Live Neptune TA Dec.12 -23

mariners

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from mariners! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Live Cruise Reports page.. . When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

mariners was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

We are onboard the Viking Neptune trans-Atlantic.  Although this is our first Viking Ocean cruise, we have sailed ocean crossings on other cruise lines. There are many other Cruise Critic members onboard.  I hope that others will join in and share their thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

Boarding in Lisbon was a pleasure.  Within 20 minutes of our arrival at the port, we were onboard with a glass of champagne/sparkling wine in hand.  We went to the World Café, and sat outside on the Aquavit Terrace to enjoy the wonderful weather and the gorgeous views of Lisbon.  The selection of food from the buffet was excellent, and we could not have asked for better service from the bar staff.  It was a great introduction to Viking Ocean.

From there, we went to the Lanai and relaxed on the very comfortable loungers until our cabin was ready.  I had been concerned that the odor from chlorine in the area might be overwhelming as the roof was closed, but there was no issue where we sat. 

It wasn’t long until the “cabins are ready” announcement was made.  We went to our cabin and our luggage was already inside waiting to be unpacked. 

The DV2 cabin, on first glance, was very impressive.  It continues to impress us, but it took me two days to finally figure out where I could place the majority of items/clothing that I had brought with us.  (Now that I’ve been onboard, I’ll pack more strategically for next year’s cruise.) I wouldn’t change a thing in the bathroom as there is loads of storage space, and a shower that has plenty of room, great water pressure, and is, IMO, perfect.

We continue to explore the various public spaces onboard.  My DH and I have very different daily routines on ocean crossings.  He has completely been won over by the fitness and spa area.  I love the sports deck walking/running track, and am sure that I will love the Promenade on Deck 2 (unfortunately, the weather has not been conducive to it being open). 

We enjoy having the option of different lounges in the evening, and are still figuring out if we have a location of choice (which we usually do on ships) or if we will choose a lounge based on where we are dining and/or the entertainment.  Each lounge has a different vibe and, for us, we have found that it is the entertainment that creates the vibe rather than the décor.  Service in every lounge has been excellent.

We have not had breakfast since we boarded the ship, and will likely not have it more than once during the cruise.  Someone else will have to provide the information about the breakfasts onboard this crossing.

We typically have lunch in the World Café, where the buffets have consistently provided a myriad of tasty selections.  One day, however, my DH chose to have a very small salad.  I was impressed with his self-restraint J.  A few hours later, he returned to the cabin to inform me that he had the best hot dog and fries he had ever had on a ship from the Pool Grill, and I plan to find out if his opinion is correct some time over the next couple of days.  I might even have to spend more time at the Pool Grill on other days just to check out the tuna, as well as the hamburgers.

We have had two dinners in The Restaurant.  The first time we dined at a table of four with individuals we met onboard.  This was a mistake on our part, and I’ll leave it at that.  The second time we dined at The Restaurant, it was at a table for two.  We could not have asked for better service.  Every course was delicious, served at the correct temperature, flavourful, and cooked to perfection.  The wait staff/wine steward ensured that we had the correct order and were happy with our selections.

Dinner in the World Café was good.  There is an abundance of food choices, and there has been a large selection of seafood and salads.  It appears that there are some of the same dishes as in The Restaurant.  It’s a great option for people who want a more casual evening, as well as a different selection of food.  The service, as in all of the venues, is excellent.

Last night, we had our first dinner in one of the specialty restaurants.  We dined in the Chef’s Table.   It was the Asian Panorama menu.  The meal was extraordinary and every dish had a surprise explosion of flavour that enhanced the main ingredient(s).  For us, the dessert was okay, but it didn’t have the “wow” factor for us that the rest of the meal provided.  YMMV

Mother Nature has decided that the passengers need to enjoy the inside of the ship.  The outer decks have had to be closed at various times because of wind, rain, and/or rough seas.  Passengers have written about how stable these ships are in rough weather, so I’m presuming that the significant motion/thumping/etc. is as a result of the wave and wind direction.  According to the information provided by the Captain, we are sailing in Beaufort Force 4 to 5 wind.  (We have previously sailed through stronger winds on other ships and had less agitated motion.)  

As I am writing this, the sun has decided to peek through the clouds, and I can see the ocean to watch for wildlife.  I am, therefore, signing off for today.  Watching the ocean is my favourite thing to do onboard a cruise ship.

Wishing everyone a great day.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, mariners said:

We are onboard the Viking Neptune trans-Atlantic.  Although this is our first Viking Ocean cruise, we have sailed ocean crossings on other cruise lines. There are many other Cruise Critic members onboard.  I hope that others will join in and share their thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

Boarding in Lisbon was a pleasure.  Within 20 minutes of our arrival at the port, we were onboard with a glass of champagne/sparkling wine in hand.  We went to the World Café, and sat outside on the Aquavit Terrace to enjoy the wonderful weather and the gorgeous views of Lisbon.  The selection of food from the buffet was excellent, and we could not have asked for better service from the bar staff.  It was a great introduction to Viking Ocean.

From there, we went to the Lanai and relaxed on the very comfortable loungers until our cabin was ready.  I had been concerned that the odor from chlorine in the area might be overwhelming as the roof was closed, but there was no issue where we sat. 

It wasn’t long until the “cabins are ready” announcement was made.  We went to our cabin and our luggage was already inside waiting to be unpacked. 

The DV2 cabin, on first glance, was very impressive.  It continues to impress us, but it took me two days to finally figure out where I could place the majority of items/clothing that I had brought with us.  (Now that I’ve been onboard, I’ll pack more strategically for next year’s cruise.) I wouldn’t change a thing in the bathroom as there is loads of storage space, and a shower that has plenty of room, great water pressure, and is, IMO, perfect.

We continue to explore the various public spaces onboard.  My DH and I have very different daily routines on ocean crossings.  He has completely been won over by the fitness and spa area.  I love the sports deck walking/running track, and am sure that I will love the Promenade on Deck 2 (unfortunately, the weather has not been conducive to it being open). 

We enjoy having the option of different lounges in the evening, and are still figuring out if we have a location of choice (which we usually do on ships) or if we will choose a lounge based on where we are dining and/or the entertainment.  Each lounge has a different vibe and, for us, we have found that it is the entertainment that creates the vibe rather than the décor.  Service in every lounge has been excellent.

We have not had breakfast since we boarded the ship, and will likely not have it more than once during the cruise.  Someone else will have to provide the information about the breakfasts onboard this crossing.

We typically have lunch in the World Café, where the buffets have consistently provided a myriad of tasty selections.  One day, however, my DH chose to have a very small salad.  I was impressed with his self-restraint J.  A few hours later, he returned to the cabin to inform me that he had the best hot dog and fries he had ever had on a ship from the Pool Grill, and I plan to find out if his opinion is correct some time over the next couple of days.  I might even have to spend more time at the Pool Grill on other days just to check out the tuna, as well as the hamburgers.

We have had two dinners in The Restaurant.  The first time we dined at a table of four with individuals we met onboard.  This was a mistake on our part, and I’ll leave it at that.  The second time we dined at The Restaurant, it was at a table for two.  We could not have asked for better service.  Every course was delicious, served at the correct temperature, flavourful, and cooked to perfection.  The wait staff/wine steward ensured that we had the correct order and were happy with our selections.

Dinner in the World Café was good.  There is an abundance of food choices, and there has been a large selection of seafood and salads.  It appears that there are some of the same dishes as in The Restaurant.  It’s a great option for people who want a more casual evening, as well as a different selection of food.  The service, as in all of the venues, is excellent.

Last night, we had our first dinner in one of the specialty restaurants.  We dined in the Chef’s Table.   It was the Asian Panorama menu.  The meal was extraordinary and every dish had a surprise explosion of flavour that enhanced the main ingredient(s).  For us, the dessert was okay, but it didn’t have the “wow” factor for us that the rest of the meal provided.  YMMV

Mother Nature has decided that the passengers need to enjoy the inside of the ship.  The outer decks have had to be closed at various times because of wind, rain, and/or rough seas.  Passengers have written about how stable these ships are in rough weather, so I’m presuming that the significant motion/thumping/etc. is as a result of the wave and wind direction.  According to the information provided by the Captain, we are sailing in Beaufort Force 4 to 5 wind.  (We have previously sailed through stronger winds on other ships and had less agitated motion.)  

As I am writing this, the sun has decided to peek through the clouds, and I can see the ocean to watch for wildlife.  I am, therefore, signing off for today.  Watching the ocean is my favourite thing to do onboard a cruise ship.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Nice observations!  We enjoyed meeting you at our VC meet and mingle!   We also were at CT last night and doing MDR tonight.  We are a bit of Viking veterans, but this ship IMHO has had the most incredible service (our stewards have been the best ever!), as well as the food at WC, CT, and Manfredis.  We must have an excellent chef!

Only disappointment is that the Asian bar is closed due to malfunction door.  We’ve always enjoyed that place back by Aquavit Bar.

the seas don’t seem that rough to us and we’ve had worse.  Sitting in Explorers, looking out, and watching the sun finally break through!

• Like 3

We just did the TA on board the VO Sky and the Asian bar was closed the entire 2-weeks (ended Nov 30th).  I didn't ask why.  Doubtful that there is a door problem on 2 VO ships at nearly the same time... ? ...conspiracy theory forming... LOL

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, minka34 said:

We just did the TA on board the VO Sky and the Asian bar was closed the entire 2-weeks (ended Nov 30th).  I didn't ask why.  Doubtful that there is a door problem on 2 VO ships at nearly the same time... ? ...conspiracy theory forming... LOL

On the same cruise with you.  Don't believe that the Asian section by the Aquivat bar ever existed on the Sky.

Could be wrong.

There was a section that looked like a door in the place where the Asian bar usually is.  I just assumed that it was there behind the panel.  It's really just a counter where they serve food as opposed to an actual room you go in.  I thought that for the most part, all VO ships were the same (except for the ones with the observatory on them).  I'd have to check but I don't think I've been on the Sky before - looks like all the others!

CCWineLover, it was great to meet you in person at the M & M that you arranged.  We can't thank you enough for setting everything in place, making the name tags, greeting everyone, and arranging for VO to provide space for our large group.  VO did a fantastic job, and it was the best M & M I have ever attended both before or after COVID.  Everything the staff and crew did to make the event special was much appreciated, and a sign of what I now know is the "Viking Way".  

I agree that the seas do not appear to be rough.  Nor is it an issue walking around the ship.  In my DH's words, "It's the shake you awake; it's time to get up" type of motion, and is most noticeable, to us, in bed at night.  That's why I thought it might be the direction of the wind, or something similar that was creating the specific motion.  Regardless, there are no seasickness bags hanging in the hallway, and we are not confined to our cabins where sandwiches are brought for meals as it's too dangerous for the kitchen staff to cook, so all is good.

I have searched the deck plans online, and on the app, and cannot find the Asian bar.  Hopefully, it will open before the end of our cruise as it appears to be a popular setting.

We are loving the cruise.

Edited by mariners
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, MikeyB said:

Don't believe that the Asian section by the Aquivat bar ever existed on the Sky.

Could be wrong.

You are correct. Star, Sea and Sky (the first three ships) do not have the Asian section in the Aquavit Bar area. It was introduced either with the Sun (now sailing exclusively in China) or the ship after that one (can't remember the order of the ships after Sun).

15 hours ago, mariners said:

CCWineLover, it was great to meet you in person at the M & M that you arranged.  We can't thank you enough for setting everything in place, making the name tags, greeting everyone, and arranging for VO to provide space for our large group.  VO did a fantastic job, and it was the best M & M I have ever attended both before or after COVID.  Everything the staff and crew did to make the event special was much appreciated, and a sign of what I now know is the "Viking Way".  

I agree that the seas do not appear to be rough.  Nor is it an issue walking around the ship.  In my DH's words, "It's the shake you awake; it's time to get up" type of motion, and is most noticeable, to us, in bed at night.  That's why I thought it might be the direction of the wind, or something similar that was creating the specific motion.  Regardless, there are no seasickness bags hanging in the hallway, and we are not confined to our cabins where sandwiches are brought for meals as it's too dangerous for the kitchen staff to cook, so all is good.

I have searched the deck plans online, and on the app, and cannot find the Asian bar.  Hopefully, it will open before the end of our cruise as it appears to be a popular setting.

We are loving the cruise.

Thx for the kind words.

as for our cruise, again have to say it’s been one of our best in terms of food and service.  Another fabulous dinner at MDR last night with good friends!

Filling out our mid cruise feedback form.  Top of the list:  TURN DOWN the volume on the Attrium and Explorers piano, duo, and piano players!  Can’t even carry on a conversation!  Ridiculous!  Never ever had it so loud and deafening on previous Viking ships.  Hopefully it’s a one off issue.  These are not concerts. They should be “background” bar music.  Minor issues though.

But  on the whole the ship itself is fantastic!!!

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, minka34 said:

There was a section that looked like a door in the place where the Asian bar usually is.  I just assumed that it was there behind the panel.  It's really just a counter where they serve food as opposed to an actual room you go in.  I thought that for the most part, all VO ships were the same (except for the ones with the observatory on them).  I'd have to check but I don't think I've been on the Sky before - looks like all the others!

Been on the Star, Sea and Sky and no food service at all in that area.  On the Jupiter there was an omlette station in the AM and a noodle station for dinner.  The Orion and Jupiter were the first VO ships with some slight slight changes.  Most likely not noticable unless you've sailed the earlier ones.  I hear that all ships since Jupiter have some sort of food station back there.  

CCWineLover, I understand why you made the comments about the music.  Last night, we sat on deck 2 of the Atrium, which I think is called the Living Room, and had a pre-dinner cocktail.  On that level, we could have a conversation with each other, but still enjoy the background music.  On deck 1 of the Atrium where we sat the night before, there were quite a few passengers who were intently listening to the music and I presumed, from what I saw, that deck 1 was for those who wanted to focus on the performance, deck 2 was for those who wanted to listen to background music and still have a conversation, and deck 3 was for those who were playing card games, and others who were more boisterous.  We, similar to you, also want a place where we can have a conversation.

We had the pleasure of dining in Manfredi’s last night. The service, once again, was impeccable.  The chef, and kitchen staff, provided a five star meal.  The tuna loin carpaccio enhanced, but not overwhelmed, by the other ingredients.  The Linguine ai Gamberi was perfectly prepared with the pasta al dente, the shrimp firm and tasting of the sea, and the cherry tomatoes could have been freshly picked from the garden that morning.  When the Viking Bistecca was served, I was a bit concerned as it was not “thick cut” and we are quite fussy when it comes to how beef is prepared.  My concern was unwarranted.  It was cooked to order, filled with the flavours from the rub, and was melt in your mouth tender.   Kudos to the chef and kitchen staff! 

It’s always interesting, to me, to try out new cruise lines/cruise ships, and figure out cabin locations, restaurants, bars, etc.  On this cruise, we booked a guarantee cabin, and were placed on deck 6 next to a suite. Passengers, on a variety of cruise lines, complain about the noise from being below, or above, a pool deck, restaurant, nightclub, etc.  On our third morning onboard this ship, from just before 4:30 a.m. until about 7:00 a.m., the noise from above made it impossible to sleep. I wasn’t sure how we would cope with the daily event.  If I had read the program thoroughly, I would have known that the deck and housekeeping staff would have been working in the area and that it was a one-off experience.  Now, I still wouldn’t book this cabin, but that’s because there is a bright light that shines all night on the veranda, and it’s not one that can be turned off.  As I love to watch the night sky, I now know that this would not be a location on the ship that I would choose. 

Last night, later in the evening, the sea swells became perfect, IMO, for sleeping.  In fact, I might need some agitation to the sea again as now I’m in a sea “fog”; no massages necessary for me. 

On that note, if the walking track is open again, I am off to walk my laps on deck 8.  With luck, I’ll catch a glimpse of some sea life.  

It’s another great day on the Viking Neptune!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I also dislike overly loud music in bars and lounges.  The purpose of a bar or lounge is for people to gather and socialize over a drink or two.  Background music is fine but when it interferes with conversation the plug needs pulling.  If the musician wants to play loud he/she should work their way up to stage show they you may have our complete attention.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mariners said:

CCWineLover, I understand why you made the comments about the music.  Last night, we sat on deck 2 of the Atrium, which I think is called the Living Room, and had a pre-dinner cocktail.  On that level, we could have a conversation with each other, but still enjoy the background music.  On deck 1 of the Atrium where we sat the night before, there were quite a few passengers who were intently listening to the music and I presumed, from what I saw, that deck 1 was for those who wanted to focus on the performance, deck 2 was for those who wanted to listen to background music and still have a conversation, and deck 3 was for those who were playing card games, and others who were more boisterous.  We, similar to you, also want a place where we can have a conversation.

We had the pleasure of dining in Manfredi’s last night. The service, once again, was impeccable.  The chef, and kitchen staff, provided a five star meal.  The tuna loin carpaccio enhanced, but not overwhelmed, by the other ingredients.  The Linguine ai Gamberi was perfectly prepared with the pasta al dente, the shrimp firm and tasting of the sea, and the cherry tomatoes could have been freshly picked from the garden that morning.  When the Viking Bistecca was served, I was a bit concerned as it was not “thick cut” and we are quite fussy when it comes to how beef is prepared.  My concern was unwarranted.  It was cooked to order, filled with the flavours from the rub, and was melt in your mouth tender.   Kudos to the chef and kitchen staff! 

It’s always interesting, to me, to try out new cruise lines/cruise ships, and figure out cabin locations, restaurants, bars, etc.  On this cruise, we booked a guarantee cabin, and were placed on deck 6 next to a suite. Passengers, on a variety of cruise lines, complain about the noise from being below, or above, a pool deck, restaurant, nightclub, etc.  On our third morning onboard this ship, from just before 4:30 a.m. until about 7:00 a.m., the noise from above made it impossible to sleep. I wasn’t sure how we would cope with the daily event.  If I had read the program thoroughly, I would have known that the deck and housekeeping staff would have been working in the area and that it was a one-off experience.  Now, I still wouldn’t book this cabin, but that’s because there is a bright light that shines all night on the veranda, and it’s not one that can be turned off.  As I love to watch the night sky, I now know that this would not be a location on the ship that I would choose. 

Last night, later in the evening, the sea swells became perfect, IMO, for sleeping.  In fact, I might need some agitation to the sea again as now I’m in a sea “fog”; no massages necessary for me. 

On that note, if the walking track is open again, I am off to walk my laps on deck 8.  With luck, I’ll catch a glimpse of some sea life.  

It’s another great day on the Viking Neptune!

Caroline and John - again, thank you for your observations as first time Viking cruisers.

Please note - this incredibly over-loud "noise" not music is hopefully a one-off.  We've never ever had it this loud.  I've spoken to several other Viking veterans and they also are quite upset about it.  It basically renders the wonderful Explorer's Lounge and the Attrium unusable from 5 PM to 9 PM.  We now look at the daily so we can have a quick visit/drink with friends for the 15 minutes the piano man, the guitarist, and the duo take a break.  Hard to believe!  Maybe these guys have a huge ego and want their voices and music as loud as possible.  Hopefully Viking will take the feedback to heart from the many of us who are commenting to them.

We also felt that Manfredi's was the best we'd had since the new menu (We've had the new menu now 4 times).  I think we must have an incredible chef - as every venue has been top notch, which hasn't been the case before.  The included wines are also much better that before.

The staff is so good, it's almost embarrassing.  Today they helped us move cabins (6015 to 6077).  They tried to fix the issue with the sliding balcony door but could not and are going to have to replace the whole door frame in FLL.  So nice of the stewards too to help us change rooms.  Above and beyond the call of duty!   Our ship is full they said, with just 3 spare rooms for emergencies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Caroline and John - again, thank you for your observations as first time Viking cruisers.

Please note - this incredibly over-loud "noise" not music is hopefully a one-off.  We've never ever had it this loud.  I've spoken to several other Viking veterans and they also are quite upset about it.  It basically renders the wonderful Explorer's Lounge and the Attrium unusable from 5 PM to 9 PM.  We now look at the daily so we can have a quick visit/drink with friends for the 15 minutes the piano man, the guitarist, and the duo take a break.  Hard to believe!  Maybe these guys have a huge ego and want their voices and music as loud as possible.  Hopefully Viking will take the feedback to heart from the many of us who are commenting to them.

Unfortunately it isn't a one off, we, and others complained about the racket in February, on Venus and in writing post cruise. The exact same producers of mediocrity are still on the ships. 

This is new since covid. Previously there was an hour of classical and an hour of mixed set either on piano or guitar. Easy to ignore and conversation possible at all times. We also suffered the Viking 'singers' who should be confined to the theatre or other soundproofed locations 

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Been on the Star, Sea and Sky and no food service at all in that area.  On the Jupiter there was an omlette station in the AM and a noodle station for dinner. 

That's it. We were on Jupiter and that's probably when we noticed the station in Aquavit area, and maybe saw it on the Orion too?  We've been on Star and Sky but I didn't realize that it wasn't on those ships.

• Like 1

Kent, I'm sorry to hear that you had to change cabins, but very glad that there was one available, and that staff helped you with the move.  Hopefully, your new cabin is working out well.

What a great night and early morning!  The Captain stated that we would be sailing into Gale force winds, but that they were hitting (or the waves would be hitting) the Starboard side.  The sea is definitely rougher this morning, but the motion is wonderful.  It's rocking, and swaying, but there are not the frequent large thumps that we previously experienced, and there is no "shake you awake" movement.  Although I haven't checked yet, I think that it's likely that the outdoor decks will be closed.

In last night's program, there was a notice requesting passengers to use the "Jogging Track" on deck 2.  This is the first indication that I have had since boarding that deck 2 was to be used for jogging.  When I had asked a crew member where to walk onboard, I was informed about the track on deck 8. So, I thought that I'd ask the question on this board.  Is one supposed to use deck 2 for walking as well?  As the outdoor on deck 2 has been closed every time that I have checked so far on this cruise,  is it okay to use deck 8 if deck 2 is closed and deck 8 is open?

7 minutes ago, mariners said:

Kent, I'm sorry to hear that you had to change cabins, but very glad that there was one available, and that staff helped you with the move.  Hopefully, your new cabin is working out well.

What a great night and early morning!  The Captain stated that we would be sailing into Gale force winds, but that they were hitting (or the waves would be hitting) the Starboard side.  The sea is definitely rougher this morning, but the motion is wonderful.  It's rocking, and swaying, but there are not the frequent large thumps that we previously experienced, and there is no "shake you awake" movement.  Although I haven't checked yet, I think that it's likely that the outdoor decks will be closed.

In last night's program, there was a notice requesting passengers to use the "Jogging Track" on deck 2.  This is the first indication that I have had since boarding that deck 2 was to be used for jogging.  When I had asked a crew member where to walk onboard, I was informed about the track on deck 8. So, I thought that I'd ask the question on this board.  Is one supposed to use deck 2 for walking as well?  As the outdoor on deck 2 has been closed every time that I have checked so far on this cruise,  is it okay to use deck 8 if deck 2 is closed and deck 8 is open?

Thanks! Yes our new room is quite wonderful!  It has the door/window combo versus the big slider (that had broken).  We slept like babies!  Following seas too, giving that nice corkscrew motion as the wind at 35 knots, is ENE or right behind us.

re decks 2 and 8:

both can be used for walking.  They only wish joggers to use 2 though.  They ask everyone to go clockwise (that puts everyone closer to the wall and further from the rails).  However somehow nobody pays attention and it seems over 50% go counter clockwise.  Maybe that’s because it US, our tracks are always counterclockwise - or because people are just oblivious.

so yes, use deck 2 to walk.  It’s our favorite.  See you out there!

Kent

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mariners said:

Viking confuses me over their use of deck 2, the “promenade” deck, as V and some passengers seem to assume now that it’s for jogging, whereas its name means it’s for walking!  I’ve read a few live blogs, where passengers (who jog) have grumbled about the people actually using it for, hang on… promenading!  

I’ll be enjoying reading along with this thread, as I hope to do a WC when we retire. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I think that on the first three ships that space is dishwashing space.

Yes.

Viking's ships are in 3 sets of 3 after the Star (15), which was the original.

-Sea (16), Sun (16), Sky (17) - the next 3.  None had the Aquavit station at all.  Just dishwashing, preparation space.  Sun sold to China.  Now joint offering to Viking customers for China cruises.

-Orion (18), Jupiter (19), Venus (21) - the 1st 2 had the Planetarium but it was not put on Venus in 2021 due to the customer negative feedback.  They all have the station at the back by Aquavit

-Mars (22), Neptune (22), Saturn (23) - have the Aquavit Station, plus some other improvements.  No planetarium 

Originally the Aquavit station had multiple purposes:  Breakfast - Omelette, eggs to order, etc;  Lunch - often pasta;  Dinner - Asian

They have been rolling out the station now as 100 % Asian dishes breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Quite popular.

7 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Viking confuses me over their use of deck 2, the “promenade” deck, as V and some passengers seem to assume now that it’s for jogging, whereas its name means it’s for walking!  I’ve read a few live blogs, where passengers (who jog) have grumbled about the people actually using it for, hang on… promenading!  

I’ll be enjoying reading along with this thread, as I hope to do a WC when we retire. 

Have never heard anyone complain about people walking versus jogging.  In our experience on quite a number of Viking Ocean cruises, at any given time, the number of joggers might be 1 or 2 and the number of walkers might be 20-25.   A couple cruises we actually had the Cruise Director doing a walk the deck "class" with water and refreshments at the fantail station.  And have even seen a couple Captains walking the promenade as well.

As I said, the grumbling comes from people who follow directions and go clockwise, having to bump into all those who insist on not following the guidelines and instead go counter-clockwise, often telling us we are going the wrong way, when we are going to Viking requested way.  Again - I asked Viking and was told they ask people to go clockwise for safety - to be farthest from the rail at all time.

• Like 1

Kent,  What are some of the differences for Mars, Neptune and Saturn.  Have not been on any of those.  Will be on Neptune in May.

Do you have anything booked yet on the very new Vela?

7 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

Kent, I noticed when we were on the “new” Saturn in July that there were no signs up on the promenade deck requesting that people walk clockwise—so of course there were lots of folks going against the grain. 🧌

Linda - on our Saturn, Mars, and now Neptune cruises this year - there were signs asking to go clockwise.  It was even put in the Viking Daily's several times.