I need insurance cancel for any reason

Does anyone know a policy/company that has a good "cancel for any reason", our reason starts in May and not sure if we are getting to go for health reason.  I always buy insurance, just haven't yet with too many things going on - how much does it usually cost - thanks

In the US insurance is regulated by each state so what's available for you for your purpose may not be the same as someone in another state.  In some states acquiring insurance on short notice for a cruise that is close may have a lot of restrictions.  

Typically you need to buy the insurance very soon after booking in order to get CFAR.  Within 30 days or less depending on carrier.  Cost will depend on the amount/cost of your trip that you are insuring.  Read the details of the policy.

Did you check out the forum here named Cruise/Travel Insurance?  It might be helpful.  Or the best advice is to call one of the insurance brokers like Insure My Trip and talk to them directly about options for your situation and needs.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hollon said:

Does anyone know a policy/company that has a good "cancel for any reason", our reason starts in May and not sure if we are getting to go for health reason.

18 minutes ago, cruisegirl1976 said:

Cancel for any reason usually has to be purchased within 14days of the initial booking.

22 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You might be too late.

While I agree with what both @cruisegirl1976 and @mjkacmom say as these comments are accurate, the OP indicates (as quoted above) that the reason they may need CFAR insurance starts in May.  I may be incorrect, but that indicates to me that maybe is when addressing the medical concerns commence, not the time the cruise commences? Perhaps the OP can clarify.

To their question, Travel Insured and Alianz both offer CFAR policies, but with stipulations on date of purchased relative to cruise date of initial deposit.  @TeeRick also provides a good suggestion.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

If you cannot go for a health reason, then that may be something covered by cancellation insurance, but you would, like CFAR, have purchased that before the health reason came up, or it would be a pre-existing and probably not covered.

That is likely why you want CFAR but that will depend on, as others have said, when you purchased the cruise.  CFAR is generally - not always but generally - through the cruise line or the tour operator.  There are policies out there that offer CFAR but they are expensive and they generally don't give you full money back.

• 5 weeks later...

My cruise agent said we do not need to take the insurance until we make final payment for the cruise. Currently have a 10% deposit down. This has always been the rule. Sometimes trips are booked years in advance, with deposit only.

18 minutes ago, CardowMD said:

My cruise agent said we do not need to take the insurance until we make final payment for the cruise. Currently have a 10% deposit down. This has always been the rule. Sometimes trips are booked years in advance, with deposit only.

I'm not sure what your specific point is, so perhaps you could clarify...?

First, is your "cruise agent" a travel insurance agent or broker?  If not, they may well not understand all of the "fine print", which can matter a LOT.

Second, "to take the insurance..." does not necessarily imply "the insurance" includes CFAR coverage.  There are other types of coverage, more common ones, that work as you describe it, "by final payment".

Many of us book years in advance, with the deposit only.  There is nothing special about that.

However, IF we want CFAR coverage, we then also must start the travel insurance with "CFAR" within 10-20 days of the FIRST PAYMENT (e.g., that deposit).  The reason for the range of days is that it varies by state of residence.

The rest of the insurance can be added in stages if desired, as additional cruise payments are added.

GC

2 hours ago, CardowMD said:

If you are sailing with Holland America and want to buy their CFAR, WITH a refundable deposit, buy it just before any penalty starts. This is usually at final payment but some longer cruises it is a month or so before. If you have a non-refundable deposit, you must buy the Cruise Cancellation Protection at the same time. There are two levels, Standard pays back 80% of fare; Platinum 90% and has medical coverage although probably not enough! Cash not credit.

I am not an insurance broker or agent, but I did just do this between October (when I bought the policy) and February (when I cancelled the cruise, 24 hours before sailaway.

On 4/12/2024 at 5:12 PM, CardowMD said:

I can't say that is the rule. It depends on the insurance and the individual person.

There are definitely reasons to buy insurance early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I can't say that is the rule. It depends on the insurance and the individual person.

There are definitely reasons to buy insurance early.

Especially to cover preexisting conditions.

• Like 2

We often purchase our TC/TI policy as soon as we have purchased/paid our air line tickets.  Then, we add-on to our plan for the cruise final payment. Only caveat is the insurance company's 60 day stability for medical reasons (change in medication, etc.) starts over each time you add on to the policy. 

10 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

We often purchase our TC/TI policy as soon as we have purchased/paid our air line tickets.  Then, we add-on to our plan for the cruise final payment. Only caveat is the insurance company's 60 day stability for medical reasons (change in medication, etc.) starts over each time you add on to the policy. 

The stability part of policies is something that I am really focused on now.

We buy an annual package.  Our annual package expired April 5th.  This is JUST for TC/TI and does not include medical.  

This policy enforces a 3 month / 90 day stability period against the renewal date each year which means any pre-existing conditions must be stable from January 5, 2024 to April 5 2024 or the pre-existing conditions will not be covered during that policy year.

I had a medication change mid-April- the medication was stopped because I have been stable for 3 years and in my doctor's eyes I don't need the medication now.  Because of this, I would not not meet the stability requirements for the entire policy year.

Because of this we are delaying the re-purchase of the annual plan to mid-July so that I will be past any pre-existing condition stability period.

Crazy that you have to dig in so deep to understand what is covered and what is not.

Many people in my circle of travelling friends don't understand that the stoppage of a medication or reduction or increase of dose makes you "unstable".

Now, in response to your statement that adding to a policy changes stability - I have to investigate that...