Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

Bluewake

It all comes down to manners:

1.) Use earbuds if you must be on a call.  Shockingly, when in public, I prefer to use mine when on a call as I can hear the other person better.

2.) Be mindful of your volume, not everyone needs to know your half of the conversation.  If you have to step out of the room, go right ahead.

3.) If someone is using the camera to take a picture or video, don't walk in front of them.  Go around or wait the 30 seconds.

4.) Don't text and walk: you're not the only person there and you could wind up hurting someone (most likely me).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

I carry around two phones all week. Personal and work. I get on the ship put phone in safe and don't turn it back in till we’re back at the dock. Today everyone has to be walking around like zombies, starting at their phone all trip.

This "zombie" uses his mobile device for such nonsense things as:

• Photographs and videos of their vacation. The photos gets uploaded when I'm hooked up to a WiFi spot in port. 
  • Airline ticket, especially checking in for their flight 24 hours in advance
  • Checking my bank balances and any alerts, including clearing alerts for out of country travel
  • Viewing the ship schedule through the cruise line app
  • Checking up with my half-sister who is taking care of my 82 yo mother while I am vacationing.
  • Having a secure copy of my passport card, passport book, global entry card, and drivers license "just in case"
  • Using the parking function of Google Maps so that I know where the ship is "parked" when i go exploring around the port.
  • Player of music that I have downloaded from my media server
  • Player of audiobooks when lounging around the pool
  • Player of videos when lounging around the pool
  • Portable book reader when lounging around the pool

That's the functionality of multiple devices that is combined into a single device. And, yes, I carry around my own headphones so that my personal experience doesn't bother others. I have no desire to go back to the "good old days" where the camera can only hold 36 pictures and you had to change the film, not to mention carrying around a CD player and multiple stacks of CDs. And, quite frankly, I'm more worried about the people who are concerned about which programming will be on their in-room television. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, Bluewake said:

Thank you.  Perhaps I didn't word it correctly but, by no means, was I suggesting "no cell phones whatsover" on the ship.  All I meant to suggest was whether people might support designating 2-3 small areas of the ship [such as a particular lounge, the library, an area of chairs on the Promenade Deck...just like the smoking area is set up, etc. as "Quiet" areas where cell phone conversations, facetiming, playing music or videos by speaker, etc. would not be allowed...and I suppose loud conversations could be included. This simply would afford those who want to read or relax to have some places to do so without being subjected to another passenger's very loud phone conversations, videos, and other noise producing actions. Nothing would prevent a person from using their phone to text or watch videos with earphones or even to receive an incoming call in these areas provided they took that call to another location.  They would have the majority of the ship to do that.  

While I understand your suggestion having been on Edge for almost a month I find that a bit of common sense and personal awareness would go a long way. 

I personally speak with my daughter daily but would never consider doing it in Luminae or even the Retreat lounge.    When I make a phone call I use earbuds and leave the room and find an area, whether it be an outer deck or in the lobby outside of Luminae.

On the other hand I have heard and been disturbed by one Pasanger having a Zoom Call on her PC while sitting in Retreat during morning coffee time where normally it is very quiet.   One of the hosts asked her to use ear phone and she said I'll be finished in just a minute and carried on for another 5 minutes -  All in the lounge could her both sides of the conversation.

As for personal awareness,  there is a Japanese Family that come to the lounge every evening after dinner to have drink and play cards.    I for the life of me don't understand how they don't have awareness they should be using indoor voices.   Yes... remember kindergarten.   From the time they enter the lounge the talk loudly across the entire lounge and then start playing cards yelling and screaming and hooting.    I'm am not pointing out any one culture as I have traveled in Japan often and find most beyond respectful.       Just people of all nationalities should respect the quiet space of others.

The main point of my post was to indicate that use of phones is just one way of annoying others and that if we are all aware of our surroundings it would make for a more comfortable cruise experience.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While I understand your suggestion having been on Edge for almost a month I find that a bit of common sense and personal awareness would go a long way. 

The main point of my post was to indicate that use of phones is just one way of annoying others and that if we are all aware of our surroundings it would make for a more comfortable cruise experience.

Don’t we all wish common sense was common 😁

• Like 2

To think that ships used to take world voyages without satellite communications, radar, collision avoidance systems, computer assisted navigation, etc.  You’re more than welcome to return to those times. I’ll stay in the present. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

To think that ships used to take world voyages without satellite communications, radar, collision avoidance systems, computer assisted navigation, etc.  You’re more than welcome to return to those times. I’ll stay in the present. 

To the best of my knowledge all such "world voyages" completed the itineraries.

It seems that some read the thread title as "no cell phone areas" instead of "no cell phone" areas.  OP was not suggesting a ban in all common areas,  but rather a few quiet "escape" areas.  If someone needed to be available by phone to work or family at all times during their cruise,  they would simply not hang out in those quiet areas.  Sounds reasonable to me.  You'd still have your stateroom and most of the ship to be available and in touch if you need that constant audible connectivity. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, doghog said:

That's a start.

On one of my cruises a young lady broke up with her boyfriend over the phone during dinner.  Or perhaps it was the other way around.  However I did not think that the dining room was going to make it past the main course unless we got the two of them back together 🤣.   I seriously do not want to know everyone's personal business.  I think that most of these obnoxious people should get some counseling from Dr. Phil 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

I carry around two phones all week. Personal and work. I get on the ship put phone in safe and don't turn it back in till we’re back at the dock. Today everyone has to be walking around like zombies, starting at their phone all trip.

Yes there are the few that have a sick one back home etc and need to stay in touch.

How many just want to vent about a poor meal. An excursion they didn't like and a chair hog they're witnessing in real time, as if we’re sitting back home with bated breath WGAS?

Often being connected enhances my vacation. Maybe I’m curious about a bird or other wildlife I saw in port, or want some historical background on a place I visited on a tour I just took. Sometimes on my balcony I’m sailing past an interesting coastline or quaint looking town or exotic little island, so I look at my map function to see what it is and if it’s a place I can visit on land some day, or maybe I just want to follow along on a map because it’s fun for me since I love maps. If I heard about an attraction in an upcoming port that I wasn’t aware of before boarding, I may want to book a tour or find it on foot if possible. Or look up the ingredients in a dish I’ve never had, or find out what something on a menu is. We’re not all just connecting to home or playing video games. Open your mind a little. You never know what someone is doing on their phone.

ETA: Yes I realize some of this can be done at the computer center.

Edited by vjmatty
ETA
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

On one of my cruises a young lady broke up with her boyfriend over the phone during dinner.  Or perhaps it was the other way around.  However I did not think that the dining room was going to make it past the main course unless we got the two of them back together 🤣.   I seriously do not want to know everyone's personal business.  I think that most of these obnoxious people should get some counseling from Dr. Phil 🤣

I shake my head at the number of people who carry on phone conversations while in a public bathroom stall with uh, bodily function noises happening and toilets flushing all around them.  I don't feel like that needs to be a "quiet space," but personally I feel it's kind of disrespectful to the person on the other side of the conversation.  😒

I am a member of the Elks Lodge. At our local lodge, cell phone use is not allowed in the bar room. If a member gets a cell phone call while visiting this bar, the rule is that he/she goes to another area to talk on the phone. And all obey the rule, or are reminded of it. It works out well for all. And it would work on cruise ships. 

• Like 3

I have been on 8 cruises this year on 5 different cruise lines and they all have noise issues and also it is loud venues playing music when unnecessary except to keep crew happy IMHO. I mean even the halls.

Overall it is non cell phones voices that bother me. Then again with alcohol on ship one can expect loud voices as day goes on.

I think folks on ships feel like since they paid good hard earned money, then they have their rights and just go about doing what they want and just do not pay attention. 

For me the one thing not said yet - loudness towards a cell phone user - is if I am using my cell phone to video, please DO NOT talk loud if you are standing near me as I do not want your voices in my video.  So i just wanted to put this comment into the mix. I try to notice folks who are videotaping and be quiet.

toodles.  But could we also have quieter flip flops too. Ha ha

28 minutes ago, Vagabond Knight said:

I shake my head at the number of people who carry on phone conversations while in a public bathroom stall with uh, bodily function noises happening and toilets flushing all around them.  I don't feel like that needs to be a "quiet space," but personally I feel it's kind of disrespectful to the person on the other side of the conversation.  😒

Oh I just flush lot and cough a lot.

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2023 at 2:10 PM, Bluewake said:

Thank you.  Perhaps I didn't word it correctly but, by no means, was I suggesting "no cell phones whatsover" on the ship.  All I meant to suggest was whether people might support designating 2-3 small areas of the ship [such as a particular lounge, the library, an area of chairs on the Promenade Deck...just like the smoking area is set up, etc. as "Quiet" areas where cell phone conversations, facetiming, playing music or videos by speaker, etc. would not be allowed...and I suppose loud conversations could be included. This simply would afford those who want to read or relax to have some places to do so without being subjected to another passenger's very loud phone conversations, videos, and other noise producing actions. Nothing would prevent a person from using their phone to text or watch videos with earphones or even to receive an incoming call in these areas provided they took that call to another location.  They would have the majority of the ship to do that.  

The problem with this is that you didn't title it "set aside quiet areas". Your title was a very specific complete sentence that specified cell phones are the problem. By default that became the first sentence of your post and set off knee-jerk reactions that derailed the discussion you wanted to have about quiet areas.  People read it as CELL PHONES BAD!!! and stopped reading and started typing.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 1

I carry a cell phone on board because it's my camera. And sometimes texting is  my "voice" because I cruise with best friend who's severely hearing impaired and  texting is our "voice" messages when we're not together.  And when we are together, even though she has very high tech hearing aids and reads lips, we sometimes supplement conversation with texts.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

56 minutes ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

The problem with this is that you didn't title it "set aside quiet areas". Your title was a very specific complete sentence that specified cell phones are the problem. By default that became the first sentence of your post and set off knee-jerk reactions that derailed the discussion you wanted to have about quiet areas.  People read it as CELL PHONES BAD!!! and stopped reading and started typing.

The tile is pretty straight forward , I understood to be a quiet zone 

Would you support "no cell phone" areas on Ships?

At our gym there is a no talking on the cell phone policy.  You can use them to play music (with headphones of course) and text but the people there don't want to hear your flippin conversation.  It is a very good policy IMHO.  No BS at the gym.  Maybe Celebrity could up their game also?

We could hope that people would be respectful,  but they aren't...

You can take your cell phone and walk to another area to take a call.

Now it is probably a good thing that the ships have railings as some people talking on their cell phones would walk directly off of the ship into the water ... 🙃

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Sorry, but that's not a problem with the title, that's a problem with reading comprehension. 

Apparently, the OP needed to title the thread "Just a Question: Would you support "no cell phone" AREAS on Ships?"  Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's possible to change the font size and color on a thread title.

• Like 2

A good start would be to re- establish the Solariums as a spa- like quiet zone.   X used to make that point, played soothing pan flute spa  music etc

Now we have loud folks partying in  the hot tubs,  all day card playing at the tables and  the slobbering snorers! Not very zen like!

• Like 1