Wonder from Port Canaveral

19 minutes ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

We have never sailed out of Port Canaveral.

Would Orlando be the closest major airport I would want to fly into?

Keep in mind the airport is about 45-60min from the port so you will need transportation.  A taxi will cost you $$$$.  Most people will use Uber, one-way car rental or pre-booked shuttle. 

Here is a list of some of the most popular shuttles…..

IMG_3254.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

that list is very helpful. Thank you.

Any recommendations for a decent hotel near Port Canaveral that offers a shuttle to the ship?

Plan on flying in the day before so we need transportation from airport to hotel, and then hotel to port on cruise day.

@RCCLNYMETS41...we have always used the transportation provided by the cruise line. I have never found any hotels in Orlando offering free shuttle to the port, mainly because of the distance. However many hotels offer free shuttle from the airport to the hotel. We just stayed in the Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel. A very nice reasonably priced hotel. You have to call for the shuttle to get you to the hotel (courtesy phones in the airport) and shuttles running every 30mins back to the airport.

3 hours ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

that list is very helpful. Thank you.

Any recommendations for a decent hotel near Port Canaveral that offers a shuttle to the ship?

Plan on flying in the day before so we need transportation from airport to hotel, and then hotel to port on cruise day.

Because you are are need of a hotel and transportation I suggest taking a look at GoPort.  They have packages to take care of your hotel and all transportation to/from airport to hotel to port…

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an article listing hotels with shuttles to the Port https://www.allcruisehotels.com/blog/port-canaveral-hotels-cruise-shuttle/

However, Port Canaveral prices have gotten crazy, so you may want to check one of the travel apps or check individual hotel prices yourself. Radisson at the Port, Marriott Courtyard, Hampton inn, are some that we’ve previously stayed in with shuttles.  However, this March we’re staying at Holiday Inn express and Ubering to Port. Good luck!

Edited by akupupule
Spelling

There are two reasonable options depending on your flight timing, activity preferences and budget.

You can stay at a hotel near the Orlando airport and take a shuttle or Uber to the port in the morning.  There are plenty of hotels near the airport, of course, with a variety of price points.  Same with dinner and breakfast options.  If I had a late flight arrival, I’d stay near the airport.

You can stay near the port at Cocoa Beach or Cape Canaveral, for example.  If your flight is earlier and you want another beach day, this is a nice option.  If you want to wake up near the beach and/or the ship, this is a nice option.  There are a decent number of hotels though prices are apt to run higher for food and lodging in this beach/touristy area vs airport area.

• 3 months later...

Before I finalize my port Canaveral plans, I want to see if any of the cruise critic experts see any red flags with what I am thinking...

Plane lands at Orlando (MCO) at 1pm on Sept 7th.

Schedule Airport Canaveral 3:30pm pick up to go from airport to hotel which will be

Hampton Inn & Suites Cape Canaveral (1 night) then the next morning 

take 10:30am hotel shuttle (I am just not an Uber/Lyft person) to the cruise port

Total cost ($340 total for 2 people)

-side note, I looked into GOPORT, but since I don't need the transfer from ship back to airport on the return, the package did not work for us.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

1 hour ago, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

Before I finalize my port Canaveral plans, I want to see if any of the cruise critic experts see any red flags with what I am thinking...

Plane lands at Orlando (MCO) at 1pm on Sept 7th.

Schedule Airport Canaveral 3:30pm pick up to go from airport to hotel which will be

Hampton Inn & Suites Cape Canaveral (1 night) then the next morning 

take 10:30am hotel shuttle (I am just not an Uber/Lyft person) to the cruise port

Total cost ($340 total for 2 people)

-side note, I looked into GOPORT, but since I don't need the transfer from ship back to airport on the return, the package did not work for us.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

My only suggestion: 

Hotels next to the airport are cheaper than hotels next to the port.  I think you could save a few bucks by taking an airport shuttle to a basic hotel next to the airport ... then taking the more lengthy ride on the morning of boarding.  I personally don't mind getting up early on boarding day ... I'm always too excited to sleep anyway.  

Plane scheduled to land at Orlando (MCO) at 1pm on Sept 7th.

Fixed the first line of the itinerary you laid out.  

Overall your plan looks fine.  As i put with the correction, flights may get delayed.  Overall it is not all that common but there is probably something like a 25% for some sort of delay.  

Hi all just havin a beer and found this thread great info 👍 so I ask flying from Australia Wonder feb 2nd 2025 comp and pinnical Feb 9th 2025. Was going to do one day Magic  kingdom . Two adults 7year old. pre cruise . Needing the cheapest option due to AU $ . Happy to stay anywhere . Thanks 🙃🇦🇺

14 hours ago, RoperDK said:

I love staying close to the port overnight.  The drive from Orlando can back up if there is an accident with no exit to make an escape.  I like being stress free morning of embarkation.  

That's certainly a valid opinion.  We've done it, and it's worked out well.  

But these days we've fallen into a different pattern, and we prefer it for the savings:  We drive, and we stop in Titusville, which is a 26 minute drive from the port.  We always stay at Days Inn (again, Titusville), which is nothing fancy but is clean, literally in view of the interstate and provides a very basic breakfast. I just checked prices for our next cruise, and we're paying $74 for that single night.  I compared the same night at Hampton Inn near the port; they're $229.  Yes, a Hampton Inn is a nicer hotel and provides a better breakfast, but since we arrive late and leave early, we've been completely happy with the savings.  I mean, that'll pay for an excursion.  

The next morning our drive is less than 30 minutes.  We're always in the first boarding group, so we're up and out early (always so excited!) and we've never experienced traffic delays, but IF we ever do, we'll have hours to make that short drive.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We're always in the first boarding group, so we're up and out early (always so excited!) and we've never experienced traffic delays, but IF we ever do, we'll have hours to make that short drive.  

Since you just identified yourself as being Pinnacle (who are always the first to board unless you count B2Bs) do you always wear your Pinnacle name tag? Just curious since I have several friends who are Pinnacles who range from never wearing it to others who wear it 24/7 (I assume they don’t sleep in it but I have never checked that out 🙂).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

That's certainly a valid opinion.  We've done it, and it's worked out well.  

But these days we've fallen into a different pattern, and we prefer it for the savings:  We drive, and we stop in Titusville, which is a 26 minute drive from the port.  We always stay at Days Inn (again, Titusville), which is nothing fancy but is clean, literally in view of the interstate and provides a very basic breakfast. I just checked prices for our next cruise, and we're paying $74 for that single night.  I compared the same night at Hampton Inn near the port; they're $229.  Yes, a Hampton Inn is a nicer hotel and provides a better breakfast, but since we arrive late and leave early, we've been completely happy with the savings.  I mean, that'll pay for an excursion.  

The next morning our drive is less than 30 minutes.  We're always in the first boarding group, so we're up and out early (always so excited!) and we've never experienced traffic delays, but IF we ever do, we'll have hours to make that short drive.  

I totally agree about staying in Titusville!  I consider that close to the port.  I have stayed in the Orlando area or Jacksonville area before.  It does make our drive shorter than going all the way down.  However, all you need is an accident on 528 (Orlando) or I-95 (Jacksonville) to ruin your day.  We are Hilton Diamond members and have enough points to pay for Canaveral hotels, but I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Titusville.  It's actually a hidden gem.  Shhhh...don't tell anyone. 😉  

• Like 1

Another vote for Titusville!  

Prices in Cape Canaveral have gotten ridiculous so since we drive we stop in Titusville and stay at Hyatt Place.  It is located on US 1 so on cruise day we just drive straight down to Hwy 528.  Takes less than 30 min….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Since you just identified yourself as being Pinnacle (who are always the first to board unless you count B2Bs) do you always wear your Pinnacle name tag? Just curious since I have several friends who are Pinnacles who range from never wearing it to others who wear it 24/7 (I assume they don’t sleep in it but I have never checked that out 🙂).

No, not Pinnacle.  I meant earliest normal group.  Didn't mean to be misleading.  

If I had a pinnacle name tag, I wouldn't wear it -- too pretentious for me.  

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

I totally agree about staying in Titusville!  I consider that close to the port. 

20 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

Another vote for Titusville!  

Yep, for those of us who drive, it's the sweet spot between low prices and driving all the way to the port.  

• Like 3

On 1/14/2024 at 12:44 PM, RCCLNYMETS41 said:

We have never sailed out of Port Canaveral.

Would Orlando be the closest major airport I would want to fly into?

Yep.  My advice is if you are arriving before 4pm, take a shuttle to a Cocoa Beach Hotel so you're out near the port and can have a nice dinner at Zarrella's Wood Fired Italian, Papa Vito's or the famous Fish Lips at the pier. Come in two days early and spend a day at the Kennedy Space Center, it's amazeballs. 

If you arrive after 4pm, depending on how long you've been traveling already, my advice is to grab a hotel in the Orlando airport area, have a nice dinner and then take the 1 hour shuttle in the morning. When it's later, it's nice to just settle in to the hotel and grab dinner than push your day out even further.

I recommend Cocoa Beach Shuttle, they are a family run company, really great folks and they will pick you up from any Orlando hotel, the Orlando airport and deliver you to the Port or any of the Cocoa Beach hotels.