Insignia December 5-17

schmidlapp

I'll start this out confessing we probably made the mistake of too high of expectations. We've cruised over 40 times on multiple lines including Celebrity, Azamara, Windstar, Regent, Sea Dream, NCL, and a few others.

Since we had sailed the R class ships numerous times on Azamara we decided to book a suite to get a bit more room and a few additional perks. First impression, our penthouse suite was beautiful and spacious. 

After adding up all the costs, between cruise fare, gratuities and premium beverage package upgrade we could have done a truly luxury all inclusive line for a very similar cost.  

The Insignia was beautifully decorated for the upcoming Christmas and new year's cruise. 

Our first full day aboard a construction crew closed off a portion of the pool deck and started removing a large section of the teak deck. They used air chisels and other extremely loud power tools. It was truly deafening. This construction lasted the whole cruise.

We were told they were hoping to get more deck repairs done than what was actually accomplished and were sending the crew home after this cruise because they didn't want to continue work during the upcoming Christmas cruise.

This truly was drydock maintenance done  with with a ship full of passengers. At the end of the cruise we were all offered a $400pp future cruise credit for the inconvenience. 

We also had an issue with our suites air conditioning. The thermostat did nothing to raise or lower the temperature. It was generally cool during the day and very warm at night. Didn't matter whether we turned it up or down it was whatever randomly came out of the vents. We reported this multiple times and were told there was nothing wrong. 

We were finally offered a key to a vacant inside cabin for sleeping. 

Insignia  built in 1998 has obvious issues that need to be addressed. 

The crew was generally excellent, especially the bar and cabin staff. Our butler did a very good job. We're not high maintenance butler types so we didn't have him do much for us.  Officers and management did not inpress.  I've never been on a cruise where the officers were so disengaged with the guests. It was difficult for many of them to grunt out a good morning to you when passing in the hall. I frequently saw more officers in the "gas chamber" (smoking lounge) off Horizons when I walked by, than anywhere else on the ship.

The first night onboard we had a horrible experience in Toscana.  I previously posted on CC regarding dress code and my wife's footwear requirement due to 2 reconstructive foot surgery after a car accident, was told don't worry it will be fine.  She only wears very nice tennis shoes with a custom orthotic insert to help her walk.  Well we were seated in Toscana and the dining room manager immediately came to our table and told her she couldn't wear "rubber shoes". She was in tears as she has dozens of beautiful shoes that she can't wear anymore. 

I about lost it as I saw footwear far worse than what she was wearing frequently in dining rooms.  My wife had on a beautiful dress, jewelry etc.

We should have just walked out. After this, we just didn't feel comfortable there. I met later with the ship's food and beverage manager and expressed my total displeasure with how this was handled.  

I truly believe there is a management issue on this ship.

We did cancel our second Toscona reservation as we just didn't feel comfortable going back in there.

The only dining venue where we consistently had good food was Polo grill. Fortunately we were able to dine there 3 times.

In most venues  it seemed the dining staff were trying hard but many times there was little direction and limited training.

Breakfast in the terrace cafe was exactly the same every day, not bad but nothing great. 

Lunch in terrace cafe changed somewhat daily but of very low quality.  Overall very bland flavors, Dry and tasteless carved meats, boring salads etc. One day they offered carved ham, well it was a pressed low quality ham like thing. I never saw so many preparations of dry veal in my life.

Oceania must have purchased truckloads of cheap veal and pork. One day the menu on TV said prime rib in terrace cafe in the evening.  Great, until we arrived and they substituted a tough round of beef instead. We found ourselves eating too many French fries and burgers at waves grill. "Finest cusine at sea" I think not.

Normally when we cruise we have at least 1 or 2 memorable meals.  Sadly not a whole lot memorable in 12 days. I'd say there was a lot of cost cutting but since this was our first Oceania cruise I've got nothing to compare it to. I suspect in the past things may have been better?

We had a couple ok dinners in the Grand dining room, unfortunately this was more the exception rather than the rule. 

Menus in Grand dining room were very uninspiring.

Entertainment was about what we expected on a small ship. Shows were ok, however nothing outdoors during the afternoon, probably because the pool deck was under repair. When you could hear the recorded music on the pool deck they looped around 30 of the same songs over and over. The ships band played late in horizons for exactly 1 hour nightly and done.  They were not at all engaging,  not terrible but totally disconnected with the audience. 

It was like they had to be there, play their hour, pack up and leave.  

We frequently participated it their outdoor activities, enjoyed the golf putting, shuffleboard, ping pong etc. Due to deck construction ping pong was moved to a small corner next to the outdoor smoking area Ugh!!

Overall there were a lot of disappointments mixed with some positives. I can see where Oceania insignia in its day was likely an excellent cruise ship. 

That was then and this is now. 

Sadly now needs a lot of improvement. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

According to  another thread on the construction it  was necessary due to a leak   but  yes  they should have cancelled the cruise  & had the work done.

I am sure it was not  the best idea  to have the pool deck ripped up  & the noise for the whole cruise 

that would have annoyed me  as well

As for the costs you could have done the math before booking so that is on you

JMO

• Like 1

Did you mention to the dining room manager in Toscana that your wife had a health condition that required the orthotic shoes?  I wouldn’t have relied solely on comments on CC as this is something that really depends on the staff onboard. 

The construction wouldn’t have been tolerable to me either. Sorry that you and the other passengers had to endure that. 

18 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

I'll start this out confessing we probably made the mistake of too high of expectations. We've cruised over 40 times on multiple lines including Celebrity, Azamara, Windstar, Regent, Sea Dream, NCL, and a few others.

Since we had sailed the R class ships numerous times on Azamara we decided to book a suite to get a bit more room and a few additional perks. First impression, our penthouse suite was beautiful and spacious. 

After adding up all the costs, between cruise fare, gratuities and premium beverage package upgrade we could have done a truly luxury all inclusive line for a very similar cost.  

The Insignia was beautifully decorated for the upcoming Christmas and new year's cruise. 

Our first full day aboard a construction crew closed off a portion of the pool deck and started removing a large section of the teak deck. They used air chisels and other extremely loud power tools. It was truly deafening. This construction lasted the whole cruise.

We were told they were hoping to get more deck repairs done than what was actually accomplished and were sending the crew home after this cruise because they didn't want to continue work during the upcoming Christmas cruise.

This truly was drydock maintenance done  with with a ship full of passengers. At the end of the cruise we were all offered a $400pp future cruise credit for the inconvenience. 

We also had an issue with our suites air conditioning. The thermostat did nothing to raise or lower the temperature. It was generally cool during the day and very warm at night. Didn't matter whether we turned it up or down it was whatever randomly came out of the vents. We reported this multiple times and were told there was nothing wrong. 

We were finally offered a key to a vacant inside cabin for sleeping. 

Insignia  built in 1998 has obvious issues that need to be addressed. 

The crew was generally excellent, especially the bar and cabin staff. Our butler did a very good job. We're not high maintenance butler types so we didn't have him do much for us.  Officers and management did not inpress.  I've never been on a cruise where the officers were so disengaged with the guests. It was difficult for many of them to grunt out a good morning to you when passing in the hall. I frequently saw more officers in the "gas chamber" (smoking lounge) off Horizons when I walked by, than anywhere else on the ship.

The first night onboard we had a horrible experience in Toscana.  I previously posted on CC regarding dress code and my wife's footwear requirement due to 2 reconstructive foot surgery after a car accident, was told don't worry it will be fine.  She only wears very nice tennis shoes with a custom orthotic insert to help her walk.  Well we were seated in Toscana and the dining room manager immediately came to our table and told her she couldn't wear "rubber shoes". She was in tears as she has dozens of beautiful shoes that she can't wear anymore. 

I about lost it as I saw footwear far worse than what she was wearing frequently in dining rooms.  My wife had on a beautiful dress, jewelry etc.

We should have just walked out. After this, we just didn't feel comfortable there. I met later with the ship's food and beverage manager and expressed my total displeasure with how this was handled.  

I truly believe there is a management issue on this ship.

We did cancel our second Toscona reservation as we just didn't feel comfortable going back in there.

The only dining venue where we consistently had good food was Polo grill. Fortunately we were able to dine there 3 times.

In most venues  it seemed the dining staff were trying hard but many times there was little direction and limited training.

Breakfast in the terrace cafe was exactly the same every day, not bad but nothing great. 

Lunch in terrace cafe changed somewhat daily but of very low quality.  Overall very bland flavors, Dry and tasteless carved meats, boring salads etc. One day they offered carved ham, well it was a pressed low quality ham like thing. I never saw so many preparations of dry veal in my life.

Oceania must have purchased truckloads of cheap veal and pork. One day the menu on TV said prime rib in terrace cafe in the evening.  Great, until we arrived and they substituted a tough round of beef instead. We found ourselves eating too many French fries and burgers at waves grill. "Finest cusine at sea" I think not.

Normally when we cruise we have at least 1 or 2 memorable meals.  Sadly not a whole lot memorable in 12 days. I'd say there was a lot of cost cutting but since this was our first Oceania cruise I've got nothing to compare it to. I suspect in the past things may have been better?

We had a couple ok dinners in the Grand dining room, unfortunately this was more the exception rather than the rule. 

Menus in Grand dining room were very uninspiring.

Entertainment was about what we expected on a small ship. Shows were ok, however nothing outdoors during the afternoon, probably because the pool deck was under repair. When you could hear the recorded music on the pool deck they looped around 30 of the same songs over and over. The ships band played late in horizons for exactly 1 hour nightly and done.  They were not at all engaging,  not terrible but totally disconnected with the audience. 

It was like they had to be there, play their hour, pack up and leave.  

We frequently participated it their outdoor activities, enjoyed the golf putting, shuffleboard, ping pong etc. Due to deck construction ping pong was moved to a small corner next to the outdoor smoking area Ugh!!

Overall there were a lot of disappointments mixed with some positives. I can see where Oceania insignia in its day was likely an excellent cruise ship. 

That was then and this is now. 

Sadly now needs a lot of improvement. 

So sorry to hear about your experiences.

I must admit that I often feel that too high expectations do lead to letdowns but in your case I would feel aggrieved too.

Unless it was an emergency repair that was needed after the ship had sailed, I can’t see any reason to carry out such extensive and noisy repairs whilst passengers were cruising. No matter which grade of cabin I had I’d actually have been insulted by the compensation they offered you. It’s doubly insulting because you had paid for a higher suite.

I’m assuming from your post that this is your first Oceania cruise although you are familiar with R class ships. It’s a shame that you had such a poor experience.

As for the way your wife was treated in Toscana well there is just really no excuse!

Sometimes when a trip starts on a bad note there is just no way to redeem it just goes downhill. You tend to notice every mistake or downside and it’s very difficult to see any positives although you seem to have found some.

Maybe one of the larger ships would suit you better? Anyway, just wishing you an abundance of  positives on any future cruise.

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

I about lost it as I saw footwear far worse than what she was wearing frequently in dining rooms. 

This is a bit concerning. I will be on Insignia starting Dec 29th and I have very painful knees (awaiting surgery). I cannot wear any "fancy footwear" or even nice flats right now. I am limited to big, clunky (but supportive) athletic shoes/footwear with orthotics.

Should I cancel my reservations at the two specialty restaurants? Are they going to give me a hard time in the GDR? I am really not keen on eating in the Terrace Cafe (too much standing/walking).

• Like 1

I was on this same cruise, we had a great time but it was our least favorite so far of 12 on O (not their fault, mostly weather).  @schmidlapp I can understand your not wanting to cruise on O again!

Toscana and shoe issue, that sounds terrible. One thought is to check with dining services when you board and explain the situation. Or find/create a pair of sequined tennis shoes - no you shouldn't have to do this.

The pool deck work was definitely disruptive, but I wonder if the weather had been nice if the work would have bugged me even *more*. It rained some every day and all day on some days. Some days the noisy part of the work was more limited, not sure if that made it less bad. Which is worse, buzz-buzz-buzz or quiet-BUZZ-quiet? We were pleasantly surprised by the $400 pp future cruise credit, but if you aren't cruising O again that doesn't help.

Our thermostat worked in our room, we did adjust it many times and it responded each time. But we were in 4054, so a smaller cabin on a lower deck. Not sure if the HVAC issue was specific to your room or general to your deck area, we wouldn't have been happy either. I saw that the door from the elevator lobby out to Waves did not auto-close well or quickly, lots of AC was pouring outside - I closed it whenever I passed through but I'm sure that didn't make much of a difference.

Insignia staff are indeed wonderful! If you want interaction with officers, sadly O is not a good fit. Any non-hospitality crew/officers tend to ignore or interact extremely briefly with passengers.

The ship is generally maintained quite well but does show small signs of age if you are looking. In our cabin there was a small bubble in the wallpaper, I saw some discoloration/rust at varous windows throughout the ship, and our cabin bath doorknob's escutcheon was slightly bent. Nothing that was obvious, nothing that affected our enjoyment, but if you want "new" this is not the ship for you.

We like O's pricing compared to other lines because you don't have to get a larger cabin or all-inclusive fare just to get on the ship. If you do like larger cabins and more inclusive fares, O may be just as/more expensive vs SS or SB - especially if you are paying for business class air through the cruiseline. I am not a fan of the new SM pricing, but O is still best price/value for us - ymmv!! We were on this cruise because it was hard to resist on the extreme sale that ended June 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Did you mention to the dining room manager in Toscana that your wife had a health condition that required the orthotic shoes?  I wouldn’t have relied solely on comments on CC as this is something that really depends on the staff onboard. 

The construction wouldn’t have been tolerable to me either. Sorry that you and the other passengers had to endure that. 

I have a similar problem that requires orthotics and ugly shoes.  Sigh.  (Yup, I've got shelves full of lovely designer heels, etc., and.... I kept them far too long, hoping... hoping... things would improve.  But alas, that is not to be.)

Anyway, we *always* notify any establishment/etc., in advance of any special needs.  Usually this is dietary.  But for some years, I've had a serious "foot problem", requiring custom medical orthotics... and shoes that can accommodate them.  Yes, ugly shoes, including one "go to" pair of ultra clunky "trainer/sports" type shoe.  Usually, that's a non-issue wherever we go.  However, if there is some stated attire requirement/restriction, we always notify ahead of time.  And if ADA covers it (it does within the USA), we'll mention that if necessary.

We've NEVER had any push-back, including on Oceania.

We sometimes get followup inquiries from the relevant "Special Needs" group about whether there is anything else needed or such, to make our visit or trip better.

We try very hard to avoid surprising someone who may be tasked with "monitoring" <whatever>, who may not understand or know how to handle a situation on the run, possibly at a busy moment.  This way, we assume that the, say, assorted dining area staff have already been alerted.  I mean, these days, eespecially on a ship, they always know "who you are", and they'll usually even see a note pop up when your card is scanned.

schmidlapp:  What did "the ship's food and beverage manager" say when you calmly explained this was a medical/handicap necessity, similar to someone in a wheelchair, but "less so"?

It apparently was handled in a terribly inappropriate manner, but it's also possible that they just didn't have the necessary information, or have it fast enough, to realize how it should have been handled, especially "on the spot".

And on the off chance that there was a problem, we'd insist on speaking with "the manager" and work our way "up".  Even though ADA doesn't apply outside of USA-control/etc., we've never had any problems... not even in Japan, when we needed - and found - a "work-around" because I cannot walk far without some special support.  [We cleared all of this in advance, too, and that was especially important, given the cultural emphasis about "no shoes inside" there.  It worked in upscale onsen ryokans (very traditional hot springs inns), to private home formal tea ceremonies, to a 2-night stay in a Buddhist Monastery.]

[Similarly, we plan VERY carefully in advance any type of "outing" for suitability, so we don't hold others back or get ourselves left behind.  And because of this, we almost always take private excursions, which we prefer anyway: More time here, please, and less time there... etc.  Sometimes we invite others to join us, especially if it's something like hiring a large catamaran for the day.  In that case, it might mean I probably will stay on the boat if others head off for a bit.  And everyone involved, from the catamaran crew to the others joining, know from the start if there are any special arrangements.]

GC

55 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is a bit concerning. I will be on Insignia starting Dec 29th and I have very painful knees (awaiting surgery). I cannot wear any "fancy footwear" or even nice flats right now. I am limited to big, clunky (but supportive) athletic shoes/footwear with orthotics.

Should I cancel my reservations at the two specialty restaurants? Are they going to give me a hard time in the GDR? I am really not keen on eating in the Terrace Cafe (too much standing/walking).

Hi,

If you haven't contacted Special Needs yet, then give them a call.  Explain what you need, what your concerns are, and ask them if you need to do anything once on board, or will they have notified those who need to be notified, etc.

And no, although the Terrace Cafe had remarkably good food (and especially for "a buffet!"), standing and waiting like that is definitely not the best situation for me.  Often, I'll sit down and DH will help bring me things, or... I just ask for help from the staff wherever I am.  Once they understand and recognize me in the future, it all happens pretty much automatically - whatever level of assistance I might need.

Then enjoy your cruise!

Note:  We were on the Riviera, but I can't imagine that would matter; it's the same cruise line.

GC

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Just mention to the restaurant manager  that you have an issue  if they question your footwear

Usually they  do not  bother people with clunky shoes  they know older people may have foot issures

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORV said:

I’ve been Known too. I usually go on Oceania due to Our loyalty level and the perks that come with it. 

Oh, of course. We'll never cruise enough, on any line, for that to happen 🙂

It's unfortunate, but very true, that one bad experience with an overly officious maitre'd can put a taint on a whole cruise.  We had something similar happen on a Regent cruise.  It subconsciously made us look at everything else on the cruise with a more critical eye and detracted from the overall experience.  We haven't written off Regent entirely, but it tends to start out toward the bottom of the list when we are considering a new booking.

Our own experiences with Oceania (on the larger ships) have been fairly good.  We do regard the R-class ships as a bit of a mixed bag; we like the size, but recognize the limitations.  We've been happy with our R-class cruises on Azamara, but haven't done any with Oceania.      

3 hours ago, schmidlapp said:

Snarky replies are not appreciated. After over 40 cruises,  many of which were excellent, this was our experience. Not as advertised or expected.  Just sayin.....

Thank you for your honest review. We have sailed O three times…with a large (many years) gap between our last O cruise and the one we just booked for next October, on Insignia. Circumstances of life made it difficult to cruise for awhile, and in fact, when we were finally ready to start again (on a 1st-time-on-Regent cruise), it was cancelled when the world closed during Covid restrictions. 
I have some concerns about sailing on O again. Your review is making my concerns more urgent as I have until tomorrow to cancel without penalty.

We sailed with O for the first time one year after they began. We were hooked. Two more “longer” cruises on O were great as well, but some kinks started emerging…specifically an “adventure” all-day excursion on Sardinia was cancelled the night before it was supposed to happen, which was my husbands birthday. (No time to do anything else because all other excursions were sold out). Strike one. 

Last week we decided to plan another cruise for 2024. I went straight to O based upon our past, mostly-good, experiences. The first thing I noticed was…things have changed. The website, to me, was not as “user-friendly” as it was before. The end result was lots of back and forth phone calls because their website wouldn’t let me update our current CORRECT information. Eventually the problem was solved after a couple of days and I was able to book the cruise. Then I went straight to Cruise Critic and started reading reviews (for the same itinerary) for the last two years. A few people commented that their “$800 excursion credit”…the same hook we were offered…was partially wasted because excursions were cancelled once on board, and could not be used for anything else. Hmmm. I started re-living the disappointment from the past. We are not big drinkers so we don’t care about “drink” packages. We care about seeing the places we’re visiting. So cancelling a much-anticipated shore excursion is a deal-breaker.  And now reading this review has me wondering if we are making a mistake. We have been on two of the small “original” ships and a bigger ship. They each have their own charm. But aging infrastructure is not one of them! I have about 36 hours to decide if we’re going to pull the plug. I’m waiting for a return phone call from a travel agent to see if there’s a better fit for us out there…

• Thanks 1

I don't get the shoe thing.   

Your wife violated the dress code.  You say the manager "immediately " came to your table.  Isn't that exactly what would be expected?   Sure, maybe they could have told you before you were seated but I don't understand how anyone could possibly think the staff would know your wife has special needs if you don't tell them.

You know your wife's needs.  From your words, you also know it's a sensitive subject for her.  Why not be a gentleman and tell the staff discreetly BEFORE you're seated? 

It seems to me you were upset about the deck (rightfully so) and you're looking to pile on the most minor things to reinforce how terrible you think the trip was.  

• Like 3

@gr'aunt Regarding the R-ships, it seems to me that the complaints-to-praise ratio has been highest for Insignia and Nautica recently. I've been on Regatta three times from September 2022 to September 2023, and while no cruise is ever without fault, I would have to think hard and check with my spouse to come up with anything that had a negative effect on our memories of those cruises. At times I wondered if staffing was sufficient (e.g., too few staff or not enough training) but it wasn't really a problem for us. My point is that I don't think there is an O-wide problem, but that the post-pandemic staffing issues with respect to experienced workers/management is still in progress. Maybe I'm being a pollyanna and seeing unicorns...only time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I don't get the shoe thing.   

Your wife violated the dress code.  You say the manager "immediately " came to your table.  Isn't that exactly what would be expected?   Sure, maybe they could have told you before you were seated but I don't understand how anyone could possibly think the staff would know your wife has special needs if you don't tell them.

You know your wife's needs.  From your words, you also know it's a sensitive subject for her.  Why not be a gentleman and tell the staff discreetly BEFORE you're seated? 

It seems to me you were upset about the deck (rightfully so) and you're looking to pile on the most minor things to reinforce how terrible you think the trip was.  

Whoa...

As I wrote above, I do agree about how important - and helpful - it can be to deal with any special situations in advance.  And "violating the dress code" was a known concern, even if the reaction of the manager was not.

And THAT is worth some comment.  Even though the footwear "violated the dress code", the way the manager handled that seems to me to be totally out of line.

"Inappropriate footwear", in a dining room, is not likely to be "in your face" for other diners while everyone is seated and dining.  Making a public fuss about it, by calling out someone, is likely to be far more disruptive.  It seems unlikely that any immediate damage being done, something that needed public attention or rectifying *immediately*.

Surely there would have been a way to handle this that would have been less disruptive to *everyone*, no??  I can quickly think of several different ways to deal with it, if the goal were to avoid similar "infractions", rather than making a bit (or more?) of a public spectacle of the immediate situation.  That was likely to cause far more disruption and discomfort to others in the dining room than *not* making some sort of scene, or causing considerable public embarrassment of a passenger (and spouse, and likely, others nearby).

It's not as though someone had arrived in a bikini to be seated in the dining room.  That would certainly be likely to draw the attention of many, and in a very disruptive way.

The more I think about a restaurant manager handling "inappropriate footwear" by publicly confronting a diner, to the point of bringing someone to tears...?  Really!? 

I think OP's statement that "I truly believe there is a management issue on this ship" is... quite an understatement, at least with regard to that manager!  (And something as dramatic as this would indeed leave us wondering about more general training...)

GC

• Like 3

I was also on this cruise and spoke to this gentleman's wife about her experience in Toscana's. It should NEVER have happened as it did. She was publicly humiliated for something she could do nothing about. Her attire was always fabulous and in the evening in question, she was very well dressed. Between that and the pool deck repair nonsense on a Caribbean cruise, I don't blame them for never wanting to sail on Oceania again. 

@schmidlapp Please give my best to your wife (from Ellen).

• Like 4

I guess I’m a bit confused on what really happened with the shoe issue.  OP simply states the manager came over and said those shoes were not meeting the dress code and for future visits perhaps not wear???? Wife began to cry. I figured she began to cry as simply a very sensitive subject with her which makes sense. But…..now I see people posting the manger was making a public spectacle which would indicate being loud about it.  Saw in another thread someone state made to change shoes….just not sure what really happened. OP didn’t state any of this, simply manger advised and wife started crying. Just seems if the manager had made a big scene and was loud that he would have mentioned all of this in the initial post as did not hold back on all the other negative comments. 

Edited by EJL2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

I guess I’m a bit confused on what really happened with the shoe issue.  OP simply states the manager came over and said those shoes were not meeting the dress code and for future visits perhaps not wear???? Wife began to cry. I figured she began to cry as simply a very sensitive subject with her which makes sense. But…..now I see people posting the manger was making a public spectacle which would indicate being loud about it.  Saw in another thread someone state made to change shoes….just not sure what really happened. OP didn’t state any of this, simply manger advised and wife started crying. Just seems if the manager had made a big scene and was loud that he would have mentioned all of this in the initial post as did not hold back on all the other negative comments. 

I have mobility issues so understand exactly how easily ‘comments’ etc can be construed in a different way to the way an able bodied person might see them. 
Let’s just leave it.

The lady in question was upset.

Her perogative

No need for anybody else to comment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 12/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Whoa...

As I wrote above, I do agree about how important - and helpful - it can be to deal with any special situations in advance.  And "violating the dress code" was a known concern, even if the reaction of the manager was not.

And THAT is worth some comment.  Even though the footwear "violated the dress code", the way the manager handled that seems to me to be totally out of line.

"Inappropriate footwear", in a dining room, is not likely to be "in your face" for other diners while everyone is seated and dining.  Making a public fuss about it, by calling out someone, is likely to be far more disruptive.  It seems unlikely that any immediate damage being done, something that needed public attention or rectifying *immediately*.

Surely there would have been a way to handle this that would have been less disruptive to *everyone*, no??  I can quickly think of several different ways to deal with it, if the goal were to avoid similar "infractions", rather than making a bit (or more?) of a public spectacle of the immediate situation.  That was likely to cause far more disruption and discomfort to others in the dining room than *not* making some sort of scene, or causing considerable public embarrassment of a passenger (and spouse, and likely, others nearby).

It's not as though someone had arrived in a bikini to be seated in the dining room.  That would certainly be likely to draw the attention of many, and in a very disruptive way.

The more I think about a restaurant manager handling "inappropriate footwear" by publicly confronting a diner, to the point of bringing someone to tears...?  Really!? 

I think OP's statement that "I truly believe there is a management issue on this ship" is... quite an understatement, at least with regard to that manager!  (And something as dramatic as this would indeed leave us wondering about more general training...)

GC

On 12/26/2023 at 12:51 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

@gr'aunt Regarding the R-ships, it seems to me that the complaints-to-praise ratio has been highest for Insignia and Nautica recently. I've been on Regatta three times from September 2022 to September 2023, and while no cruise is ever without fault, I would have to think hard and check with my spouse to come up with anything that had a negative effect on our memories of those cruises. At times I wondered if staffing was sufficient (e.g., too few staff or not enough training) but it wasn't really a problem for us. My point is that I don't think there is an O-wide problem, but that the post-pandemic staffing issues with respect to experienced workers/management is still in progress. Maybe I'm being a pollyanna and seeing unicorns...only time will tell if I'm right 

I cancelled the cruise I booked on Insignia for the Fall of 2024. I have never experienced the uncomfortable situation of seeing or hearing a paying customer, with or without mobility issues, being PUBLICLY criticized for their choice of footwear or attire on any of my previous “O” cruises. And I’m talking jeans in the dining room in the Eastern Mediterranean and a lady wearing what was perhaps a prom dress in the hot/humid Caribbean…which was garish and ridiculously funny…but no one said a word.( Lots of dropped jaws and stifled laughs though). 
I’m one of those “lucky” ones who was very athletic in my younger days and who is now paying the price with foot problems. I feel that lady’s pain (literally). I wear the kind of shoes my podiatrist recommends in order to avoid surgery. Skechers and Hoka have what I need. They’re not cheap either. I probably have 30 pair in every color, WITH rubber soles (gasp!) and they’re ALL I wear. If the jerk…I mean O employee…or anyone else for that matter, had approached me with their haughty attitude, I would have dared them to remove my shoes right there on the spot. I guarantee that I would have made a BIGGER scene than the employee did. I can’t believe anyone reading this thread thinks what happened to this woman is okay under ANY circumstance. 

23 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

Ever play the old "Gossip" or "Telephone" game when you were a kid? There you go. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have fat chubby feet that aren’t comfy in anything but slip on Skechers, Hotters, or Rocket Dog. I have a couple of pairs of these which are black with black soles that just end up looking like run of the mill loafers, and the rest are white or cream or multi coloured with rubber soles that match. The trick is to wear wide long trousers in the evening, which cover a multitude of sins. Luckily I am not built for dresses. 

I’m really sorry the OP had this issue, If the restaurant manager had approached me I would have explained the plight of my chubby extremities and promised not to put them on the table for the duration of the meal. 

We are on Regent in 2 weeks which has no casual dining in the evening (already a minus for regent and I am not even onboard yet) so my footwear indisrections will be put to a good test.

If you have a issue like the OP  why not just  have a note put in your file  either by your TA or O rep  that you do have  foot issues & shoes are  a problem

save all the angst

I am still not clear on if the manager stood at the table  & yelled at the lady  not to wear those shoes again  or told her to leave the  venue  or what?

I have seen Maitre'd s take people aside  & have a quiet word  about their attire   never  seen anyone  chastised in front of everyone

JMO

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ToxM said:

We are on Regent in 2 weeks which has no casual dining in the evening (already a minus for regent and I am not even onboard yet) so my footwear indisrections will be put to a good test

There is a casual dining option on Regent, weather permitting. It is at the pool. Menu is a bit limited but it's lovely to sit there and watch the sun set, the service is excellent as it is everywhere on Regent, and food is good. Also the Italian resto is pretty casual in my opinion though no shorts or flip flops.

49 minutes ago, vaitape said:

There is a casual dining option on Regent, weather permitting. It is at the pool. Menu is a bit limited but it's lovely to sit there and watch the sun set, the service is excellent as it is everywhere on Regent, and food is good. Also the Italian resto is pretty casual in my opinion though no shorts or flip flops.

I heard that was stopped after the WC this year 😞 I hope they do have that option. 

Hi to All,

I am not following part of the preceding thread.  The description of what took place in Toscana went from the Maître d' of Toscana reminding a passenger about the dress code... to a wife in tears.  It is possible that the "rubber shoes" reference is the best the Filipino Maître d' could do in his second language.  I can't imagine the Maître d' making the shoes reference in a nasty way.  He was a low-key, gentle and sweet man, not the life of the party but warm and very client-oriented with us on the cruise in question, as well as the one after it.

The odd preceding reader has imputed that the Maître d's behaviour was inappropriate...from what is written I am not sure... and knowing the man... I am doubtful.

One evening one of us spilled a glass of red wine onto the just-delivered main course, and the Maître d' in question discreetly made sure that a new main was delivered, the wet tablecloth dealt with, and the wine-soaked diner ushered off to dry off and change.  And all of this very sensitively, so that no one had to be aware.

I do understand that when the way you are dressed is questioned could be disconcerting, but in the case of clearly not abiding by the dress code, a word in the ear of the Maître d' would be smart.

I saw that many people had special dietary requirements that were documented and everyone on the ship seemed to know who these people were and had something tailored for them at every meal.  Perhaps there is a way of alerting the "hotel" aspect of the ship about any accommodation required for special footwear?  I would rather be safe than sorry.

I did see many people with big clunky, in some cases misshapen shoes that looked like running shoes, in all four restaurants.  So I wouldn't be worried about being able to dine with non-standard footwear - but I might ask Reception to put it on my file as an accommodation I require.

Ironically, one of my feedback card comments was that I felt it was strange that I could not wear my very expensive and classy sandals in the GDR, Toscana or the Polo Grill;  whereas, many "acceptable" women's sandals and shoes are mere straps.  I joked that this was in spite of the great pedicure I had in the spa.

Our room was right under the construction on the pool, and we were not in our room ever long enough to be bothered by it.  And when we were in the room, it was not so bad.

I did not expect the future cruise credits, and was quite pleased to receive them.  They are already applied to the unpaid balances of previously booked future cruises.  They do not have to be applied to new bookings.

We had a great cruise.  Two in fact.  Can't wait to go back.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4