Edge Sunset veranda

Ksqrd

Hello all,

We are planning a trip to New Zealand on the Celebrity Edge and just have a few questions.  We are looking at aft facing cabins, specifically cabins 9312, 10271 or 11273.

Has anyone stayed in these cabins?  If you are on a lower deck, can the people in cabins above you look down at you?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

We just came off the Ascent in 12242. I would not stay under the ocean view again. Any of the rooms you are choosing from are great. You cannot see down onto any balcony but you can see people at the railing from above and we could see the people at the rail when they were standing on the OV. Remember it is a long walk to the elevators. We had btb cruises and walked 7,000 more steps a day on the first cruise versus the second cruise where our room was near the elevator. So beware. The room itself was ok and balcony was not as big as a S class ship, but it is a balcony instead of an infinity room. 

• Like 1

Edge Transatlantic October 24, 2022, Cabin 11273:

Compared to Millenium and Solstice class fantails, this stateroom seemed longer and narrower. But it was lovely. Hubby always likes that full-sized couch. As I recall, the extended balcony came with loungers, as well as adequate overhang for shade and privacy. 

Now for the not so good: You need to read the threads about reported noise on this class ship, particularly in the aft facing cabins. Most unfortunately, we were astonished at the noise level of the banging and thumping that was almost constant. Many nights, we were continuously awaked by the noises. And this was a smooth crossing, so it can't be blamed on the seas.

In over 50 sailings (16 on Celebrity), we had never experienced this awful level of noise. We actually thought something had to be wrong, and maintenance was called to do an inspection. They messed around for a bit but resolved nothing. We did notice that someone had placed several wooden shims in the wall/ceiling. For almost the entire cruise, the regular banging sounded like someone was whacking hammers in the ceiling. I'm not exaggerating ... it was dreadful. 

We're fantail junkies and will always book those cabins. But on an Edge class ship? For us, never again. Some will say that a ship at sea will just naturally creak and groan. Absolutely true, but there was nothing "normal" about what we had to endure.

Although, I should add that our friends were in 10273 on the same cruise. We did a noise comparison and found that the banging heard in their cabin was there but was much less pronounced.

Good luck with your selection. 

A further thought for you:

These aft balconies are much coveted (noise or not), and they are rarely available. If you are committed to the sailing date with the cabins you mentioned, and you are making a deposit, here's what I'd suggest: Reserve 10271 or 93120. Those cabins will be quickly snapped up, and you can always change your mind.

Do a google search on "Edge class sunset balconies." Click onto the "cruisedeckplans.com" link that will display (among others). You'll be able to look at photos and videos of your 10271 and 93120. Normally, you should have a membership with Cruise Deck Plans to access those photos. 

Personally, based on the rather limited problems my friends reported in the next-door cabin, perhaps go for 10271? Bear in mind though, I'm just one person with one opinion!

I sailed in 9312 on Edge…quickly became my favorite.  No noise from above or below.  I love the long walk to the aft of the ship (more steps equals more gelato).  The aft views cannot be beat.

Enjoy 😎

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

We just came off the Ascent in 12242. I would not stay under the ocean view again. Any of the rooms you are choosing from are great. You cannot see down onto any balcony but you can see people at the railing from above and we could see the people at the rail when they were standing on the OV. Remember it is a long walk to the elevators. We had btb cruises and walked 7,000 more steps a day on the first cruise versus the second cruise where our room was near the elevator. So beware. The room itself was ok and balcony was not as big as a S class ship, but it is a balcony instead of an infinity room. 

We are in 12260, Sunset Sky Suite on the Edge next month.  We "won" a move up offer from an Aqua class.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will hear chairs move from 6 to 615am each day. one morning it was 5 to 515am. That was the only issue with noise. We heard music around 4- 5 but that was great. All the entertainment was great. It was usually while we got ready for dinner. You will love the ship, food and crew. Enjoy.

Was in SV 8336 on the Beyond. It was great.  There was some noise from the mooring lines when first in port. Other than that, nothing. We actually have the same exact cabin booked for our Panama Canal cruise on Beyond this December. 

4 hours ago, Pennstatedj said:

I forgot to mention that there is no gelato on the Ascent. Missed my free scoop. 

They had gelato last week.  It is at Scoops with the ice cream. 

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were in a Sunset Sky Suite (9305) last fall on a B2B2B.  Very quiet room.  Friends were in a SV on deck 7 (there was only one available for all three cruises) and they had serious noise issues from Eden.

What ship was this?

The original question was about the Edge.  While some folks went "off topic" I remained on topic.  We boarded the Edge on October 30, 2023 in Civitaveechia and left on December 9th in Sydney.  Our friends (on deck 7) were on the same B2B2B on the Edge.  This was the cruise series which went through the Suez Canal.

Sailing in 3 weeks in #7315 (EDGE).

From the above, it seems like noise will be ever present...anyone care to reassure me that I selected the right cabin almost 18 mths ago? 🤔

5 hours ago, lara h said:

From the above, it seems like noise will be ever present...anyone care to reassure me that I selected the right cabin almost 18 mths ago? 🤔

We’ll be in 7310 on the 13th March sailing. We’re expecting to hear some noise from Eden but hoping we’ll be ok as we’re not early to bed. 

We spent a seven night Caribbean cruise and a fourteen B2B Med cruise on the Edge, cabin 10271 in March and August/September 2022.  There was NO noise, despite a few windy days in the Med.  The only thing I didn't like was the bed by the verandah, I prefer the couch and open space by the verandah.  Personal preference.  

9 hours ago, lara h said:

Were there other SV’s available 18 months ago ?

Generally on the Edge, I would stay away from decks 12 and 7 only from the standpoint they are above or below public spaces 

As for whether you’ll get noise, not a clue other than there’s bound to be an older crowd and older people go to bed early

Edited by Cruise till you drop

6 hours ago, lara h said:

I wonder what is happening in Eden late at night to cause a noise? Didn't think that's where the nightclub is located.

We were deck 7 SV on Apex, and there was a late-night DJ in Eden. The bass was incredibly annoying for hours (10 p.m.-1 a.m.). Fortunately, Guest Relations moved us to a higher deck (9 or 10, can't remember).

We were in room 12266 on Edge.  As others have said, chairs moving in Oceanview, was a big factor early in the morning.  Some soot from the engine exhaust on the balcony railing and furniture also..The long walk aft was good to counteract our overindulgence of food and alcohol.  Really liked the room otherwise...Just would choose a lower deck

I agree that if you want an aft cabin that you should book it asap.  We booked our November NZ Edge cruise last May and literally had 2 SV cabins to choose from.  There hasn’t been an available SV cabin since June last year for our cruise.  

We were in a deck 10 SV cabin on Edge in January 2020 and absolutely loved it!  We like the distance from everything for the exercise, we found the cabin to be VERY quiet (no hallway noises), and not only enjoyed the wake view while underway, but also really loved hanging on our veranda in ports as the ship often backs into ports and people watching was excellent.  😊