Princess plus v Princess Premier

sandancer

40 minutes ago, Wonders By Wallis said:

Do they sell the Widow by the glass? 

Yes I saw it on one of the online bar list by the glass. Can’t remember the price.

Edited by tulok
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:37 PM, Wonders By Wallis said:

Like top shelf spirits. You may need to ask explicitly. Have you tried that? I had a Caymus Cabernet in the Crown Grille that was wonderful on my last cruise. 

Caymus Cabernet is my favorite! Not so affordable for me in real life, but on a cruise, with the drink package. totally worth it! Glad to hear it was offered in the Crown Grille. I hope it's available on my cruise on Sapphire Princess in October!

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 7:34 PM, Thrak said:

We take the Plus package but have been disappointed with the wine selection. I've looked at actual wine lists and there are much better wines that "fit" the Plus package but they are never offered. If they know I have the Plus package when I ask for a wine list they give me the generic list with entries such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz, etc. No brand names or years. It's stupid and really peeves me since, as I said above, I know there are better wines that fit within the price range of Plus. I'm not a wine connoisseur by any means but just giving a generic variety of wine is insulting.

Agree with you! We generally cruise with Celebrity, but will be on our 1st Princess sailing on Enchanted this summer & Sun in January. I did find the wine list for 2024 and as you say they only provide a generic list. Mainly drink wine in the evening, so this is making me think we need to upgrade to the Premier Package. Any further comments from your experience onboard will be much appreciated. We are not wine connoisseurs either , but what Celebrity offers on the Classic is pretty awful. Thinking Princess does the same!! 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

Agree with you! We generally cruise with Celebrity, but will be on our 1st Princess sailing on Enchanted this summer & Sun in January. I did find the wine list for 2024 and as you say they only provide a generic list. Mainly drink wine in the evening, so this is making me think we need to upgrade to the Premier Package. Any further comments from your experience onboard will be much appreciated. We are not wine connoisseurs either , but what Celebrity offers on the Classic is pretty awful. Thinking Princess does the same!! 

You're right about the offerings for Classic pkg on Celebrity and, unfortunately, their Premium pkg has much lower end wines than it used to have. We have a few Princess cruises booked in 24/24 after a hiatus for a few years and I'm hoping that Princess keeps nice wines by the glass that are covered by the Premier pkg or are available for an upcharge. 

8 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

You're right about the offerings for Classic pkg on Celebrity and, unfortunately, their Premium pkg has much lower end wines than it used to have. We have a few Princess cruises booked in 24/24 after a hiatus for a few years and I'm hoping that Princess keeps nice wines by the glass that are covered by the Premier pkg or are available for an upcharge. 

Once again, agree with your comments re the changes to Celebrity’s Premium Package & wines included. I guess what we were accustomed to in the past is pretty much gone across all of the lines. We may upgrade to the Premier as I see it includes 2 specialty restaurants. We are concerned about the crowds in the dining room, particularly on the summer Enchanted. 

I'm of the opinion an extra 20$ a day is worth it to get the Gucci beverage package, but you have to actively make use of it or it's a waste

The bartenders will 100% use the shitty well booze unless you call for something nice so get used to saying "Goose and soda" or "Patron margarita".

My wife and I took a cruise with Celebrity for our honeymoon. At the time (Feb'23) they were still offering their equivalent of Princess premier. On the face of it, it seems that Princess premier offers a better value but the way they go about this seems largely gimmicky (ex "premium desserts"? I like sugar too but who is going to have more than one of these monsters?).

We're going to Alaska on Princess in May so I'll have a better idea then.

53 minutes ago, AllHandsAstern said:

I'm of the opinion an extra 20$ a day is worth it to get the Gucci beverage package, but you have to actively make use of it or it's a waste

The bartenders will 100% use the shitty well booze unless you call for something nice so get used to saying "Goose and soda" or "Patron margarita".

My wife and I took a cruise with Celebrity for our honeymoon. At the time (Feb'23) they were still offering their equivalent of Princess premier. On the face of it, it seems that Princess premier offers a better value but the way they go about this seems largely gimmicky (ex "premium desserts"? I like sugar too but who is going to have more than one of these monsters?).

Since we are talking drinks and calling out brands, I have questions. I have the Premier package. Let's say the menu shows a mojito cost $12.00.  But say I call Zacapa rum which shows on a different drink menu  is $18.00.   So would the mojito cost $18.00 or would it cost $12.00 plus $ 18.00 ?  There are several $18.00 bourbons that I do not drink as shots. I guess I wonder if the price they show is a shot price, or if it is in any mixed cocktail.

41 minutes ago, 2and2 said:

Since we are talking drinks and calling out brands, I have questions. I have the Premier package. Let's say the menu shows a mojito cost $12.00.  But say I call Zacapa rum which shows on a different drink menu  is $18.00.   So would the mojito cost $18.00 or would it cost $12.00 plus $ 18.00 ?  There are several $18.00 bourbons that I do not drink as shots. I guess I wonder if the price they show is a shot price, or if it is in any mixed cocktail.

It'll be under the Premier package. It won't be $18+$12, or $18 or $12 - it'll be covered, under $20 and doesn't show up on your statement anywhere.  

They don't charge mixer cost plus booze cost - if you're getting a mojito, with a rum that's under the Premier cap of $20, it's covered, no questions asked.. 

• Like 1

It depends on what specifically you're ordering, some of it is gonna get a little fuzzy, bear with me, we're gonna get in the weeds a little.

Tldr generally it that is doesn't work like that

Essentially, it breaks down to costs, what's a mixed drinks, what's a cocktail, who's your daddy etc etc 

You referenced a mojito so we'll start there. The bar has already priced out the mojito so have some quantity rum, some lime juice, some sugar, ice, soda, mint leaves, and probably the time it takes for the bartender to make the drink.

When the bar does the pricing, they're assuming the bar tender is gonna use well rum. When you call for zacapa 23 (aside: I hope you don't it's not gonna taste very good) they're gonna fudge the price up based on how much more expensive the rum you've called for is.

Generally, it's not additive like 18 +12 because you're substituting not adding, but it is gonna be more, everyone's costs are different, so shooting from the hip, guessing, it's gonna be 18-22$.

"Mixed drinks" are different from "cocktails" on how low effort aka fast aka cheap they are to make. So if you order a zacapa soda or a zacapa and 7, generally they're gonna charge you for the shot price because it's so easy to make and the inputs are so cheap.

A good rule of thumb is if you're asking for more than 2 ingredients or anything more complicated than thing goes in cup, it's a cocktail 

Hi,

I've been only on 5 cruises in my life so forgive me if I am not that knowledgeable .

We am tossing up Princess Plus vs Princess Premium and are very confused with the contents of these packages - some descriptions mention inclusion of "crew appreciation" payments ( tips)  , some don't and some just say if you use premium access to fine dining , you don't need to pay tips to dining room staff ( depending on what link i am looking at) .

I don't mind paying reasonable money but don't want to feel that i have been ripped off by not being fully aware of the package contents. 

Can any poster give me a definitive answer please ?

3 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

(ex "premium desserts"? I like sugar too but who is going to have more than one of these monsters?)

The only reason I had one of these on my last cruise was because it was part of the package. If I used the unlimited option with Princess Premier, I wouldn't be able to fit into my clothes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2and2 said:

I would say when you are doing something like this, order at the bar, not from a server. It's likely covered. They will charge you the zacapa, not the mojito. 

Question crew appreciation is included in both packages does that include tips when it comes to the crown grill or the other premeir food options? 

So I understand the premier would be the way to go where you book it at that price and you won't have to worry about a bill for anything else other than purchases in the stores.

thanks in advance

6 hours ago, OlderSailor said:

Hi,

I've been only on 5 cruises in my life so forgive me if I am not that knowledgeable .

We am tossing up Princess Plus vs Princess Premium and are very confused with the contents of these packages - some descriptions mention inclusion of "crew appreciation" payments ( tips)  , some don't and some just say if you use premium access to fine dining , you don't need to pay tips to dining room staff ( depending on what link i am looking at) .

I don't mind paying reasonable money but don't want to feel that i have been ripped off by not being fully aware of the package contents. 

Can any poster give me a definitive answer please ?

All your tips, aside from the spa, excursions, things like that are included in either package.  If you purchase a drink over the limit of your package, you will automatically be charged the extra gratuity on your folio and local taxes if you are in a port where that applies.   
At your discretion, you may tip more with cash but, by all means, the gratuities are covered and anything extra is not mandatory and probably not even expected.  

• Like 1

It all depends on your tastes and preferences.  We can make Princess Plus work for us, but not Premier.   Using round numbers, tips and wifi cover about half of the $60 cost.  One or two boat drinks/ beer per day and a couple of fancy coffees probably make it a break even for us. The rest is a bonus.

If you are a foodie and wine buff, then the better wines and specialty restaurants could make it worthwhile for you.

9 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

It depends on what specifically you're ordering, some of it is gonna get a little fuzzy, bear with me, we're gonna get in the weeds a little.

Tldr generally it that is doesn't work like that

Essentially, it breaks down to costs, what's a mixed drinks, what's a cocktail, who's your daddy etc etc 

You referenced a mojito so we'll start there. The bar has already priced out the mojito so have some quantity rum, some lime juice, some sugar, ice, soda, mint leaves, and probably the time it takes for the bartender to make the drink.

When the bar does the pricing, they're assuming the bar tender is gonna use well rum. When you call for zacapa 23 (aside: I hope you don't it's not gonna taste very good) they're gonna fudge the price up based on how much more expensive the rum you've called for is.

Generally, it's not additive like 18 +12 because you're substituting not adding, but it is gonna be more, everyone's costs are different, so shooting from the hip, guessing, it's gonna be 18-22$.

"Mixed drinks" are different from "cocktails" on how low effort aka fast aka cheap they are to make. So if you order a zacapa soda or a zacapa and 7, generally they're gonna charge you for the shot price because it's so easy to make and the inputs are so cheap.

A good rule of thumb is if you're asking for more than 2 ingredients or anything more complicated than thing goes in cup, it's a cocktail 

So your saying it could cost over the limit?  I like old fashioned with bourbon or rye and also a rum old fashioned with a good rum. Since I have the Premier package, I will be calling out what I normally would never be able to try.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, reedprincess said:

It'll be under the Premier package. It won't be $18+$12, or $18 or $12 - it'll be covered, under $20 and doesn't show up on your statement anywhere.  

They don't charge mixer cost plus booze cost - if you're getting a mojito, with a rum that's under the Premier cap of $20, it's covered, no questions asked.. 

Thank you 

on subject I think and since there are alot of wine drinkers here ill ask this question.

My wife loves wine and loves Brunello, with the premier package will she be able to get that anywhere?

13 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

For those who drink Grey Goose premier is not needed since it fits under the plus package

17 hours ago, OlderSailor said:

We am tossing up Princess Plus vs Princess Premium and are very confused with the contents of these packages - some descriptions mention inclusion of "crew appreciation" payments ( tips)  , some don't

Plus and Premium FAREs including crew appreciation as mentioned. There are also Plus and Premium DRINK packages. They are just drinks and cost more than the fare package that includes them so they make no sense and you might as well ignore their existence.

Hope that helps.

On 1/22/2024 at 5:19 PM, 2and2 said:

We only cruise once every three or four years. I work fifty-six hour work weeks, so I do not even want to worry about what something is costing on board. I want top shelf drinks, I want the best food, no buffets, and if I want a keepsake photo I can get one. The 401 k might take a hit, but this blue collar worker rarely gets to live it up like that. I don't want to do the math. Of coarse it favors the bean counters from corporate.

Exactly! 🥳🍹🎉

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I’m the OP and after carefully considering all of the posts we will go for the Premium package. It’s a special occasion cruise so we are going to have everything we want. 

I don’t think you will be disappointed.  We oftentimes upgrade and never regret it!  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I’m the OP and after carefully considering all of the posts we will go for the Premium package. It’s a special occasion cruise so we are going to have everything we want. 

Good move, even if Princess comes out on top.  Now you do not have to walk by the gelato stand and wish you could afford it. A cappuccino every morning. Eighteen dollar glasses of wine with your fillet mignon. Top shelf drinks.  And you don't have to go to the buffet unless you want to. Go live it up.

• Like 1