Norovirus is on the Dawn

julig22

7 minutes ago, mistertomatoe said:

I wonder if NCL will go to staff served buffet. I believe HAL does this. 

How likely are you to avoid any of this if you just avoid buffets? I've got 43 days of cruising in a two month period coming up.

I think it would definitely help to avoid the buffet.  But you still have to be aware of other "touch points"  -- handrails on stairs, elevator buttons, public restrooms, bar counters, you name it.  Wash your hands often, and do your best not to touch your face. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

It really is, people are filthy animals 

True story, saw a women at the buffet on a cruise a few years ago. Her friend needed her cabin card, the women pulled her card out from her bathing suite bottom, the card was in the crack of her butt 🤢

• Haha 6

14 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

... definitely help to avoid the buffet ... aware of other "touch points"  --  Wash your hands often, and do your best not to touch your face. 

👆  👍  😷  Yes, Yes and Yes - all of these to minimize and mitigate.  We "evaded" norovirus onboard despite our Escape's outbreak, which reached 3% threshold for the official declaration and ratched up infection control measures onboard.  Mandatory hand wash & sanitizing before entering the buffet area.  Crew were dishing out your choice of food items, no direct touching of food / serving trays by passengers and tables were deep cleaned with a 10 (15 ??) minutes wait before the next guests are allowed to sit down & use the clean table.   

Stay tune for more sensationalized news ... now on CNBC this morning 😬 

Oh, don't trust and believe "everything" you read on the internet, borrowing from Bird's infamous line, and, by extension - posted here on CC.  Do your own fact-checking diligence.  Happy (and healthy) cruising ... remember the Avian flu days.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

True story, saw a women at the buffet on a cruise a few years ago. Her friend needed her cabin card, the women pulled her card out from her bathing suite bottom, the card was in the crack of her butt 🤢

I have no words.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, graphicguy said:

NCL (and the other cruise lines) really do have very cautions protocols they practice.  Some people just feel that the protocols don't apply to them.  This seems to be a "cruise thing".  Rules just don't apply with some people.  We read it every day in these threads how some try to circumvent the rules or ignore them entirely.

Well, I was on the Cape Town loop right before this from Feb 1 - Feb 12, and regardless of the protocols that they use, they knew about the illness on that cruise. Lots of people were sick and they were already taking measures, such as keeping condiments away. Really unfortunate that they allowed it to fester than to nip in the bud.

21 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Exactly what additional information should NCL be providing?

It probably would have been appropriate for them to have shared that it spanned multiple itineraries until it came to a head of sufficient severity it could no longer be managed.

20 hours ago, Asawi said:

More info as well in that article.
This measure comes in the wake of 15 passengers being isolated and tested for the disease, some showing mild stomach-related symptoms.

There was a whole lot more than 15 people than that ill on the prior Cape Town loop on Feb 1 - 12. It seemed like every 10th person was complaining about diarrhea .

17 hours ago, denise143 said:

I will never use ncl again. I'm surprised anyone said with them twice 

For other reasons, but certainly now reinforced by this, I am also in the never again Norwegian crowd. I've tried twice and both have been unpleasant. 

8 hours ago, denise143 said:

I would never cruise with them again.  There organisation is a shambles and they don't seem to are about customer satisfaction 

The organization at embarkation, disembarkation, and for excursions was really, really bad, amongst other organizational issues throughout the voyage on the prior Cape Town loop on Feb 1 -12

8 hours ago, denise143 said:

Obviously you have enjoyed ncl cruises.  I did not.  To each their own, I'm glad you had a nice time 

Sing it. I'm in your camp.

8 hours ago, TrumpyNor said:

But this just shows how volnurable the rest of the passengers are if ONE person shows up wit a "hidden desease"..... 🤔

But to blame the cruise line as some seem to be doing, is to take it a bit far in my opinion. 

The bigger issue from my perspective is that they knew that they had a problem because there was a whole bunch of people sick on the prior Cape Town loop Feb 1 - 12 that I was on, as evidenced by the measures that they took.

7 hours ago, Gaycruisecouple99 said:

We have spoken to people on board who have said that the cruise were aware of illness almost immediately after departing Cape Town. NCL could have quarantined said guests then and there, to prevent any spread but they have only taken these precautions after being denied entry to Mauritius. Sounds like a greedy company trying to avoid their responsibilities to care for their customers until they have no other choice but to do so.

Concur, they knew it about ton the prior Cape Town loop from Feb 1 - 12. As someone else posted in this thread, the Dawn took the measures of removing condiments, placing more sanitizer around, etc. They knew that they was an issue then.

41 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Personally, I'd be very irritated at the person who lied on their health questionnaire and spread Noro on the ship.  OF course, who knows who that was.  But, these procedures and there for a reason.

I'd be more irritated at the staff for not taking action when they knew that there was an issue on the prior loop...if not before.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

And, exactly how would that have made a bit of difference?

Rather than them appearing to hide it like they did, it could have had a semblance of responsibility and care taking to document that they were aware on the prior itinerary that x or some y estimate of people were ill and that they took a,b, and c measures to try to manage the illness. The specific measures that they employed were d, e, and f. Unfortunately, the illness spread beyond our manualized caution procedures, and spread aggressively. At least that would sound like they were trying to be responsible. In my estimation (which of course any and everyone is free to completely discard) they covered it up to prioritize profits over people.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Allograft said:

I'd be more irritated at the staff for not taking action when they knew that there was an issue on the prior loop...if not before.

SMDH.  What?  This is all turning into, at best, a rumor mongering exercise, at worst, a total indictment when there is zero in the way of facts!!!!!!

But, y'all carry on.  I'm sure this will get even more "out there" with some of these comments.

Going to get some popcorn and watch (read)!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Allograft said:

Rather than them appearing to hide it like they did, it could have had a semblance of responsibility and care taking to document that they were aware on the prior itinerary that x or some y estimate of people were ill and that they took a,b, and c measures to try to manage the illness. The specific measures that they employed were d, e, and f. Unfortunately, the illness spread beyond our manualized caution procedures, and spread aggressively. At least that would sound like they were trying to be responsible. In my estimation (which of course any and everyone is free to completely discard) they covered it up to prioritize profits over people.

NCL should have kicked those who brought the virus on board off the ship.  That would have taken care of this once and for all.  And, I consider that to be the responsible thing to do to protect the others on board.

Let's role with that!

Edited by graphicguy

7 hours ago, schnubbi62 said:

If all 10 of the 10 participants in the discussion here adhered to the hygiene regulations, then these problems would not exist at all.

Do not know if this is exactly true. DW is a germaphobe. She refuses to eat at any buffet, washes her hands til they are raw and she came down with noro and covid in May on Nieu Amsterdam which had a CDC VSP score of 98. We think we narrowed it down to a bread basket passed from table to table? I did not eat the rolls.

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

OMG, I hope that is something i just read on the internet that is not true.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, ontheweb said:

OMG, I hope that is something i just read on the internet that is not true.

No, unfortunately I can't unsee it LOL

I would have liked to see the look on my face 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

No, unfortunately I can't unsee it LOL

I would have liked to see the look on my face 

I was not disbelieving you, or calling you a liar. It was just something I (and I hope everyone) would hope does not happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I was not disbelieving you, or calling you a liar. It was just something I (and I hope everyone) would hope does not happen.

I've seen some people do some pretty gross things at the buffet. The worse is one someone picks up a piece of food, usually something baked. They sniff it and put it back......🤢

If you touch food you own it, it doesn't get put back

Edited by Laszlo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

NCL should have kicked those who brought the virus on board off the ship.  That would have taken care of this once and for all.  And, I consider that to be the responsible thing to do to protect the others on board.

Let's role with that!

What method of torture do you recommend to get the culprits to confess?

Threaten to take away their ration of hash browns and cookies?

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

What method of torture do you recommend to get the culprits to confess?

Threaten to take away their ration of hash browns and cookies?

I actually wouldn't have an issue if NCL insisted on taking passenger temps before boarding, like they did after the restart.  Any elevated temps, and you're denied boarding.....PERIOD!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I actually wouldn't have an issue if NCL insisted on taking passenger temps before boarding, like they did after the restart.  Any elevated temps, and you're denied boarding.....PERIOD!

agree so much now is reactive and only when there is so much illness does  it get to media or   prevents countries from letting them dock.

Edited by kathy49
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don't  have a problem with that either, but two points

1, noro has an incubation period of several days so one might be infected without a temp.

2, if denied boarding, 100% refund plus travel expenses to/from port.

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

In May of 2022 we had just arrived at port in Seattle to board the Bliss for our AK cruise.  Outside the terminal they were handing out flyers which stated that the previous cruise had a >2% outbreak of Norovirus and they were required by the CDC to inform passengers.  We were offered a full refund (don’t know if it was FCC or refund).

Well, we thought “what are the chances” and we boarded.  Two days in and Hubby was soooo sick.  He saw AK from the bed in a balcony cabin.  I saw AK from the balcony.

If you have never had noro, you have no idea how viscous this illness is.  If you have…we’ll then you know.

I would be thinking long and hard about whether I would be willing to board the Dawn…and I hope they are offered the option to cancel without penalty.

P.s.  We have a fairly good idea that he picked up the germ in the Observation Lounge soft seating which had a sour smell as if vomit may have been present at one time.  So, it really can happen to even those who are diligent with hand washing and personal hygiene.

Also went on the Bliss in mid May of 2022, could have been the same cruise.  I don't remember getting any notice but I do remember waiting outside of the terminal for hours because they were scrubbing down the ship due to noro on the previous cruise, so delayed boarding.  Pretty sure they had "noro" protocols in place, at least at the beginning - no condiments on the tables, servers in the buffet, staff cleaning the handrails etc. Not the first time I've been on a ship under those conditions, fortunately I've not gotten sick onboard.

39 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

What about those who may have elevated temps not from a virus? Denied? 

• Like 1