New cooking classes on the cruise planner

gerelmx

I attended several of these classes on previous cruises for FREE and now $67.00 each.
Taste of Tokyo: Hands-On Sushi Making Class, Taste of Italy: Hands-On Pizza Class, and Taste of Argentina: Hands-On Steak Class

They had small group hands on cooking classes a few years back.  DH did them a few times, ther were held in the kitchen at Murano.  He enjoyed them but they were rather pricey as I recall. 

5 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Would love to go but no way at that price! If free I would attend 

The previous for fee classes you made the foods and then had the dishes for lunch.

Our first cruise was in the 80's & they had lots of things for free including the midnight buffet, napkin folding, bridge & kitchen tours, vegetable & ice carving demonstrations to name a few. Cruising has changed a lot & not for the better! Everything is an upcharge & nothing for free in the daytime anymore. I miss the good old days!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catspaw1 said:

Our first cruise was in the 80's & they had lots of things for free including the midnight buffet, napkin folding, bridge & kitchen tours, vegetable & ice carving demonstrations to name a few. Cruising has changed a lot & not for the better! Everything is an upcharge & nothing for free in the daytime anymore. I miss the good old days!

I still remember most of the napkins designs I learned in cruise ships in the 80s and 90s!  Your list brought back some fun memories.  

1 hour ago, gerelmx said:

I attended several of these classes on previous cruises for FREE and now $67.00 each.
Taste of Tokyo: Hands-On Sushi Making Class, Taste of Italy: Hands-On Pizza Class, and Taste of Argentina: Hands-On Steak Class

These are not new.

the old free classes were demonstration only, these classes are hands on, and they have been doing them for quite a while

Posted (edited)

The cooking class I went to someone turned up who was in a wheelchair and the galley wasn't accessible - I'd say some people aren't reading or not getting its not for everyone

Edited by Lena11033

I recall the cooking demonstration classes that were held in the Grand Foyer.  Recipes were passed out at the end and you got to sample the dishes. Miss those.  When I came home, I made one of the recipes:  Creme Brule.  It came out really good.

I also got some great tips from cooking my meal at the Lawn Club.  Did that twice before the changes.  

If they lowered the price a lot or I had more OBC, I would do it. I am currently taking a French cooking class through adult education. 8 hours for about $130 including food costs. We always have enough to take home some also. I cook from scratch almost every day. Just made homemade tomato soup- far superior to Campbell's 

• Like 2

How have those who took these classes liked them?  We are already booked with other activities during the steak class but could do the pizza one.  Just wondering how fun it is?  How many people are in the class?

On 3/23/2024 at 11:32 AM, catspaw1 said:

If they lowered the price a lot or I had more OBC, I would do it. I am currently taking a French cooking class through adult education. 8 hours for about $130 including food costs. We always have enough to take home some also. I cook from scratch almost every day. Just made homemade tomato soup- far superior to Campbell's 

Mind if I ask where you're taking that class?  I'm in your area and looking for a gift idea for someone.

5 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Mind if I ask where you're taking that class?  I'm in your area and looking for a gift idea for someone.

Fairfax county adult education. Seniors get 25% off all classes. 

• Thanks 1

We did a number of classes back in the days of Olympic.   The class was limited to 8 and was taught in the Olympic Kitchen.   Afterward we were served a lunch with wine pairing.   Of course the food we ate was professionally prepared.   Don't recall the price but it was a lot of fun.