Edge-class balcony.

Hoya

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

People will be in a IV,  but talk about how they are on the balcony 😁  

100% agree with this. You're not on a balcony, you're sitting at the end of your room next to an open or closed window. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

100% agree with this. You're not on a balcony, you're sitting at the end of your room next to an open or closed window. 

In San Diego we call them a lanai

On 3/12/2024 at 2:24 AM, the penguins said:

no other line has followed X down the IV route including Viking ... but chooses not to have any in it's ocean fleet.

Are you familiar with the "Nordic Balcony" on Viking Octantis & Polaris (true, actually their "Expedition" fleet---but they mos def sail the oceans)?

8 hours ago, jwlane said:

Are you familiar with the "Nordic Balcony" on Viking Octantis & Polaris (true, actually their "Expedition" fleet---but they mos def sail the oceans)?

I wasn't but we were discussing/ comparing "cruise" ships not " expedition" vessels. I have looked at the Octantis and Viking are very clear in their descriptions and that only 6 cabins out of a total of under 200 have walkout balconies

However it remains true that Viking chose not to have any of this type of cabin on its ocean going cruise fleet.

On 3/12/2024 at 8:06 PM, Liao said:

In San Diego we call them a lanai

Our lanai in Florida is a screened patio with roof, ceiling fan..access to the backyard... & no windows, just sun shades . Room for a lounger,  2 chairs,  small coffee  tbl,  and a  small round dining table with 2 chairs.. Lots of plants! Access is a triple slider from inside...no bifolds.

Nothing much  like the tiny Inf Balc...

We see the IV as a " wintergarden" room.. with interior style floor, walls on 2 sides and a large operable half height window.. We like it as it adds more area to the long narrow cabin..and  good light..It is less windy than  being out on a a true balc.. We face the chairs and table inward.

The name chosen by X for this cabin style was  an unfortunate misnomer. They should rename it to avoid confusion.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:20 PM, NMTraveller said:

One would have thought for a 900 million dollar ship,  that they would have put more than a few balconies in .  🤣

That is the mystery in that if you prefer a regular balcony on an E class ship, unless you’re in Retreat class, you’ll likely not get a SV balcony unless you book very very early.  So all you’re left with is an IV.

Saying that, we’ve never done one yet but we’ll try one out in Jan 2025 on the Beyond (not because we planned to try one but because all the SV’s were sold out)

So after 3 cruises on an E class ship, first in an IV on Apex, then on Apex in a SS (loved it but it was a TA so barely used our balcony), and most recently on the Ascent back in an IV.   

My husband was sick in bed for 2 days so not having a real balcony was awful.   

Closing the partition to have some separation for us was ridiculous and it felt like I was sitting in a cubby.  Didn't help that the "veranda" furniture was uncomfortable.  So while I love the E ships, am done with the IV concept and suites are way too $$$ now. 

Interestingly enough, we docked next to a RCI ship which also had IV's and I noticed that their chairs looked way more comfy and they had normal height side tables (not dinky tiny low ones).  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

That is the mystery in that if you prefer a regular balcony on an E class ship, unless you’re in Retreat class, you’ll likely not get a SV balcony unless you book very very early.  So all you’re left with is an IV.

no there are also the “hull” or “cove” balconies, which are real verandahs

1B2964DF-3149-46EA-9F90-5CCE9E3F7417.jpeg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mimiya11 said:

Interestingly enough, we docked next to a RCI ship which also had IV's and I noticed that their chairs looked way more comfy and they had normal height side tables (not dinky tiny low ones).  

That had to be the Icon of the Seas, the world's largest cruiseship. The other change from Celebrity is instead of folding room dividers they chose to use regular curtains to section off the space. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Since we have added a residential comparison to the mix…. If IVs are the greatest thing every hotel and condo with ocean views would be building them.  The tiny amount of such “sun rooms” in beachfront condos in Ft Lauderdale are in the oldest buildings.  Perhaps these modifications in condos was an intent to increase the air conditioned square footage.  And, keeping oceanfront walls of windows clean is a work intensive exercise.  Opening “windows” in a hot humid environment invites mildew.  Add no screens and you will be dealing with bugs and birds in port.  A better name for these cabins would be Panoramic Oceanviews, but that would theoretically lower the price point.  Everyone has their opinions on the IVs. I wish Celebrity would provide more choice.

Edited by 81Zoomie
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

Since we have added a residential comparison to the mix…

I find it so odd... the never-ending mental gymnastics that people go through trying to find ways to make IVs sound like more than they are... lanai, juliet balcony, sunroom, etc. It's just a cabin with a really nice window. I'm not sure why that can't be enough.

6 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

I wish Celebrity would provide more choice.

Agreed. The cabin itself isn't a problem. It's the lack of choice.

• Like 2

Pushing a decade and 5 ships later............

Xcel does have less IV's and more traditional balconies but they are mostly suites. 

There are overall 21 less IV cabins than Beyond/Ascent 

30 more suites than Beyond/Ascent 

52 more suites than Edge/Apex 

Overall cabin count is 4 less that Beyond/Ascent.

1 hour ago, Mimiya11 said:

The chairs in the IV cabins on Icon are nearly identical to the chairs on Beyond and Ascent. Icon does have a slightly higher table, although it's far from proper dining height, which would make it uncomfortable to use as a footrest (gross) but many people use it that way. 

6 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Xcel does have less IV's and more traditional balconies but they are mostly suites. 

Will Xcel have any balconies in CC or AQ?

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Will Xcel have any balconies in CC or AQ?

Nope. All are IV. There are four new verandas which are not CC, AQ or Suite that have a traditional balcony classed as prime veranda V1. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Nope. All are IV. There are four new verandas which are not CC, AQ or Suite that have a traditional balcony classed as prime veranda V1. 

What that says to me is there's a structural limitation in the design of the E-Class ships that limits the amount of traditional balcony cabins vs the IV cabins. 

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

What that says to me is there's a structural limitation in the design of the E-Class ships that limits the amount of traditional balcony cabins vs the IV cabins. 

I can't speak to that however there are 30 more suites (with traditional balconies) on Xcel  compared to Beyond and Ascent. 

On 2/3/2024 at 3:28 AM, LeeW said:

We didn't want the infinite balcony so went with 8111 on Beyond.  Far forward and very quiet.  GPS doesn't always connect, with bridge behind and above, but plenty of glass.

DSCN4672.JPG

DSCN4673.JPG

DSCN4670.JPG

Is it as cramped as it looks?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Is it as cramped as it looks?

Small compared to traditional balconies. But not cramped, IMO. 

Edited by doghog
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

I find it so odd... the never-ending mental gymnastics that people go through trying to find ways to make IVs sound like more than they are... lanai, juliet balcony, sunroom, etc. It's just a cabin with a really nice window. I'm not sure why that can't be enough.

The cheerleaders gotta cheer.  Even when it does not make sense...

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I find it so odd... the never-ending mental gymnastics that people go through trying to find ways to make IVs sound like more than they are... lanai, juliet balcony, sunroom, etc.

Well, a "Sunset Veranda" ceases to be that when the ship is heading in a westerly direction. Then, it's merely a "Wake Veranda" (at best). So maybe they should only call them "Sunset Verandas" (and charge for that) on itineraries that are heading in an easterly direction?

Edited by tscoffey
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The cheerleaders gotta cheer.  Even when it does not make sense...

Another issue for X could well be the marketing. When S class was introduced X proudly announced that 85% of the cabins had balconies. Imagine if they now accepted that IV's weren't balconies they would have to admit that on their new class of ship only around 10% of cabins had balconies - what a PR disaster that would have been.

• Like 1