Are we allowed to leave the boat after check in on embarkation day?

arsesta

Hi! My family and I will be travelling on the Celebrity Millennium departing Yokohama next summer. Will have 2 adults, 2 seniors, 1 toddler. Our plan is to arrive in Yokohama the morning of embarkation (after a few days in Tokyo) and see the Cup Noodle museum in Yokohama. Is it feasible to drop off our luggage at the cruise terminal, check all of us in and then walk off the boat for a few hours to check out the museum? We don't have to be on the cruise until 530 pm. The museum is only a mile away from the cruise port. I know it's cutting it close but wonder if this is possible to do it this way. Thank you! 

I suggest you reconsider the plan; even if you're permitted to get on and off the ship on embarkation day.  I've walked back and forth from the pier to the Cup Noodles Museum and it is not an easy stroll.  With a couple of seniors and a toddler in tow, I expect it would be considerably more difficult.  On top of that, if the weather is warm and humid that will take a toll... especially if it rains.  Factoring in the time you'll need to be onboard prior to departure and do your safety procedures this is not likely to be a pleasant way to begin your cruise.

• Like 1

Seems your luggage is the issue.  Agree storing it at the hotel a great idea.  After noon checking in will go really fast.  You need to remember it is closed on Tuesdays.

If that won't work simply drop your luggage at the pier and go to the museum.  Check-in later.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

This is allowed in some ports and not in others. So beware of passengers who report that they successfully did what you propose — , make sure that they tell you which port they were in.

Not only which port but when.  Something that was allowed a few years ago may not be allowed now.

• Like 1

Dropping off luggage takes virtually no time.  Checking in and getting on and off the ship will likely be at least an hour - why do that?  Assuming you are taking a cab to the port have the driver drop your luggage and then continue to the museum.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 10:15 PM, arsesta said:

Hi! My family and I will be travelling on the Celebrity Millennium departing Yokohama next summer. Will have 2 adults, 2 seniors, 1 toddler. Our plan is to arrive in Yokohama the morning of embarkation (after a few days in Tokyo) and see the Cup Noodle museum in Yokohama. Is it feasible to drop off our luggage at the cruise terminal, check all of us in and then walk off the boat for a few hours to check out the museum? We don't have to be on the cruise until 530 pm. The museum is only a mile away from the cruise port. I know it's cutting it close but wonder if this is possible to do it this way. Thank you! 

Book a half day private tour with a company like Toursbylocals: itinerary - pick up at your arrival point in vehicle with driver and guide, go to museum and possibly other places (bags kept in vehicle) tour ends at port. Job done no stress.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 11/26/2023 at 4:15 PM, arsesta said:

From cruise terminal to Cup Noodles Museum is one mile walk, not pleasant under hot or rainy day. I suggest just dropping off your luggage (collection is near the terminal entrance) and store your carryon and anything not required for the museum in a coin locker (400-600 yen) on east side location.. Do you museum tour and  check-in before 4;30-5:00pm, because cruise ship must submit the passenger manifest 90 min before sailing. and you must complete the safety procedure prior to sailing.
https://osanbashi.jp/en/floor/