Short Montreal layover a problem???

jkmmah

Is the following itinerary feasible going through YUL for two Americans with Global Entry? Never having been through YUL before, I don't know if we will need to do anything additional for our layover that has us going to a US destination. If it's just a matter of getting from one gate to another, we can hustle and hopefully have no problems. If we have additional screening to go through, I don't think an hour is enough. Thank you for your input.

image.png.fe235d7a5cdc7661da613faa9f2b9469.png

35 minutes ago, jkmmah said:

Is the following itinerary feasible going through YUL for two Americans with Global Entry? Never having been through YUL before, I don't know if we will need to do anything additional for our layover that has us going to a US destination. If it's just a matter of getting from one gate to another, we can hustle and hopefully have no problems. If we have additional screening to go through, I don't think an hour is enough. Thank you for your input.

image.png.fe235d7a5cdc7661da613faa9f2b9469.png

I believe you will have to clear US Border Protection. See https://www.admtl.com/en/guide/connecting-flights

• Like 1

If it wasn't possible, AC wouldn't  be allowed to post that connection. YUL's US CUSTOMS preclearence has dedicated lines for Global Entry and NEXUS holders, with kiosks, so in theory, its doable as long as the first flight is on time. But no dawdling allowed!

• Like 1

Further to what Mon Says above  ;o)

As a Montrealer, YUL is our "home" airport. As the others have said, you definitely will have to clear US Customs/Immigration during your layover, and keep in mind your flight to Denver will start boarding 30-45 minutes after you land from Quebec City depending on how the large to outbound aircraft is. Also, the inbound flight from YQB will probably end up in an "internal" gate at YUL, meaning you will have to walk across the airport to the Transborder/US gates, quite a haul.  Yes, YUL is tiny, but it's not THAT tiny.  There are only a few things in your favor:

1) Since you are flying AC on both legs, there is the possibility that AC personnel will be active in the US Customs hall armed with clipboards, expediting and hand-holding in-transit passengers through Customs and security to ensure they make their connections. Not guaranteed though, but we have seen it done many times

2) As you have Global Entry, you MAY be able to use the NEXUS line at the Transborder Customs hall, which will greatly expedite your passage time. You will want to look into that. When we did this very thing a few days ago on our way to LAX, there were probably a hundred people waiting in the "normal" line, while we NEXUS holders walked right up to the facial recognition scanners and were talking to the USCPB agent in under a minute.

3) The only other thing in your favor is whether or not Air Canada actually lets you book the flight itinerary. If it does let you book, then, to my way of thinking, that means their "system" says the 1 hour transit is acceptable

All that being said, a one hour transit like this is very tight. Maybe call Air Canada and ask an agent?

AC says the minimum connection time in Montreal is 55 minutes.  What I would do is take a look for any additional flights they’re operating that day (to your destination).  If they have more than one then I would feel comfortable with 55 minutes.  As the others say, AC wouldn’t be allowed to book you on a flight where you can’t make your connection time.

Here you can take a look at The Terminal Map.

As a Global Entry member you will be able to use the expedited NEXUS/GLOBAL ENTRY lane for pre-clearance to the US.  This enables you to arrive at your destination as if you were on a domestic flight.

Have a wonderful time!

53 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Further to what Mon Says above  ;o)

As a Montrealer, YUL is our "home" airport. As the others have said, you definitely will have to clear US Customs/Immigration during your layover, and keep in mind your flight to Denver will start boarding 30-45 minutes after you land from Quebec City depending on how the large to outbound aircraft is. Also, the inbound flight from YQB will probably end up in an "internal" gate at YUL, meaning you will have to walk across the airport to the Transborder/US gates, quite a haul.  Yes, YUL is tiny, but it's not THAT tiny.  There are only a few things in your favor:

1) Since you are flying AC on both legs, there is the possibility that AC personnel will be active in the US Customs hall armed with clipboards, expediting and hand-holding in-transit passengers through Customs and security to ensure they make their connections. Not guaranteed though, but we have seen it done many times

2) As you have Global Entry, you MAY be able to use the NEXUS line at the Transborder Customs hall, which will greatly expedite your passage time. You will want to look into that. When we did this very thing a few days ago on our way to LAX, there were probably a hundred people waiting in the "normal" line, while we NEXUS holders walked right up to the facial recognition scanners and were talking to the USCPB agent in under a minute.

3) The only other thing in your favor is whether or not Air Canada actually lets you book the flight itinerary. If it does let you book, then, to my way of thinking, that means their "system" says the 1 hour transit is acceptable

All that being said, a one hour transit like this is very tight. Maybe call Air Canada and ask an agent?

Thank you for such a detailed and thorough reply. This is fabulous info!

17 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

AC says the minimum connection time in Montreal is 55 minutes.  What I would do is take a look for any additional flights they’re operating that day (to your destination).  If they have more than one then I would feel comfortable with 55 minutes.  As the others say, AC wouldn’t be allowed to book you on a flight where you can’t make your connection time.

Here you can take a look at The Terminal Map.

As a Global Entry member you will be able to use the expedited NEXUS/GLOBAL ENTRY lane for pre-clearance to the US.  This enables you to arrive at your destination as if you were on a domestic flight.

Have a wonderful time!

This is the shortest layover option they have for my final destination. The next closest is 1.5 hrs. Even though that one leaves an hour earlier in the morning, I may take that instead to pad my layover time just a bit.

I thank you for your reply!

• Like 1

The 55-minute minimum time is based on ideal conditions, so even the slightest of delays could result in a missed connection. Anxiety over being left behind is no way to start a holiday, so I'd grab that earlier flight and have that extra 30-minute buffer.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, eltigre said:

Fall 2023, AC let us first off as the plane was a bit late on the arrival time and yes we got to the connection by hustling it, no our luggage didn't. 

The same thing happened to a member of our roll call a few years ago on a YYC-YYZ-FLL routing. Unfortunately, her suitcase didn't catch up with her in time for sail away, and she had to make do with what she had in her carry-on plus items she purchased onboard. She had flown in the day before the cruise, but I don't remember whether there was no other AC flight arriving early enough on embarkation day, or whether AC "lost" the luggage for a day or more.

I was caught in a similar situation a number of years ago with a YOW-YYZ-CDG routing. I was headed to Paris for meetings of an international body, and my suits were in my checked suitcase that didn't catch up to me at the hotel for a couple of days. Fortunately, I had flown in a few days early - flights were cheaper back then if you stayed over a Saturday night - so no great issue for me.

Edited by Fouremco

42 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The same thing happened to a member of our roll call a few years ago on a YYC-YYZ-FLL routing. Unfortunately, her suitcase didn't catch up with her in time for sail away, and she had to make do with what she had in her carry-on plus items she purchased onboard. She had flown in the day before the cruise, but I don't remember whether there was no other AC flight arriving early enough on embarkation day, or whether AC "lost" the luggage for a day or more.

I was caught in a similar situation a number of years ago with a YOW-YYZ-CDG routing. I was headed to Paris for meetings of an international body, and my suits were in my checked suitcase that didn't catch up to me at the hotel for a couple of days. Fortunately, I had flown in a few days early - flights were cheaper back then if you stayed over a Saturday night - so no great issue for me.

13 hours ago, eltigre said:

Fall 2023, AC let us first off as the plane was a bit late on the arrival time and yes we got to the connection by hustling it, no our luggage didn't. 

I’m much more cautious about connections on the outbound flight than on my return. I have lots more clothes at home, but it is awkward if your luggage takes a few days to catch up to you when away. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gnome12 said:

I’m much more cautious about connections on the outbound flight than on my return. I have lots more clothes at home, but it is awkward if your luggage takes a few days to catch up to you when away. 

So true. I always try to book direct flights, but failing that, book flights with a generous connection time. My flight to CDG had plenty of time built in, but the plane out of Ottawa had a mechanical malfunction and by time they had diagnosed the problem and sent for a replacement plane, I was lucky to even get myself on the onward flight, let alone that checked bag. 

This is why — in all our relocations — we have made sure we are near an international airport.  It also helps to know we are within a few hours flight to family in case of emergency.  Every time I read about the hoops and issues some on the board have, I get stressed along with you!  😂

I like that some of the new airline apps allow you to track your checked bags.  I am happy to let that anxiety go when I’m onboard and I can see my bag is too.  Not sure if I’ll invest in an AirTag or not.  Maybe.

I have had only one experience where my bag didn’t make it to my destination.  That was a pain in the you-know-what.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

This is why — in all our relocations — we have made sure we are near an international airport.  It also helps to know we are within a few hours flight to family in case of emergency.  Every time I read about the hoops and issues some on the board have, I get stressed along with you!  😂

I like that some of the new airline apps allow you to track your checked bags.  I am happy to let that anxiety go when I’m onboard and I can see my bag is too.  Not sure if I’ll invest in an AirTag or not.  Maybe.

I have had only one experience where my bag didn’t make it to my destination.  That was a pain in the you-know-what.

Well worth it, if for no other reason than peace of mind. We had delays and connection issues on our AC flights last week from LAX to YUL through YYZ. Had Tiles in each of our three checked bags. As soon as we landed in YYZ, I fired up my phone and saw that all three bags were also in Toronto with us, and when we landed in Montreal, same story, I instantly saw that the three bags had followed us safe and sound.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I like that some of the new airline apps allow you to track your checked bags.

I've been happy tracking with my AirTags, but if there are airline apps available too, redundancy never hurts. Do you know which airlines offer this service? 

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've been happy tracking with my AirTags, but if there are airline apps available too, redundancy never hurts. Do you know which airlines offer this service? 

United, American, and Delta, and I believe Southwest has just introduced one too.  I fly mainly Delta (and United when I have to).  I googled Air Canada and they’ve just announced one too.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

AirTags are great to have 

when they not in the suitcase , they in my wallet and my car keys 

I miss place my wallet one time , and with the my phone it took directly to the wallet with the AirTag 

A car key FOB is worth a couple hundred dollars , never mine the trouble of getting home to get another key if you lose it 

This is tight and Montreal isn’t always the easiest airport to transfer through. There is usually only one security scanner which can easily cause delays. This may have changed since I now avoid transiting through Montreal since they lost all my luggage. You should be able to go through the transit lane and not general public hopefully at that time of day. 

39 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

This is tight and Montreal isn’t always the easiest airport to transfer through. There is usually only one security scanner which can easily cause delays. This may have changed since I now avoid transiting through Montreal since they lost all my luggage. You should be able to go through the transit lane and not general public hopefully at that time of day. 

Not sure if we're talking about the same Montreal airport?  As at two weeks ago, when we last passed through security, there were numerous scanners in use at the transborder/US area, including one dedicated to NEXUS users, as well as a preferred security line for those with premium credit cards. Yes, there can be long lines at peak times, but not because there is one scanner is use.  If there are crowds waiting to go through security, they open up more stations.

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Not sure if we're talking about the same Montreal airport?  As at two weeks ago, when we last passed through security, there were numerous scanners in use at the transborder/US area, including one dedicated to NEXUS users, as well as a preferred security line for those with premium credit cards. Yes, there can be long lines at peak times, but not because there is one scanner is use.  If there are crowds waiting to go through security, they open up more stations.

So if you’re transiting through you can either go through the “normal” area with people coming in or the transit area if you flew into Montreal from another part of Canada. The transit area isn’t open as many hours but usually saves you from walking as far. In the end the customs area is shared but they have a separate area for security type screening and the lineup is separate for customs as well.

Toronto has the same type of setup but also limited hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll tell you our experience.  We were supposed to fly from YYZ to Boston directly for a repositioning cruise the next day.  Our initial flight was cancelled & were we were advised that our new flight was YYZ-YUL-FLL.

We only had a 1 1/2hr between flights but we sat on the tarmac in Toronto for 20 min before we took off.  Arrived in Montreal & found out we had to go through CDN security again & then go through US customs & a huge line up was already there.  They started calling out flight #’s to get people through CDN security.  We had Nexus so US only took a matter of minutes.  We rushed to the plane & found out that half the plane were still in line, waiting to get through.  Our plane waited about an hour before we took off.  There too many things that can go wrong with just an hour.  This was last fall.

good luck.

12 hours ago, If only said:

I’ll tell you our experience.  We were supposed to fly from YYZ to Boston directly for a repositioning cruise the next day.  Our initial flight was cancelled & were we were advised that our new flight was YYZ-YUL-BOS

We only had a 1 1/2hr between flights but we sat on the tarmac in Toronto for 20 min before we took off.  Arrived in Montreal & found out we had to go through CDN security again & then go through US customs & a huge line up was already there.  They started calling out flight #’s to get people through CDN security.  We had Nexus so US only took a matter of minutes.  We rushed to the plane & found out that half the plane were still in line, waiting to get through.  Our plane waited about an hour before we took off.  There too many things that can go wrong with just an hour.  This was last fall.

good luck.