MDR steaks

Silverspringcruiser

If you are asking has anyone ordered the upcharge steak in the MDR and yes I have done that one time when I had some credit to burn through..   It was very good.  It is nice to have those upcharge items if the menu in the MDR doesn't appeal.   

• Like 1

Also remember in the Pinnacle Grill, you get a choice of 3 different cuts of steak:  Filet Mignon, New York Strip, and Boneless rib eye.  So when comparing steaks in the MDR to the Pinnacle Grill, you may be comparing two different types of steak.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main dining room steaks are hit and miss.  All are Ok, some are pretty good. A few are a little tough or fairly fatty.  None compare to what you get in the Pinnacle.  For me they serve as a good alternate when I don't like the other dinner options. I freely admit I am picky, and I hate salmon, and get sick of chicken as that is what I usually eat at home.  Here is where I wish HAL was like Princess and always had a pasta option every night.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

Is Prime Rib offered anywhere or anytime on Kdam?

I think HAL does a really good job with the prime rib!  It's been very good every time I've ordered it.  If only I could get them to leave off the gravy or horseradish-mustard mouse!  I always ask but sometimes it still gets served with the sauce.  I scrape it off.  I was served plain horseradish once when I asked for it!!

~Nancy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, oakridger said:

I think HAL does a really good job with the prime rib!  It's been very good every time I've ordered it.  If only I could get them to leave off the gravy or horseradish-mustard mouse!  I always ask but sometimes it still gets served with the sauce.  I scrape it off.  I was served plain horseradish once when I asked for it!!

~Nancy

Prime rib was served last night; i don't eat it, but was told it was good.20231129_192007.thumb.jpg.8ff859ef473c21d7c3e82b81e15c8430.jpg

10 hours ago, Silverspringcruiser said:

I'm comparing the two strip loins steaks available in the MDR, the one that's $20 extra, and the one that isn't. 

I know what you are asking about now and have seen it myself a couple times and wondered about it.  I'm not sure why someone would pay $20 more for what sounds like the same thing (except the sides are different), without a clearer explanation on the Menu about what is better on the $20 upcharge steak.

Here is a snippet from Rogerjett that shows an example:

image.png.2299a5954a83f9c6e3ca7cdc75892151.png

Edited by Torquer
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Torquer said:

I know what you are asking about now and have seen it myself a couple times and wondered about it.  I'm not sure why someone would pay $20 more for what sounds like the same thing (except the sides are different), without a clearer explanation on the Menu about what is better on the $20 upcharge steak.

Here is a snippet from Rogerjett that shows an example:

image.png.2299a5954a83f9c6e3ca7cdc75892151.png

Part of the difference could be the size. I'm guessing the regular MDR steak is 8oz the other is 12. I wonder if the MDR steak is perhaps "choice" grade and the other "prime".

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Part of the difference could be the size. I'm guessing the regular MDR steak is 8oz the other is 12. I wonder if the MDR steak is perhaps "choice" grade and the other "prime".

They will probably give you two of the "free" steaks in the MDR if you asked.  If the only difference were size then that would save you $20.  I think you have to take it on faith that the upcharge steak is really any different meat than the "free" one.  But there's a good way to find out. Order one of each and compare (blindfolded) and see which you prefer.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

What restaurant is Prime Rib offered in, MDR?

Yes, it rotates into the menu in the MDR on some itineraries.  Also, club orange I think does it as a special entree once in a while.

Edited by Real NHDOC

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's what I'm thinking. Pinnacle steaks are wet-aged USDA Prime. I'm not really into steak, but the one time I went to Ruth's Chris I understood the appeal. I've been to the steakhouse restaurants on Carnival and Royal Caribbean and, while they were very good they didn't compare.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Real NHDOC said:

They will probably give you two of the "free" steaks in the MDR if you asked.  If the only difference were size then that would save you $20.  I think you have to take it on faith that the upcharge steak is really any different meat than the "free" one.  But there's a good way to find out. Order one of each and compare (blindfolded) and see which you prefer.

Sounds like a good video for a cruise YouTuber to do!

• Haha 1

We were recently on the Oosterdam and Executive Chef Willem had this question posed to him from am audience member during a chat with the CD. He said that the difference between the steaks in the specialty restaurants vs the MDR was just as in our grocery...Prime vs Choice cuts.

That said, the beef in the MDR on that sailing was excellent with the exception of the NY sirloin which I find they always cut too thin and easy to overcook.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, SolentSeawater said:

I had a beautiful Filet Mignon in the MDR last night and it was equally as good as the one I had in the Pinnacle Grill the night before. 

That was my experience also.  I've only ordered a Filet once in the MDR (Nieuw Amsterdam) and it was better than the one I had in Pinnacle Grill.  It's only a two data point comparison though.

16 hours ago, Sea-n-Ease said:

What restaurant is Prime Rib offered in, MDR?

I've had prime rib several times in the Lido buffet at dinner on my last cruises in the fall of 2022. It was as good as the MDR prime rib.

~Nancy