The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday, January 15th, 2024

kazu

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I do think the idea of ordering one and a bunch of straws is a good one. 

Good plan!  I was going to suggest bringing the recipe!

We might end up with @RedneckBob's fried chicken in the glass!

Great idea!

Or you could ask for it to be “deconstructed “… and each have an agreeable “portion” of it 😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise comes with a bit of a strange story.  I was booked on a 32-day cruise on Crystal Symphony to Antarctica and back to Miami.  I did not want to fly from Baltimore in the middle of winter to meet such a major cruise so I came up with a strange workaround, sailing Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton and connecting with Queen Victoria for the start of their World Cruise, Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.  January 15 was a sea day from Ponta Delgada to Fort Lauderdale.

I have always admired your ingenuity at creating itineraries to avoid flying and enjoy cruising.  that was a brilliant one !

6 hours ago, tupper10 said:

@kazu Please be safe out there today.  For black ice even spikes on your shoes don't help. 

I got it as clean as I could.  Some I left alone as it wasn’t slippery and I was afraid if it melted it would freeze and be black ice.  When I got home, it looked not too bad.  I was able to walk off with Ivan and that’s the most important thing 😉 

6 hours ago, tupper10 said:

Thanks for all your help yesterday with the shore excursion question.

Very happy to help any time I can - anytime 🙂 

3 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good afternoon just checking in to comment I am sick with a respiratory virus probably RSV because I tested negative for the other two.  We are both confined to cabin, I knew I was but John went to the Neptune Lounge to cancel a shore excursion at 7am and he grabbed me some pastry we got the letter 45 minutes later.  John is fine, I am getting better slowly.  Just started on Prednisone to stop the terrible cough. This is the same illness I have had many times it just has had different names. 

Oh gee, Nancy 😞. So sorry to hear this 😢. I thought it was cruise crud but they don’t usually confine to a cabin for that.  RSV is risky.  I hope your Prednisone helps and the medical centre can help you both 🙏 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@ottahand7I really hope that you dont have what I had on the transatlantic back to Tampa from Rome.  Add in COPD, and I really could not breathe, nor have I been well since.  Get well soon, and rest.  

i got in trouble at work today, had a great sale, but my boss will have to call the sale back and tell him he cant get front row.  I'm used to writing down what they want, not what they can get.  Oh well.  And it was a good sale.  Too bad if I lost that one.

And now it's back to work for two hours. I get off at 10 eastern time  My left hip does not like sitting.  This has happened before, but I wasn't sitting as much .  

Something that i need to remind myself every day, and sometimes fail to do-

I am who I am.  I can be happy, or I can be sad.  I choose.  I can think of myself poor, or can think myself rich.  I choose.  I can be in pain, but I can do as much as I can.  I choose.  And when bad things happen, I ask God, not why, but what is it He is teaching me today.  Celebrate life, and joy.  There are things that I cannot control, but I can control how I handle them.  And most of all, it's OK to cry.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, kazu said:

I have always admired your ingenuity at creating itineraries to avoid flying and enjoy cruising.  that was a brilliant one !

What I forgot to mention is that while we don't usually get a lot of snow on the day I would have flown to Buenos Aires we got close to 3 feet.  In the Miami airport I passed a VERY long line of people at a customer service desk trying to deal with missed flights, but I had a simple turnaround of what was basically a Buenos Aires-Miami-Buenos turnaround.

Roy

• Like 10

The contractor who will be doing the repair work from the water leak came by to measure my radiator. It's a vintage one, and decorative. Luckily he's interested in antiques and old houses and has some sources to try to get a replacement. Also there's no place to put all the furniture, and they'd have to go room by room with the floor refinishing. He is going to see if my insurance would pay for storage and the labor to put it somewhere.

@ottahand7 I'm sorry to hear of your respiratory illness and confinement to your cabin. Also that John is quarantined. I hope the meds they gave you help.

@aliaschief Thank you for the compliment. Do you have an iphone 15? It can take photos in 12MP, 24MP and 48MP. I know some people were just getting black boxes when trying to post photos here and had to lower the setting from 48MP. I think the default setting is 24MP. Also as mentioned, they have to be jpg photos, not the HEIC to post here. You can convert them from HEIC on transfer to a PC or MAC by a setting in photos. Or set the camera format to most compatible, which will shoot all future photos in jpg.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

@aliaschief Thank you for the compliment. Do you have an iphone 15? It can take photos in 12MP, 24MP and 48MP. I know some people were just getting black boxes when trying to post photos here and had to lower the setting from 48MP. I think the default setting is 24MP. Also as mentioned, they have to be jpg photos, not the HEIC to post here. You can convert them from HEIC on transfer to a PC or MAC by a setting in photos. Or set the camera format to most compatible, which will shoot all future photos in jpg.

Thank you!  This is very helpful!

• Like 6

This morning I babysat for a bit while the youngest went to her appt. Then I had a nice lunch (sushi! 🍣) with my GF. We hadn’t seen each other in a while so it was great to catch up. Took a nap when I got home. 

Thank you all for caring and sharing.  Prayers 🙏 for everyone who needs them.  Cheers 🎉 for all the celebrations. 

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I am who I am.  I can be happy, or I can be sad.  I choose.  I can think of myself poor, or can think myself rich.  I choose.  I can be in pain, but I can do as much as I can.  I choose.  And when bad things happen, I ask God, not why, but what is it He is teaching me today.  Celebrate life, and joy.  There are things that I cannot control, but I can control how I handle them.  And most of all, it's OK to cry.

Amen. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Well very late to the party!   But it sounds like the drink has lots for all!

Thank you for all the warm wishes,  both our dear grand pups had issues with the cold but are now doing ok.     It is not fit for man or beast! 

So as I said, there was only one place worth venturing out to….. the airport,  but what a dumb day,   The pilot got stuck because of flight issues and was over three hours late arriving from half an hour away.  We had to take on extra fuel as the plane was being kept running and then had to be deiced  twice.     So a four hour flight delay had us going to bed Saturday at 6:30 am home time.  Needless to say,  it’s taken two days to surface.   I even got a few quick supplies at 2:30 am local time,  no traffic,  now I know how they stock those shelves.  

But you know what’s worse than arriving late,  today they closed the airport indefinitely due to cracks on the runway and the flight from Vancouver was turned back after several hours flying time,  

So we may be marooned on this island indefinitely, which is fine with me after the cold! 

Hugs to those that need them!

IMG_0245.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, bennybear said:

But you know what’s worse than arriving late,  today they closed the airport indefinitely due to cracks on the runway and the flight from Vancouver was turned back after several hours flying time,  

So we may be marooned on this island indefinitely, which is fine with me after the cold! 

IMG_0245.jpeg

What an ordeal; happy to hear you made it. That picture is beautiful. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JazzyV said:

The contractor who will be doing the repair work from the water leak came by to measure my radiator. It's a vintage one, and decorative. Luckily he's interested in antiques and old houses and has some sources to try to get a replacement. Also there's no place to put all the furniture, and they'd have to go room by room with the floor refinishing. He is going to see if my insurance would pay for storage and the labor to put it somewhere.

@ottahand7 I'm sorry to hear of your respiratory illness and confinement to your cabin. Also that John is quarantined. I hope the meds they gave you help.

Thank you very much.

• Like 3