Medical question

My wife had to have stitches for a bad cut on her arm before a cruise a couple of years ago. When we realized that the date to have them removed was during the cruise we contacted our PCP for advice. She said leaving them in an extra couple of days wouldn't hurt. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rudyard said:

My wife had to have stitches for a bad cut on her arm before a cruise a couple of years ago. When we realized that the date to have them removed was during the cruise we contacted our PCP for advice. She said leaving them in an extra couple of days wouldn't hurt. 

I would think a medical professional would be a better person to consult.

17 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I would think a medical professional would be a better person to consult.

Not sure if you were trying to make a joke but...PCP = Primary Care Physician.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Not sure if you were trying to make a joke but...PCP = Primary Care Physician.

My bad. I was thinking personal cruise something or other. I'm sure it is not my first mistake or will be my last. 

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

My bad. I was thinking personal cruise something or other. I'm sure it is not my first mistake or will be my last. 

No worries. I didn't even think about PCP looking similar to PVP. Should have just said Doctor instead. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Take them out yourself or have your travel companion help you. It’s just not that hard to do. 

Forgot I had a matched set manicure kit in my purse. Last cruise, the lil girly running the scanner insisted on taking the 1/2” long scissors from me.  Just BS. That night they handed me a steak knife at dinner. OMG. Common sense has indeed left the planet!!  #annoyed  

Edited by silvercrikhix
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

Take them out yourself or have your travel companion help you. It’s just not that hard to do. 

Forgot I had a matched set manicure kit in my purse. Last cruise, the lil girly running the scanner insisted on taking the 1/2” long scissors from me.  Just BS. That night they handed me a steak knife at dinner. OMG. Common sense has indeed left the planet!!  #annoyed  

BINGO!!!

On 1/4/2024 at 4:46 PM, joyful34 said:

Infirmary visit alone is pretty high not to mention any service provided. 

That's what I always hear, and yet both times we've been to the infirmary on a cruise ship (once on Carnival, and once on Royal) we never got a charge. We were fully expecting to be billed, and nothing. (Definitely not complaining!)

Both times it was for anaphylaxis (food allergic reaction), and both times we administered epi before arriving at the infirmary, and they were monitoring afterwards, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

7 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Both times it was for anaphylaxis (food allergic reaction), and both times we administered epi before arriving at the infirmary, and they were monitoring afterwards, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Probably didn't get charged because it was potentially due to a Carnival error (i.e., food not labeled with allergen), similar to how they don't charge to treat an accident that occurred on the ship.  They'd rather treat you at no cost and hope that makes you happy than risk a lawsuit.

Whereas they would charge to remove stitches that OP came onboard with or to treat most illnesses.  

Just an FYI on cost:  My daughter got an ear infection last week on board and the base charge was $125.   With medications and out the door the total charge came to $156.  I didn't think that was too bad.   

36 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

Just an FYI on cost:  My daughter got an ear infection last week on board and the base charge was $125.   With medications and out the door the total charge came to $156.  I didn't think that was too bad.   

A few years ago I had to get stitches in the infirmary after I tripped on a curb in St. Lucia. 

I forgot exactly what the cost was, but it was under $200 (including a follow up visit), far less than what my hometown urgent care would have charged me. 

• Like 1

Just bought insurance for my upcoming  cruise... I printed out the 5 pages of coverage info... So do I fold these 5 page and shove them in my pocket for each of the seven days.. ? solo cruiser here... I'm thinking the worse, If I'm not conscience to tell someone I have med/evac coverage.. 

1 hour ago, southbayer said:

Just bought insurance for my upcoming  cruise... I printed out the 5 pages of coverage info... So do I fold these 5 page and shove them in my pocket for each of the seven days.. ? solo cruiser here... I'm thinking the worse, If I'm not conscience to tell someone I have med/evac coverage.. 

For treatment on the ship, they charge to your onboard account, which you settle as normal, and you file with your insurance when you get home. 

It's only if you get medevac'd or get hospitalized that your insurance usually needs to get involved immediately.  Either they suggest that you contact them first because they have negotiated rates with some providers or the policy requires you to notify them when getting treatment under those circumstances. 

On 1/7/2024 at 5:48 AM, ontheweb said:

FWIW, I had the exact same thought you did 🤣

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

PCP makes me think of '60's drug scene in Cali....

Then FWIW is a song by Buffalo Springfield (1966) a classic.

Edited by BallFour4
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 5:33 PM, pinkiek said:

My husband and I are sailing on the Mardi Gras January 13th.  My husband had some minor surgery today and the stitches need to come out on the 16th.  Does anyone know if the ships infirmary would do this.  I know there would be a charge.

Thanks

@pinkiek  Today is 1/16.  I do hope all turned out well but I am curious, how did you handle the situation?