Medallion Accessories

artvlay

Looking to get some type of accessory for the Princess Medallion. I looked on Amazon and they have items that are made for the apple air tags. Are these the same size as eash other?

The medallions are slightly smaller than air tag. (medallions will fit in air tag/air tags will not fit in Princess holders).

Yes, you can use an air tag holder for medallions.

My wife and I use Air Tag holders for the Medallions. They fit very snugly. No chance of dislodging them by accident. I just stick mine in my pocket but my wife sometimes makes use of the clip. Other times she sticks it in her small bag with her tatting. (She likes to keep busy and tatting is small and easy to carry around.)

35 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Other times she sticks it in her small bag with her tatting. (She likes to keep busy and tatting is small and easy to carry around.)

Just curious. What is tatting?

1 hour ago, philv said:

Tatting is a virtually lost art of making lace from fine thread. My Grandma used to do it and made gorgeous pieces. I still have her tatting hook - I wish I had learned more from her. 

@Thrak I am so impressed that your wife has that skill. You just don’t see it much anymore. Very cool!

21 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Tatting is a virtually lost art of making lace from fine thread. My Grandma used to do it and made gorgeous pieces. I still have her tatting hook - I wish I had learned more from her. 

@Thrak I am so impressed that your wife has that skill. You just don’t see it much anymore. Very cool!

It seems that on every cruise there will be a few women who come over and ask her about it. She was making little green Christmas wreaths with tiny red beads incorporated into them last year. Lots of inquiries about what she was doing. Sometimes she just makes bookmarks or something simple just to keep her hands occupied. Of course she also knits and makes very nice sweaters for the grandkids, and she quilts as well and makes wonderful quilts. She just finished another one and I was quite pleased to find we are keeping it for ourselves as I really like it.

• Like 4

On 2/24/2024 at 6:48 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

The medallions are slightly smaller than air tag. (medallions will fit in air tag/air tags will not fit in Princess holders).

Yes, you can use an air tag holder for medallions.

So although the Princess Medallion is slightly smaller than the air tag it won't fall out of watchband designed for the air tag?

On 2/24/2024 at 7:28 PM, philv said:

Tatting is a form of needlework and produces a very fine lace like product.  It can e done with a shuttle or needle. It was becoming a lost art, but is making a comeback in craft circles.  I like to take tatting with me on cruises because it is much less bulky.  I can put all my supplies in a little bag not much bigger than mt iPhone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, artvlay said:

So although the Princess Medallion is slightly smaller than the air tag it won't fall out of watchband designed for the air tag?

The AirTag is about 1mm larger than the medallion. I would say any of the silicone or rubbery type AirTag holders will work just fine. 

image.png.e7187b0864e131730385cffb909c19bd.png

42 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Correct and they “shouldn’t” fall out.  Mine haven’t yet.  Especially since the one I use for my watch band actually holds the medallion in place.  

There is no way in the world our Medallions could fall out of these Air Tag holders. As you can see they even cover our names and the voyage info so the Medallions are in there very snugly. These have a clip on the back. I don't clip it on but my wife sometimes does. I just keep mine in my pocket.

image.jpeg.1f29dbc8b81d1bc54b4087e3aa8c6230.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pickels said:

When you receive your Medallion at home, how do you know it's working?  Can you test it somehow?

Interesting thought. First, the bottom line, if it doesn't work when you embark, or the battery goes dead (as it will do on a longer cruise) you'll receive another. If you notice it stops unlocking your cabin door, it's time to go to Passenger Services. 

I was an electronic tech in the USAF. I've read it carries a code like a car license plate. Not your name or account information, so to check it's function would require buying a device that could read it. Then even if you could read the code, you wouldn't know if that connected to your account until you boarded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtnesterz said:

Interesting thought. First, the bottom line, if it doesn't work when you embark, or the battery goes dead (as it will do on a longer cruise) you'll receive another. If you notice it stops unlocking your cabin door, it's time to go to Passenger Services. 

I was an electronic tech in the USAF. I've read it carries a code like a car license plate. Not your name or account information, so to check it's function would require buying a device that could read it. Then even if you could read the code, you wouldn't know if that connected to your account until you boarded.

Thanks for the input 

7 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

On our cruise last summer our medallions worked without issue getting on the ship, but they would not open our door. It took 4 trips to guest services and we were not happy campers. They kept telling us they were”resetting” them but no luck. Our poor room steward kept having to let us in our room. Finally, when it still wasn’t working after dinner I went back down to guest services and pretty much went full on “Karen” on them. Not my proudest moment but I was so annoyed that after multiple trips to the desk we still couldn’t get in our room. Finally they sent someone from IT up and he reprogrammed our door panel - which was where the problem was, not with our medallions. In general, we have had great experience with them - that was the one exception. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 2:37 AM, karatemom2 said:

What a lovely skill and hobby to have! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gabrielle R. said:

When do they ship the Medallion?  We are heading south (from Minnesota) a month before the cruise. I was thinking I’m probably better off getting it at the pier. Any advice?

Pick them up at the pier.  They are shipped USPostalService to (hopefully) arrive a week or a few days before your cruise.

Takes 30 seconds more to get them at the pier.

• Thanks 1