Edge-class balcony.

Hoya

5 minutes ago, Hoya said:

Is the feeling to be on balcony or more like to be in a room with a big window?

Hoya

Hi Hoya.  It depends on who you ask here about the IV vs. a real balcony.  There are literally thousands of posts on this topic.  Some cruisers are very negative because they greatly enjoy more of a traditional balcony.  Others like the IV for a number of reasons.  If you love a real balcony then you might not like the IV.  Maybe think of the IV as an extension of your cabin with an enclosed sun porch that has a large window that opens.  You can do a search here on these boards on this topic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hoya said:

Hoya

I like the IV (yes, it's absolutely like sitting in your cabin with the window down) but prefer the classic balcony/verandah.  Thing is, Edge class ships are much different than other ships in the fleet and if you're looking at a 'global experience' you may want one class over another.

34 minutes ago, Hoya said:

Hoya

Yes, you are absolutely correct, the IV cabin feels like a room with a big window, like a patio slider, but instead of opening it from side to side, it opens from top down. It's a great cabin as long as you realize what it is, and what it isn't. In a traditional balcony cabin, you step outside of you cabin to a separate space that's exposed to the elements. In an IV cabin you can't do that, since there isn't a separate room, you're always in the same room. The frosted bifold doors are more like room divider screens to create a pretend separate balcony space. But it's all pretend, you are never in a separate space exposed to the elements. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 4

For us, definitely a room with a BIG window!  Great view from it, and both the ship and room were beautiful, but still prefer a traditional balcony.  Not that we wouldn't book an IV again, but not our first choice.

46 minutes ago, Hoya said:

Hoya

It is not a balcony it is a room with a large window.  I prefer a "real" balcony where I can sit outside and watch the ocean go by.  

• Like 1

Just open a large window at home and see if that is what you want.  These are electric open/close and large but just a window.  Not a balcony.

Then go out onto your balcony.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, spammie said:

It is not a balcony it is a room with a large window.  I prefer a "real" balcony where I can sit outside and watch the ocean go by.  

also the chairs are not loungers just low backed seats and the table is very small. If you like to stretch out on a balcony you will be very disappointed with an IV. I have yet to see a single picture of a couple relaxing on their "IV" balcony.

If you like the idea of a balcony but in fact rarely use it (we spend a minimum of 3 hours on ours every sea day ) then an IV could be perfect. 

The rooms definitely don't feel like a real balcony, but the Beyond is a gorgeous ship, so we're going on her again.

Someone pointed out that if your SO and you have different wake up schedules then it doesn't work that great. But if you generally wake together, it's fine. To explain, I wake up much earlier than hubby and usually run down to Cafe al Bacio for a macchiato and a pastry that I enjoy on our balcony which watching the sun rise. Can't really do that on an IV as opening the window requires opening the blinds and turning off the A/C, which means waking hubby. Not what I want to do.

The public areas are beautiful, though, so I just take my coffee to Eden or the Sunset Bar area. There are so many beautiful spaces I never missed a real balcony. But you have to decide what's right for you.

• Like 3

We were in a DPV on the Apex (first time on an E class ship) and doing the DPV on the Edge. Same stateroom number and location as the Apex. We checked out an IV while on the Apex and we were glad we were in a DPV. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doghog said:

We were in a DPV on the Apex (first time on an E class ship) and doing the DPV on the Edge. Same stateroom number and location as the Apex. We checked out an IV while on the Apex and we were glad we were in a DPV. 

That's a great alternative to an IV cabin on an E-Class ship since the veranda is a separate, exposed-to-the-elements space, albeit quite narrow. Another more universal name for the cabin would be a hull balcony cabin, since the balcony is located within the hull of the ship. It is more enclosed than other types of balcony cabins but it's an actual separate space apart from your cabin. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That's a great alternative to an IV cabin on an E-Class ship since the veranda is a separate, exposed to the elements, space albeit quite narrow. Another more universal name for the cabin would be a hull balcony cabin, since the balcony is located within the hull of the ship. It is more enclosed than other types of balcony cabins but it's an actual separate space apart from your cabin. 

Well aware of that. We prefer the more traditional balcony but we aren't interested in an IV and IVs are more expensive than the DPVs. So when we cruise E class we'll always select DPVs. We call them tuna fish can balconies. RCs  Adventure Of the Seas and the Explorer Of the Seas has the same configuration of balconies. 

Edited by doghog

4 hours ago, doghog said:

I have just booked 2 cruises in a DPV for next year. I like traditional balconies and I spend a lot of time on them.

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

One would have thought for a 900 million dollar ship,  that they would have put more than a few balconies in .  🤣

As I have said in other threads on this subject the E-Class must have some structural limitations on the type of cabin mix since all E-Class ships including the Xcel which is being built now basically has the same amount of IV cabins which makes up the majority of cabin types. Other ships that use this cabin design such as MSC World Europa and the new Icon of the Seas have IV cabins as only a minority of cabin type and not majority, so that's why I feel it's a structural limitation. 

We didn't want the infinite balcony so went with 8111 on Beyond.  Far forward and very quiet.  GPS doesn't always connect, with bridge behind and above, but plenty of glass.

DSCN4672.JPG

DSCN4673.JPG

DSCN4670.JPG

• Like 1