Can you bring one wheel or e scooter on celebrity eclipse Bermuda cruise

annsato2362

11 minutes ago, annsato2362 said:

Please help. I will be driving to my port and want to take my one wheel and e scooter to ride while in port at Bermuda. Does anyone know if this is allowed?

Yes to the e scooter, but it must be kept and recharged in your stateroom and cannot be left outside your room in the hallways, etc.

Don't know about the one wheel.  Hopefully someone else will.

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Asking, because I do not know, are they more of a fire hazard than the mobility scooters we can rent to use on board?

I wouldn't think so as it most likely would be turned off while in the stateroom.  My interpretation is that the OP is only intending to use it while in port, so it would only be stored in their stateroom until they arrive and inoperative on board.

Probably the best suggestion IMO is for the OP to talk with his travel agent, if they used one, or talk with Celebrity directly and find out about both items they have in question for sure.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Asking, because I do not know, are they more of a fire hazard than the mobility scooters we can rent to use on board?

They specifically prohibit skateboards and surfboards. I suspect they would extend that to powered scooters and one wheels. I thought they’d prohibited Hoverboards in the past. The current list is “incomplete” to put it mildly. 

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

They specifically prohibit skateboards and surfboards. I suspect they would extend that to powered scooters and one wheels. I thought they’d prohibited Hoverboards in the past. The current list is “incomplete” to put it mildly. 

...and to be fair with my first response I initially interpreted the e-scooter to be the small sit down riding version - not the stand up powered ones.  So this is why I suggested they contact Celebrity to confirm.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...and to be fair with my first response I initially interpreted the e-scooter to be the small sit down riding version - not the stand up powered ones.  So this is why I suggested they contact Celebrity to confirm.

Agree. 

I’d still probably go for 2 out of 3 to be sure and all bets are off with actual port security! I’d leave them at home. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Agree. 

I’d still probably go for 2 out of 3 to be sure and all bets are off with actual port security! I’d leave them at home. 

Check out the rules for scooters in Bermuda.  Your scooter would need to be insured in Bermuda.  Just rent one there 

28 minutes ago, CruisinNole said:

If you search on non-resident driving restrictions on Bermuda, I think you'll see that you would not be allowed to drive there. Looks like the only option is to rent.

Good point, which I had forgotten.  To further clarify the rentals would only apply to the (recently approved there) micro cars and motor scooters.  And there are no standard car rentals in Bermuda.

Glad you caught that as that would modify my original incorrect response to the OP to now say "no".  Leave them at home.

20 hours ago, markeb said:

I think the one wheel would be covered under that. I think they purposely make the list vague now so that passengers don't think they can bring any item that is not specificly listed. People look for loop holes so now they make the list more vague. So just because an item is not listed does not mean it won't be confiscated. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

If you search on non-resident driving restrictions on Bermuda, I think you'll see that you would not be allowed to drive there. Looks like the only option is to rent.

Could you provide a reference? A link? You can rent and drive e-scooters and mini cars. 

Edited by Charles4515

20 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

How does the battery get charged?

Just curiosity now, as the OPs ques has been answered!

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Good point, which I had forgotten.  To further clarify the rentals would only apply to the (recently approved there) micro cars and motor scooters.  And there are no standard car rentals in Bermuda.

Glad you caught that as that would modify my original incorrect response to the OP to now say "no".  Leave them at home.

I think they should leave them at home but if they could get them there they could probably use them. If Bermuda has a rule against I would like to see a link. 

11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think they should leave them at home but if they could get them there they could probably use them. If Bermuda has a rule against I would like to see a link. 

I want to make sure my response was clear - I was referring to not having the ability to drive cars there as none are available to rent, and that the only rentals would be the (moped) scooters and recently approved electric mini-cars.  

But clearly you can use a US drivers license to rent those, so driving in Bermuda can be done.  My comment about leaving them at home is based on my uncertainty of if the stand up e-scooter and one wheel would be permitted on the roads there.

Not been very clear in my comments today - sorry.

Just to be clear, I believe they’re talking about one of these…

Or something similar. I don’t think they’ll allow that on board. Odds are if you call and ask about a scooter, the person on the other end will think mobility scooter. These are the things they rent as dockless scooters and end up left on a sidewalk somewhere for the company to come collect. 

image.png

30 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

My comment about leaving them at home is based on my uncertainty of if the stand up e-scooter and one wheel would be permitted on the roads there

I have not been able find anything definitive on whether either would be permitted on the roads there. There may be e-scooter rental. A business announced it but I don’t know if it happened. I wonder where OP is intending to use them. Perhaps around the Dockyard would be safe, maybe St. George’s but I don’t think they would be safely usable elsewhere.  

7 minutes ago, markeb said:

Just to be clear, I believe they’re talking about one of these…

Or something similar. I don’t think they’ll allow that on board. Odds are if you call and ask about a scooter, the person on the other end will think mobility scooter. These are the things they rent as dockless scooters and end up left on a sidewalk somewhere for the company to come collect. 

image.png

Here is a link to a company renting them in Bermuda. https://www.grabawhip.com

As Bermuda is extremely regulated it is valid to ask if tourists can bring their own. They might require them to be rented. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

WOW.. the old style rental scooters on Bermuda  were dangerous enough on windy roads with traffic going opp side of US.

Cannot imagine these not being  even more dangerous..anyhow..not for me!

I can imagine bringing your own not allowed. Our neighbor tweaked his motor and that thing moved.  By having to rent in a “foreign “country, the scooters would have to be government standard regulated

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Here is a link to a company renting them in Bermuda. https://www.grabawhip.com

Wow, that must be quite new as I don't remember them there on our last visit a year and a half ago.  At that time the electric mini cars had only recently been introduced.  They certainly don't look too safe for the roads in Bermuda, especially when the roads get wet.. Dangerous enough with mopeds!  (Which in our far younger and apparently more reckless years my wife and I did rent there).

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Could you provide a reference? A link? You can rent and drive e-scooters and mini cars. 

That's what I said. You would have to rent an e-scooter, not drive your personal e-scooter. From the US Dept of State, Bermuda International Travel and Transportation:

"Road Conditions and Safety:  Driving on the island is on the left, British-style, and the maximum speed limit is 15 mph in Hamilton and 21 mph on the rest of the island. Under Bermudian law, non-residents are not allowed to own, rent, or drive four-wheeled vehicles, except for a limited number of all electric rental mini cars that hold two passengers. Non-residents must rely on taxis, buses, or rental scooters."

Edited by CruisinNole

19 hours ago, hcat said:

WOW.. the old style rental scooters on Bermuda  were dangerous enough on windy roads with traffic going opp side of US.

Cannot imagine these not being  even more dangerous..anyhow..not for me!

Oops winding not windy