Norovirus is on the Dawn

julig22

11 hours ago, Kazidee said:

Sorry but it’s very true! We are currently stuck in the labourdonnais waterfront hotel in Mauritius waiting to board and got a text to say port authorities won’t allow it until at least Tuesday due to sanitation issues! It’s norovirus, they are struggling to find hotel rooms for us until then on an island this size and feeding us croissants … and even Tuesday not guaranteed as they need clean bill of health for all AND a deep clean of the whole ship, why oh why didn’t they tell us before we set off 26hr ago from uk! Truly disgusting if NCL!!! 

NCL are a shambles must be horrible for all passangers.  We did that cruise a few weeks ago.  We enjoyed the ports despite ncl attempt to ruin the holiday.  Hope it gets sorted 

2 minutes ago, Asawi said:

<sigh> Still not confirmed cholera. Test results are not in yet. If, although unlikely, it is cholera it's more or less certain it has been contracted ashore. Read up on how cholera spreads and you'll understand that.

But by all means, don't sail NCL again. Your choice!

Whatever it is poor passengers.  I will never use ncl again. I'm surprised anyone said with them twice 

11 minutes ago, denise143 said:

NCL are a shambles must be horrible for all passangers.  We did that cruise a few weeks ago.  We enjoyed the ports despite ncl attempt to ruin the holiday.  Hope it gets sorted 

I'm sure as the passengers from the prior cruise were departing the staff stopped their turnaround duties and had a meeting to discuss and plan how to attempt to ruin your holiday.   You must be quite a passenger for that special treatment. 🙄

Edited by Yesimapirate
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

17 minutes ago, denise143 said:

Whatever it is it's horrible for all the passangers.  Hopefully they will get a full refund.  Ncl the fawlty towers of cruise ships but not funny.   Our cruise was a shambles 

You do realize, I hope, that noro is not confined to NCL, or even to cruise ships. It’s an illness that easily spreads in close quarters, including schools and nursing homes. But the media love to go nuts when there’s anything negative to report about a cruise. 

I’m sorry your cruise wasn’t what you’d hoped it would be. 

29 minutes ago, denise143 said:

Whatever it is it's horrible for all the passangers.  Hopefully they will get a full refund.  Ncl the fawlty towers of cruise ships but not funny.   Our cruise was a shambles 

Why would they get a refund? That is one of the silliest things I have heard. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, denise143 said:

Whatever it is poor passengers.  I will never use ncl again. I'm surprised anyone said with them twice 

37 cruises and counting, all with NCL have 4 more booked.  Sorry your cruise was not what you expected.  I have had several very minor issues but never enough to say 
"not again".

Edited by www3traveler
add words for clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Yeah, I was trying to decipher that as well.  Obviously, the passengers who were supposed to board are entitled to refunds (possibly with choice of a partial refund if they stay in an NCL hotel for a few days and then board a shortened itinerary).  Did I read somewhere that NCL is planning to charge the room accounts a premium for those who were invited to extend their time on the ship a few days?  Maybe it was on the mysterious "other place" that I read about so often.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Old news. The current cruise was supposed to end today, Sunday, Feb. 25, and as reported much earlier in this thread, guests were told it will likely be Tuesday before they disembark, because of testing being done by Mauritius. 

5 hours ago, JIMESOPUS said:

We had the unfortunate experience of sailing with Noro on the Pearl TA ( 5/19 ), on the first sea day those little white gift bags made an appearance, the next day we noticed several cabin doors with red tags. It took several days later for the Captain to announce what was going on, he also gave a warning to those in quarantine found wandering around the ship - taken off the ship at the first port.

To see housekeeping entering cabins fully dressed in PPE was unnerving.

The WHO was the reporting agency and unlike the CDC we never really found out how bad it was.

It still amazes me that after COVID folks still don't understand or even care about hygiene. 

We were booked on the cruise immediately following yours on the Pearl's TA.  We read the reports on the CC roll call about the severity of the Norovirus outbreak.  Discretion being the better part of valor, we cancelled our cruise at the last minute and booked a substitute cruise with HAL.  We already were in Europe when we heard about the Pearl's difficulties.  NCL went ahead with the cruise we were supposed to take, but I don't know if that cruise also experienced Norovirus.  NCL did not provide us any compensation for our last minute cancellation (I really didn't expect any}, so we lost a bit of money that wasn't covered by travel insurance.  Fortunately by booking the HAL cruise at the last minute, we got a very good price and were able to continue our tour of Europe. 

I'm really sorry to hear about the problems the passengers on the current and next cruise on the Dawn are experiencing.  At least NCL is offering some assistance with the costs of changing flights.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mistizoom said:

When I posted the USA Today article did say it was a cholera outbreak. It seems like they have edited the article since then to indicate it may be a cholera outbreak.

At least they corrected it. But it is disconcerting how in the rush to get a scoop the media these days will print or post "information" before it can be confirmed.

• Like 2

As someone who was on the ill-fated NCL Spirit cruise from Dubai to Cape Town, in March 2020, when we spent about 15 days at sea with no port willing to accept us I feel that the passengers on this cruise have suffered as much as we did but in a very different way.

To read that:-

image.png.03fd6f8e6ce03caa1f644e3d210e33fc.png

I am totally disgusted if that is all NCL is willing to do in real terms, above the possible " normal" USD300 pp for changing flights, to make up for the "inconvenience".

We were treated very well by NCL after that shambles on the Spirit and I would hope that NCL re-examines that offer to match what was offered those of us on the Spirit.

One further point; although our Spirit cruise was affected by the onset of Covid NO ONE on the ship actually caught Covid while there those of you on this cruise were either affected by or in the presence of some serious gastrointestinal problems no matter what it actually was.   That surely requires that a REAL offer should be made.   Offering 15% off the FARE of a future cruise is FORCING you to take another cruise and pay 85% of the FARE; the 15% will not be taken off any other item which will remain at full cost.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, julig22 said:

As reported on another site, it seems the ship has been quarantined because of norovirus, not able to dock as scheduled. They were due to dock on Sunday, now pushed back until Tuesday. NCL is apparently sending passengers who were scheduled to embark on Sunday to hotels.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/travel/cruises/2024/02/25/norwegian-dawn-quarantine-cholera/72737444007/?fbclid=IwAR3PyiQsGunywvbWEOm1av5rMbIx9eKrCWwKI-Amtr9hWM2JVhj42daB4oo_aem_Adli2S-fV_2Yxk8RE4q7DewTYvYDhfHLY46-nuDEtmxX1xL8Oui0hH5fAd0HqZcnn4o#lt2duddj2zwdoj2f1ji

Who knows. They are just sick. 

6 minutes ago, sunshine55 said:

Last I read they are waiting for results of tests and did not have a confirmation of anything yet.

Precisely.  I wish folks would stop posting rumor and speculation from the media (or elsewhere). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My husband and I were supposed to board Norwegian Dawn yesterday, and luckily were the third and fourth passengers to arrive at the port after they sent the text attached. We have been sent to lagoon attitude hotel on the opposite end of the island. My husband is a consultant microbiologist and infectious diseases doctor and laughed when they said it may be Cholera, considering the ship hadn’t been to east Africa, so the likelihood is that it may be Norovirus, and in a post covid world, there are no excuses for cruise lines having so many outbreaks of something that is easily prevented.

We have had no further update after arriving at the hotel, and when I called NCL, they hung up on me as soon as I mentioned the Norwegian dawn!! We have two further cruises booked with NCL and I’m not sure I ever want to spend our money with them again. 

IMG_1936.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, zqvol said:

Because those who are boarding can't and will spend the next 2 days in a hotel.  Then they will cruise with 2 days short and miss posts.  Don't think they should be charging the full amount.  However doubt ncl wil do anything as they don't seem to are about customer satisfaction 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, denise143 said:

Because those who are boarding can't and will spend the next 2 days in a hotel.  Then they will cruise with 2 days short and miss posts.  Don't think they should be charging the full amount.  However doubt ncl wil do anything as they don't seem to are about customer satisfaction 

You might think it's silly but I imagine the passsngers who spent hard earned money won't.  Not everyone has more money than sense 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Gaycruisecouple99 said:

My husband and I were supposed to board Norwegian Dawn yesterday, and luckily were the third and fourth passengers to arrive at the port after they sent the text attached. We have been sent to lagoon attitude hotel on the opposite end of the island. My husband is a consultant microbiologist and infectious diseases doctor and laughed when they said it may be Cholera, considering the ship hadn’t been to east Africa, so the likelihood is that it may be Norovirus, and in a post covid world, there are no excuses for cruise lines having so many outbreaks of something that is easily prevented.

We have had no further update after arriving at the hotel, and when I called NCL, they hung up on me as soon as I mentioned the Norwegian dawn!! We have two further cruises booked with NCL and I’m not sure I ever want to spend our money with them again. 

IMG_1936.png

I would never cruise with them again.  There organisation is a shambles and they don't seem to are about customer satisfaction 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, denise143 said:

I would never cruise with them again.  There organisation is a shambles and they don't seem to are about customer satisfaction 

I hope you get away and manage to enjoy some of your holiday and are compensated

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, denise143 said:

Um, you were responding to a discussion regarding the people currently on the ship, which is why your post about getting a refund sounds absurd. They are getting onboard credit, they are getting assistance with flight arrangements, $300 towards airfare change fees if they don't have insurance. And a 15% discount on a future cruise. That's in addition to an extended cruise. This information comes from the letter sent to the passengers. Not speculation.

As to those who haven't boarded yet, as of now they will get a prorated refund so only paying for the days they actually cruise, hotel accommodations until they do board, onboard credit, 20% discount on a future cruise. This information comes from the letter sent to the passengers. Not speculation.

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

Um, you were responding to a discussion regarding the people currently on the ship, which is why your post about getting a refund sounds absurd. They are getting onboard credit, they are getting assistance with flight arrangements, $300 towards airfare change fees if they don't have insurance. And a 15% discount on a future cruise. That's in addition to an extended cruise. This information comes from the letter sent to the passengers. Not speculation.

As to those who haven't boarded yet, as of now they will get a prorated refund so only paying for the days they actually cruise, hotel accommodations until they do board, onboard credit, 20% discount on a future cruise. This information comes from the letter sent to the passengers. Not speculation.

Sounds about right on board credit which is probably non refundable - that's what we got when we didn't dock at Madagascar and credit on a future cruise.  Not sure many will take them up on that. Obviously you have enjoyed ncl cruises.  I did not.  To each their own, I'm glad you had a nice time 

• Haha 1

We plan on cruising for many, many years to come. But this just shows how volnurable the rest of the passengers are if ONE person shows up wit a "hidden desease"..... 🤔

But to blame the cruise line as some seem to be doing, is to take it a bit far in my opinion. 

But great that NCL is offering some sort of compencation for the passengers on board that particular cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

We plan on cruising for many, many years to come. But this just shows how volnurable the rest of the passengers are if ONE person shows up wit a "hidden desease"..... 🤔

But to blame the cruise line as some seem to be doing, is to take it a bit far in my opinion. 

But great that NCL is offering some sort of compencation for the passengers on board that particular cruise.

We have spoken to people on board who have said that the cruise were aware of illness almost immediately after departing Cape Town. NCL could have quarantined said guests then and there, to prevent any spread but they have only taken these precautions after being denied entry to Mauritius. Sounds like a greedy company trying to avoid their responsibilities to care for their customers until they have no other choice but to do so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1