Love Royal but DIRE UPSETTING crew conditions - worse than others

cusematt4

Hi All,

I absolutely love Royal Caribbean.  It is my favorite cruise line and company.  We are Diamond Plus members.  We’ve made incredible memories and have had the best of vacations with Royal Caribbean.

I know that across the cruise industry, working conditions are very tough with no days off for 6-8 months, in addition to long hours at all hours of the day.  In addition, I know that most crew earn just about nothing for a salary and solely rely on gratuities, although they make the sacrifice as they earn more than they otherwise would in their home countries.

What’s upsetting is to learn how RCL treats its employees worse than other cruise lines, with fewer “privileges.”

One of our favorite employees on the wonder hasn’t had a straight more than 7 hours ”off” from working in 4 months.  This person is one of many.  This means that this person along with others hasn’t been able to get a straight uninterrupted more than 6.5 hours of sleep in 4 months.

What is also incredibly upsetting is how despite Starlink wifi and the many millions RCL must make from it each month across its fleet with most passengers purchasing it, staff still are unable to easily keep in touch with the with family without access to this basic necessity.

Aside from standard messaging on WhatsApp, staff on RCL need to pay for all other access to wifi, including the ability to call or video call on any app or FaceTime.  Normally RCL staff are CHARGED 3.99 per hour of internet.  Over the holidays, they couldn’t even be given free internet to talk with family but were charged 1.99 an hour during the hours of 11pm-7am when most should be getting their limited sleep.

So of the $100 of salary Royal Caribbean pays most of its crew each week (before tips), $2 per hour of wifi is charged for access to basic internet to keep in touch with family they are away from for 8 months at a time.

Whats even crazier is that I learned crew ip addresses are blocked from guest wifi.  Someone tried to give a crew member access to my wifi account to call home but this person stated that crew ip addresses are blocked from accessing guest wifi.

I love this company.  But other cruise lines such as NCL give crew free internet for calls, FaceTime, texts and social media at a bare minimum.  Virgin is an extreme with free wifi for all.  Other cruise lines give at least basic internet for calls for free to staff.  Why can’t rcl do the same for what makes their company the amazing one it is - their staff and crew, the hardest working and most friendly people I’ve ever met.

Is there any way at all we could sign a petition or do something across the cruisecritic RCL forum for RCL to provide free internet to its employees at a bare minimum, in line with other major lines?

I am not trying to start a debate or anything controversial, I am just sad and appalled that RCL charges its crew for basic wifi, especially during the holiday season, without an ability to talk by phone or video call to family, given the day and age we live in.

Edited by cusematt4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

• cusematt4 changed the title to Love Royal but DIRE UPSETTING crew conditions - worse than others

I remember when crew would buy phone cards and stand in line at pay phones in port to call home.  Though you might consider today’s communication conditions “dire” I see them as a huge improvement compared to crew communication options 20 years ago.  As satellites continue to be deployed, I expect continued improvement.

The last time I was on NCL their internet was really slow.  Has it improved?

Edited by Starry Eyes

If your friend likes ncl better im sure he could change and work for them. I've talked to many crew who have worked more than one cruiseline. If rcl was that much worse I doubt that crew would stay on.

So hand that crew member $5  so they can pay for internet.

10 years ago I remember wifi cafes and many crew members from all lines were in there using them. So now they can do it from the ship? Cheaper than those old wifi cafes I used to go to. 

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Someone tried to give a crew member access to my wifi account to call home but this person stated that crew ip addresses are blocked from accessing guest wifi.

That is very unlikely to be true. 

• Like 6

I confirmed the ip address blocking for crew to access guest wifi with a few different crew members.  Registered devices upon their sign on are blocked from accessing guest wifi. 

Just cause it’s better now than 10 years ago by crew not having to buy calling cards in port to call home via a pay phone does not in my opinion justify rcl charging crew to access wifi with the slave-like wages they pay.

My friend doesn’t work for NCL.  I do not have any friends who work for any cruise line and am merely a diamond plus member voicing my concerns and disappointment.  I learned from an ncl crew member that they get access to social media and calling via wifi for free, unlimited.

I am not trying to say anything controversial.  Just that given this day and age we live in with technology and starlink wifi, plus the perks other crew at other cruise lines get to keep in touch with family, I wish RCL could be a follower let alone a leader in providing crew free access to keep in touch with family via calls or video calls.

I love DCL and just wish they could improve on this area for the best and hardest working crew. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Another thread from someone who thinks they know everything about someone else's wages and working conditions.

I am by no means saying I know everything about everyone’s wages and working conditions.  This is far from what I am saying or trying to post about.

All I am saying is that a regular customer, I wish my favorite company would give their crew access to call their family via the technology they have.  And to be in line with other cruise lines who give their staff unlimited access to make calls and video calls to family via social media, the least they could do for the 6-8 month at a time sacrifices they make away from their family at home.

I truly didn’t think staying that I wish RCL could give their crew access to basic social media and wifi would be or is in any way controversial.

• Like 2

Just now, cusematt4 said:

I am by no means saying I know everything about everyone’s wages and working conditions.  This is far from what I am saying or trying to post about.

All I am saying is that a regular customer, I wish my favorite company would give their crew access to call their family via the technology they have.  And to be in line with other cruise lines who give their staff unlimited access to make calls and video calls to family via social media, the least they could do for the 6-8 month at a time sacrifices they make away from their family at home.

I truly didn’t think staying that I wish RCL could give their crew access to basic social media and wifi would be or is in any way controversial.

Mbayley@rccl.com 

Write... you will probably get the same reaction, but this isn't getting you anywhere. It's the crews choice to take the job or not. 

• Like 5

My point was that you are suggesting a petition drive (or such) for a situation that is already continuously improving.  If you want to improve the lives of crew members, tip them well and encourage others to tip them well.  Let the crew members decide how to spend that money.

• Like 8

38 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

One of our favorite employees on the wonder hasn’t had a straight more than 7 hours ”off” from working in 4 months.  This person is one of many.  This means that this person along with others hasn’t been able to get a straight uninterrupted more than 6.5 hours of sleep in 4 months.

This is an industry standard, and based on the statutory requirements for work/rest hours.  They get 10 hours of rest per 24 hours, minimum, of which one period cannot be less than 6 hours.  So, getting 7 hours off is above the requirements, and pretty typical for all lines.  This has actually gotten better than "the old days" since the STCW convention went into force in 1984, setting these work/rest hour requirements.  Even the bridge and engine watchkeepers only get one 8 hour time off, and one 4 hour time off, and these are frequently interrupted by drills (which are exceptions to the time off requirements).  And, the crew know these work/rest hour situations when they agree to take the job in their home country, even before traveling to the ship.

I worked with many NCL crew that had the same work hours as your "favorite employee", and did it for a 10 month contract, and many would do two or more back to back contracts.  It's part of going to sea.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

50 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

I absolutely love Royal Caribbean.  It is my favorite cruise line and company.  We are Diamond Plus members.  We’ve made incredible memories and have had the best of vacations with Royal Caribbean.

I know that across the cruise industry, working conditions are very tough with no days off for 6-8 months, in addition to long hours at all hours of the day.  In addition, I know that most crew earn just about nothing for a salary and solely rely on gratuities, although they make the sacrifice as they earn more than they otherwise would in their home countries.

What’s upsetting is to learn how RCL treats its employees worse than other cruise lines, with fewer “privileges.”

What is also incredibly upsetting is how despite Starlink wifi and the many millions RCL must make from it each month across its fleet with most passengers purchasing it, staff still are unable to easily keep in touch with the with family without access to this basic necessity.

Aside from standard messaging on WhatsApp, staff on RCL need to pay for all other access to wifi, including the ability to call or video call on any app or FaceTime.  Normally RCL staff are CHARGED 3.99 per hour of internet.  Over the holidays, they couldn’t even be given free internet to talk with family but were charged 1.99 an hour during the hours of 11pm-7am when most should be getting their limited sleep.

So of the $100 of salary Royal Caribbean pays most of its crew each week (before tips), $2 per hour of wifi is charged for access to basic internet to keep in touch with family they are away from for 8 months at a time.

Whats even crazier is that I learned crew ip addresses are blocked from guest wifi.  Someone tried to give a crew member access to my wifi account to call home but this person stated that crew ip addresses are blocked from accessing guest wifi.

I love this company.  But other cruise lines such as NCL give crew free internet for calls, FaceTime, texts and social media at a bare minimum.  Virgin is an extreme with free wifi for all.  Other cruise lines give at least basic internet for calls for free to staff.  Why can’t rcl do the same for what makes their company the amazing one it is - their staff and crew, the hardest working and most friendly people I’ve ever met.

Is there any way at all we could sign a petition or do something across the cruisecritic RCL forum for RCL to provide free internet to its employees at a bare minimum, in line with other major lines?

I am not trying to start a debate or anything controversial, I am just sad and appalled that RCL charges its crew for basic wifi, especially during the holiday season, without an ability to talk by phone or video call to family, given the day and age we live in.

I'm guessing you will no longer cruise with RC? That would be your best option if you don't like what they are doing. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

can earn an annual average between $16,000 to $20,000.

This sounds about right, maybe just a tad low.

10 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

The estimated total pay for a Stateroom Attendant at Royal Caribbean Group is $3,371 per month.

This is way high, from my experience.  They are more in the first wage category above.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

I doubt that RCL treats its employees worse than other mass market cruise lines. Can you prove that? If some crew member told you that, that is not proof. They might be trying to get something from you. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

And you know how much the line profits from internet?  How much do they pay per month/per ship?  If you don't know that, you don't know whether they are reaping "many millions" from it, do you?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

When I saw "DIRE UPSETTING crew conditions", I was expecting to hear about rats in crew cabins, not internet access. 

And, based on my recollections, I decided to look up the Maritime Labor Convention (MLC 2006) that covers seafarers' rights (cruise ship crew are seafarers, too).  Up until last year seafarers were not guaranteed internet access at all, so cruise ships offering it for decades, even if it is charged for, was better than 90% of merchant mariners had until Covid.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm guessing you will no longer cruise with RC? That would be your best option if you don't like what they are doing. 

I will continue to cruise rcl cause they provide an awesome product.  But I just wish they could have their staff basic perks to keep in touch with family.  Me boycotting them won’t do anything but us collectively could truly make a difference for something so simple that would go a long way for so many.

Im baffled that asking for crew to have access to basic wifi is so controversial.

10 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

I will continue to cruise rcl cause they provide an awesome product.  But I just wish they could have their staff basic perks to keep in touch with family.  Me boycotting them won’t do anything but us collectively could truly make a difference for something so simple that would go a long way for so many.

Im baffled that asking for crew to have access to basic wifi is so controversial.

Seems a bit hypocritical that you are complaining this much about them yet you will continue to patronize them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, john91498 said:

You've been on CC for over 7 years. Have you not noticed there are some baffling folks on here? 😆

Great point, ha.  I gave fellow cruisers the benefit of doubt of hoping we could agree on basic communication for staff when away from their families for so long, with no days off.

Silly me I guess for hoping we could all agree on a bare minimum standard of treatment and communication for those away from home making astronomically below minimum wage.

Edited by cusematt4

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

So tell Royal!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Great point, ha.  I gave fellow cruisers the benefit of doubt of hoping we could agree on basic communication for staff when away from their families for so long, with no days off.

Silly me I guess for hoping we could all agree on a bare minimum standard of treatment and communication for those away from home making astronomically below minimum wage.

What minimum wage are you referring to? The minimum wage in their home country, where they are likely to be spending their earnings?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Seems a bit hypocritical that you are complaining this much about them yet you will continue to patronize them.

Also, it seems that giving them free, unlimited access would cut into the sleep hours, which the OP is also worried about.

(Not to mention how much that would potentially slow the internet down for EVERYONE on the ship - crew and guests alike.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi All,

Most everything stated in this Op-Ed post is somewhat overstated and dramatized 

The working hours stated are well

Within industry standards 
You have no idea how much Royal pays each crew member before tips, but again; by international seafarer labour rules it is certainly more than $100. 
I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but I hardly consider the lack of free WiFi to be a hardship of any kind. 

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 7