Is Hideaway Beach Worth it? - CocoCay

Considering booking Hideaway Beach for Mid-September. It is about $60pp. I am wondering if it is worth paying for it. We love just sitting by the regular pool but the water is always freezing. I heard that the pool in Hideaway is heated. We are very happy with the Snack Shack free food, so I don't know if the food in Hideaway is a draw. So, I ask the experts on Cruise Critic, "Is it worth it"?

1 hour ago, artvlay said:

Considering booking Hideaway Beach for Mid-September. It is about $60pp. I am wondering if it is worth paying for it. We love just sitting by the regular pool but the water is always freezing. I heard that the pool in Hideaway is heated. We are very happy with the Snack Shack free food, so I don't know if the food in Hideaway is a draw. So, I ask the experts on Cruise Critic, "Is it worth it"?

“Worth” is relative. 
We went to Hideaway Beach last week, we paid $29.99 on a Black Friday sale. At that price I would do it again; not sure if I would pay $60. 
The pool was heated and very comfortable, the food is a push, pretty much the same as the rest of the island’s free offerings (there was some “upgraded pizza”)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

“Worth” is relative. 

This.

We passed at $19.99pp b/c we don't value a heated pool, we love the regular included food, and my wife wouldn't even try any of the additional food items at Hideaway b/c she's picky. I'd rather spend $40 at Playmakers or Mason Jar. At $60pp? I'd sooner have dinner at a specialty restaurant than spend it on Hideaway Beach.

Everyone values things differently.

• Like 2

If you like being in the water, I think it is worth it in the cooler months. I was at Coco Cay today. The Oasis Lagoon pool was freezing but the pool water in HB was perfect. However, I wouldn’t pay much more than the $21.99 PP I have paid both times I went there. Also, keep in mind I live in Florida so what I consider cold water is possibly different than someone who lives up North. 

Agree with all of the above and keep in mind how it is marketed:

Nonstop Beats on the Beach

There is truth in advertising here and there were "beats" all day from the time I arrived at 9am until I left for Chill Island at 2pm to give my ears a rest.  You can find a somewhat quieter chair all the way down the beach, but you can never fully escape the DJ.  So just know what you are getting into.

The food options were different, but I didn't find them to be all that special.  I liked the "upgraded" pizza toppings but didn't think the overall pizza was much better than Sorrento's.  The best thing I had was the coconut shrimp basket.

I had a good time and would do it again for the right price.  In your case $60 seems a bit high and the heated pool may not really be needed in Mid-September.  Just my two cents.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Just back from a cruise to Coco Cay.  Didn't do HB but would at least consider it for the following reasons:

Lagoon pool was pretty cold- (although in Sept. it should be summer warm, so maybe not an issue?)

With two ships at Coco Cay and to spite what some reviews say, I felt it was pretty crowded.  I can't imagine it with more than two ships if that ends up happening!  If you can find lounge chairs at HB any time of the day (not sure if this is the case?), it would allow you to enjoy a beach early in the day when loungers are easy to get, and then migrate to the pool area later.  When we transitioned to the Lagoon pool after lunch, we were lucky to get a single lounger for four of us to share.  Of course 90% of loungers were actually empty but with towels- but again this was with two ships in port.

Edited by irun5k

I was at CocoCay on March 4 with Radiance and Wonder was in port with us (unlucky for Wonder, they arrived after us and left one hour before us 🤷‍♂️).  Radiance+Oasis Class is not quite Oasis+Oasis/Icon but, this was my experience...

I made my way to Hideaway Beach by 9am and all of the chairs around the pool were already taken and it remained packed at least at until I left at 2pm.  Not sure if the pool area thins out later in the day.

The beach on the other hand was pretty wide open at 9am and I was able to score a front row seat way down the beach (away from the DJ) as my parking spot for the day:

image.thumb.jpeg.6b457d8d206f08f21ab2f2e09b7156d7.jpeg

The beach area is rather large and at least on this day, it looked like chairs were always available.  Maybe not right by the water but I always saw empty seats around.  I did duck out from time to time for food/drink and to take a dip in the pool (it was WARM) and had no fear my chair would be taken (left nothing of value of course).

I made my way to Chill Island by 2:30 PM and it was basically deserted. Probably because Wonder had an all-aboard time of 3:30 so people were already leaving.

For an upcharge I would HOPE they limit it so Hideway does not go above capacity, but we shall see.  I would love to hear some firsthand experience with two Oasis class ships in port (or Icon) especially as we get into the summer months.

It is very popular. 

I love Hideaway beach as it has moved the loud frat part away from the main pool  to Hideaway beach.  Finally, I can enjoy a nice drink at the Oasis pool bar without a super loud DJ and I can actually get a drink without cramming through 4 people deep at the bar.  

Plus, now the pool bar is nearly empty, so bar service is great. 

M

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

It is very popular. 

I love Hideaway beach as it has moved the loud frat part away from the main pool  to Hideaway beach.  Finally, I can enjoy a nice drink at the Oasis pool bar without a super loud DJ and I can actually get a drink without cramming through 4 people deep at the bar.  

M

Now all they have to do is heat the Oasis pool

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

It is very popular. 

M

There is no DJ at Oasis Pool now or just quieter?

23 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

I was there last week and unless I was the wrong (or right!) area of the Oasis Pool, I didn't hear or see a DJ or loud music.   There were a good number of people but pretty chill for the most part.  The area around the swim up bar was 95% adults as you'd expect but I didn't have any "party atmosphere" concerns, traveling with our two kids.  The bar was pretty full but had plenty of bartenders and basically no wait for a drink.

The last time I was at Coco Cay was the late 90's so I don't have anything relevant to compare my recent experience to.

23 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Now all they have to do is heat the Oasis pool

Would love that but, that pool is so massive I doubt they would spend the money for it.  Hope I'm wrong.

22 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

I wandered by Oasis Lagoon after leaving Hideaway and the music was still loud enough that I noticed it.  But for the short time I was there it was more "easy listening / pop" than "club / dance" music.  It was definitely not the party I recall from past visits there.  Seats were available at the swim up bar.

image.thumb.jpeg.04f3addc2d18e11a2f05a97c5afbc51f.jpeg

24 minutes ago, RogerDodger247 said:

I wandered by Oasis Lagoon after leaving Hideaway and the music was still loud enough that I noticed it.  But for the short time I was there it was more "easy listening / pop" than "club / dance" music.  It was definitely not the party I recall from past visits there.  Seats were available at the swim up bar.

Thanks, which makes sense not to create two duplicate environments.  I would expect though that the Oasis lagoon will be busier when the water is warm, but probably not the same atmosphere as before Hideaway beach. 

I was at Hideaway in Feb on Odyssey. Wonder was there as well. It was fabulous. The heated pool and adults only was very worth it for me. Now I only paid $34 and would not pay much more. I got there a little after 9am and got one of the last loungers in the front at the pool. I also ventured over to South beach and Oasis lagoon later in the day and the water was absolutely freezing. I was kicking myself for giving up my Hideaway lounger. Btw I noticed the drinks were stronger at Hideaway than on the ship.

We were there on March 8th with Icon, the other ship with us in port that day was Mariner.  We arrived at Hideaway at 9am and there were still a lot of chairs available everywhere.  We picked a nice shaded set of chairs under an umbrella right by the pool.  

We loved are time there and highly recommend it.  The music is not as loud as it was when they opened it, Royal has said they listened and turned it down a little bit.  To me sound is all very subjective...some people will claim it is super loud and other will not.  We didn't find it too loud.  But on that note, there is space to get away from the DJ music all together.  Goto the On the Rocks bar and listen to the house band....or go all the way to the end of the area to enjoy a quiet area.  You have options.

As far as the pool goes....to us it was just a tad too warm.  We had to leave to goto the Oasis pool at around 1:30 or so.  It was a warm day...lots of sun, just too hot for that.  The oasis pool was cooler and felt more refreshing.  It will be interesting to see if they keep it that warm in the middle of summer!!  The pool never really felt crowded like it used to get at the Oasis pool...just seemed like more room and overall less people in the pool to us.  

Food was Coco Cay food...it will do.  I def think it was a step up from what is offered on the island currently, but nothing that you will go "OMG that was good!"  It is just functional.

So at $60.00 a person...Depends on my cruise I guess.  It is a break from everyone else...especially if your on a cruise with a ton of kids and you just need a break lol.  I would say the sweet spot is around $30.00 per person.  We enjoyed it, we will do it again and we recommend it.  

Side note...they pulled the DJ booth totally out of the Oasis pool area.

5 hours ago, Sail2k said:

Side note...they pulled the DJ booth totally out of the Oasis pool area.

Interesting since they flat out said they weren't planning on doing that a few months back

• Like 2

I just cancelled our Hideaway reservations for our Apr 4 Vision Cruise. After watching review videos, we decided it's a no.   We'll just do our usual pool lounger in the shade near food and bathrooms.  

• Like 1

I'm aware that my worth-it-meter is set lower than other people's, but I'd pay no more than $30 to go to Hideaway Beach ONLY IF it were winter, and I wanted the heated pool.  

I am not motivated by adults-only, pizza or music (in fact, I'd go early enough to get a place on the far edge away from the DJ).