Flam Railway Norwegian Fjords

sally4909

We will be on the Apex to the Norwegian fjords and planning to take the Flam Railway to the top of the fjord. Looking at pricing, it is $69 pp round trip to book directly with the Flam Railway and almost $200 per person to book Celebrity’s excursion. Celebrity may offer their own trains and do include a waffle breakfast and staying at the top for 60-90 minutes before returning to the train to head back down. If we are to book directly with Flam Railway, how long do we have at the top before we have to be back on the Train to return? Is there time to get a cup of coffee or use the facilities? One reviewer said because the train was running late, they were told not to get off the train , at all. Other reviewers say not much to see at the top so need to get off the train. Hoping that some of you who have done direct booking with Flam Railway or taking Celebrity’s excursion will have some input. Thanks so much.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sally4909 said:

We will be on the Apex to the Norwegian fjords and planning to take the Flam Railway to the top of the fjord. Looking at pricing, it is $69 pp round trip to book directly with the Flam Railway and almost $200 per person to book Celebrity’s excursion. Celebrity may offer their own trains and do include a waffle breakfast and staying at the top for 60-90 minutes before returning to the train to head back down. If we are to book directly with Flam Railway, how long do we have at the top before we have to be back on the Train to return? Is there time to get a cup of coffee or use the facilities? One reviewer said because the train was running late, they were told not to get off the train , at all. Other reviewers say not much to see at the top so need to get off the train. Hoping that some of you who have done direct booking with Flam Railway or taking Celebrity’s excursion will have some input. Thanks so much.

They are the same trains, parts of each train are reserved for ship groups and otherbparts for individual bookings. Schedules are the same no matter if you book direct or via ship. They all stop at the waterfall for about 15 min and on top for about 30 min. 

• Like 2

We purchased a one-way ticket on the train and then walked the trail down and back to the ship. This was one of our most gorgeous, fabulous hikes ever!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sally4909 said:

we booked the train that departed before the cruise ships excursion. Walked from the ship to the station. When we got back discovered there was really nothing to do in Flam - we eventually took a sightseeing boat to the other side of the Fjord and came back on a regular bus. 

On our cruise, the Celebrity excursion participants had to walk up hill on snow covered grass to get their waffle. All of us in the cheap (tickets bought from the railway) seats watched in awe. None of us thought a waffle was worth it…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sheeng said:

We purchased a one-way ticket on the train and then walked the trail down and back to the ship. This was one of our most gorgeous, fabulous hikes ever!

We purchase a one-way ticket and biked down to the ship. Not for the faint of heart. Next time I would choose to hike down. 

Edited by scrapcreator

One reason we booked the train through the ship is that, especially during the summer months (which is when we are going, July 2025) is that the train can sell out and I am not going to Norway one time and risk missing this thing. I am a train buff and this is a major bucket list item for me.

18 minutes ago, Dolby1000 said:

One reason we booked the train through the ship is that, especially during the summer months (which is when we are going, July 2025) is that the train can sell out and I am not going to Norway one time and risk missing this thing. I am a train buff and this is a major bucket list item for me.

I hope you have in your bucket list the Skagway train in Alaska.  It is great and do it in May or June with some snow still on the mountains

24 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I hope you have in your bucket list the Skagway train in Alaska.  It is great and do it in May or June with some snow still on the mountains

Taking a tour of the entire Alaska Rail system is a definite bucket list item, such a trip is very pricey though.

4 minutes ago, Dolby1000 said:

Taking a tour of the entire Alaska Rail system is a definite bucket list item, such a trip is very pricey though.

well there is a difference between the upper area near Anchorage and Denali, and the Skagway train which is strictly sightseeing.

The upper area has many combinations out of Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dolby1000 said:

If you book the train directly in advance your travel is guaranteed as well.

4 hours ago, plutosmom said:

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, plutosmom said:

I’m in the same situation.  Thanks for sharing,  So, am I understanding the Celebrity waffle breakfast “at the top” would be approx 30 min and not 60-90 min?? 

For this waffle trip they take the next train back down so you have a longer stop.

18 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

For this waffle trip they take the next train back down so you have a longer stop.

I believe I would enjoy that excursion.  😋

• Haha 1

I believe that the train reservations open about 90 days out for the public.  When we went we just booked out tickets the day booking opened.  We saw the same sights and it was easy to just walk over.  The waffle breakfast sounds like fun but that is a lot of money for waffles..... OP could alway book the ship's excursion as a back up and then book directly when booking opens.  If they get the private tickets, just cancel the ship tickets.

• Thanks 1

Flam is a lovely village,,good shopping and a brew pub to try the local brew.

It is easy to book the train online,,,,there is a little Noddy train for a short trip up and down the valley.

Here is a photo,,,the train is just ahead of the electric ferry in the photo.

one of the ferries seen is battery powered and does trips up the fiord.

IMG_2040.thumb.jpeg.a0955a5ce0344ed683bb50500272a358.jpeg

Thanks for all your responses. Many good suggestions. One question not yet answered is if train is booked directly with the Flam Railway, how long is the stop at the top? Is there time to get off for a few minutes to get a cup of coffee and use the facilities?

i think I would enjoy the Celebrity excursion, but not at their price.

12 minutes ago, sally4909 said:

Thanks for all your responses. Many good suggestions. One question not yet answered is if train is booked directly with the Flam Railway, how long is the stop at the top? Is there time to get off for a few minutes to get a cup of coffee and use the facilities?

i think I would enjoy the Celebrity excursion, but not at their price.

I believe the turnarounf time is about one hour.  We booked our own tickets a few years ago and had zero issues with the trip and especially enjoyed bypassing the cruise ship crowd.

Sally, I think Post #2 said the stop at the top was about 30 min and Post #6 indicated there was a walk up the hill to the hotel where I'm purely guessing you could buy coffee.

I have a question: Is the referenced hike down to the train station to where you boarded?  How many miles?  (Well, 2 questions - lol).
Thank you everyone all for your help! 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I believe the turnarounf time is about one hour.  We booked our own tickets a few years ago and had zero issues with the trip and especially enjoyed bypassing the cruise ship crowd.

Correction:  it looks like the turnaround time is about 12 minutes.  Sorry about that.

flamsbana_timetable_10122023_2024.pdf

Edited by d9704011

We both can’t remember exactly but around a couple of hours. At times we were in sight of the railroad track but not always. We were mostly sauntering and enjoying the scenery. There was a little village we passed through and we poked about there.

I remember having snacks and drinks with us. 

We were not allowed off when we were there 2 years ago, even though we were supposed to be. Half of our car made it off before they stopped us. Scenery was blocked by trees and shrubs most of the trip. Very underwhelming experience, other than the "been there done that" factor. The white pass railroad in Skagway is excellent though, so if you do the Flam trip and find it so-so, don't skip the white pass if you find yourself in Alaska! We were on Jewel, and it did not have the waffle stop, just the ride.

• Like 1