Your cost of "non-included" dining is going up...

cruisedoctor

1 hour ago, Paula_MacFan said:

This is my question too. We sail next month and prepaid for CG. So at the end of our meal we're going to get a bill for the 18%?

At this point I'd consider switching to Ultimate Balcony Dinner or whatever they're calling it these days. The money is about the same now and we'd get more bang for our buck (pictures, flowers, etc).

i am on the Sky next week so will let you know. 

• Thanks 4

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

Maybe I'm not understanding this right.

First, if I read the above inserted policy correctly, for the charged meals, it is not a gratuity, but a service charge, which can't be refused. An (auto)gratuity can be tacitly accepted, adjusted or refused, unless bought as part of a package. Servers in the specialty restaurants, in our experience, also work in the buffet and are covered by the auto-gratuity, or if you prefer, Crew Appreciation.

Since paying Crew Appreciation is the default, package or not, those who choose the Standard plan, pay 17% more for the same meal. Since neither of us drink, we don't buy a plan. I think we'll pass on specialty dining in the future.

You cannot do a direct price per meal comparison if you compare the standard fare vs the package. The included meals are just that... included... and so it is impossible to attribute any specific value to them and the price is bundled into the package price. The meal is included as is the CA. 

However, if you mean that those on the standard fare will now pay more as a "service charge" is now added then yes, you are correct. So if you intend to do any speciality dining even more reason to get a package.

That is, of course, part of the rationale behind many of the recent changes... to push people more and more towards the packages... I think it is working!

4 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

You cannot do a direct price per meal comparison if you compare the standard fare vs the package. The included meals are just that... included... and so it is impossible to attribute any specific value to them and the price is bundled into the package price. The meal is included as is the CA. 

However, if you mean that those on the standard fare will now pay more as a "service charge" is now added then yes, you are correct. So if you intend to do any speciality dining even more reason to get a package.

That is, of course, part of the rationale behind many of the recent changes... to push people more and more towards the packages... I think it is working!

Sure, but the thinker experts on here ... and I include you ..  realize PCL only gives two freebees per voyage, so the benefit per day declines greatly for longer cruises.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks.  And I bet no mention of +18%?   Maybe it's in the new App... hah!

I think you need to dig a little harder to see whether service charges (in my mind - gratuities) are included in the cover charge for specialty restaurants.  According to the attached, they are.  Don't expect your bill to clearly state it though....

https://www.princess.com/html/global/disclaimers/crew-appreciation/

Just now, d9704011 said:

I think you need to dig a little harder to see whether service charges (in my mind - gratuities) are included in the cover charge for specialty restaurants.  According to the attached, they are.  Don't expect your bill to clearly state it though....

Oh I know they are ... since years now from inception.  What appears as news is a price increase and no longer inclusive of gratuity with it added to bill like a bar drink.  

Or, is it more rumors?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

Has anyone that is currently onboard been charged the additional service charge (18%) for a Specialty Dinner that they paid for before the cruise?

We were charged $78 for the 2 of us at the Catch last Wednesday on the Discovery, no added gratuity/service charge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Last night on the Sapphire my friends were charged $39 + 18% = $46.02 for each dinner they had in Crown grill with me. Funny thing is I don’t see where this is communicated.  When booking on DMW the charge shows as $39 and there is no fine print about the surcharge. 

This is just starting I assume?

I read everyone comments with great interest. To us this isn’t really a concern because we tip at Speciality Dining.  Now, we just won’t tip as much (sounds awful) if Princess wants to play this game. What next, charging for pool towels to cover the cost of laundry services (just kidding). 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As we posted, it is the fine print near the bottom of the actual onboard menus.

If it wasn’t for Cruise Critic, I would have miss that. 

Edited by DHP1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

When I looked at Specialty restaurants on the Princess website yesterday it mentions an 18% service charge applied on the cover charge 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DHP1 said:

Now, we just won’t tip as much (sounds awful) if Princess wants to play this game.

I keep wrestling in my own mind with this very issue, and my concern is how does this impact the human being providing service to me?  I've come to the conclusion that I would rather continue with my SD tipping policy and have that person perhaps get an extra bump rather than having them short-changed because of the games Princess is playing.  But that's me.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

When I looked at Specialty restaurants on the Princess website yesterday it mentions an 18% service charge applied on the cover charge 

Yes, I found that just now and it's clear that 18% wil be added on to the cost of the cover charge.  Seems as though the link I provided earlier is outdated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The problem is getting into these venues between 5:30 and 8.  If you wait until after you board to make a reservation it might be near impossible.  Many here are on back to backs (including us) so they can reserve their 2nd week before you board for that first week.  

I didn’t make reservations until boarding and had no issues. Of course this says nothing about a different ship on a different sailing.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Thanks.  And I bet no mention of +18%?   Maybe it's in the new App... hah!

No I checked that again tonight when I made our reservations for the 8th in Sterling. You know I really did not look for any fine print on the menu. Why would I?  When I go on the 8th  I will look for it. 

I’m  sailing with premier and I was not charged 18% to my onboard account. Of course this is the way it is expected to be. I think I saw some queries though so wanted to state it explicitly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, memoak said:

I’m glad they have it there now. When I’m getting ready to sail especially on a longer itinerary that is simply not a detail I look for on the website. There are just so many more important things to double check! lol. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I’m glad they have it there now. When I’m getting ready to sail especially on a longer itinerary that is simply not a detail I look for on the website. There are just so many more important things to double check! lol. 

They also add 18% to any of the add on extras in the MDRs such as the lobster tail. Filet mignonette, etc.  That is mentioned on the lower left side of the menu in very small print.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

They also add 18% to any of the add on extras in the MDRs such as the lobster tail. Filet mignonette, etc.  That is mentioned on the lower left side of the menu in very small print.

So now in addition to the regular tip each day an anything extra we usually give at the end of the cruise, we can also expect an 18% for the add on's as well. 

Have they missed anything? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

So now in addition to the regular tip each day an anything extra we usually give at the end of the cruise, we can also expect an 18% for the add on's as well. 

Have they missed anything? 

Security screening service charge(s).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1