1st NCL cruise booked

RaiderFaninNM

Ok, finally decided it was time to try something different and here it goes...

2024 Breakaway, August, previously sailed with Carnival and RCCL. 

Did my due diligence and researched and decided this itinerary was new for us, 2 repeat ports and 2 new ports.

What restaurants are your favorite and yoir favorite shore excursions?

We are arriving 2 days beforehand to enjoy some Miami Beach time. Staying in Ft Lauderdale @ the Diplomat as we enjoyed our stay a few years back. What is the best way to get to the port from here, travel time etc?

Anything you seasoned NCL folks can add, suggest would be greatly helpful and appreciated!

Very excited for this new cruise adventure!

Screenshot_20231119_003233_Chrome.jpg

I haven’t sailed Breakaway but done a few other ships on NCL and we always like a night at Cagneys steakhouse. Have also enjoyed excellent meals at Le Bistro and Moderno. If you want to do multiple speciality dining then keep an eye out for price drops on NCL app or your booking on line. Also book on line as soon as reservations open to get times you prefer.

Puerto Plato, nice around port area, Taino Bay, free pools, loungers lazy river but they had doubled their drinks prices between our visits, so didn’t spend long there in May. Take ship excursion if you want to see island, we’re not fond of Dom Rep.

St Thomas, we prefer Emerald Beach to Megan’s Bay, not a rip off for drinks and chairs etc and much quieter, even with the airport across the road😆
Tortola always Cane Garden Bay. Usually go independently as ship uses same open sided taxi buses from port. Beers get cheaper the further you go down beach😉. Hubby always make the short walk to the Callwood Distillery just behind beach for the samples of rum, 5 shots for $1, usually comes back a bit wrecked🙄

Great Stirrup….Beautiful island with plenty to do if you choose. Your drinks package will work on island and plenty of free dining too. They have certain premium spots where you have to pay extra for clam shells / umberallas. 

We really enjoy the Game shows on NCL, so funny. Don’t miss the Newly Wed,Not so Newly Wed game show, usually the best.

We have sailed the Breakaway 3 times. Our favorite pay for restaurant was Cagney's.  We like Shanghai Noodle bar but liked going there for lunch on sea days. No crowd or wait time usually. Love O'Sheehans, it is complimentary. Maltings bar was nice in the evenings for a drink before dinner. 

Make sure and make dinner reservations as soon as available as things tend to fill up fast. 

Regarding Great Stirrup Cay... It is a tender stop, so be certain to obtain your tender ticket if you do not book an excursion (or if in the Haven).  NOTE: sometimes they have to terminate the stop if there is rough weather/winds/water.

If you like snorkeling, they have their own designed area:

• Like 1

I see that you have previously sailed RCI (RCCL). One thing that you should know is that NCL doesnt do discounts on app purchases (meal packages, wifi, shore excursions etc) like RCI does. The price is what it is and the only way is up for the price. They never have discounts on these items. Not even on Black Friday. So if you want to buy something the price is what you see and the price won’t go down. There is a good chance the price will go up though before next year August. So if you want something buy it early. You can always get your money back if you decide later prior to your cruise that you want to cancel the item you bought. 

Another thing that is different (though it seems RCI is changing their policies currently to match those already in use on NCL) is that if you have a dinner package you can and should reserve the restaurants in advance as soon as reservations open (120 days early if you have a basic cabin, 125 days early if you have a club balcony cabin and 130 days early if you have a full suite). The online system knows how many dinners you have either purchased or as a free at sea promo (or combined). Book always the fixed price restaurants first if you want to visit one (Teppanyaki, Moderno), then a la carte ones. Teppanyaki is by far the most difficult to get a reservation. Most likely Cagneys follows although it has gone somewhat downhill during recent years. Our choices for our next cruise with 5 speciality dinners are: Cagneys, the Italian restaurant, Ocean Blue twice (fantastic fish in a fancy setting; also their filet mignon steak as well as their vegetarian cauliflower steak are really good) and Food Republic. Food Republic does not take reservations prior to cruise (you can basically always get a table) but the others we always book in advance as soon as the reservations open. Other usually nice restaurants for us are Le Bistro and Moderno. 

Most people on NCL tend to book specialty restaurants for sea days. We have a different approach. Sea days are our dedicated ”no schedule whatsoever, we just go with the flow the whole day” days. And at the same time we avoid going to specialty restaurants when they are most sought after and full. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

3 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Regarding Great Stirrup Cay... It is a tender stop, so be certain to obtain your tender ticket if you do not book an excursion (or if in the Haven).  NOTE: sometimes they have to terminate the stop if there is rough weather/winds/water.

If you like snorkeling, they have their own designed area:

Do they announce when tender tickets are available?

Thanks

1 minute ago, PegNRay said:

Do they announce when tender tickets are available?

Thanks

I had to look at a Freestyle Daily from a previous cruise, since we don't require Tender Tickets due to our status, Suites/Haven, or, having booked our Shore Excursions with NCL).

You may want to check the Freestyle Daily on your cruise for something that looks like this:

"You may choose a tender by using any Digital Touch Screen (located near deck/elevator landings.  Your Freestyle Key Card will serve as your ticket.  Please wait in public lounges until your tender group number is announced over the PA system."  (more verbiage follows, but the above gives you an idea of what you are likely to read)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

I see that you have previously sailed RCI (RCCL). One thing that you should know is that NCL doesnt do discounts on app purchases (meal packages, wifi, shore excursions etc) like RCI does. The price is what it is and the only way is up for the price. They never have discounts on these items. Not even on Black Friday. So if you want to buy something the price is what you see and the price won’t go down. There is a good chance the price will go up though before next year August. So if you want something buy it early. You can always get your money back if you decide later prior to your cruise that you want to cancel the item you bought. 

Another thing that is different (though it seems RCI is changing their policies currently to match those already in use on NCL) is that if you have a dinner package you can and should reserve the restaurants in advance as soon as reservations open (120 days early if you have a basic cabin, 125 days early if you have a club balcony cabin and 130 days early if you have a full suite). The online system knows how many dinners you have either purchased or as a free at sea promo (or combined). Book always the fixed price restaurants first if you want to visit one (Teppanyaki, Moderno), then a la carte ones. Teppanyaki is by far the most difficult to get a reservation. Most likely Cagneys follows although it has gone somewhat downhill during recent years. Our choices for our next cruise with 5 speciality dinners are: Cagneys, the Italian restaurant, Ocean Blue twice (fantastic fish in a fancy setting; also their filet mignon steak as well as their vegetarian cauliflower steak are really good) and Food Republic. Food Republic does not take reservations prior to cruise (you can basically always get a table) but the others we always book in advance as soon as the reservations open. Other usually nice restaurants for us are Le Bistro and Moderno. 

Most people on NCL tend to book specialty restaurants for sea days. We have a different approach. Sea days are our dedicated ”no schedule whatsoever, we just go with the flow the whole day” days. And at the same time we avoid going to specialty restaurants when they are most sought after and full. 

NCL only releases a limited amount of online reservations at 125/120 days.  They leave space available for on board which you can do at the reservation desk after you get on board.  

• Like 1

Le Bistro is my favorite. You will get different suggestions from everyone. For example, I just recently got off the Jade. Cagney's Steakhouse food was worse then the buffet. Even the dessert tasted awful.  I heard from someone else, that Cagney's was their favorite. I've never had a bad meal at Le Bistro.

In regards to excursions, I did a beach excursion in the Dominican Republic, which included a lounge chair and lunch. I thought the food was good, nice beach and nice facilities.

56 minutes ago, genealogyfan said:

Le Bistro is my favorite. You will get different suggestions from everyone. For example, I just recently got off the Jade. Cagney's Steakhouse food was worse then the buffet. Even the dessert tasted awful.  I heard from someone else, that Cagney's was their favorite. I've never had a bad meal at Le Bistro.

In regards to excursions, I did a beach excursion in the Dominican Republic, which included a lounge chair and lunch. I thought the food was good, nice beach and nice facilities.

Le Bistro is on my radar, so enjoy French cooking/food, 

Thanks for the suggestion!

5 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Wow, so much to ponder, while I do enjoy freestyle, I tend to be a creature of habit, so hopefully this will work for us. 

We are ready to try different, I looked and decided on NCL, let's see how this turns out.

You are right the pricing is confusing at best, after spending sometime on the web, creating an account and as soon as I logged off, I received a call...

That is what turned me on even more, he spent about 30 minutes explaining and helping me with no pressure to book...

I like the all for one pricing, drink package, specially dining, even airfare all in the cost.

So many times we booked a cruise and did receive some decent prices and that went up with each of the mentioned purchase, so that deal quickly disappeared...

Very excited to try NCL and a midship, if we like then will definitely try one of the bigger ships...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Wow, so much to ponder, while I do enjoy freestyle, I tend to be a creature of habit, so hopefully this will work for us. 

We are ready to try different, I looked and decided on NCL, let's see how this turns out.

You are right the pricing is confusing at best, after spending sometime on the web, creating an account and as soon as I logged off, I received a call...

That is what turned me on even more, he spent about 30 minutes explaining and helping me with no pressure to book...

I like the all for one pricing, drink package, specially dining, even airfare all in the cost.

So many times we booked a cruise and did receive some decent prices and that went up with each of the mentioned purchase, so that deal quickly disappeared...

Very excited to try NCL and a midship, if we like then will definitely try one of the bigger ships...

Welcome to NCL!

The link below is to my live post from the Breakaway last year. It will give you a peak at the ship from The Bird’s eye view. The Dailies will give you a feel for the kinds of activities onboard. 

We have sailed on the Breakaway around 6 times. She was a first in class ship (like the Quantum was the first Quantum class ship). And, from a passenger count perspective, the Breakaway is a similar size to the Quantum. 

NCL is pretty religious about “amping”/refurbishing their ships every 5 years so that they are alway fresh and up to date. 

We are Diamond members on RCCL and a “Diamond Plus” equivalent on NCL, sailing on both cruise lines multiple times each year. We prefer NCL. 

• Like 2

Lots of outdoor spaces on the Breakaway (The Waterfront).  There are actually places to eat outdoors via Specialty Restaurants.  For example, if you eat al fresco at LeBistro in their outside space (which to me is nicer than dining inside) you can forego any long pants (for men) or any "dressy" dress (for women).

Pletinful comfy couches and chairs all around The Waterfront to just view the Ocean while reading a book or having a drink.

Favorite Specialty Dining restaurants for me would be Cagney's and Ocean Blue.

O'Sheehans has really good bar food all day (and I think, just about all night).

Reservations really aren't needed.  I know over the last half dozen years, I haven't made ANY reservations for ANYTHING.  Just be flexible.

Edited by graphicguy

9 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

One thing that you should know is that NCL doesnt do discounts on app purchases (meal packages, wifi, shore excursions etc) like RCI does. The price is what it is and the only way is up for the price. They never have discounts on these items. Not even on Black Friday. So if you want to buy something the price is what you see and the price won’t go down.

Also unlike Royal, NCL's prices for these items are the same across the fleet, so the price on a Breakaway-class NCL ship may still be better for some things than Royal's on an Oasis-class ship.

5 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

Le Bistro is my favorite.

Mine as well.  I'm traveling with an NCL first-timer (a CRUISE first-timer actually) and made certain to book Le Bistro for one meal.

12 hours ago, RaiderFaninNM said:

Ok, finally decided it was time to try something different and here it goes...

2024 Breakaway, August, previously sailed with Carnival and RCCL. 

Did my due diligence and researched and decided this itinerary was new for us, 2 repeat ports and 2 new ports.

What restaurants are your favorite and yoir favorite shore excursions?

We are arriving 2 days beforehand to enjoy some Miami Beach time. Staying in Ft Lauderdale @ the Diplomat as we enjoyed our stay a few years back. What is the best way to get to the port from here, travel time etc?

Anything you seasoned NCL folks can add, suggest would be greatly helpful and appreciated!

Very excited for this new cruise adventure!

Screenshot_20231119_003233_Chrome.jpg

That looks like a great cruise,  I sincerely hope that this ends up being your best cruise ever and that you return to sail NCL again.  If you dine at Cagney's be sure to try the crab cakes. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Lots of outdoor spaces on the Breakaway (The Waterfront).  There are actually places to eat outdoors via Specialty Restaurants.  For example, if you eat al fresco at LeBistro in their outside space (which to me is nicer than dining inside) you can forego any long pants (for men) or any "dressy" dress (for women).

Pletinful comfy couches and chairs all around The Waterfront to just view the Ocean while reading a book or having a drink.

Favorite Specialty Dining restaurants for me would be Cagney's and Ocean Blue.

Le Bistro doesn't have an outdoor space on Breakaway as it's on Deck 6, like the Getaway.

I agree w/ Ocean Blue & Cagneys for my favs--and go when they open to get an Oceanfront seat.

Especially lovely if it coordinates w/ sail away.

Waterfront should be on EVERY ship. It is one of our fav spots.

If you like late 70s/80s music, Syd Norman's is a MUST SEE.

They do 4 different shows/week PLUS the entire Rumours album, 2 shows one night.

It is an intimate venue, not nearly large enough for demand. 

My tip--grab a drink at the end of Maltings Bar at least an hour before show time.

Once ANYONE gets in line--JUMP IN LINE. 

(yes, I'm a Syd's groupie & former Syd's Prom Queen🤪--yep, the last night is "Prom")

It's my fav show at sea, on any line. It's not a production show, per se, more like the best cover band.

TIP: if you don't get in, go to the Waterfront right outside & they pipe the music out there during the show.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to NCL!

The link below is to my live post from the Breakaway last year. It will give you a peak at the ship from The Bird’s eye view. The Dailies will give you a feel for the kinds of activities onboard. 

We have sailed on the Breakaway around 6 times. She was a first in class ship (like the Quantum was the first Quantum class ship). And, from a passenger count perspective, the Breakaway is a similar size to the Quantum. 

NCL is pretty religious about “amping”/refurbishing their ships every 5 years so that they are alway fresh and up to date. 

We are Diamond members on RCCL and a “Diamond Plus” equivalent on NCL, sailing on both cruise lines multiple times each year. We prefer NCL. 

Thanks!!

I sure hope NCL and the Breakaway changes our mind!...

Looking forward to all she has to offer and on my way to read you post, thanks for 411 and the link!

10 minutes ago, hallux said:

On the Escape in March I was in line around 8:15 for the 9:30 show and I was right at the elevator lobby!!

Woah...I've never seen more than 50 min prior. Good to know...perhaps show up 90 min early to Maltings!

13 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Most people on NCL tend to book specialty restaurants for sea days. We have a different approach. Sea days are our dedicated ”no schedule whatsoever, we just go with the flow the whole day” days.

Bingo!!

Actually, most of my days (sea or port) are no schedule whatsoever.  If an excursion catches my eye, and it's not booked, I'll spend some (or all) non-refundable shareholder OBC on it.  If there's one we REALLY want, we'll book/pay in advance.  We're down to mostly repeat ports at this point, so been there done that....  If I miss it this time, I'll do it next time, or next time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Bingo!!

Actually, most of my days (sea or port) are no schedule whatsoever.  If an excursion catches my eye, and it's not booked, I'll spend some (or all) non-refundable shareholder OBC on it.  If there's one we REALLY want, we'll book/pay in advance.  We're down to mostly repeat ports at this point, so been there done that....  If I miss it this time, I'll do it next time, or next time.

That is a good idea....

9 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

It likely depends upon how much beach time a person wants/needs.  For me, it's one day max, so GSC it is!  😎

2 hours ago, KKB said:

Woah...I've never seen more than 50 min prior. Good to know...perhaps show up 90 min early to Maltings!

Okay, I like Fleetwood Mac.  I bought the Rumors LP when it came out.  That said, I'm not standing in line an hour and a half to hear a cover band in an overcrowded venue unless all the other music/venues on the ship suck.  This is approaching the "Beatles" level of crazy.

• Like 1