The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday, January 15th, 2024

kazu

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Today is Alpha Kappa Alpha Day, Blue Monday, and Brew Monday

The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions. - Alfred Adler

Meal Suggestion for today - Hearty Beef Chili
Drink of the Day - Chocolate Chicken
Wine of the Day - The Pinot Project Pinot Noir 
Destination of the Day - Albany, Western Australia, Australia 

Today in History:
1535 King Henry VIII declares himself head of the Church in England
1559 Elizabeth I crowned Queen of England in Westminster Abbey
1892 Basketball rules first published in Triangle Magazine, written by James Naismith

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-16

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Honolulu, Oahu Island Hawaii eta 01-19

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 01-16

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg, Sint Maarten eta 1/17

Oosterdam

Cape Horn, Chile Antarctica 

Rotterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 09:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Pago Pago, Tutuila Island American Samoa eta 01-18

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 01-16

Zuiderdam

Parintins, Brazil Amazon 10:00 - 18:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Burnie, Tasmania Australia 07:30 - 19:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Laem Chabang, Bangkok, Thailand eta 01-

• Like 19
  • Thanks 24

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP, gtube

Summer slope with a positive skin bx report

Kochleffel not feeling well

Haljo1935’s heat bit working

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

All in the path of storms and frigid temperatures

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

HAL Sailer’s DH with medical issues

Tana with pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Martin Luther King Day of Service

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

Seagarsmoker feeling better

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Kochleffel (Anthem of the Seas to Jan 18, 11d Southern Caribbean), Sailingdutchy(Rotterdam to Feb 4, 21d PC Sunfarer & Southern Caribbean Seafarer), Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B2B2B Caribbean), Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Cruise), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 23
  • Thanks 23

Good morning dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report. 

I had a really good second interview last Friday for a new job. I should know something by the end of the week.  

I hope everyone here has a great day. 

• Like 36
  • Thanks 4

Greetings from beautiful Punta Gorda

A little warmer today with some showers in the area but should get my golf in

Not sure about the quote

I love Chili so the meal works for me

We leave on the Equinox a month from today, 9 day cruise to Grand Cayman and the ABC islands.

Have a great day and stay well

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 31

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann, and Debbie/Tina.  With our current North American Weather Blue Monday seems appropriate but I'll pass on the other 2 days. 

I like the Adler quote.  I have sailed to Albany NY (Blount) but not the one in Australia.

Basketball  and Royalty have come up a lot in our days in history.  In addition, in 2009 Chesney Sulley Sullenburger landed US Airways flight 1549 in the Hudson behind the Manhattan Cruise Terminal with no loss of life.

The meal sounds interesting.  My alternative is Fresh Fruit with Peach Schnapps, Grilled Five Spice Lamb Chops. and Cherry Crisp as served on MS Prinsendam January 15, 2019.

dishes15.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good morning  and thank you for the Report.

Thanks for the maps.

Another cold, snowy day here.  The highway is closed.  Good thing we don't have to go anywhere.

Dr King is a man to celebrate.   Hooray for AKA sorority.   I like tea, I'll brew a pot.  I won't celebrate Blue Monday.

I like the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing recipes.  Not sure about the drink or wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a good day.   Stay safe.

• Like 28

Good morning friends!  It's 37F this morning so above freezing but still not feeling very warm.  High will be around 60 with partly cloudy skies.  Feeling blessed right now because it will be much colder - the next two nights may be in the teens!

Thank you Jacqui @kazu for posting our Fleet Report and Daily for Rich @richwmn.  And thank you Roy @rafinmd for the maps today.  Let's all celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!  Hurray for AKA Day, Blue Monday and Brew Monday.  I believe that quote could be true!  Hearty beef chili sounds like a great idea on a freezing day like today but who thought up Chocolate Chicken as a name for their cocktail??  Yuck!  No thanks to the pinot noir!  All good days on this day in history!  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for researching our food and beverages for us today.

Prayers for all our Dailyites feeling under the weather, recovering from medical procedures or surgeries, in pain, or feeling lost and depressed.  Also for the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and our brave military under attack on bases and ships in the region.  Not to forget my DB, DGD, friends and their spouses who care for them.  🙏  Cheers to those celebrating happy events and cruising!  🚢🎂  Thanks so much Vanessa @JazzyV for your work on our lists every single day!❤️

Our port of the day is Albany in Western Australia.  It's a very nice little town which DH and I visited in 2017.  The prior dates Albany was our port were Aug. 6, 2021, March 26, 2022 and Oct. 6, 2023.  Here are the links for you.

I know yesterday was a big football day and may I congratulate all whose teams won, and send my sympathy to those whose teams bit the dust.  Will this football season ever end?  It's later every year.

Hoping you all keep safe and warm, and stay healthy!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Today's port of Albany, Australia was a nice place to visit.  We got off the Sun Princess in October, 2017 during our circumnavigation of Australia cruise and walked around the city.  It has a small town atmosphere.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJf7DiHEpddb58WesLIugII?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Along the waterfront00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJ_FtkTblj9tjPhWauVYGI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Heading to the downtown streets00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9cT0noKc3tVAPMqJ1xqKj?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

St. John the Evangelist church00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJQIPnK5Hnki437l_I3cV77?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The shopping district00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIKBD5R1IIK8gkd4GE-X5L-?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrWVtX94g-RT9knWEqtBgC?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKNKUpM7Ps7kdhPYgs8cd8A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI-Ieuhfr5Quyf7URgT_bRl?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1648298039

There were some vendors who had set up shop in this grassy lot so spent some time looking around there.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkhcGMUWzsTCjqWJ9dkzuQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

Woodworkers, knitters, and the like.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLsjSEpB7SD2oVVz10SqptS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

There was a bus stop nearby where we could ride back to the ship, and as we walked there we saw this sign.  Watch out for the magpies!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLHB5WhyRruliwxcHcp9c0T?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We ran across a bagpiper in Albany.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

I like to take photos of menu boards outside restaurants and bars.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLLINqjcgBBK68QTa18EkDhKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It says "Buy 1 beer for the price of 2, and get your 2nd beer FREE!!

Mail carriers around the world always interest me.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxJU0aC5liI8VUQb74SlJo5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

The Albany War Memorial00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKaFZpX_Kk04Q55NNEXPIB75cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

This monument lists those who died in WW1, WW2, Korean War and Vietnam War.

When we left the Sun Princess earlier in the day we noticed a fire truck at the marina.  Somebody was having a bad morning!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLG5GFQJNvKhgFReah3ABd9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

That's it for today!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Happy Monday everyone.  Hopefully no one is suffering too hard from Blue Monday - designated the most depressing day of the year 🤞 

and a very happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  There’s a lot of truth in the Adler quote.  Some very historic and important moments in history today.  Ironic that on the same date that Henry VIII declared himself the head of the church, his daughter whom he legitimized by his action of creating the new church was crowned.

IMG_1436.thumb.jpeg.15ae3be8a98b88ebb911e9caeaaaecd5.jpeg

Looks like we were gifted last night with some ice or snow.  It’s white but just in spots so I fear ice 😔.  I have time to clean the driveway before I head out to see my BFF and her new kitty, thankfully.   It’s a chilly one again but not as bad as Gerry’s frozen tundra so I will just bear it.  It’s January after all.

IMG_1437.thumb.jpeg.08cb97da8dcf3fdee073c68bd5ae514b.jpeg

Prayers for those n the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health issues, worries and those that need them. 🙏 Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_1958.thumb.jpeg.b0d38472386086285519369fe707d30b.jpeg

Have a good Monday, all.

• Like 27
  • Haha 16

Good morning. It’s our last sea day on this leg as we reach Salaverry, Peru where we are going to visit archeological sites. Lima will follow and that will be an overnight. Then we start heading West with several sea days and hopes that we can visit Easter Island. They say about a fifty-fifty chance. We have two days there to succeed

Today we have a chefs cooking demo at 11:00 and the afternoon is loaded with lectures. Right now as I’m looking at a new day breaking it appears a little cloudy outside. Having coffee delivered to cabin this morning and it should be here any moment. The fish BBQ poolside was so good that last night’s dinner was salad and soup. Every night there is a different culinary theme as an option from regular menus in MDR (Discovery) and what we refer to as Lido which is called Windows on this ship. Last night’s theme was Indonesia. So there are lots of opportunities to experience different culinary experiences.

Our singer and dancers put on a great show last night. Tonight the ships orchestra has a show titled Big Band Era and that will be followed by  a show by our Cruise Director Eric.

Our Star Link WiFi was good enough yesterday we were able to attend our church online service and did two Face Time with children and grandchildren.

Enough rambling. Thanks to all for the post and thanks to Martin Luther King of whom we honor today.

Have a great week. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.994632853e19fab2b57b1de8a3fffe14.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3c0bec4b1347f1ec71927c09bdc6ff35.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5ff6297bfbb86edd487bc8a6806fe63d.jpeg

• Like 24
  • Haha 12

I love chocolate but this is to much for me.  I can't wait for Bob's comments.

Chocolate Chicken cocktail:

1/2 oz of 151 proof rum (or overproof rum)
1/2 oz of amaretto almond liqueur (or almond liqueur)
1/2 oz of dark creme de cacao (or chocolate liqueur)
1/2 oz of Crown Royal canadian whisky (or whiskey)
1/2 oz of Kahlua coffee liqueur (or coffee liqueur)
1/2 oz of Bailey's Irish Cream (or Irish Cream)
1/2 oz of wild turkey bourbon whiskey (or Bourbon Whiskey)
Cream

Fill glass with ice, add all ingredients and fill the rest of the glass with cream!

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 7.02.41 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 4

Today's sunrise comes with a bit of a strange story.  I was booked on a 32-day cruise on Crystal Symphony to Antarctica and back to Miami.  I did not want to fly from Baltimore in the middle of winter to meet such a major cruise so I came up with a strange workaround, sailing Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton and connecting with Queen Victoria for the start of their World Cruise, Southampton to Fort Lauderdale.  January 15 was a sea day from Ponta Delgada to Fort Lauderdale.

dawn0115.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for the maps! Rich, thank you for sharing your journey with us! It is 53 and today will be very seasonal. But tomorrow night the big chill comes. Frost and freeze warnings all around - even along the coast. Still nothing compared to the temps so much of our continent is facing. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with our happenings. Praying for permanent relief from your pain and great, sleepful nights. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, and a birthday lunch for a friend - I see a lemon drop martini in my future because this great restaurant has horrible wine options. 😱

IMG_2407.jpeg.5801326d6e0a3d195d26d3a11e2db742.jpeg

IMG_2397.jpeg.7b0f1def4623558543c78a708f60f231.jpeg

IMG_2405.jpeg.c4c19928c99ccd480072762ab5f4fbce.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Especially those suffering from debilitating pain and conditions, those grieving the loss of a loved one, and the caregivers. Thinking of you Terry, Tana and Melissa. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! @grapau27 Graham, I hope you and Pauline are off enjoying yourselves! 
@seagarsmoker Hope your job offer happens! Congrats on a great second interview!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

The Pinot Project Pinot Noir 

This California Pinot Noir has lots of fans. It is widely available and priced to try. Numerous distributors with prices starting at $10.99. 

Winemaker Notes

Handcrafted from high-quality Sonoma County, Monterey, and Central Coast vineyards. Cool garnet in color with aromas of pomegranate and fresh roses, this Pinot Noir is balanced on the palate with notes of black cherry and five spice with a smooth, lingering finish.

90Wine Enthusiast

Beautiful, fresh fruit flavors light up this no-nonsense wine, delivering the varietal's classic red and black cherries, along with light cinnamon nuances and a good, lightly tannic texture. It's easy to quaff and interesting, too

90James Suckling

Aromas of fresh herbs, strawberries and hibiscus. Medium-bodied with wet-mineral character. Soft tannins. Straightforward and tasty.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 3

Woke up too early but it’ll have to do. Clear and chilly this morning, 19F, the snow will come tomorrow when we have to get out to DH’s allergist visit. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Today I had planned to get to the oncampus store to get a USPS priority mailer out to my sister and niece for the new baby, but I doubt they’ll be able to do today with the holiday. Add it the list for later in the week. 

Yesterday I didn’t do paperwork again, but I did get out to the pool!  It’s been months since I did hip exercises and I was really feeling it last night. But my hip is doing better overall, I think the walking in the new complex is a help. I don’t do long walks but daily short walking with slightly longer ones a few times a week seems good. That and maybe less stress now that we are settling in. I’m just very glad everyday that I can walk and DH can see. Very grateful!  

Happy for the Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Lions who won yesterday. DH listened to thevKansas City Chief win over the Miami Dolphins Saturday- it was only on Peacock tv but we got a radio broadcast on Sirius satellite radio. Today we’ll see Buffalo and Pittsburg. I hope that postponing the game made it safer for everyone. 

I remember when Martin Luther King Jr was murdered. He certainly pushed hard in his short life to move our world forward. I’m glad we got to visit his deeply moving and thought-provoking memorial while we lived in Maryland the day we walked the tidal basin.  It was an outstanding day for me, that’s the farthest I’ve walked in years!  I’m a little sad that we didn’t get to do more in the DC area but we sure enjoyed what we did do!  

Blessings sent out much too early today!  Hugs to you all!  
Thank you Vanessa for your dedication to keeping up our Care List and all our travelers. I hope everyone can keep warm enough and find a smile in the day. Thanks for being here!  
Maureen

• Like 31

Good morning everyone from a frosty Boston.  Thanks for the daily updates.  Three interesting days to observe if you like. I’d skip Blue Monday in favor of Brew Monday.  The quote is food for thought.  Perfect day for today’s meal suggestion.  The drink doesn’t even sound appealing, somewhere along the lines as a butternut squash colada!  I haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on today’s prayer list.  Cheers to those of you who are celebrating happy events today! 🍾

• Like 25
  • Haha 4

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Great respect for Dr. Martin Luther King and his efforts in the civil rights movement.  We don't have sororities at Canadian universities - at least none that I know of.  It's definitely Blue Monday - parts exposed will turn blue in minutes!  Will certainly be brewing up a lot . . . of tea today.

Yep, it's cold.  The weather network tells me it's -35C (-31F) and the wind chill - how it actually feels when you're outside - is -46(-50.8).  Listening to the radio, there are so many school bus cancellations that instead of listing them all, they told of the 3 that are still running, or planning to.  I know thousands of parents are scrambling to get their children to school, or trying to make arrangements for their care while they're at work. Yesterday DH went out to start my car, but it was dead.  And it was too cold for him to be out there putting the battery charger on it, so he just left it.  His SUV is in the garage, as it's the one we most often use in the winter, so if we need to go anywhere, that's what we'll use.  We just like to keep mine going as a back up.  Perhaps if the sun comes out later today we can put the charger on mine, but we'll see.

Not much on the agenda today except keeping warm.  I feel bad for those who are affected by the storms - if you're one of them, please be careful!  I'd like to try the drink of the day but would substitute something like vodka for the rye and bourbon because, well, chocolate.  I'm sure the wine would be nice, and we had chili last week.  I found a recipe for something I haven't made in a long time, it's for a chicken pasta bake that I'll put together so we can have a body warming meal at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

IMG_8906.thumb.jpeg.00bd8d6250d4c94cfef286d55f874ea9.jpeg

I see a great similarity between the Alfred Adler and MLK quotes.  I agree that this is the best way to live your life. “The chief danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.”

• Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone!

It is a very cold start to the day with a temperature of 1F.  I can't complain as it isn't as cold as @ger_77 Gerry has it.  But, I think the fireplace will be on today!  Nothing on the agenda for today except to keep warm.  Maybe go to Lowe's and get a new doorknob for Sue's bedroom door.  She says she has no idea how it got locked, but I do.  She has a lock fetish and feels the need to lock everything.  She has locked herself out of the house a couple of times.  Fortunately, I was home and able to let her back in.  

@Sharon in AZ, @summer slope, and @Quartzsite Cruiser, I think we should all try the drink while we are onboard our BHB.  I'm game!

Today's meal is perfect for today!  I may brave the cold and go get chili fixings for us!  This first one is different in that it doesn't use ground beef.  Also, it has no beans.  I know some people do not like beans in their chili. And, it has beer in it.   https://tuttorossotomatoes.com/recipes/detail/hearty-beef-chili

beefchili1.thumb.jpg.617126543e555be05622b4c25ac193d7.jpg

This next recipe is a more classic chili recipe.  https://www.browneyedbaker.com/all-american-beef-chili/

beefchili2.thumb.jpg.3649bc17912b2e2f367b56a3410b495e.jpg

The last recipe contains bacon!  I bet that adds a great flavor to the chili.  https://suebeehomemaker.com/hearty-beef-chili/

beefchili3.thumb.jpg.55602bea3be4e9ab899e8ca7d76f6910.jpg

Time for more coffee!

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 11

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning. It’s our last sea day on this leg as we reach Salaverry, Peru where we are going to visit archeological sites. Lima will follow and that will be an overnight. Then we start heading West with several sea days and hopes that we can visit Easter Island. They say about a fifty-fifty chance. We have two days there to succeed

Today we have a chefs cooking demo at 11:00 and the afternoon is loaded with lectures. Right now as I’m looking at a new day breaking it appears a little cloudy outside. Having coffee delivered to cabin this morning and it should be here any moment. The fish BBQ poolside was so good that last night’s dinner was salad and soup. Every night there is a different culinary theme as an option from regular menus in MDR (Discovery) and what we refer to as Lido which is called Windows on this ship. Last night’s theme was Indonesia. So there are lots of opportunities to experience different culinary experiences.

Our singer and dancers put on a great show last night. Tonight the ships orchestra has a show titled Big Band Era and that will be followed by  a show by our Cruise Director Eric.

Our Star Link WiFi was good enough yesterday we were able to attend our church online service and did two Face Time with children and grandchildren.

Enough rambling. Thanks to all for the post and thanks to Martin Luther King of whom we honor today.

Have a great week. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.994632853e19fab2b57b1de8a3fffe14.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3c0bec4b1347f1ec71927c09bdc6ff35.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5ff6297bfbb86edd487bc8a6806fe63d.jpeg

Are we sure it is not Graham?

• Like 7
  • Haha 13

Happy Monday as we celebrate MLK day. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

image.thumb.png.0ad95360d8868076361026a444940b6e.png

It is very cold here and tomorrow we should get some snow. Maybe just a couple of inches but with the cold, everything will be slippery. Working from home today and I will switch to working from home tomorrow. Today is grading for four classes, I have a first meeting with a nutritionist who will help me get a better understanding for eating as a diabetic. Then later, a committee meeting. I am going to find some time to get to the gym today. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

image.png.aac98f89899b66cbb1ab0aed70ef2946.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1