Electric tea kettle

2 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

image.thumb.png.4e4a86a3786a50ccfd96c853d4c32b0b.png

With the cord easily removed, it looks like an insulated tumbler.....Still not authorized for the ship, but great for land travel

We recently bought one of those. We are anxious to put it to the test next time we have a land trip. Agreed that it would be almost undetectable with the cord removed.

When we tried Princess last fall by the way for two cruises out of Southampton, they provided a kettle on request and even instant coffee packets. We still have some of it, awaiting same land trip.

Lots of cruises that leave from U.K. will be on ships where kettles are provided. Lots of British passengers who can handle a kettle safely!!

On a Regent cruise last year we got a kettle, the coffee machine was just an encumberance to us. It took several requests, but we got the kettle with firm instructions not to tell anyone else we had one!

Here it is, brand new, delivered in the original packaging.

IMG_1689.thumb.jpeg.7292e6d6dc4f49a15955e9929ff4cc8e.jpeg

No "cuppa" is worth putting the rest of the ship at risk of an electrical circuit overload or fire. If the ship says no heating devices, please honor this even if you think you can "hide it".  Work with them once on board, if you insist.

But please do not play games with the other passengers, even if you "only recommended to use this easily hidden  device on land". Hint, hint hint?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

We recently bought one of those. We are anxious to put it to the test next time we have a land trip. Agreed that it would be almost undetectable with the cord removed.

When we tried Princess last fall by the way for two cruises out of Southampton, they provided a kettle on request and even instant coffee packets. We still have some of it, awaiting same land trip.

Yes, Princess was one I knew provided a kettle on UK originating cruises, but if the same ship sails from FL the kettles are a no go - that’s the part I don’t understand. 

6 hours ago, TinaLee said:

Yes, Princess was one I knew provided a kettle on UK originating cruises, but if the same ship sails from FL the kettles are a no go - that’s the part I don’t understand. 

Me too! If a kettle is safe to use when sailing from U.K. to the Caribbean, why isn’t it safe when sailing from Miami to the Caribbean?

P&O, Princess, Cunard etc will happily put a kettle in every cabin and don’t seem to think it’s a fire risk. And as a user of a kettle, at least 5 times a day, it seems pretty safe to me. Maybe I just enjoy living life on the edge! 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I try to abide by ALL the rules because I assume there is a good reason for them, even if I don't know what that reason is. I no longer use a hair dryer but when I did, I remember that the 'on' button had to be pressed continually to keep the power on, so if it was set down, it would go off automatically. Not so with a kettle. Safety before comfort, right?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BobbiSox said:

I try to abide by ALL the rules because I assume there is a good reason for them, even if I don't know what that reason is. I no longer use a hair dryer but when I did, I remember that the 'on' button had to be pressed continually to keep the power on, so if it was set down, it would go off automatically. Not so with a kettle. Safety before comfort, right?

I’m not sure what sort of kettles you have in Florida but our U.K. kettles all shut off automatically when the water boils.

About 30 years ago you could have a kettle boil dry, but this never happens now, unless you have an old stove top (non electric) kettle.

I abide by the rules too, we don’t bring any electricals with us. Apart from our gadgets that need charging. 

• Like 4

HAL could certainly have kettles and coffee pots. The technical issues in the actual equipment have been solved.  They just choose not to offer them.  I would pay a rental fee if need be.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

HAL could certainly have kettles and coffee pots. The technical issues in the actual equipment have been solved.  They just choose not to offer them.  I would pay a rental fee if need be.  

Rent a kettle! I like it Mary229.

I’m in. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kristal Blade said:

I’m not sure what sort of kettles you have in Florida but our U.K. kettles all shut off automatically when the water boils.

About 30 years ago you could have a kettle boil dry, but this never happens now, unless you have an old stove top (non electric) kettle.

I abide by the rules too, we don’t bring any electricals with us. Apart from our gadgets that need charging. 

Well, this Floridian has a kettle that shuts off automatically!! 

• Like 2

The line doesn't trust you to not bring an ancient broken kettle that will burn down the ship so they say you can't bring your own. For most of their American guests, a kettle would only take up space so they only put them in the suites where there's space to spare. And they can't be bothered to keep a closet full of clean and maintained kettles just in case a British person shows up. 

Where British people are actually expected (and/or where the Americans will want to be like fancy British people, which is Cunard's whole deal) they'll find room for kettles. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TinaLee said:

My experience with Princess is that if the ship has sailed in the UK previously, I have asked for a kettle and received one. The last time was on the Emerald Princess Panama Canal. Just asked the steward.

It can be hard to get water hot enough for tea otherwise, Room service hot water is not hot enough for a “good” cup of tea by the time it arrives. On the Volendam in December one of the Lido hot water dispensers was out of order, so they had a large plastic one set up…..nowhere near hot enough. The other hot water dispenser was often empty. 

2 hours ago, Menocchio said:

The line doesn't trust you to not bring an ancient broken kettle that will burn down the ship so they say you can't bring your own. For most of their American guests, a kettle would only take up space so they only put them in the suites where there's space to spare. And they can't be bothered to keep a closet full of clean and maintained kettles just in case a British person shows up. 

Where British people are actually expected (and/or where the Americans will want to be like fancy British people, which is Cunard's whole deal) they'll find room for kettles. 

Ooh, I love it Menocchio! I am officially fancy!

Thank you, this has made my weekend.

• Like 2

Last April onEnchanted Princess there was a kettle in our inside cabin. YesAussies like their morning cuppa too.  Have also found princess provides kettles on most Asian cruises especially those with Japan on their itinerary.

Kettles are too dangerous on most cruises but not on some.  Go figure.

As a Floridian with kettles that shut off automatically,😉, I want to note as an aside, that on Cunard, we always get kettles in our cabin, and the water seems hotter!! I’m not sure if it’s because of the higher voltage, or what, because water boils at the same temperature everywhere….or does it🧐?

Anyway, we were once able to get a kettle in our room from our butler on Celebrity. Just once… we’ve never asked Holland America as I’ve gotten accustomed to bringing a large insulated Tumbler, putting my own teabags in it and getting hot water from the Lido deck. No, it’s not as hot as coming directly from a kettle, but it does seem to work, my tea never tastes weak.   

All this from an American, who probably doesn’t know what good tea really is🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, njpln said:

As a Floridian with kettles that shut off automatically,😉, I want to note as an aside, that on Cunard, we always get kettles in our cabin, and the water seems hotter!! I’m not sure if it’s because of the higher voltage, or what, because water boils at the same temperature everywhere….or does it🧐?

It doesn’t. Water boils at lower temperatures the higher elevation. I live around 5000 feet above sea level and water boils around 202 degrees F. The 212 degrees is at sea level, which most of Florida is very close to. 

Having said that, my electric kettle still heats the water to 212 degrees F before it shuts  off. The water is just boiling very vigorously the last 30 or so seconds. 

4 hours ago, njpln said:

At sea level, water boils at 100C, but as you gain altitude, due to lower atmospheric pressure, water boils at a lower temperature.

The 220/240 voltage provide more watts, so it heats the water faster, but at the same altitude it will boil at the same temperature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isn't tea served at the Explorations Cafe (or the Dutch Cafe on the newer ships)? If they serve tea, they probably would give you a hot cup of water and you could brew your own. The coffee served in both venues is really hot so it could work. 

4 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

Isn't tea served at the Explorations Cafe (or the Dutch Cafe on the newer ships)? If they serve tea, they probably would give you a hot cup of water and you could brew your own. The coffee served in both venues is really hot so it could work. 

I think the issue is most people want to have their cuppa before they venture out of the cabin.

• Like 2

Yep, that is me, like my morning cuppa before venturing out.  Room service is unpredictable.  Luckily I have a wonderful husband that will go in search of water for me.  Even last time when we were in a Neptune he would go to concierge and get me water, although it was never hot (not his fault).

• Haha 1

I purchased a collapsible, travel tea kettle from Amazon for road trips. (Hot water from hotel coffee makers often has a "coffee" taste.) It's very low voltage but does boil water (just takes some time) and has an automatic shut-off. Takes up very little space in my travel snack bag. I don't try to take on a cruise as I know it would be a no-no.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B091Y9CNP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since I am more of an ice tea person (I prefer hot tea over ice--thanks Celebrity for spoiling me in Cafe al Banca--I am the person in the buffet with a cup of hot tea and multiple glasses of ice at the table--I like that Holland usually has English tea, either Tetley or PG Tips). I tend to take cold brew tea bags and a large plastic cup on a cruise to make okay iced tea for the room.

Edited by john bowtie
addition

I am amazed at the number of cruisers on this board who are willing to risk the lives of thousands of people so they can have their perfectly brewed cup of tea. Some even offer an explanation as to why an electric kettle is perfectly safe, when they have no knowledge  whatsoever about the electrical systems on a ship. Any suggestions offered regarding an alternate way to enjoy a cup of tea is flat out rejected. If there is the slightest chance that something could a fire hazard, why on earth would anyone ignore the warning.?

• Like 4