The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday February 20th, 2024

kazu

Today is Clean Out Your Bookcase Day, Hoodie Hoo Day, and National Cherry Pie Day

A pessimist is a person who has had to listen to too many optimists. - Don Marquis

Meal Suggestion for today - Coffee-Braised Pot Roast with Caramelized Onions
Drink of the Day - Mind The Gap
Wine of the Day - Bread & Butter Pinot Noir 
Destination of the Day - Lahaina, Hawaii, US

Today in History:
1792 US postal service created, postage 6-12 cents depending on distance
1872 New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art opens
1873 British Naval Officer John Moresby is the first European to discover the site of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, claims it for the United Kingdom
1962 John Glenn becomes the 1st American to orbit the Earth, aboard Friendship 7

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Belize City 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii Island eta 02-23

Nieuw Amsterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 13:00 - 23:00 

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Ocho Rios, Jamaica eta 02-21

Oosterdam

San Antonio (Santiago), Chile 

Rotterdam

Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles 17:00 - 

Zaandam

Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles 08:00 - 15:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

At Sea Destination Auckland, New Zealand eta 02-22

Volendam

At Sea Destination Port Lincoln, South Australia eta 02-22

Westerdam

Naha, Okinawa Island Japan 07:00 - 17:30 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Ishigakijima Island, Sakishima-Yaeyama, Japan Okinawa eta 02-23

• Like 17
  • Thanks 20

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck having surgery for a blocked artery

RMLincoln’s DSIL hospitalized, going to Rehab, but with treatments

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

2 policemen/1 fireman killed in Minnesota responding to a domestic dispute 

RIP Alexei Navalny

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Lazey1 with mitral stenosis, pulmonary edema; may need surgery

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

StLouisCruisers’ DGD suffering anxiety/fear after a trauma

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage USN59-79 (Ray & Sara)!

Welcome Home 0106 (Tina)!

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, out of ICU!

RMLincoln’s DH Richard dealing day to day after his eye procedure 

Superoma/Lcubed covering the Daily meal and wine  

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 24 to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean

Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise, Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic, Mr. Boston (Rotterdam to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, USN59-79(Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl(Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 20

Good morning to all and thanks for the daily and fleet report. Three good days to celebrate. Funny quote. I think I will pass on the food and libations   Thoughts are still going to Lahaina. Was supposed to go there. 

IMG_4282.thumb.jpeg.e455961c1cd714244e448d8e1a9bd01e.jpeg

We are pulling into Philipsburg Sint Maarten. I am going on an excursion hopefully to see the planes at Maho Beach. We received a lovely bag last night and a very nice Legendary Tile. Forgot to take a pic of the tile. I will do that later. 

IMG_4275.thumb.jpeg.1377c1c6deef780c67f8d009e1c0ef77.jpeg

Thoughts for all and cheers to those celebrating!!

Have a great day everyone!!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

It is another chilly morning here at 37 degrees. The forecast has a bunch of 70s starting in a few days. Pollen is in full force as our crape myrtle trees have opened. 

I hope everyone has a great day! 

20231104_061155.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good morning from North East England where it is 52°F and sunny.

Today is Pauline's late dad's 97th birthday.

He has been in heaven 16 years in July.

Roy was the nicest person I ever knew and this picture of Roy,our Sarah and me was taken in our back garden 35 year's ago.

Thank you to all of the daily regulars who keep the thread interesting.

I am always an optimist.

We tendered into Lahaina from Grand Princess on 

November 26th 2019.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Screenshot_20240220_092145.jpg

Screenshot_20240220_111942.jpg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Strange collection of days - maybe someone will explain Hoodie Hoo Day. I like cherry 🍒 pie, warm or chilled. Will not be cleaning any bookcases today - plumber is coming so the sink cabinet I cleaned out is the extent of today's cleaning.

The meal sounds great, maybe on the drink once I know what it is, yes to the wine, not been to the port (it was removed from the Christmas itinerary 😪).

Many good days in history.

Did not get a confirmation call or text from the plumber - sure hope he's coming.

Currently 45° headed to 81° with sun all week. 

Prayers and positive thoughts for all. 🙏

20240220_052033.thumb.jpg.9ed500a86be0fb47bb22b2d3e370992c.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Thanks for the maps.

Cool and clear this morning, but should warm up to 3°C (37°F) this afternoon, much better than the -15C we had  a couple of days ago.

I have some books I could donate, I'm not a fan of cherry pie and I won't shout Hoodie Hoo, but I'd like to see the end of winter.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds good, I hope the drink and wine are tasty too.

I haven't been to today's port.

@JazzyV Thanks for the lists.  Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  Well, it's still cold here in the mornings with the thermometer at around 20 degrees, but again a high of 61 and partly cloudy/sunny skies.  @seagarsmoker, wow on your crape myrtles already blooming and the pollen there in February!  Those who don't prune them don't even have leaves on them yet here!  

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting Rich's @richwmn's Fleet Report and Daily.  We have lots of bookcases and mine could probably use dusting but they don't need cleaning out.  I remember celebrating Hoodie Hoo Day before.  I would love to say goodbye to winter and say hello to spring, and it sounds like they have spring already there in South Carolina.  I love cherry pie but don't have anything to make one here in the house.  Another interesting quote.  Today's meal should be out of the ordinary using coffee on the pot roast.  No idea what the drink is all about, and don't drink red wine so will pass on them.  My, so many things have happened on this day in history!  Congrats to the postal service, John Glenn, the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the discovery of Port Moresby, PNG.  Thanks to Debbie/Eva @dfish/ @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Laura @Lcubed for your reports on the F&B.👍

Prayers for all on our Care list here on the Daily.  My continued wish is that all of you experience improvement in your condition, whether physically or emotionally.  Maureen @RMLincoln I hope your family's plan for DSIL works best for them all, and hope you and your DB can continue to communicate.  Prayers for Chuck @catmando today.  Also my friend Bob and his wife Sandy as they navigate this journey, friend Scott and wife Susan, DB and DGD.  We shouldn't forget those living in war in Israel and Ukraine, and I hope the hostages will be released someday soon.  Take care military members in the region.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your excellent list keeping for us!  Hope you got some rest last night and lower pain levels.

The port this morning is Lahaina, Hawaii, a place many of us have enjoyed.  It will be years before they can rebuild that town, and the beautiful vegetation to fill in.  We had this port before on June 12, 2021 and May, 2022.  Here are the links for you.  I've lost my photos on those links so will have to go back and fill in.  

I hope today turns out to be a wonderful day for you all.  My thoughts go to Pauline @Paw13on this sad day in her life, and hope she can try to recall the happy memories of her DD.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Happy Tuesday and thanks Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Laura, Eva & Dixie for your contributions.

Three good days.  I’m not doing Hoodie Hoo nor making a cheery pie.  I think I’ve been celebrating Clean Out Your Bookcases day for over a year.  (I’ve been dealing with 5 of them). I’ll work on a few more today in the spirit of the day. 😉 

IMG_2142.jpeg.3193b927aef7b348055667a7663acc8d.jpeg

LOL on the quote.  I never thought of listening to options as pessimistic.  Not sure about a coffee basted pot roast - I’ll have to wait for that one. Been to Hawaiin islands but not this port, I don’t think.   Lots of great days in history today.

IMG_2157.jpeg.7e051edf17765211103acd0a57d6934c.jpeg

It’s another miserably cold day today. ‘Sigh’.  So far, it has warmed up enough to be safe to walk Ivan (although not pleasant for me) but I’m not optimistic about today.  Time will tell.  i will get my walking in with my neighbour at the Q-plex (our indoor rink with a walking track on the upper level).

IMG_1580.thumb.jpeg.c2c3d24bb0eaf0d6fa3882a5f91c6292.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries and those that need them 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂 

IMG_2158.jpeg.b39dc1dab3a908bb25eb5bd2f502b06d.jpeg

• Like 31
  • Haha 4

Good morning.  COLD!! this morning.  Ft. Lauderdale airport is still a mess.  Feel so bad for those travelers.  Hugs and prayers for everyone.

Mind the Gap cocktail:
2 oz Cardhu 12-year-old Scotch Whisky
1/2 oz Drambuie
1/2 oz Dolin dry vermouth
1 dash Angostura bitters
Lemon peel
Build in old-fashioned glass. Zest and squeeze lemon peel. Add ice and stir.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 6.59.54 AM.png

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Bon voyage @USN59-79. Doubly so.  CC acting up. 

Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports and the maps.  We are weaving our way into our anchorage in Belize.  Rather cool this morning. We are here with a Princess ship. 

Thanks for our Cares and Celebrations list Vanessa.  Prayers for everyone in our group that are going through trials and illnesses.  Prayers for the people of Ukraine.  

We are heading ashore after the crush clears and have lunch at an over water restaurant.  Our dinner last night in the Pinnacle Grill was lovely.  I had been afraid to order pork chops because of the petrified ones I had to return on the Volendam.  This chef pleasantly knows how to cook meat to the correct temperature.  This time it was one pork chop almost like a mini tomahawk.  It was perfect and John enjoyed his lamb chops.  Never room for dessert.  Have a lovely day! Nancy 

IMG_20240219_183146747.jpg

IMG_20240219_185427418.jpg

IMG_20240219_185435672.jpg

IMG_20240220_065120056.jpg

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Somehow, I thought that Hoodie Hoo day involved wearing a hoodie. 

Grading assignments all day today. Also working on some marketing videos and videos for my classes. 

Cold out today but the sun will be out so more melting should occur. 

Bon voyage to @USN59-79.

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. Kitty Kangaroo Mewgaroo Hoodie - Purrfect Love

Have a safe and healthy day. 

• Like 29

Lahaina. Hawaii

I'm happy to say we have been to Lahaina while on two Hawaii cruises, and also on two South Pacific cruises.  In 2007 on Diamond Princess we decided to take a whale watching cruise while in Lahaina.  Here's a pic of one of our whale visitors that day.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Afterwards we stepped into a restaurant (Front Street Grill) for a cool drink.  Behind us in this photo is the square with the famous banyan tree.  Shadiest spot in town!

In 2009 while visiting Lahaina on the Golden Princess, we hadn't even tendered to shore yet when what did we see?  A group of whales right off the ship's starboard side.  These photos are from the promenade deck of the Golden.

That day we went shopping with friends Bob and Sandy who were on the cruise with us, then stopped for ice cream at Front Street Grill.

But of course before we left town for our ride back to the ship we stopped to pay homage to the banyan tree.

In 2014 we returned to Lahaina on our cruise in the South Pacific.  This time we walked as far as we could and tried not to stop in as many shops.  We saw the Old Lahaina Courthouse which was being used as a museum, art gallery and visitor center.

Here are ruins of the Old Fort, made of coral blocks and sand.

We even saw the King Kamehameha III school.

Our old haunt, Front Street Grill was now called Captain Jack's Island Grill.

Island architecture.

Shopping, shopping, shopping...

And finally, a church!

And some nice carvings someone was selling.

A Chinese museum

photos taken from the ship later in the day, taking in the scenic island.

In 2017 we visited there on the Maasdam.  Heading to shore on our tender we saw two youngsters surfing nearby.

What a life!

If you stand at the railing and look down at the rocks you see things like this.

There was something in Lahaina for everyone.  I hope the town will be rebuilt soon and the vegetation grows thick and lush again.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

28 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Well, it's still cold here in the mornings with the thermometer at around 20 degrees, but again a high of 61 and partly cloudy/sunny skies.  @seagarsmoker, wow on your crape myrtles already blooming and the pollen there in February!  Those who don't prune them don't even have leaves on them yet here!  

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting Rich's @richwmn's Fleet Report and Daily.  We have lots of bookcases and mine could probably use dusting but they don't need cleaning out.  I remember celebrating Hoodie Hoo Day before.  I would love to say goodbye to winter and say hello to spring, and it sounds like they have spring already there in South Carolina.  I love cherry pie but don't have anything to make one here in the house.  Another interesting quote.  Today's meal should be out of the ordinary using coffee on the pot roast.  No idea what the drink is all about, and don't drink red wine so will pass on them.  My, so many things have happened on this day in history!  Congrats to the postal service, John Glenn, the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the discovery of Port Moresby, PNG.  Thanks to Debbie/Eva @dfish/ @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Laura @Lcubed for your reports on the F&B.👍

Prayers for all on our Care list here on the Daily.  My continued wish is that all of you experience improvement in your condition, whether physically or emotionally.  Maureen @RMLincoln I hope your family's plan for DSIL works best for them all, and hope you and your DB can continue to communicate.  Prayers for Chuck @catmando today.  Also my friend Bob and his wife Sandy as they navigate this journey, friend Scott and wife Susan, DB and DGD.  We shouldn't forget those living in war in Israel and Ukraine, and I hope the hostages will be released someday soon.  Take care military members in the region.  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your excellent list keeping for us!  Hope you got some rest last night and lower pain levels.

The port this morning is Lahaina, Hawaii, a place many of us have enjoyed.  It will be years before they can rebuild that town, and the beautiful vegetation to fill in.  We had this port before on June 12, 2021 and May, 2022.  Here are the links for you.  I've lost my photos on those links so will have to go back and fill in.  

I hope today turns out to be a wonderful day for you all.  My thoughts go to Pauline @Paw13on this sad day in her life, and hope she can try to recall the happy memories of her DD.

We have several different varieties of crape myrtles here that bloom at different times. Yes, they are cut back every fall and the easy way for us to keep track is by color. The whites are the first to bloom, then the pinks in mid-spring, then the reds in late spring, then the purple (called grapes here) in late summer. They are beautiful when they bud and flower, and they love the sandy soil!  

3zd5vplm.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Eva, Dixie, and Laura.  Bon Voyage @USN59-79.  Safe travels Tina @0106.  Unfortunately, you may be coming home to rain Thursday and Friday..  While I love cherry pie I don't expect to have any, won't shout Hoodie Hoo but will welcome spring.  I've done quite a bit of culling my bookcases over the years.

I don't think I really understand the quote.

A number of great days in history, especially the one in 1962.

I have been to Lahaina twice, Crystal Symphony in 2010 and Crystal Serenity in 2018.

Not convinced about the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salak, Broiled New York Strip Loin, and Peach Crisp as served on MS Koningsdam February 20. 2017:

dishes20.jpg

Roy

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thank you Sandi.

We both have many memories of a lovely man who Pauline cries for and her late mam Ruth every day.

Pauline has been to several recommended mediums since Roy died and he has come through every time without any doubt it was him.

Last time he came through with Bruno and Domino our Boxer and Dalmatian dogs.

• Like 14

20 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lahaina. Hawaii

I'm happy to say we have been to Lahaina while on two Hawaii cruises, and also on two South Pacific cruises.  In 2007 on Diamond Princess we decided to take a whale watching cruise while in Lahaina.  Here's a pic of one of our whale visitors that day.

Afterwards we stepped into a restaurant (Front Street Grill) for a cool drink.  Behind us in this photo is the square with the famous banyan tree.  Shadiest spot in town!

In 2009 while visiting Lahaina on the Golden Princess, we hadn't even tendered to shore yet when what did we see?  A group of whales right off the ship's starboard side.  These photos are from the promenade deck of the Golden.

That day we went shopping with friends Bob and Sandy who were on the cruise with us, then stopped for ice cream at Front Street Grill.

But of course before we left town for our ride back to the ship we stopped to pay homage to the banyan tree.

In 2014 we returned to Lahaina on our cruise in the South Pacific.  This time we walked as far as we could and tried not to stop in as many shops.  We saw the Old Lahaina Courthouse which was being used as a museum, art gallery and visitor center.

Here are ruins of the Old Fort, made of coral blocks and sand.

We even saw the King Kamehameha III school.

Our old haunt, Front Street Grill was now called Captain Jack's Island Grill.

Island architecture.

Shopping, shopping, shopping...

And finally, a church!

And some nice carvings someone was selling.

A Chinese museum

photos taken from the ship later in the day, taking in the scenic island.

In 2017 we visited there on the Maasdam.  Heading to shore on our tender we saw two youngsters surfing nearby.

What a life!

If you stand at the railing and look down at the rocks you see things like this.

There was something in Lahaina for everyone.  I hope the town will be rebuilt soon and the vegetation grows thick and lush again.

Lovely photos of yourselves and Lahaina Sandi.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1