🚢 SYMPHONY LIVE -12/16-12/24 🚢 She’s sort of like a song. 🚢

h20skibum

9 hours ago, Dan83 said:

I just wanted to share some of our excitement about tomorrow’s cruise. I’ve had a bad round of kidney stones these past few weeks that has threatened to put this trip in jeopardy. The doctor went in and got the stone Tuesday. And this morning I had the stent removed. Three hours later we boarded our flight to West Palm Beach. I’m not going to let a little 5mm chunk of calcium get in the way of this vacation. To say the last few days have been uncomfortable is a bit of an understatement. But when we board the Symphony in 12 hours, all will be forgotten. 

I am quite sure Symphony has enough alcohol aboard to take care of any issues with calcium that decide to act up this coming week.

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, harryfat1 said:

Thanks, Mark.

After I compared the two ship's itinerary, I became curious on why the Symphony seems to be spending less time in port than the Odyssey and arriving at the next port at a slightly delayed time and coming back to Florida 45 minutes later even though both ships are leaving Labadee the same time.

If you get a chance, take some pictures of the cruise map while on board to see how fast the ship is sailing and I'll do the same for my cruise and we'll compare notes afterwards in this non scientific comparison. 

I'm wondering if RCI is slowing down the Oasis class ships compared to others due to its size and less fuel consumption in order to save money.

It could also have to do with port scheduling and dealing with several arrivals in a short period on time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LisaLisa87 said:

Happy embarkation day! I’ve enjoyed following your journey to this point and looking forward to reading about your experiences on the ship. We’ll be on Symphony in January 2025 — way too long to wait!

14 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Happy cruise day Mark!  Bon voyage!

Thanks to both of you.  It isn’t raining at the moment.  Bags are packed and ready to go in the car. Leaving shortly to hopefully avoid some rain. 

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Looks like she tied up port side to the pier.

Nope, tied up on the starboard side.  Easy way to remember is Port and Left have the same number of letters.  

I even have a pair of socks that are labeled left and right, so if I forget, I just have to look down. 😂

I am ok, unless I put two lefts on, but I only do that when I go dancing, so I have an excuse. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Thanks to both of you.  It isn’t raining at the moment.  Bags are packed and ready to go in the car. Leaving shortly to hopefully avoid some rain. 

Nope, tied up on the starboard side.  Easy way to remember is Port and Left have the same number of letters.  

I

Looks to me like her bow is on the left side of that picture which puts her port side against the pier... unless I just can't tell what your perspective was when taking the photo.

• Like 2

Easy drive to the port.   Twelve minutes from the hotel.  Luggage dropped, thru security, and waiting in the terminal. 

Took a little longer, because Daryl got stuck in the scanner.   He wanted to know why we didn’t have to ride on that belt.  

He is giving me death stares. 

IMG_9650.thumb.jpeg.aa76feb6b3c90138968a9d5dfcb17254.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

6 hours ago, h20skibum said:

You got me curious also, so I did a little researching.  I think Odyssey may just be a sleeker, faster ship.  How fast a ship is sailing depends on many factors, like wind speed, sea conditions, and if they have time to make up.  It could also vary if they are trying to avoid a storm.  Or, maybe the captain’s wife is yelling at him to slow down (which happens to me sometimes when out on our boat)

So I looked at data on both ships on marine traffic dot com. This morning, Symphony was sailing at 14.9kn, but is almost back to port

IMG_6529.thumb.jpeg.bbc748e9abd3b9b94a1b563b00e5ae9a.jpeg

Odyssey, on the other hand,  was sailing at 21.7kn down in the Caribbean Sea 

IMG_6533.thumb.jpeg.145cf07af7998d8de80dc715e93035e7.jpeg

The maximum during the last voyage for Symphony was 18.2 knots with an average speed of 13.1 knots.

IMG_6530.thumb.jpeg.68dc79ab27b2d88a4533ae97d769b9da.jpeg

While that hot rod Odyssey was maxing at 23 knots and averaging 20.3 knots. 

IMG_6534.thumb.jpeg.87d07ea6f0566bed56e343ba808c2e4c.jpeg

I may have a daily picture, but it would just b a snapshot in time.  

Cool info. Sorry to bother you on busy embarkation with such trivial question.

Have a great cruise and we will share info when we both get back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

They can however cancel and get a FCC which I guess is pretty nice. Especially if you are local and not a problem changing your dates.

I guess for anyone local the biggest issue is if they've arranged PTO. And they'd probably be glad to get out of sailing into a storm.

But a real lousy situation for anyone coming from farther afield. I really feel for everyone who's having their eagerly awaited trip messed up. ☹️

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Looks to me like her bow is on the left side of that picture which puts her port side against the pier... unless I just can't tell what your perspective was when taking the photo.

You are right, the bow is to the left in the photo. The photo is from the entrance to the port from the sea.  Symphony is at terminal 18, and Apex is across the channel. 

IMG_9652.thumb.jpeg.76212db4b6ea810aa5e9a3b23e7d093a.jpeg

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Easy drive to the port.   Twelve minutes from the hotel.  Luggage dropped, thru security, and waiting in the terminal. 

Took a little longer, because Daryl got stuck in the scanner.   He wanted to know why we didn’t have to ride on that belt.  

He is giving me death stares. 

IMG_9650.thumb.jpeg.aa76feb6b3c90138968a9d5dfcb17254.jpeg

Didn't get too wet, did you.  Hardly getting any so far up here.  Forecast is predicting close to 3 inches before this passes.

2 hours ago, mo&fran said:

Didn't get too wet, did you.  Hardly getting any so far up here.  Forecast is predicting close to 3 inches before this passes.

It was perfect.  Dry, and not too windy when we boarded.  Walked onboard at 11am, with Daryl in tow. 

IMG_9653.thumb.jpeg.064f46cac9061313075a3053d42eda6f.jpeg

Thanks for the bon voyage wishes, everyone. 

• Like 10