2 one ways vs. 14 day cruise-pros/cons?

elaine5

For Alaska cruise: we can book 2 one ways (N/S) or a 14 day cruise. Any major pros/cons in just booking 14 days? On 14, we'd keep same cabin. How about embarking, anything else to consider? As the N one way would stop in Whittier, it's not likely we'd want the flex to canx one leg later, like in Ft Lauderdale.

If you're shooting for the whole 14 days, I personally would go for the 14 day booking, assuming that you like the cabin.  I don't think it really makes much difference either way as far as "cruise credits" go in your Captains Circle account. (I could be wrong...)

These are crossing my mind.

What about the other perks, like the TWO visits to casual dining included with Plus?

And, other perks, like Elite or Suite?   Are all of these per-voyage?  Would booking each leg as a separate sailing make a difference there.

• Like 1

Two booking numbers normally provide you with:

*More flexibility should prices change.

*Additional benefits for the plus/premier fares. As of now they are by booking number.

*Probably more cabin selections. There usually are more cabin selections for the 7 day bookings.

*There may be additional OBC for separate bookings. You have to check it out.

* Over the years I have been booking these types of cruises as separate booking numbers.

*Either way your on board accounts will carry over. Any amounts owning will be charged to your credit card on disembarkation.

*No matter how you decide you really need to do the math.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

For Alaska cruise: we can book 2 one ways (N/S) or a 14 day cruise. Any major pros/cons in just booking 14 days? On 14, we'd keep same cabin. How about embarking, anything else to consider? As the N one way would stop in Whittier, it's not likely we'd want the flex to canx one leg later, like in Ft Lauderdale.

If shopping soon enough, you can also get the same cabin when booking 2 x 7-nights.

With separate bookings, you can book one-way air using EZ-Air and a lot easier to jump on price drops that might only affect one direction.

Same with PCL price changes.

Often not much price difference (sometimes I have seen none).  Might get more OBC if booking with an online discount TA.

I always book separately - unless for some reason there is a real big price difference.  I'd rather have them separate for several reasons and don't worry if I "lose" $50 in the process.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

We did the same thing and booked as a 14 day.  The price was a little less at the time and we earn $50 more in shareholder OBC.  We don’t buy a package so the number of free specialty dining doesn’t matter. We will still get our 2 Elite mini bar setups.  Also get 2 cruise credits.

You will see less cabin availability when looking at the 14 day cruise even though the same cabin may be available on both individual legs but doesn’t show on the 14 day.

• Like 1

Unless there is some special pricing for the 14 night sailing, I also prefer the B2B as two separate bookings, especially if you can stay in the same cabin.  As others have said, you have more flexibility with pricing and the perks you would like.  I find I’m kind of done with eating and drinking much towards the end of a 14 night cruise, so, I’d pick the premier package for the first half and only the plus for the second half.  That’s not doable if you book it all as one cruise.  

I think the only thing you will miss out on is $50 if you hold CCL stock.  For 2 seven night cruises, you will receive $200 in OBC and for 14 nights or more, you would receive $250.  
Again, it is all about the math, though.  Even moving rooms isn’t that difficult when all is said and done.  

• Like 1

Seems like I'm in the minority, but I would prefer a 14 day over 2 7 day B2B.  I find the last day and the first day of any cruise a bit more "chaotic" on board, with the feeling like they are ready to get rid of me, or up-selling me on day 1 so I would rather avoid those "hassles" (minor as they may be!). 

27 minutes ago, elaine5 said:

would I still get the "in transit" card, or have to disembark with all my luggage and then do the embarkations again with 2 one ways?

If you are sailing RT Vancouver either as a single booking or  two bookings there is no immigration/customs in Whitter. You will clear U.S. immigration upon boarding in Vancouver. Your medallion will be good for the entire time on board. If you are in the same cabin your cabin will be serviced just like any other port day. No packing, no forced disembarkation. If you have to change cabins the process is easy. You will receive instructions and the cabin steward will co-ordinate the move. There are lots of threads on cabin moves. Some passengers will be disembarking in Whitter which can cause some congestion. Not certain if you are provided an intransit card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Josie201 said:

Seems like I'm in the minority, but I would prefer a 14 day over 2 7 day B2B.  I find the last day and the first day of any cruise a bit more "chaotic" on board, with the feeling like they are ready to get rid of me, or up-selling me on day 1 so I would rather avoid those "hassles" (minor as they may be!). 

Yes, turn around days are indeed more chaotic. But I ask, why do you believe a single 14 day booking would be less chaotic than two 7 day bookings? What hassles disappear with a 14 day booking? Really none.

Refer to my previous post regarding Whitter turn arounds. If you are thinking about turn around days at other US ports, those booking with a single booking number and those with separate booking numbers are required to proceed through the same immigration procedures. How booked makes absolutely no difference.  

• Like 2

7 night you can have Plus on the first leg and stock many beers/shot/canned sodas/water bottles for the second leg, just choosing standard. You can also purchase liquor on the last night of your voyage where they let you carry it back to your stateroom and enjoy on your second leg. 

We've found the aforementioned is much more valuable than the additional $50 of Shareholder OBC we'd receive with a 14 day. 

Previously mentioned separate refares if NB or SB are selling at a different pace.

You can have the same cabin on a B2B (we've done this multiple times). 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replies. I thought about Princess Plus one way...if we change cabins, can we just put water/beer/bottle of PP discounted wine in our luggage?

I think we'll do 2 7 nights. We'll lose $50 Shareholder OBC and pay $100 more total. But we'll have more flex for refaring and also jumping ship to Coral a few days earlier if we decide to stay in AK for 3 days, which we debated.We'll have to change rooms, but had much better choices for cabins. No big deal to swap cabins. We plan to go on the 26 Glaciers cruise or Scenic train to Portage for the day, so off the ship either way. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Josie201 said:

What you mention is irrelevant as to how a guest is booked... presuming you have booked into the same cabin on both legs.

1 minute ago, Travlin grrl said:

Also if you are trying to get to Elite it will count as 2 cruises instead of 1, if you are doing the 2 -7 days B2B. 

Not true.  Cruise credits are the same no matter how booked.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You sure about that?  Let's say the passenger is starting with 13 cruises and 130 cruise days under their belt.  If they book two separate cruises they'll end up with 15 cruises and 144 cruise days; enough to move to Elite without having 150 total cruise days.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You sure about that?  Let's say the passenger is starting with 13 cruises and 130 cruise days under their belt.  If they book two separate cruises they'll end up with 15 cruises and 144 cruise days; enough to move to Elite without having 150 total cruise days.

19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

To reach Elite status. It is after completing 15 cruises or sailing 150 cruise days. Whichever comes first. A 14 day counts as 1 cruise and 14 days. But 2 -  7 days count as 2 cruises and 14 days. That's why some people do short cruises like 5 days or less to get to the Elite status before a big cruise. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

We sailed a Transpacific. 

Bookings were available in many segments.

Vancouver to LA,

Vancouver to Honolulu,

Vancouver to Auckland,

Vancouver to Sydney,

LA to Auckland,

LA to Sydney,

Honolulu to Auckland,

Honolulu to Sydney,

Auckland to Sydney  

We were on the LA to Sydney, and only received one cruise credit each, and one elite minibar. There was a LA to Auckland segment and a Auckland to Sydney segment, if we booked separate segments, we would receive a cruise credit for each segment. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Cruise credits are credited based on the number of segments a particular cruise is.  For example most of the long European itineraries are built up by selling B2B (or more) cruises as a single cruise.  In the example, below, the cruiser would get 2 cruise credits, even though they only booked a single cruise because the cruise is made up of 2 cruise segments.

It would make a difference if the cruiser had 14 cruises and needed one more cruise to be Elite using the number of cruises method.  If booked as a single cruise, the person would get 2 credits, but by booking as 2 separate cruises, the cruiser would reach Elite and be entitled to Elite benefits on the 2nd segment.  If booking as a single cruise, the person would not be entitled to Elite benefits on the 2nd leg because the cruises are only credited after completion of the entire itinerary booked.  Yes, the cruiser could plead a case to the Captain's Circle Host, but YMMV.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 120906.png

Edited by SCX22
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

What you mention is irrelevant as to how a guest is booked... presuming you have booked into the same cabin on both legs.

You are correct.  If the cruise is truly just a 7 day you are doing b2b no difference. 

If you are a veteran, the military OBC is also $50 more for one 14 day.

If you want the same cabin on two 7 days, you need to request no upgrade. If you are upgraded, it may be for one segment only. If you book one 14 day cruise, then any upgrade will be to the same cabin for the entire 14 days.

In my opinion, the biggest advantage of the two 7 day cruises is the EZAir flexibility. You book two one way flights instead of a round trip, and you can change one flight without affecting the other. With a single booking, you may find a better or less expensive flight in one direction but your flight in the other direction may be unavailable or more expensive.

• Like 1