity, especially on holiday. So many factors can change what you want to do each day.

I wonder after reading about the necessity to make bookings ahead of time, how many people book things to make sure they have something to do each evening, and then make a decision on the night? Would there be many no shows? Also if you are stuck in a virtual queue waiting to eat, can you then turn up late to your booked venue, or would you be denied? 

• Like 1

I agree. We all understand that you can’t just turn up at a theatre at home, but that is to miss the point completely. The concept of spontaneity, versus the need to plan at home, was something that P&O used to proudly trumpet as a unique selling point of cruises. 

The irony is that the booking system for the theatre is fundamentally flawed. There is a false belief amongst many that by booking they can stay in a bar until the last minute and then just wander into the theatre. In reality, one of two things happens. Either there are no checks at the door so it’s simply first come first served, or 5-10 minutes before those who haven’t booked are allowed in if there are still empty seats. 

When we were on Iona in August we wandered along to the theatre a few nights, not overly bothered if we could get in or not and there were plenty of people either outside or stood at the back muttering that they had pre booked and couldn’t get a seat. 

Frankly, I’m amazed that P&O are still clinging on to it. The old system of first come first served worked fine!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Med said:

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

I agree. We all understand that you can’t just turn up at a theatre at home, but that is to miss the point completely. The concept of spontaneity, versus the need to plan at home, was something that P&O used to proudly trumpet as a unique selling point of cruises.

I too agree, It's often trotted out that you have to book a west end show and dinner in advance. That is one of the reasons that we rarely go into London these days, instead we cruise. Where five minutes after leaving the theatre or bar you are back in your cabin.

I believe that you can bag a bargain basement fare on these new big ships if you are prepared to suffer this new style of cruising. But horses for courses.

4 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Agreed. I don't know what I want to do tomorrow, let alone 3 weeks time!! In the old days, we used to just wander into the theatre and stay near the back. If you liked the show you stayed; if you didn't, you could slip out without disturbing anyone. All this 'planning' makes the cruise seem more like Butlins at sea than a nice relaxing 'do what you want' holiday. With that said, we are on the Iona on the 16th for Xmas and all theatres are booked...though we might not go to them all!!

Simon

Do you plan your schedule ahead when you go to Butlins.?.

4 hours ago, sddsddean said:

With that said, we are on the Iona on the 16th for Xmas and all theatres are booked...though we might not go to them all!!

Simon

Ah, I was under the impression that you could only book entertainment once on board.

How many days out of your cruise did theatre booking become available? 

1 minute ago, The Med said:

Ah, I was under the impression that you could only book entertainment once on board.

How many days out of your cruise did theatre booking become available? 

It’s meant to be 14 days, but some have found that they open for booking 15 days out. When we were on Iona they didn’t open until 12 days before, speciality restaurants having opened 14 days out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

This is how I am thinking at the moment. I like a bit of spontaneity, especially on holiday. So many factors can change what you want to do each day.

I wonder after reading about the necessity to make bookings ahead of time, how many people book things to make sure they have something to do each evening, and then make a decision on the night? Would there be many no shows? Also if you are stuck in a virtual queue waiting to eat, can you then turn up late to your booked venue, or would you be denied? 

If you join virtual queue for a restaurant once you are informed your table is ready you then have 15 minutes or the table is released. Understandable as if they didn't do it that way there would be a lot of empty tables and many not being able to join virtual queue. We were on Iona in March joined virtual queue for MDR and by the time we had got the lift and made our way to restaurant we were informed table was ready and had no issues at all.

24 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

If you join virtual queue for a restaurant once you are informed your table is ready you then have 15 minutes or the table is released. Understandable as if they didn't do it that way there would be a lot of empty tables and many not being able to join virtual queue. We were on Iona in March joined virtual queue for MDR and by the time we had got the lift and made our way to restaurant we were informed table was ready and had no issues at all.

Sorry, thanks, I understand that. It was not what I was asking. I probably didn't explain very well.

If I book the theatre or any other venue and then get delayed stuck in a long virtual queue for my meal, will my theatre booking stand if I arrive just in time or a little late? Or will it have been given to someone else?

6 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Simon

I agree with what you say about 'the old days' it was much simpler then. Easier to visit and leave the theatre as you please. You say you have booked all theatres, but may not go to them. I understand that booking everything gives you the choice on the day, a chance to be spontaneous. I wish P&O would come up with a different system, like maybe opening up booking 24 or 48 hours before the event. It would stop the need to book just to cover all options. And there would be fewer 'no shows'.

15 minutes ago, laslomas said:

I agree with what you say about 'the old days' it was much simpler then. Easier to visit and leave the theatre as you please. You say you have booked all theatres, but may not go to them. I understand that booking everything gives you the choice on the day, a chance to be spontaneous. I wish P&O would come up with a different system, like maybe opening up booking 24 or 48 hours before the event. It would stop the need to book just to cover all options. And there would be fewer 'no shows'.

That would surely be better. I will be much more likely to know what I want to do the day before than 2 weeks before. 

I am new to this forum and glad I was introduced to it, so many good tips. But the downside is it means I will probably be booking stuff weeks before I sail that maybe I will not be attending. Can't win!! :classic_wink:

25 minutes ago, laslomas said:

If I book the theatre or any other venue and then get delayed stuck in a long virtual queue for my meal, will my theatre booking stand if I arrive just in time or a little late? Or will it have been given to someone else?

Specific seats aren’t reserved. In the scenario that you describe, if you arrive just in time or a little late you will probably find that the theatre is full. Anyone who hasn’t booked will have been allowed in 5 minutes or so before the show starts if there are still empty seats. Thats why I was saying that on our Iona cruise people strolled up at the last minute and then got irritated that they couldn’t get a seat even though they had a booking. This is why I think the whole thing is a complete nonsense and why they should just revert to first come first served. Thankfully, they have already done that on some of the ships. 

• Like 2