Problems on the Queen Victoria?

babs135

For the last two days I've been hearing about people complaining of banging and shuddering on the Victoria. It could be absolutely nothing more than heavy waves, although one person is claiming that they were told that 'something is broken'!!  Anyone on board now who can help?  

I don't know anything about current issues on QV but when I sailed between Los Angeles and Hawaii some years ago on her it would slam and bang in somewhat heavy seas. I prefer a forward stateroom and shoe would porpoise somewhat - we could feel ourselves rise and fall in the bed for the first couple of days out from California. She rode smoother when the weather and seas quieted down.

10 minutes ago, sogne said:

She was doing 19.4 kn off lisbon earlier with Cadiz ETA 0745 Friday as planned. NW gales across Biscay veering from sw so head seas to beam seas. Speed does not indicate mechanical problem.

21kn earlier calm seas according to 2 social media contributors. Noise was storm. A  social media poster claims she was told some weeks ago rudder needs adjustment. Beware the social media expert.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sogne said:

21kn earlier calm seas according to 2 social media contributors. Noise was storm. A  social media poster claims she was told some weeks ago rudder needs adjustment. Beware the social media expert.

Given the ship doesn't have a conventional rudder, I'd say it needs a lot more than an adjustment 😉 

• Haha 4

Just come off QV and no problems I was aware off. Bounced about a bit in high winds in North Sea but that was due to the weather.  I doubt also that a crew member would tell a guest something was broken ? Made good speed coming back as well due to extended stay in Rotterdam because of poor weather. 

Aloha.  Have been blessed to sail in QV and did not experience the banging issue you described. That said, have been in other ships over the years and if we chose a lower deck forward cabin did experience banging which whilst I am not an engineer believes it to be the waves crashing in and around the bow of the ship.  

• Like 1

My heart sank when reading this,we're boarding on the 23rd,hope we're not standing on the dock side, suitcases in hand and no ship.Last year we were in dry dock for two days whilst a propeller was replaced. The ship does indeed bang loudly when waves crash into her,pleeeeease someone tell me that is all it is 🤞🤞🤞🤞

22 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

We disembarked on 6 December. No problems whatsoever for our 12 days, except too short.

We were on that cruise and the noise and some juddering at the back of the dining room some evenings was pretty bad. There was lots of talk about it. It was very similar last year at the same time as we always ate in that part of the dining room, and I know they had to do some work in dry dock, was it a pod?  I had expected it to be much improved this year, but it was only a little better. Some passengers said to us that they believed it was never the same since they added the rooms etc. on the back, causing all the noise(not just the wake or other normal noise) I have no idea as we had never eaten in that part of the dining room before last year and this.

We were in Q5 aft on deck 4 on 24th Nov-6th Dec and the noise and vibration was that bad we were moved from the suite. We have cruised before aft on QE and other ships and never encountered noise and vibration like that. We also had issues where we couldn't use the toilet and with the smells around the ship there was obviously a problem throughout the ship. The entrance to the theatre on deck 3 was awful every evening.

Edited by majortom10

15 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

We were in Q5 aft on deck 4 on 24th Nov-6th Dec and the noise and vibration was that bad we were moved from the suite. We have cruised before aft on QE and other ships and never encountered noise and vibration like that.

Vibrations were felt aft higher up but our sleep wasn't really disturbed. Didn't notice any problem during the day.

On 12/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, sogne said:

rudder???? The Queen Victoria doesn't have a rudder!

social media....experts......bah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am by no means experienced, but these beautiful ships ARE pieces of metal rivetted/welded 

/glued (well, maybe NOT glued) together and they are bobbing along on the open ocean. Surely one would expect some noise?

Edited by maggielou362
add

12 hours ago, maggielou362 said:

I am by no means experienced, but these beautiful ships ARE pieces of metal rivetted/welded 

/glued (well, maybe NOT glued) together and they are bobbing along on the open ocean. Surely one would expect some noise?

Of course, but there is noise and NOISE. We only noticed the bad noise/vibrations  in the back of Britannia lower dining room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We were in Q5 aft on deck 4 on 24th Nov-6th Dec and the noise and vibration was that bad we were moved from the suite. We have cruised before aft on QE and other ships and never encountered noise and vibration like that. We also had issues where we couldn't use the toilet and with the smells around the ship there was obviously a problem throughout the ship. The entrance to the theatre on deck 3 was awful every evening.

Yes, I agree about the toilet flush problem, and some smell issues around the ship We had a couple of times we couldn't flush the toilet, once for over an hour. We were on deck 6 and quite a few passengers were out reporting it to the stewards who said it was being worked on. So grateful to those members of crew! It was our first experience of that problem on our many Cunard cruises but we have had it happen on other cruise lines. So it can be an issue. 

37 minutes ago, maz48 said:

Yes, I agree about the toilet flush problem, and some smell issues around the ship We had a couple of times we couldn't flush the toilet, once for over an hour. We were on deck 6 and quite a few passengers were out reporting it to the stewards who said it was being worked on. So grateful to those members of crew! It was our first experience of that problem on our many Cunard cruises but we have had it happen on other cruise lines. So it can be an issue. 

We didn't really have our toilet working at all for most of the first five days even to the conclusion of having an engineer out at 1130pm on one evening and was told by concierge to use public toilets.

20 hours ago, maz48 said:

We were on that cruise and the noise and some juddering at the back of the dining room some evenings was pretty bad. There was lots of talk about it. It was very similar last year at the same time as we always ate in that part of the dining room, and I know they had to do some work in dry dock, was it a pod? 

We were on that one too (24 Nov - 6 Dec) and thought the same when eating in the lower Britannia level (deck 2) for breakfast or lunch.  Very similar to the vibration we experienced on the same cruise last year shortly before she had two days in dry dock

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

TBH we are very rarely in our cabin/suite whatever ship we are on.

We spend a lot of day time in our cabin so comfort is pretty vital, as it is for everyone, obviously but more so if more time is spent there during the day which is why I can say aft noise and vibrations just didn't affect us at all and only when head hit the pillows did anything make its presence felt but not enough, apart from the 48hr lumpy sea, to disturb us.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

We didn't really have our toilet working at all for most of the first five days even to the conclusion of having an engineer out at 1130pm on one evening and was told by concierge to use public toilets.

Oh wow, sorry you had that experience, we were very lucky then. Trotting down to the nearest public toilet one, twice or three times a night, as my husband(and others) would need to do would not be my idea of fun. 

I must add here that we had an amazing cruise, and as we only went to the dining room about 5 or 6 times the noise/vibrations was not a huge issue overall and did not affect our enjoyment.  Off topic and a first world issue though, I was,  shall I say, amused and slightly concerned, by the size and quality of the muffins every day at breakfast time in the Lido buffet. What have they done  to them? The double chocolate ones were about 1 and half inches deep and looked very strange, tiny all round. They removed the whole tray of them and replaced them with a different kind early on during breakfast. The blueberry ones were not much better,  small, with hardly a blueberry in sight and didn't seem fluffy like a muffin should. Either they changed the recipe or bought a less quality muffin mix. However, they were perfect in the Chart Room for morning coffee, just like before, so good. They must make them elsewhere for there. I guess Cunard must be looking after our weight and health😂

1 hour ago, maz48 said:

Oh wow, sorry you had that experience, we were very lucky then. Trotting down to the nearest public toilet one, twice or three times a night, as my husband(and others) would need to do would not be my idea of fun. 

I must add here that we had an amazing cruise, and as we only went to the dining room about 5 or 6 times the noise/vibrations was not a huge issue overall and did not affect our enjoyment.  Off topic and a first world issue though, I was,  shall I say, amused and slightly concerned, by the size and quality of the muffins every day at breakfast time in the Lido buffet. What have they done  to them? The double chocolate ones were about 1 and half inches deep and looked very strange, tiny all round. They removed the whole tray of them and replaced them with a different kind early on during breakfast. The blueberry ones were not much better,  small, with hardly a blueberry in sight and didn't seem fluffy like a muffin should. Either they changed the recipe or bought a less quality muffin mix. However, they were perfect in the Chart Room for morning coffee, just like before, so good. They must make them elsewhere for there. I guess Cunard must be looking after our weight and health😂

Wouldn't really know because we didn't use either the Lido or Britannia for meals and was not interested in muffins for breakfast