Sunset Verandah on the Edge - questions?

debfed65

Hello!  We are looking at booking a Sunset Verandah on the Edge - does anyone have any input/experience they can offer?  I don't know which deck is best to book.  What is the overhang like from the deck above? Is it better to be on a lower deck or higher or middle? 

Any information would be greatly appreciated!  

Cheers

Ron & Debbie 

I have sailed in both 9309 and 10271 on Edge.  I wouldn’t hesitate to book either again.  I prefer those decks…no noise from Eden below or from the OVC above.  There is not much overhang; but you can bring your chair closer to the balcony door for shade.  I love the SV so much that I have the 9th deck SV booked for next weekend on Apex.

Enjoy!

Susan 😎

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lola2013 said:

I have sailed in both 9309 and 10271 on Edge.  I wouldn’t hesitate to book either again.  I prefer those decks…no noise from Eden below or from the OVC above.  There is not much overhang; but you can bring your chair closer to the balcony door for shade.  I love the SV so much that I have the 9th deck SV booked for next weekend on Apex.

Enjoy!

Susan 😎

Thank you Susan.  I was hoping for a bit of shade.  I have never been on an Edge-class vessel, but I am not yet in a place where I would be willing to sail in an IV.  I ended up choosing an SV on Deck 9 on Beyond and an SV on Deck 10 on Xcel.  I made these bookings a bit blind as there were not a tremendous number of SVs to choose from, but I think I landed safely in the middle of any potential noise from above or below.  By the way I will be cruising next week also, but not on Apex.  I will be on MSC Seascape side-by-side with Celebrity Summit, but I see our itineraries do not remotely cross.  It would have been fun to wave to each other.

Edited by Stem to Stern
  • Like 1

We have a SV on Deck 7 mid ship booked on the Ascent and Xcel as they have more cover.  Have spent too many cruises in SVs in the Caribbean and Australia with minimal shade and the balcony was unusable during the day due to the heat. 
We are up late so a little noise from Eden isn’t a issue.

if OP uses the search feature of CC   there are several  long threads sbout these cabins. 

We had a middle  SV on 7...It wss generally fine  (large cabin  nice balc , great  views).  But our next door neighbors had a running frat boy party for many friends,  indoors and on the balc the entire cruise..only quiet was when they were out for meals or bar time! 

Luck of the draw!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Thank you Susan.  I was hoping for a bit of shade.  I have never been on an Edge-class vessel, but I am not yet in a place where I would be willing to sail in an IV.  I ended up choosing an SV on Deck 9 on Beyond and an SV on Deck 10 on Xcel.  I made these bookings a bit blind as there were not a tremendous number of SVs to choose from, but I think I landed safely in the middle of any potential noise from above or below.  By the way I will be cruising next week also, but not on Apex.  I will be on MSC Seascape side-by-side with Celebrity Summit, but I see our itineraries do not remotely cross.  It would have been fun to wave to each other.

…we’ll just have to wait to meet up on Silhouette!  😎

13 hours ago, lola2013 said:

I love the SV so much that I have the 9th deck SV booked for next weekend on Apex.

We also have the 9th deck, middle SV cabin, booked on the Apex next cruise.  Please let me know if it's a 'hassle' asking for a lounger.  Posters here have said that some seem to be accommodated and others not on SV E class.

Edited by Oceangoer2

We just returned from 9 days on Beyond.  We were a large group and had all six SVs on Deck 10 booked in a row.  Very quiet, lovely views, we were able to open all six to wander back and forth and had a great time.  I will say ... we started the week with two chairs, small table and up to two loungers per balcony.  Over the course of the nine days, the loungers started to disappear, LOL.  First one per balcony and eventually none left.  We didn't complain as we rarely used them since it was a family/busy/comings and goings type of cruise, but if it had been just my DH and myself, would likely have used them more and therefore would have asked about them. 

• Like 1

Book the SV.  I always try to book aft cabins on any ship…. I’ve been on deck 11 Apex, no issues with noise. Deck 9 on Beyond, again no issues with noise.  Other than maybe a suite, best cabins on E-class. 

Edited by Tyler414
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

We also have the 9th deck, middle SV cabin, booked on the Apex next cruise.  Please let me know if it's a 'hassle' asking for a lounger.  Posters here have said that some seem to be accommodated and others not on SV E class.

Are we sailing together starting Saturday?  I am also the middle…#9312!  I was lucky getting a lounger on Edge and plan to be equally lucky on Apex!  😉

3 hours ago, sun bum said:

We always book an SV . We have for over 10 years. Just be aware that on the Edge class ships there are no elevators at the back of the ship. Be prepared to walk a long way to and from your cabin.

Those long walks are rewarded with extra gelato 😋🤗😉

3 hours ago, lola2013 said:

Are we sailing together starting Saturday?  I am also the middle…#9312!  I was lucky getting a lounger on Edge and plan to be equally lucky on Apex!  😉

Sorry....I wasn't clear....by next cruise I meant MY next cruise on the Apex Jan. '25, a year away!  Take care of the cabin....that's what we've booked....LOL.

24 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Sorry....I wasn't clear....by next cruise I meant MY next cruise on the Apex Jan. '25, a year away!  Take care of the cabin....that's what we've booked....LOL.

I’ll guard it as if I was sailing in it again…which I will be in December, 2024!

14 hours ago, lola2013 said:

I’ll guard it as if I was sailing in it again…which I will be in December, 2024!

Right before our cruise!  Let me know if you think about it a year from now, how you liked the cabin space, etc.  Would be the 1st time on E class for us.  The lounger is a big thing for me....I wake very early and move out to the balcony with pillow.  Those dinky chairs won't do it.

The SV on Edge, and presumably Apex, is amazing.  Granted, I sail solo, but the cabin is spacious and the bathroom is the largest I have seen (having never been in a suite).  I do find the closet a bit smaller than S class, but ask for the robes to be removed to give me more space.  There’s 3 good-size drawers in the desk, 2 or 3 smaller drawers and the safe in the closet and a huge drawer in the bathroom.  You will also find several nooks and crannies in the cabin next to the closet.  I tend to overpack 😱, but there is still plenty of space!  My requests of the cabin steward:  please empty the minibar, lease remove the robes and please, please, please bring me a lounger!  😎

I received multiple move up bid emails, but would not consider giving up my SV!
You’re going to love it 😍

Susan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on Edge, 12266...Beautiful, larger room. Loungers with foot stools.. Long walk to anywhere.  Soot on the balcony railing and loungers.  Leaned on balcony railing and learned that lesson right away first day.  Attendant gave us extra towels to wipe clean, as he tended to the room 2x a day, and the soot was there soon after each cleaning.  Early morning noise from Oceanview above, chairs moving around.  Would chose a lower level due to the morning noise.  As for the black, mascara smearing soot, not sure if that would help.  

47 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Right before our cruise!  Let me know if you think about it a year from now, how you liked the cabin space, etc.  Would be the 1st time on E class for us.  The lounger is a big thing for me....I wake very early and move out to the balcony with pillow.  Those dinky chairs won't do it.

In March, our cabin steward told us that due to safety reasons, and things that happened just prior to our cruise, that he couldn’t put a lounger on the balcony.  But during the cruise, we had heard (and seen from the ports) that other SV’s had loungers.

So I’m pretty sure I was being fed a line to maybe get a better Gratuity.  However I usually tip extra at the end of the cruise and wasn’t so generous with this room steward as I usually am.  Should I have gave him a tip while I was asking for a lounger?

23 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

In March, our cabin steward told us that due to safety reasons, and things that happened just prior to our cruise, that he couldn’t put a lounger on the balcony.  But during the cruise, we had heard (and seen from the ports) that other SV’s had loungers.

So I’m pretty sure I was being fed a line to maybe get a better Gratuity.  However I usually tip extra at the end of the cruise and wasn’t so generous with this room steward as I usually am.  Should I have gave him a tip while I was asking for a lounger?

I wouldn’t be above bribing the steward to get the lounger.  Hopefully it won’t come to that!  

• Like 1