Flights 9 months in advance? Really?

Lois R

I am sailing on the Ray at the end of the year on her TA crossing (December). I just received an email from Silversea with my flight from here to Lisbon. It is Miami to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Lisbon.  Just curious, isn't that a bit of a weird connection? I will contact my SS rep tomorrow. I have booked my flights through SS many times for long hauls across the pond but this is the first time I can remember getting an email so early. We are in February and the flight is for December.

Just seems really strange to me........any thoughts?

Oh, the really wrong thing is...they have me arriving in Lisbon the day we sail..........I NEVER arrive on sail day when flying overseas. So I am definitely going to have to change the flights!!!

Turkish Air is probably cheap right now. I have seen lots of itineraries with them lately, as I look at possible flights for my upcoming cruises. It would be a long and circuitous route to Lisbon, for sure, so it would not be my preference either. But we've enjoyed their domestic planes and I'd fly them again in long-haul, if the itinerary made sense.

Hi JP, I have never flown Turkish before but who knows if will end up being with them because I have to change the day of my flight.

Does sound like a long route but we really like the Turkish Air business class.  They have a chef onboard and a separate staff just to serve food and beverages.  Not to mention and amazing lounge in Istanbul.  Is there not a nonstop TAP flight?

• Like 2

Well we always book our flights 11-12 months out. We like to use our points so booking early is still the better way to ensure you get what you want.

But Turkish are doing a lot of promotions now so likely SS could get a very good deal.

25 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Does sound like a long route but we really like the Turkish Air business class.  They have a chef onboard and a separate staff just to serve food and beverages.  Not to mention and amazing lounge in Istanbul.  Is there not a nonstop TAP flight?

Hi, I don't know about the TAP schedule. I will speak with my SS rep tomorrow and go from there. I know United flies from Newark to Lisbon but SS no longer uses Newark as a "Gateway City". At least I have plenty of time to get this fixed.

Don't they always book you to arrive the day you sail? This is what they did for our upcoming cruise in May (flights were available around 9 months in advance). But when we requested to arrive 2 nights early, they requested almost $1,000 USD extra per person for business class flights. So we took air credit and booked our own flights.

7 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Don't they always book you to arrive the day you sail? This is what they did for our upcoming cruise in May (flights were available around 9 months in advance). But when we requested to arrive 2 nights early, they requested almost $1,000 USD extra per person for business class flights. So we took air credit and booked our own flights.

Hi, I normally arrive 1 day early. I never fly overseas for a cruise and arrive on sail day. I will get some answers tomorrow.

57 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Well we always book our flights 11-12 months out. We like to use our points so booking early is still the better way to ensure you get what you want

Not necessarily true.

Award seats used to be "dumped" into inventory all at one time.  So booking as soon as the schedule was released was the prime strategy.  However, award seats for most carriers are now released, and priced, on a dynamic basis, so that's not necessarily the best strategy anymore.

In addition, the further out your booking, the more likely that you will have some significant changes to your itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two big advantages to the TK flights through IST, assuming business class:

1)  If in business, you have an excellent inflight product.

2)  The routing through IST will give you plenty of time for getting a good night's sleep onboard.  That's a BIG help towards mitigating jet lag.  East coast to LIS is under 8 hours - which can be desirable if in coach.  But in biz, that's barely enough time for a nap.  Contrast with the 11:30 from MIA to IST, which will give you time for a full night sleep, even with time for a good meal aboard.

And one more, if not on a cruiseline ticket.  TK has a wonderful stopover program, where you can stopover at no additional airfare cost.  In addition, they have programs with free hotels and/or tours, so you can enjoy Istanbul along the way to your destination.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I normally arrive 1 day early. I never fly overseas for a cruise and arrive on sail day. I will get some answers tomorrow.

We are the same, but that means that SS typically will charge you deviation fee and possibly any difference in fares.

10 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Not necessarily true.

Award seats used to be "dumped" into inventory all at one time.  So booking as soon as the schedule was released was the prime strategy.  However, award seats for most carriers are now released, and priced, on a dynamic basis, so that's not necessarily the best strategy anymore.

In addition, the further out your booking, the more likely that you will have some significant changes to your itinerary.

With my points (Aeroplan), 90% of the time you get the best results by booking as soon as the flights are released (typically 350-355 days in advance). I was always able to book at best possible prices (in points). Sometimes extra award seats are released later, but it's a gamble. 

For example, for our upcoming flight to Venice in May I could book for 70k points in May 2023 when the flights have been just released, but I had D2D booked with SS including business class upgrade at very good rates. When they asked for extra $1,000 USD to fly 2 days earlier, we took an air credit, but flights to Venice from Toronto were already over 250k, so now we have to fly via Rome or Frankfurt. They never came back below 100k. 

Of course other programs might be different.

Anyway, this was a good lesson to never book flights with a cruise line.

Edited by ak1004
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Two big advantages to the TK flights through IST, assuming business class:

1)  If in business, you have an excellent inflight product.

2)  The routing through IST will give you plenty of time for getting a good night's sleep onboard.  That's a BIG help towards mitigating jet lag.  East coast to LIS is under 8 hours - which can be desirable if in coach.  But in biz, that's barely enough time for a nap.  Contrast with the 11:30 from MIA to IST, which will give you time for a full night sleep, even with time for a good meal aboard.

And one more, if not on a cruiseline ticket.  TK has a wonderful stopover program, where you can stopover at no additional airfare cost.  In addition, they have programs with free hotels and/or tours, so you can enjoy Istanbul along the way to your destination.

Agree about 2). Regarding 1), dodn't they still have an outdated 2-3-2 configuration on most if not all planes?

13 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Agree about 2). Regarding 1), dodn't they still have an outdated 2-3-2 configuration on most if not all planes?

They have 1-2-1 on all of the new A350 and 787, which are increasingly being used on USA routes.  And while the 777 is 2-3-2, that still allows a couple to sit together on the side.  And FWIW, there are many couples that actually prefer that to being "apart" in a 1-2-1 config (even in the middle where the seats are canted away from each other.).  Which highlights why checking aircraft and configurations is important.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We are the same, but that means that SS typically will charge you deviation fee and possibly any difference in fares.

With my points (Aeroplan), 90% of the time you get the best results by booking as soon as the flights are released (typically 350-355 days in advance). I was always able to book at best possible prices (in points). Sometimes extra award seats are released later, but it's a gamble. 

For example, for our upcoming flight to Venice in May I could book for 70k points in May 2023 when the flights have been just released, but I had D2D booked with SS including business class upgrade at very good rates. When they asked for extra $1,000 USD to fly 2 days earlier, we took an air credit, but flights to Venice from Toronto were already over 250k, so now we have to fly via Rome or Frankfurt. They never came back below 100k. 

Of course other programs might be different.

Anyway, this was a good lesson to never book flights with a cruise line.

We all have different experiences, that is for sure. I have multiple long haul flights through SS and trying to think of any major issues.......maybe I just have been lucky but most of them have been good. All business class and that is what this upcoming one is as well.

• Like 1

I still am getting the flights I want on airlines I like by booking as soon as they are released. We always plan well ahead and I also am not prepared to gamble on later dumps of award seats.

• Like 1

Silversea merged their airline booking into Royal Caribbean. Since then they go for the cheapest possible and charge for any and all deviation including coming in earlier than day of sailing except for the very few sailings that still provide a hotel on Door to Door. All the cruise lines are looking for any place to cut costs, but Silversea seems to be out front with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

They have 1-2-1 on all of the new A350 and 787, which are increasingly being used on USA routes.  And while the 777 is 2-3-2, that still allows a couple to sit together on the side.  And FWIW, there are many couples that actually prefer that to being "apart" in a 1-2-1 config (even in the middle where the seats are canted away from each other.).  Which highlights why checking aircraft and configurations is important.

Good to know. From Toronto it's still 777 unfortunately which for us is not the best option.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

We all have different experiences, that is for sure. I have multiple long haul flights through SS and trying to think of any major issues.......maybe I just have been lucky but most of them have been good. All business class and that is what this upcoming one is as well.

Don't they ask for more money if you fly early? For us this was the main issue.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Good to know. From Toronto it's still 777 unfortunately which for us is not the best option.

Don't they ask for more money if you fly early? For us this was the main issue.

If I am being totally honest, I am not sure (or I don't remember). I do know there has been the excellent price for a Business class seat and I really don't recall being told the price is xxx amount more for the day early arrival.

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I don't know about the TAP schedule. I will speak with my SS rep tomorrow and go from there. I know United flies from Newark to Lisbon but SS no longer uses Newark as a "Gateway City". At least I have plenty of time to get this fixed.

Fwiw...4-29-24 we're flying United from EWR direct to Lisbon to catch the May 2 Silver Dawn sailing to Southampton. Good luck with your flights. 

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I am sailing on the Ray at the end of the year on her TA crossing (December). I just received an email from Silversea with my flight from here to Lisbon. It is Miami to Istanbul and then Istanbul to Lisbon.  Just curious, isn't that a bit of a weird connection? I will contact my SS rep tomorrow. I have booked my flights through SS many times for long hauls across the pond but this is the first time I can remember getting an email so early. We are in February and the flight is for December.

Just seems really strange to me........any thoughts?

Oh, the really wrong thing is...they have me arriving in Lisbon the day we sail..........I NEVER arrive on sail day when flying overseas. So I am definitely going to have to change the flights!!!

What about your hotel if your plan was to arrive a day early?  Did you book D2D and did SS confirm your hotel?

We are also sailing out of Lisbon in May on the Dawn. As mentioned AA does offer PHL to LIS nonstop and so far that is the flight SS booked for us. They did charge us extra to fly out 2 days early on that flight ,however, the extra they charged was still less than what we could have booked on our own. We do not  have enough points with airlines , so we will continue to use silverair until it becomes cost prohibitive, which so far it has not. With all the uncertainty in this world, I can’t afford to lock in early with my own money by booking direct. Lois- I believe you will be able to work out a better flight with your TA or CC, we certainly did. Good luck and safe travels. 

Unless you REALLY don't care about price or travel time, check the options for self-booking before committing to the Silversea flights.

It continues to baffle me that there is a significant market for people who fly in the day of the cruise instead of one, two, or more days early.

• Like 1