Norovirus is on the Dawn

julig22

From mid-January I was also on the Dawn from Mauritius to Cape Town. The observance of hygiene by many travelers left me speechless, especially after Corona. Thanks to the Internet, there were only premature, dubious reports or assumptions. If all 10 of the 10 participants in the discussion here adhered to the hygiene regulations, then these problems would not exist at all. “Noro” hovers over every cruise and whoever wins this battle is the responsibility of each traveler. Please excuse my maybe bad English, but I come from Germany.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gaycruisecouple99 said:

the likelihood is that it may be Norovirus, and in a post covid world, there are no excuses for cruise lines having so many outbreaks of something that is easily prevented.

I’m curious. How is it “easily prevented” if there are guests who don’t practice basic hygiene?  How does a cruise line know, for example, when a guest hasn’t washed their hands after using the bathroom and then proceeds to transmit germs to whatever they touch?  And even people who are scrupulous about handwashing can still get noro, especially in the close quarters of something like a cruise ship. You touch the wrong thing at the wrong time …

And I’m not sure of the relevance of your reference to a post-covid world. Covid is a respiratory illness, noro is not. I don’t see the connection. 

If your husband were running a cruise line, what would he “easily do” to prevent a noro outbreak? 

I’m sorry that your embarkation has been delayed and hope you enjoy your time on Mauritius and your shortened cruise. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I’m sorry that your embarkation has been delayed and hope you enjoy your time on Mauritius and your shortened cruise. 

Ouch! Rubbing some major salt into the wound. The turtles have outpaced the hare in passive aggression! I'm loving it! 

I do agree with you regarding everything you said. I'm not sure how a cruise line would prevent diseases that happen on land quite frequently. 

As for @Gaycruisecouple99, would love to hear how your husband would decrease outbreaks. Maybe a cruise line will hire him on as a consultant! Also, let us know how the communication goes from here. I'm sure atrocious will he the word.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CP Tech said:

And in typical reporting these days. This is the picture that accompanies the article online via Forbes.

What's wrong with it? 🙂

Untitled.jpg

Looks like the Breakaway is on the port side of the Dawn (with the Breakaway’s starboard side closest to the Dawn).  Obviously a terrible image to have chosen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gaycruisecouple99 said:

We have spoken to people on board who have said that the cruise were aware of illness almost immediately after departing Cape Town. NCL could have quarantined said guests then and there, to prevent any spread but they have only taken these precautions after being denied entry to Mauritius. Sounds like a greedy company trying to avoid their responsibilities to care for their customers until they have no other choice but to do so.

They always quarantine guests with noro. Problem is that most just shut up and don't tell as they don't want to be confined to their cabins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Gaycruisecouple99 said:

We have spoken to people on board who have said that the cruise were aware of illness almost immediately after departing Cape Town. NCL could have quarantined said guests then and there, to prevent any spread but they have only taken these precautions after being denied entry to Mauritius. Sounds like a greedy company trying to avoid their responsibilities to care for their customers until they have no other choice but to do so.

I don't know... They must have done something right or else more than 15 people would have been affected. 

And FWIW, in situations like these there always seems to be people that "know" things and want to talk about them. Although they may not be outright lying, they might "embellish" a little. My thinking: Who knew about someone being ill? Who did they tell? Did it get reported to whoever it should have been reported to? 

• Like 3

Yep.. I had so many people I know who don't know that there are two ships there saying "This is fake right?" lol

Just a really bad picture to use.

Edited by CP Tech

4 minutes ago, CP Tech said:

Yep.. I had so many people I know who don't know that there are two ships there saying "This is fake right?" lol

Just a really bad picture to use.

Really bad.  The odd thing is that it's from Getty Images.  I'm surprised they have such a terrible photograph in their stock.  (Of course, that doesn't absolve the person from Forbes who chose to use it. Plenty of pix of just the Dawn out there.) 

23 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Geez-Louise people....wash your hands, a lot.  Don't pick your nose.  Don't grab your butt cheeks and then go to the Garden Cafe. Don't pee in the pool.  Is it all that hard?

It really is, people are filthy animals 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are waiting to board. NCL have paid for a 5 star resort while we wait. I get regular text messages from NCL keeping me informed. Check in yesterday was fairly chaotic but I have no complaints so far. The standard of newspaper reporting ( USA Today, don’t make me laugh) is dire. Ship has now docked so wait and see what the truth is before you conspiracy theorists climb out of bed and a

embrace your keyboards. Get a life.

Edited by Forrest jump
Spelling
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 8

5 hours ago, Gaycruisecouple99 said:

Sounds like a someone told someone else who told a friend of mine who told me.  How you get from norovirus to NCL being greedy is a big 'ole head scratcher.

There are two things Cruise lines fear the most.  One is an outbreak of any kind on a full ship.  The 2nd is fire!

• Like 5

In May of 2022 we had just arrived at port in Seattle to board the Bliss for our AK cruise.  Outside the terminal they were handing out flyers which stated that the previous cruise had a >2% outbreak of Norovirus and they were required by the CDC to inform passengers.  We were offered a full refund (don’t know if it was FCC or refund).

Well, we thought “what are the chances” and we boarded.  Two days in and Hubby was soooo sick.  He saw AK from the bed in a balcony cabin.  I saw AK from the balcony.

If you have never had noro, you have no idea how viscous this illness is.  If you have…we’ll then you know.

I would be thinking long and hard about whether I would be willing to board the Dawn…and I hope they are offered the option to cancel without penalty.

P.s.  We have a fairly good idea that he picked up the germ in the Observation Lounge soft seating which had a sour smell as if vomit may have been present at one time.  So, it really can happen to even those who are diligent with hand washing and personal hygiene.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, julig22 said:

Note my comment re: jumping the gun with my original post of the article link.

USA Today did originally did post it as Cholera... original article title was "Norwegian Dawn quarantined off Mauritius coast with cholera cases" - which they modified an hour or so later.

In Germany the newspaper also say it is Cholera. Much more terrible than Norovirus.

50 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

If you have never had noro, you have no idea how viscous this illness is.  If you have…we’ll then you know.

My husband had it and successfully lost ten pounds in a week...it was the worst gastro illness I've seen, other than a former co-worker who got giardia. That was nearly a month of what my husband (and probably yours) experienced. Don't be drinking that "clean" mountain water is what I learned from that co-worker's terrible experience. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I'd be very irritated at the person who lied on their health questionnaire and spread Noro on the ship.  OF course, who knows who that was.  But, these procedures and there for a reason.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, urlaub said:

In Germany the newspaper also say it is Cholera. Much more terrible than Norovirus.

Because the German newspaper just translated and printed what they read elsewhere. I'm convinced they have not done any own "research" beyond that. So anything "false" get republished over and over and over... And gullible people think that because it's "everywhere" it "must be true".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Asawi said:

Because the German newspaper just translated and printed what they read elsewhere. I'm convinced they have not done any own "research" beyond that. So anything "false" get republished over and over and over... And gullible people think that because it's "everywhere" it "must be true".

But you believe everything what a cruise line says 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1