Greatest number of pairs of shoes taken on a cruise.

16 hours ago, MacMadame said:

Watch some YouTube videos of people on the Ultimate World Cruise. I saw one that had an entire over-the-door organizer full of shoes. Including about 5 pairs of white tennis shoes. 😄 

5 pair of similar shoes?  Nah, no point in that.  

My theory is, don't take duplicates in the same category -- one pair of tennis shoes, one pair of sandals, for example. 

13 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's not always a "break" -- shoes can also get soaking wet (especially sneakers); so wet that you really can't get them dry in one night. 

Yes, exactly the example I gave above.  We were caught in an absolute downpour in Cozumel, and my sandals stayed soaked for about a day ... but I had my Vans for daytime wear.  

13 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Old running trick is stuffing crumpled newspaper in your shoes. Helps them dry out extra fast. I’m actually grabbing a local paper on my way to the shop on my next cruise since I expect to need it.

Interesting, but would only work if you're bringing a newspaper on board.  I can't think of anything you could get onboard that'd work.  

In college I was so poor that I sometimes wore holes in the bottom of my shoes and cut cardboard to make them last a little longer, but that's a different story.  

I usually wear one, pack one.  Both are usually multi-functional for day and night.   I did take one extra pair of waterproof trail runners to Europe (and sent them home 1/2 way through the trip) and one pair of waterproof hiking shoes to Alaska.    I've not been thrown out of a restaurant yet 😉

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Interesting, but would only work if you're bringing a newspaper on board.  I can't think of anything you could get onboard that'd work.  

The Patters? 🤣

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

5 pair of similar shoes?  Nah, no point in that.  

I don't even own that many pairs of shoes that are that similar. I do have a ton of trainers but I run so when my runners get too run down to run, they still have enough life to be day wear. But every single one is in a different color and sometimes shape! (And I don't think I'd ever bring more than one pair due to the weight and space they take up.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MacMadame said:

The Patters? 🤣

I don't even own that many pairs of shoes that are that similar. I do have a ton of trainers but I run so when my runners get too run down to run, they still have enough life to be day wear. But every single one is in a different color and sometimes shape! (And I don't think I'd ever bring more than one pair due to the weight and space they take up.)

That's me and my trail runners/hiking shoes.  I like variety.  But, when I travel, I can be boring with 2 pair of shoes 😉

• Like 3

It depends on the activities.  Last cruise was one pair sneakers for walking and a pair of dressier shoes that also double as city tour walking shoes.  To Alaska I always bring hiking boots/shoes in addition.  If to the beach I bring sandals/walking shoes and water shoes.  If it is a dressier cruise I bring some evening shoes.  So anywhere from two pair to 5 pairs .  I usually only take long cruises so 5 pair is not excessive 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I once took a small suit case that was all shoes. I wore heels every night and I wanted a pair for each dress. And Sandles and flip flops for the day. Plus swim shoes. Plus the sneakers I wore. It was a 7 night.  

This coming August will be more difficult as I can no longer wear high heels because of a plate in my foot. But I still am packing black platform heels, silver&  nude( I found if it is a block heel and has a bit of a platform in the front I can get away with it). Off white wedge sandles, flate white sandles , 2 pr fip flops and water shoes😁. I like variety plus if one pair gives me a blister I can change. If you think that's over kill you should see the clothes😆

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 5:31 AM, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks, ladies.. I was hoping to read that some carry double figures of pairs of shoes….

On my very first cruise I packed 11 pairs of shoes!

These days, depending on length/itinerary, activities I have planned, and wardrobe selections, I pack 5-7 pairs of shoes. I like variety!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Seven pairs.

Three-shades-of-blue boat shoes.
White dress leather sneakers.
Burgundy beefroll pennies.
Black patent leather cap-toe oxfords.
Closed-toe leather huaraches.
Water shoes for rocky beaches. (Don't want to be surprised.)
Nikes for active port excursions. 

Edited by no1talks

We'll be embarking on a world cruise at the end of April. I'll probably be taking 12-13 pairs of shoes. My feet can be a bit fussy about what I put on them so I try to vary things as much as possible so:

- 3 pairs casual sandals, two of which aren't quite broken in yet

- 3 pairs of black evening sandals, two of which are quite new

- 2 pairs of metallic evening sandals, one pair is a bit higher than I usually wear but which I need for a couple of my formal outfits

- 2 pairs of Skechers. One pair are black so can be worn if going ashore in the evenings when I can't wear sandals

- 1 pair of lace-up trainers

- 1 pair of pool-side sandals

- 1 pair of reef shoes 

I have a 7 day in med coming up so 

1 pr day sandals

1 pr evening heels sparkly 

1pr Sketchers slip ons 

Will travel in trainers 

DH will take 

1pr Sketchers slip ons

1pr dress shoes 

1pr flip flops 

Also travel in trainers 

We have 20kg hold luggage each included. 

One pair flip flops for the pool, one pair of dress shoes, one pair of sneakers, one pair casual sandals. So four pairs of shoes! For my dress shoes I make sure I bring black since they will go with almost anything. Most of my shoes are neutrals, my sneakers are black Asics with a little tiny bit of silver detail.

• Like 2

I would say 4, only because I’m not a “shoe person”, and I don’t wear high heels or formal wear. 
On thé cruise in a couple weeks, I’m taking one pair sneakers, one pair casual waterproof slides for beach and mooing around in the room, one pair nice sandals, and one pair comfy but pretty sandals that also look good w wide leg pants .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your answers. Have returned from our 26 night cruise with pre and post cruise stays making 35 nights.  I struggled to cut down on shoes and took eight pairs. However, I tried hard to avoid wearing all of them, as an experiment, and managed to use only five pairs. A lot more than many would take, but a target for me in the future.

Many thanks.

• Like 5

that's an interesting experiment to run on yourself.

so if you can manage on 5 pairs for such a long trip, you know that would be enough for any shorter trips - and not need to take the other 3 'spare pairs'

5 is not excessive - so one on your feet for travelling there, 1 is probably flip flops that take virtually no space or weight - leaves only 3 actual pairs of shoes in a suitcase.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2024 at 12:36 PM, Reina del Mar said:

Thanks for all your answers. Have returned from our 26 night cruise with pre and post cruise stays making 35 nights.  I struggled to cut down on shoes and took eight pairs. However, I tried hard to avoid wearing all of them, as an experiment, and managed to use only five pairs. A lot more than many would take, but a target for me in the future.

Many thanks.

Thanks for following up

• Like 1