Alaska Itinerary Adjustment for "7-Day Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)"

Spoiltblonde

It appears that all of the cruises for the "7-Day Inside Passage (with Glacier Bay National Park)" roundtrip from Seattle have had an adjustment for Victoria BC.  Originally, the ships were slated to be in Victoria BC from 7PM to 11:59PM; however, all schedules have been adjusted to 9PM to 11:59PM for 2024 and 2025.  Any thoughts on why this adjustment was made across the board?  

It is a mandatory stop to satisfy PVSA.  That's a bummer that the Captain probably won't let anyone off the ship with such a short window. 

It could be for a variety of reasons:

Tides

Whale Migration (slowing down the ship)

Hard to tell this far out (2025)

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It is a mandatory stop to satisfy PVSA.  That's a bummer that the Captain probably won't let anyone off the ship with such a short window. 

It could be for a variety of reasons:

Tides

Whale Migration (slowing down the ship)

Hard to tell this far out (2025)

Thanks for your thoughts!  It seems really strange since there are around 20 sailings for 2024 from May through September with this change...and again for 2025.  I wouldn't think it would be tides or whale migration for ALL of those dates!  The amount of sailings with this unfavorable change has peaked my curiosity.  

Edited by Spoiltblonde
typo
  • Like 1

It takes 30 minutes to walk downtown and the shops will all be closed at those hours.  Wouldn't even be worth getting off the ship.  Not sure if Princess is still selling excursions, but 2 1/2 hours just isn't enough time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spoiltblonde said:

all schedules have been adjusted to 9PM to 11:59PM for 2024 and 2025.

I wonder, if this mandatory PVSA stop is listed in the cruise personalizer as a regular port stop anymore. It would make no sense.

Edited by EDVM96
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

Seems like a .....why bother to even get off????? 9:00pm I'm in my pajamas!

9:00 to midnight!!! Why bother!

To check the PVSA box.  It's a shame because Victoria is a lovely city.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

To check the PVSA box.  It's a shame because Victoria is a lovely city.

I was so looking forward to it even if it was just a couple of hours......dam!

Edited by lahlah57
Proper structure
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, EDVM96 said:

I wonder, if this mandatory PVSA stop is listed in the cruise personalizer as a regular port stop anymore. It would make no sense.

It still shows Victoria BC on my itinerary with the duration from 9PM-11:59PM...as well as the map with a pinpoint noting Victoria BC as a destination.  

I was really looking forward to visiting for a few hours when the arrival was at 7PM but now it seems too late at night with potential safety issues since we were planning to explore on foot.  Definitely disappointed to see this change!  

• Thanks 1

Just now, Spoiltblonde said:

I was really looking forward to visiting for a few hours when the arrival was at 7PM but now it seems too late at night with potential safety issues since we were planning to explore on foot.  Definitely disappointed to see this change!  

Yes, it's a joke stop now for passengers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

Yes, it's a joke stop now for passengers.

PITA for the bridge crew as well. The docking maneuver there is tricky. Leaving is a challenge too. We hit the dock there once during departure. Grand Princess I believe.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spoiltblonde said:

It still shows Victoria BC on my itinerary with the duration from 9PM-11:59PM...as well as the map with a pinpoint noting Victoria BC as a destination.  

It's daylight until around 11:00 pm. 

5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

It's daylight until around 11:00 pm. 

And still a joke when you realize where the ships docks in Victoria. Serious.

Edited by EDVM96

3 minutes ago, Spoiltblonde said:

Google says that sunset is around 9:06PM in mid-July.  But I hope you are correct!  Either way, not a lot of time to do much!

Sunset and twilight are different, I wouldn't expect darkness to fall at least for another hour or so. 

Maybe 10:00 pm then. 

• Like 1

What a shame.  Our 2018 cruise out of Seattle had the 7 to 11 or midnight port stop and that was a perfect time to visit Buchart Gardens because at sunset the illuminations come on. 

They are a bit of ride from Victoria and you couldn't do that excursion in the much shorter port visit.

Edited by capriccio

We had the same timing in Victoria in August. We did not get off, but our balcony was port side  and people were definitely getting off. No clue where they were going at 9pm. I think we left shortly after midnight. 

We didn’t see much point in going thru customs paperwork and getting off the ship just for a few hours. We decided leisurely final packing, dinner and relaxing aboard was more our cup of tea. No regrets.

In all of our trips that have stopped in Victoria, we have only gotten off once, and that was because the kids (teen/adult at the time) were with us and wanted to get off.  Usually we sit in an empty hot tub, leisurely get ready for dinner, either eat in a nearly empty dining room or book specialty easily, finish packing, and just have a relaxing evening.  

Then again, we live in the Seattle area and have been to Victoria, so if we want to do anything in Victoria, we'll go for a weekend and enjoy it fully.