Miami- 3 pm flight disembarkation day- ideas?

hb2618

In my opinion, trying to store luggage and going 'out on the town' prior to a 3:00 pm departure from MIA is a waste of time and energy.  I suggest you get off the ship as late as possible and make your way to the airport.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we sailed with Princess from Seattle, they were offering free of charge ship to airport luggage transfer if you were flying with specific airlines. Not sure yet if this option is available with MIA or FLL. And also there are excursions on disembarkation to kill some time. 

On 11/29/2023 at 8:36 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Have you looked into any excursions your cruise line may offer?

The excursions are either an airport transfer, which gets us there too early (for noon flights)

Or a tour that it's too late (5pm for later flights)

On 11/29/2023 at 8:07 PM, d9704011 said:

In my opinion, trying to store luggage and going 'out on the town' prior to a 3:00 pm departure from MIA is a waste of time and energy.  I suggest you get off the ship as late as possible and make your way to the airport.

Yeah, this is where I'm leaning,  doesn't seem like we have enough time to be worth it. But it feels like it's gonna be a loooong time at the airport 

12 hours ago, hb2618 said:

Yeah, this is where I'm leaning,  doesn't seem like we have enough time to be worth it. But it feels like it's gonna be a loooong time at the airport 

I feel your pain!  I don't know whether you have the wherewithal to get yourself (and traveling companions if you want) into a lounge for a few hours... it has become more difficult, and expensive, to purchase day passes.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:40 PM, trin880 said:

When we sailed with Princess from Seattle, they were offering free of charge ship to airport luggage transfer if you were flying with specific airlines. Not sure yet if this option is available with MIA or FLL. And also there are excursions on disembarkation to kill some time. 

If this is Port Valet (the same program as was offered pre-covid), it is offered by the Port of Seattle, not the cruise lines.  https://www.portseattle.org/page/port-valet-enjoy-seattle-luggage-free

We've never used it but I have read complementary posts.  I don't think it has caught on in other ports.

• Thanks 1

Are you flying in the night before your cruise and staying at a hotel?  If so, perhaps they will let you come back upon return and store luggage while having a nice lunch. 

There are also hotels by the airport that offer day rates if you want a place to hang for a bit. The Miami International Hotel right in the airport will sometimes offer day rooms as well. We know someone from Europe who chose this and then we met them for lunch at the airport. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can google day use hotels there are a few companies that offer day stays at various hotels from Miami up to Ft. Lauderdale or your cruise ship may have Ez Check (they take your bags & check them for you - you don't see them again until you land) which is similar to Port Valet but there is a charge.  In the past Princess has offered EZ Check but I'm not sure about other lines or what it might be called on them or even if still being done on Princess.  We have a late flight & are using a day room on South Beach.  If your flight is at 3p that's really not a lot of time from the time you leave the ship until you need to be at the airport.  Most airlines are saying 1 1/2 to 2 hours before your flight.  You might be able to check your bags in for your flight then go to lunch.  Good luck & hope it goes smoothly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 7:40 PM, trin880 said:

This is offered for all sailings out of Seattle.  Pretty nice!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat, so to speak. Flight home from Miami is at 3pm.  Wondering if anyone has any other ideas besides resort day passes, since actual time spent at the resort will not be much.

We'll have too much luggage to drag around town so wherever we go, we'd need to be able to stash it onsite.  

Thanks for the suggestions!

Have you check if your cruise line offers disembarkation day tours with drop off at MIA?  The usually leave early during the disembarkation process on buses (not full in our experience because they have to be able to place everyone's luggage in their storage area), visit some local attractions and then drop off at the airport in the early afternoon in time for mid to late afternoon flights.

• Like 1

Oh sorry, yes. The only one we're eligible for is the Everglades tour which we just did in September.  It was beautiful but we just did it.

The others are only for flights departing after 5pm. But thank you for the suggestion. If I can't come up with something better, I'll probably revisit the Everglades!

• 1 month later...

With luggage I just don't know if it is worth it. 3pm flight means getting to MIA by 1:00 p.m. If you don't have TSA Pre the lines can get long on a weekend or in the evenings on any day of the week. 

I would just get off the ship as late as possible and head to the airport. Hopefully you are flying out of North Terminal or South Terminal (most airlines use these but a few like Southwest, Frontier and Spirit use the older terminals). North and South have a lot of options to sit and relax, have a decent lunch and even walk around some shops. 

• 3 weeks later...

Last oct i had a 5pm spirit flight out of mia- took my time getting off the ship- and didn't rush through the airport- looked in the shops- grabbed lunch and relaxed-

I think that some do not fully understand the airport situation.  These days, it is wise to arrive about 2 hours pre flight for domestic flights and even longer for internaitonal.  MIA is a large airport and it can be a very long walk from check-in to the gates (depending on your gate).  It can take a good 30 minutes just to drive to the airport (from the port or downtown) and even worse when there are traffic problems.  So even with a 3pm flight, one would need to be on their way to MIA around noon.  

If you can buy lounge access (or have an AMEX Platinum Card with Centurian Lounge access) that might make more sense.

Most of the cruise line excursions (and later airport transfer) specify how the earliest flight and it is often later in the afternoon.  Also keep in mind that a cruise line transfer may not drop you in the most convenient place for your particular airline.

Hank