Secret Sockets

I was reading an article about secret sockets to plug in electronics and such. Some are under the bed or in a closet. Has anyone discovered these hidden treasures?

Can you provide a link to the article? It somehow doesn't seem logical for a cruise line to go to the expense of installing power outlets in cabins but placing them in locations where they are hidden and can't be used.

• Like 1

We found a charger on the base of a table lamp on one of the HAL ships.  Could have been a signature suite on Nieuw Amsterdam.  Almost the end of the cruise when we discovered it.

If you can get behind the tv you may find an unused socket. Also behind the fridge but both of these are difficult to reach and rarely have an extra.  Best bet is to bring a power strip

Thanks for all your responses! It was a random article I was reading, and cannot now find it. But it mentioned the crew used these secret sockets to plug-in vacuum cleaners and such, especially when all the other accessible outlets are being used by the passengers.

as @Mary229 said, behind the TV on Volendam (and probably Zaandam). This is a picture of behind the TV in an outside cabin on Volendam. The European power strip was already there with only the TV plugged in. The other two plugs are in use by my laptop, and a USB charger

image.thumb.png.fa98780b84d872d6a9e328912e25a44b.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachfrog said:

Thanks for all your responses! It was a random article I was reading, and cannot now find it. But it mentioned the crew used these secret sockets to plug-in vacuum cleaners and such, especially when all the other accessible outlets are being used by the passengers.

Crew will use outlets most readily available and they will absolutely unplug passenger items. For safety concerns, some ships advise items are to be charged only when a person is present, so no surprise if you return to your cabin to see your tablets etc unplugged and not charging. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, colin v said:

I bring adapters and use the European plugs

I do that too. My adapters also have usb outlets built in to them. Very handy. 

I suspect most of the "hidden" outlets are on the older ships and used when the ship was new but served things like TV's that were moved to new locations, or were duplex outlets what only were connected to one appliance.

Roy

• Like 3