My View: A Symphony of Gratitude (Live Thanksgiving Week)

APDMOM

My Views of the "Island" (Which is actually a small peninsula):

TIP:  I will sometimes refer to numbers on the map of where pictures were taken.

TIP: The trams are free to ride to different beaches.  There is also a free ferry from the ship to the beaches on the southern part of the peninsula.

IMG_1943.thumb.JPG.30134542db232acb17976b2b11f00960.JPG

IMG_1932.thumb.JPG.3f90b28b49fa959be75d8055864d7aee.JPG

IMG_1887.thumb.JPG.65bd8d43361080498544a541706e8c3d.JPG

TIP: The following pictures were taken at number 5 on the map.  There are beautiful rock formations where it is always fun to watch the waves break.  There is also a security guard at number 5 who whill usually take your picture for you.  Of course we gave her a gratuity.  🙂 

IMG_1908.thumb.JPG.d1c9dec4dd613a59460d07b1eddb6a75.JPG

IMG_1899.thumb.JPG.b044261dffdde92d0f213a48dda34175.JPG

• Like 5

Construction and installation of Cabanas began last sailing. 

5 on each side, Deck 16.

* A couple of Cabanas are still under construction. All of the cabanas were being used today, Day 4, sea day.

* No pricing or amenities have been established. Guessing it's currently free.

20231121_105407.jpg

20231121_105208.jpg

20231121_105108.jpg

20231121_104112.jpg

20231121_103730.jpg

20231121_104812.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/18/2023 at 3:43 PM, APDMOM said:

Hello from deck eleven on Symphony of the Seas!

We are about to sail away from Port Everglades, heading toward the Southern Caribbean.

For those who are new to my trip reports, I will be posting TIPS in red for the skim-readers.  

TIP:  If I can help find any information for you while I am onboard, please post your request. I will do my best to follow through on requests.

I will likely fall a day or two behind, depending on Wi-Fi and our busy schedule. However, I will try to keep the report as “live“ as possible. 

Gratitude:

Since this is a Thanksgiving cruise, it will be great to hear what you are thankful for, if you would like to share.

We are extra thankful to be on this trip today, as we had to cancel Odyssey of the Seas in January due to illness.  At that time, we could not with good conscience say “no” to a couple of the health questions due to our son having a cough and sore throat.  

This is the replacement cruise that we booked with the refund from that canceled cruise. 🙂💃🏼

Thankfully, we are all healthy this time, and look forward to a great week on Symphony of the Seas.

Our itinerary:

IMG_1500.jpeg.7e58f5c010341d16f8850dc9653ce160.jpeg

First view of “our ship”:

IMG_1485.thumb.jpeg.5ecd344d5a7aa35954eaabd939249c72.jpeg

Doing this same ship, itinerary in March.  Would be interested to know if we don't take an excursion can we walk around the port area (my husband mobility challenged so will be in a wheelchair) and perhaps see any shops, or just areas of interest ?  Have been here before (Aruba, Curacao) but not for many years.  Have been on so many Caribbean cruises we don't have any real interest in beaches or water activities.  But if we can experience some of the "flavor" of these ports without an excursion that's probably more than adequate for us. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sdrocks said:

Doing this same ship, itinerary in March.  Would be interested to know if we don't take an excursion can we walk around the port area (my husband mobility challenged so will be in a wheelchair) and perhaps see any shops, or just areas of interest ?  Have been here before (Aruba, Curacao) but not for many years.  Have been on so many Caribbean cruises we don't have any real interest in beaches or water activities.  But if we can experience some of the "flavor" of these ports without an excursion that's probably more than adequate for us. 

The last time we were in Aruba and Curaçao was Thanksgiving 2019 (just before the C-word kicked off) and at that time both ports were most definitely easy to wander around without any need for an excursion.

I remember the port area in Curacao in particular as having an attractive area with shopping and dining that you walked through on your way to the footbridge, where the colourful houses are. Although I wasn't looking in terms of ease of mobility, I do remember the port areas of both being flat which would definitely be easier for your husband in his wheelchair.

I seem to remember the port area in Aruba as not being quite as attractive in appearance but still perfectly fine for a wander. We did most of our souvenir shopping there.

2 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Construction and installation of Cabanas began last sailing. 

5 on each side, Deck 16.

* A couple of Cabanas are still under construction. All of the cabanas were being used today, Day 4, sea day.

* No pricing or amenities have been established. Guessing it's currently free.

20231121_105407.jpg

20231121_105208.jpg

20231121_105108.jpg

20231121_104112.jpg

20231121_103730.jpg

20231121_104812.jpg

They're selling on my February cruise at $359.99 ("20% off") for the sea days and $119.99 ("40% off") for port days. Think I'll pass. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

They're selling on my February cruise at $359.99 ("20% off") for the sea days and $119.99 ("40% off") for port days. Think I'll pass. 😂

Holy Canoli!

That is crazy...but we know others will book them. Fiona, does it say what amenities are included with the cabana? Thanks.

19 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Holy Canoli!

That is crazy...but we know others will book them. Fiona, does it say what amenities are included with the cabana? Thanks.

It does. Here you go:

Overview

Nothing says vacation mode like spending the day on the pool deck soaking up the scene. Choose from a poolside or ocean view casita, where you’re just steps from all the action as you relax in the shade. Your casita is the ultimate retreat between dunks in the pool and soaking up the sun. And everything you need is already there — like towels, a cooler, storage for your belongings and a charging outlet. We’ll make sure you stay refreshed with two complimentary Welcome Drinks and four chilled waters. And dedicated service always on standby so you can enjoy your fave poolside drinks, brought to you with the touch of a button. Space is limited and may sell out, so be sure to book before your cruise! Price shown is per casita. Only select one guest per reservation during checkout.

What's Included

• 2 Welcome Drinks
  • 2 lounge chairs
  • Dedicated beverage service
  • 4 chilled water bottles
  • Cooler
  • 4 Pool towels
  • 4 Hand towels
  • Charging outlets

Important details and advisements

• Price shown is per casita. Only select one guest per reservation during checkout.
  • Amenities are provided for 2 guests, but the space allows for an occupancy of up to 4 guests.
  • On the day of your casita reservation, visit The Lime and Coconut to choose your casita selection. Casita location selection is on a first-come-first-serve basis.
  • Guests with multi-day casita bookings may make their casita location selections for all their days on the date of their first reservation.
  • Casita reservation hours: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sdrocks said:

I will keep this in mind when I do my review and take pictures of Aruba and Curacao.  Labadee has many 'easy' paths, if you want to get off and just listen to some of the locals make music.  There are also many shaded areas if you want to watch the zipliners and listen to the ocean. 🙂 

• Like 2

Thanks @FionaMG and @bonsai3s for your helpful contributions!  🙂 

@BecciBoo - I did not hear it this time.  If I remember correclty, the tide has to be just right - the waves did not break as high as they did the previous time I was in this area.  Thanks for posting the video!

• Like 1

Arawak Aqua Park at Number 43:

image.thumb.jpeg.f0f9aaeb68df531c4734978b0bec0dc1.jpeg

The View of the Ship from Columbus Cove Beach (This is a great beach for swimming, though they had some seaweed this time - not a whole lot, but it was not as clear and pretty as in the past):

IMG_1928.thumb.JPG.66b92675590a35c9d90841d0b9fae613.JPG

• Like 6

For this visit, I decided to swim at the northern beach - just east of the Beach Loungers at number 19.  It was much more quiet than Columbus Cove.

image.thumb.jpeg.777c14cd9f529ed8080ae7624457d5bc.jpeg

I really like how they incorporate Haitian culture everywhere... Look at the smoking area with the pipe-smoking statue:

IMG_1934.thumb.JPG.e3990bfa381653c9c12e886be3364c7c.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FionaMG said:

It does. Here you go:

Overview

Nothing says vacation mode like spending the day on the pool deck soaking up the scene. Choose from a poolside or ocean view casita, where you’re just steps from all the action as you relax in the shade. Your casita is the ultimate retreat between dunks in the pool and soaking up the sun. 

OMG when I was quickly skimming the overview I initially read "Your casita is the ultimate retreat between DRUNKS in the pool..." I was like, wait, what did that say???

• Haha 4

My New Favorite View:

TIP: When you get off the ship, turn left onto the small mountain path just past the sinks where you can wash hands.  

IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.3bcfa462033fd59ac1fa8b07b7271d68.JPG

The pink arrow indicates the spot where this photo was taken:

IMG_1944.thumb.JPG.d7c813b27e1ab04f2c760d74cfc1f937.JPG

A little further up the path:

IMG_1974.thumb.JPG.8bf2a57dea542da738a551df987e96ef.JPG

IMG_1975.thumb.JPG.dd7ae01b32f1c224e1338a5a411f9ac2.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Did you happen to hear the sleeping dragon when you were on the rocks? Nobody knows about this anymore.

The Dragon Sleeps_new.mpg 8.65 MB · 7 downloads

No one knows because for at least the last three times that I've been to Labadee the gate to the path leading out there has been locked. Very annoying.😏

6 hours ago, sdrocks said:

You will be fine in Curaçao. Nice flat walkways all around the port area and plenty of scenery without leaving the area around the main port. There are also plenty of shops right where the ship docks in Aruba and and easy walk to town.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, APDMOM said:

Saw a few of these displays around the area:

IMG_1926.thumb.JPG.b6e08df88d2e7fa3e88f41bec1578a46.JPG

It’s good to see them setting up reef balls in Labadee. We’ve only been there twice so far. I’m usually very good at finding marine life, but I haven’t had much luck in Labadee. I’d love to see some at Coco Cay as well. I’ve had better sightings there, but nowhere near as good as it was before all of the construction started.

While the artist(s) did a beautiful job of painting these reef balls I really hope that they have installed most of them in the water where the fish can actually use them as habitat! 🐟🐡🐠. A map of their underwater locations would be helpful, too, so that the cruisers can find them. 

6 hours ago, ace1zoe2 said:

OMG when I was quickly skimming the overview I initially read "Your casita is the ultimate retreat between DRUNKS in the pool..." I was like, wait, what did that say???

I did exactly the same thing! 🤣  I had to read the description a couple of times before I realized that they were not talking about the actual drunks I frequently see hanging out all day in the pool, but instead offering the opportunity to dunk in the pool to cool off! 😂

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 2

Some views of Labadee from the ship:

TIP: For those who are concerned about safety in Labadee - you can see in these pictures that it is quite isolated from the rest of Haiti, with mountains and cliffs.  I feel more safe in this port than most other Caribbean ports, as only a select "few" locals are allowed on Labadee.  

Small village east of Labadee:

IMG_1985.thumb.JPG.d167b5055ce14855f9b41758797f7799.JPG

IMG_1987.thumb.JPG.1705e998ac1df2c8967c17b195b6251a.JPG

Views of Columbus Cove and Arawak:

DSCN2543.thumb.JPG.2444bf1e535903c8ac337d06f7352873.JPG

DSCN2546.thumb.JPG.864f5b151f00ca387382acc3c2a7be3c.JPG

The dragon coaster:

DSCN2549.thumb.JPG.f9c7f7e1f95320c9c7a4c76973d602b8.JPG

Edited by APDMOM
Clarify location of picture
  • Like 6

Dinner in Solarium Bistro:

TIP: Most of the food options repeat every night.  There is one station to the right that has some variety, such as two kinds of soup (same as in MDR and Windjammer), some pasta, a veggie, and meat/fish.  I wish I had known, as the pumpkin from the first night looked delicious.

Our selections for the evening included Lentil Soup, Chicken, Salad, etc.  The desserts were very good too, but we forgot to take a picture 🙂

IMG_2005.thumb.JPG.b249aca444d522cc1f66500378aaa943.JPG

IMG_2006.thumb.JPG.50b294160daa8f382b73f6315b9434cb.JPG

IMG_2011.thumb.JPG.da50e4211f702b67461df1a1ea01a51c.JPG

IMG_2012.thumb.JPG.ee6a34bba9fe1dac15b2314177f97e32.JPG

• Like 5