Solo get togethers only for solo travellers?

FangedRose

I often see posts on here (and other places) from people who are worried about cruising for the first time without a partner. Even though they state that they are travelling with family or friends they are often advised to attend the solo get togethers.

I am in two minds about this. A tea and biscuit isn't going to bankrupt P&O so why not? But, these meetings are for solo travellers (those who are travelling alone) to meet up to arrange port visits, evening activities and such like and, if you are with friends and family you are not a solo traveller. I'v witnessed the situation where sisters, sharing a cabin, have attended. On the other hand, I have met more than a few solo travellers who had left their partners at home for a myriad of reasons. Single does not mean solo, and solo does not mean single.

What are others thoughts. Should those who are not solo travellers be "allowed" to gatecrash these get togethers. Should more of a difference be made between single and solo.

I have not been in tis position but if I was travelling with a friend or sister I might very well want to go to the solo meet ups to meet new people. My companion might not want to go to them. If I was travelling alone but with family again I might want to go to the meet ups. I do not want to be reliant on my family or  a companion for company. But I agree there needs to be more clarity.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

I often see posts on here (and other places) from people who are worried about cruising for the first time without a partner. Even though they state that they are travelling with family or friends they are often advised to attend the solo get togethers.

I am in two minds about this. A tea and biscuit isn't going to bankrupt P&O so why not? But, these meetings are for solo travellers (those who are travelling alone) to meet up to arrange port visits, evening activities and such like and, if you are with friends and family you are not a solo traveller. I'v witnessed the situation where sisters, sharing a cabin, have attended. On the other hand, I have met more than a few solo travellers who had left their partners at home for a myriad of reasons. Single does not mean solo, and solo does not mean single.

What are others thoughts. Should those who are not solo travellers be "allowed" to gatecrash these get togethers. Should more of a difference be made between single and solo.

To my mind, that is splitting hairs. Is Aunty June whose husband passed away last year Solo?. First holiday tagging on to another parties holiday. All a bit unkind in my humble opinion.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 5

I am somewhat intrigued as to how this could be policed. Would everyone attending these events have to provide P&O with a sworn statement that they are solo (whatever that definition is)?

36 minutes ago, david63 said:

I am somewhat intrigued as to how this could be policed. Would everyone attending these events have to provide P&O with a sworn statement that they are solo (whatever that definition is)?

Back in the day when these get togethers were hosted I did observe the host have a quiet word with some people who had entered together, sat together, only spoke to each other etc. They didn't come back.

But maybe, don't advertise it in The Horizon but give invitations to those who are travelling alone and whose bookings are not linked with another party.

It’s a hard one. I’ve attended quite a few over the years on Aurora. Most attendees have been solo travellers in their own cabin. Some have travelled with friends who are in another cabin and some are sharing a cabin with a friend. I can only think of two instances where a husband and wife attended. Imo, only the latter is wrong.

• Like 3

I always sail solo except once a year when I cruise with either one or both daughters and sometimes their partners. I have never been to an solo event or shared a table it’s just not my thing. The once a year I sail with my family we more or less do everything together or in combinations of the group. The rest of time I am on my own. I think it might be off putting if there were lots people there who were not really travelling on their own. I think it’s a good idea for people who do want to make new friends and have someone  to perhaps spend time with. Me I am too stuck in my ways and enjoy my own company even at meal times. If you are on your own in a cabin and not on a linked booking it would be very easy for P & O to offer personal invites. 

• Like 4

Surely depends on the definition of "solo".  On a couple of cruises, one on P&O and one on Cunard I have had "singles" on my dinner table who although adults are travelling with and sharing a cabin with their parents for cost reasons.  Both of these people were men in their 30's and although technically not alone they liked to attend the solo meet ups as they didn't want to spend every hour in the company of their parents.  Neither of these sets of parents required looking after, the arrangements were purely financial to take advantage of special rates on 3rd/4th passengers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FangedRose said:

Back in the day when these get togethers were hosted I did observe the host have a quiet word with some people who had entered together, sat together, only spoke to each other etc. They didn't come back.

But maybe, don't advertise it in The Horizon but give invitations to those who are travelling alone and whose bookings are not linked with another party.

If its a friends of Dorothy evening, what would the quiet word be. All a bit trivial.

2 hours ago, Angel57 said:

It’s a hard one. I’ve attended quite a few over the years on Aurora. Most attendees have been solo travellers in their own cabin. Some have travelled with friends who are in another cabin and some are sharing a cabin with a friend. I can only think of two instances where a husband and wife attended. Imo, only the latter is wrong.

I agree.

You could be traveling with family or friends but that doesn't mean you do everything with them. They might go off on excusions perhaps which are too active for you or even that you can't afford or you just want to give them their own space.  Plus if you are single you might meet someone either romantically or just as a friend perhaps to cruise with again. 

If you are not with your partner or proper family unit ( I.e. parents and young/teen children) you can definitely be classed asca solo traveller. That would just be mean to exclude someone. 

• Like 7

Solo meet ups are great for those, especially new cruisers, who are looking for company and maybe people to dine with or go ashore together. I have been travelling solo for about 15 years and prefer to do my own thing so have never attended one in 77 cruises. However, I like to share a table when dining and find I meet people just by being sociable. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, david63 said:

Yer can't come in eer. Ya aren't solo enough. Get a certificate.

• Haha 2

What about a single parent traveling with a young child?  If the child spends a lot of time in the kids club the parent is on their own.  I can see how they might want to find a group of adults to hang out with. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stinkyharriet said:

What about a single parent traveling with a young child?  If the child spends a lot of time in the kids club the parent is on their own.  I can see how they might want to find a group of adults to hang out with. 

Lots of very good reasons.  I can't understand why folk wish to put restrictions on. If you attend a LBGT+ event you may  be asked.....prove it.!!.

5 hours ago, stinkyharriet said:

Interesting point. I don't hear a lot here about single parents. I would think the vast majority are too young, too broke, and too busy for cruising (and this board). But if they can put the ankle biter away for a few hours, then I'd accept them at a solo gathering.

As for the OP's questions, I've thought some about this. Are a group of co-workers traveling together solo if they each have their own cabins? What if they don't? What about people who are sharing a cabin but matched together somehow? I'm inclined to consider them all as solos for most purposes, but I do sometimes go back and forth about this.

There seems to me to be four main reasons for solos to gather:

1. To figure out the logistics of dining together

2. To find a partner for excursions and/or other events

3. General session to talk and bond

4. Those who want to mingle, if you know what I mean 😛

I would have thought that gathering all of these groups together would be good for attendance, but it really isn't. Outside of NCL's solo gatherings, I've mostly heard of poor attendance at solo get togethers. I often suggest splitting these sessions, but none of the cruise lines really have done much implementation of this. Things can change, we'll see.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:26 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

Are a group of co-workers traveling together solo if they each have their own cabins? What if they don't? What about people who are sharing a cabin but matched together somehow? I'm inclined to consider them all as solos for most purposes, but I do sometimes go back and forth about this.

I consider myself travelling solo, even if I know other people on the cruise.  I might have friends on board, but I make my own arrangements, have my own cabin, and choose my own excursions (or not).  The last time I was on the same cruise as friends, we sometimes chose to dine separately, each eating with different people we'd met on board. 

• Like 1

I've shared cabins with other women who I did not know prior to the cruise. And even if I did, if we both are single, I think we both qualify. People like to meet other people. And it isn't like there is any harm. On my last HAL cruise, there was exactly 1 solo meet up in the 2 week cruise. Considering the cruise was in Asia, Andi knew no one, I found that very disappointing. Further, HAL always schedules it so if you have late sitting, you can't make it. 

On 3/16/2024 at 2:46 AM, Lee Jones Jnr said:

The blurring of single and solo

What blurring?  Single is unmarried, and solo is a description of someone currently without company. 

If it makes you feel any better - even though I cruise solo, I don't go to solo gatherings. 

2 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

What blurring?  Single is unmarried, and solo is a description of someone currently without company. 

If it makes you feel any better - even though I cruise solo, I don't go to solo gatherings. 

I'm aware what single and solo mean. You don't think there is a difference between a singles night and a solo night? As far as I am aware no cruises actually do any singles events.

• Like 1

Funny after reading this post I went to my RCCL app and lists the event as Singles & Solo Meet up.   I have never attended one and I fall into both categories (Widower who still travels).. Who knows maybe I will check out the next one when I am on the ship, they are at 7pm which is when I normally dine. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have attended these events on Cunard and they are wonderful.  They are well attended and you meet some nice passengers.  I am sailing solo most of the time but do sail with friends.  I still attend as we are both sailing single. We did have lunch with some of the group and I have also matched up with ones that were on the same excursions.  I do not think there should be any difference in single or solo.  Enjoy your cruise and attend a meeting, you will enjoy it.

• Like 1