Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

4 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Thanks!  Seemed like it took forever!  Jim reset his alarm multiple times!

Thanks!  I had my usual insomnia in the wee hours of the night...I should have turned on the TV.  😮 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Thanks!  Seemed like it took forever!  Jim reset his alarm multiple times!

Looks like it took longer then everyone thought because of sailing directly North he veered off on a North West direction.

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

The Peruvians call their Ballestas islands the "Galapagos of Peru"....but there are many birds varieties on the Galapagos that are totally unique to that set of islands.  Our cousins have been there many times, but we have not been there yet.  Still on the bucket list, and would love to see them someday.  🙂 

We’d love to visit the Galápagos Islands too someday!  I would especially love to see the Blue Footed Boobies and Giant Tortoises!

• Like 4

C&A awards.  Several new Pinnies.  John and Laura received their milestone 1750 award, which made me realize we have been on board with them for every milestone they received...including their first newbie Pinnacle award, that included some yummy celebration cake!  😉

20240202_103454.jpg

20240202_110147.jpg

• Like 22

1 hour ago, island lady said:

C&A awards.  Several new Pinnies.  John and Laura received their milestone 1750 award, which made me realize we have been on board with them for every milestone they received...including their first newbie Pinnacle award, that included some yummy celebration cake!  😉

20240202_103454.jpg

20240202_110147.jpg

I think we were on that sailing back in 2002 on Empress of the Seas with John.

Here is a picture of him I took while onboard. He almost looks the same as 22 years ago. Same clothes. 😉

Congrats John and Lala

image.thumb.png.208328f9c0f22a7aa70fc5ffe4a7115d.png

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 14

6 hours ago, sgmn said:

Think it's all of Carnival family of shipping lines including Cunard and P@O.

Was thinking of booking SIN to DXB on Serenade but waiting to see what's happening 

IF you decided to book that mini-segment (and I don't recommend it), do not do it unless you also purchase CANCEL FOR ANY REASON insurance.

🙂  A word to the wise...................

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Already 82 degrees outside at 9 am.   Seas choppy, but not rough.   Upper tier event this morning at 10:30, and then lunch at Izumi is on our schedule.  🙂 

Picked up another good book from the library, and there are actually two of them...the new one on 12 and the old traditional one next to pool tables on 6.  Plenty of relaxing time on days at sea to read in the cabin....plus making sure I keep an eye to the sea for our sea friends when they say hello.  

Current position:

20240202_090951.jpg

A Kindle would come in handy here.  

Following your thread -- keep enjoying

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

IF you decided to book that mini-segment (and I don't recommend it), do not do it unless you also purchase CANCEL FOR ANY REASON insurance.

🙂  A word to the wise...................

Sounds like you know something the rest of us don't know?

Which Empress cruise in 2002? We sailed the repositioning April to May 2002.  San Juan to NYC.  1st ship with passengers allowed into NYC after 9/11.  Immigration didn’t know what to do with us.  Officers sent to Bermuda to do Immigration checks on the day up to NYC. Only problem was 2 of the 4 agents got seasick!  Then they decided to x-ray all the luggage coming off, which as you can imagine took a too much time.   (Very different then x-rays before boarding where the arrival is more spread out.)  Good. cruise though. 

1 hour ago, SherriZ366 said:

A Kindle would come in handy here.  

Following your thread -- keep enjoying

Thanks Sherri!  For some reason I still just like the feel of book in my hands.  Though one day I may go "kindle".  😉 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, island lady said:

20240202_103454.jpg

20240202_110147.jpg

very nice of you to share given things.  We are glad to see this couple.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Sounds like you know something the rest of us don't know?

well given that other cruise lines are moving their ships and RCI is almost one of the last to decide I would say yes hold off or get insurance.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks Sherri!  For some reason I still just like the feel of book in my hands.  Though one day I may go "kindle".  😉 

I struggled with that at first. So I got a leather cover that opens like a book. I love mine now, and typically have 4k books (read and unread) parked on mine. 😁

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I think we were on that sailing back in 2002 on Empress of the Seas with John.

Here is a picture of him I took while onboard. He almost looks the same as 22 years ago. Same clothes. 😉

Congrats John and Lala

image.thumb.png.208328f9c0f22a7aa70fc5ffe4a7115d.png

Still looking good there, John! 😁😉

Edited by barbeyg
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well given that other cruise lines are moving their ships and RCI is almost one of the last to decide I would say yes hold off or get insurance.  

Why hold off, The sailing(April 24th, Singapore to Dubai) that OP was talking about doesn't have be changed, it doesn't go through the Suez Canal.

Most likely the only sailing they will mess with is the May 9th sailing from Dubai to Athens

Edited by Jimbo

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I really like that I have about 1,000 books on my Kindle and suitcases are much lighter.  I used to take about 6 or 7 paperbacks on the cruise.  Now I just take the Kindle and a backup paperback in case I have any problems with the Kindle (but I have had so far and I think I've had a Kindle for about 10 years).  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barbeyg said:

I struggled with that at first. So I got a leather cover that opens like a book. I love mine now, and typically have 4k books (read and unread) parked on mine. 😁

I've always had a leather cover for all the Kindles I've had -- I think I'm on number 5.  

Wow -- 4K books!!  I have to catch up 🤣

I usually click on content and devices and choose what I want to read.  It's on the website and on my phone.  

The pictures are not as great as in a real book but I think it's a good trade.

The other problem is that I've run out of space in my house for more books and that includes a very large built in book case in our great room. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

Why hold off, The sailing(April 24th, Singapore to Dubai) that OP was talking about doesn't have be changed, it doesn't go through the Suez Canal.

Most likely the only sailing they will mess with is the May 9th sailing from Dubai to Athens

Princess just cancelled everything SouthEast Asia incl. Singapore to Dubai. They are now rerouting to Melbourne, then Perth, then directly across the Indian Ocean directly to Mauritius. You never know until there’s an official announcement 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I only have to worry about if and when Serenade gets to Barcelona for us to rejoin the ship, thankfully.  I am very happy we decided many months ago....not to attempt going to the middle east.  😮 

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Princess just cancelled everything SouthEast Asia incl. Singapore to Dubai. They are now rerouting to Melbourne, then Perth, then directly across the Indian Ocean directly to Mauritius. You never know until there’s an official announcement 

Will be interesting for sure, I just think the less  mini-segments they  mess with the better off they will be.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Which Empress cruise in 2002? We sailed the repositioning April to May 2002.  San Juan to NYC.  1st ship with passengers allowed into NYC after 9/11.  Immigration didn’t know what to do with us.  Officers sent to Bermuda to do Immigration checks on the day up to NYC. Only problem was 2 of the 4 agents got seasick!  Then they decided to x-ray all the luggage coming off, which as you can imagine took a too much time.   (Very different then x-rays before boarding where the arrival is more spread out.)  Good. cruise though. 

It was a 5 night out of San Juan. Southern Caribbean. Hated it. The time I learned what Quincanero's meant🤣

Swore off Royal for 6 years, but discovered Mariner in 2008 and loved it

• Like 2
  • Haha 5