Cococay full time staff

Hi all,

We were recently aboard the Liberty of the seas and remain impressed with what cococay has become.

Someone mentioned that in addition to the ship staff helping cook and clean for the day, there are around 600 full time staff who live on the island for 6 months at a time.  I always thought the staff came in for the day from Nassau and that there were only a few full time staff as grounds keepers.

Has this changed?  Where do the full time staff live and what do jobs consist of?  Do they get to go home to Nassau during the 6 months or is it like ship staff where they are away for many months at a time?

Thanks for any information.

Posted (edited)

There is an entire apartment building/dorms for the CocoCay staff. @Ozark_Kid has a photo of the complex that he took from the top of the tall slide. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

I took this picture from the balloon in 2022.  I wish I had taken a few more of this side.  There is a very clear demarcation between the public and the workers side of the island. 

Since I have seen a few of the pictures of Hideaway Beach it seems the lagoon you see at the top looks like the lagoon I see in those pictures.  JMHO

54754D42-05DC-406E-AC7A-D528E47477A1.thumb.jpg.8d02fb6858eb6de81a3e5ec8deb24d83.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We were recently aboard the Liberty of the seas and remain impressed with what cococay has become.

Someone mentioned that in addition to the ship staff helping cook and clean for the day, there are around 600 full time staff who live on the island for 6 months at a time.  I always thought the staff came in for the day from Nassau and that there were only a few full time staff as grounds keepers.

Has this changed?  Where do the full time staff live and what do jobs consist of?  Do they get to go home to Nassau during the 6 months or is it like ship staff where they are away for many months at a time?

Nassau is over 60 miles from Coco Cay, not to mention there is no quick way to get between the two islands. Staff have always lived on the island (Coco Cay). 

54 minutes ago, Coralc said:

There is an entire apartment building/dorms for the CocoCay staff. @Ozark_Kid has a photo of the complex that he took from the top of the tall slide. 

These were taken October 2021 from the tall slide.  Good memory!

20211008_110732.thumb.jpg.c4e105b97cf332bdcdc4259fe65d9fc4.jpg

20211008_110636.thumb.jpg.2bab8fcb1772cb54fd43e4a0aa40887c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

These were taken October 2021 from the tall slide.  Good memory!

20211008_110732.thumb.jpg.c4e105b97cf332bdcdc4259fe65d9fc4.jpg

20211008_110636.thumb.jpg.2bab8fcb1772cb54fd43e4a0aa40887c.jpg

Thanks John! Such amazing photos, that they were memorable. It is something that passengers don't see of the other side. ☺️

• Like 1

Some of the workers in the shopping area live on Berry Island and take the ferry.  I know the girls that do braiding do this everyday.  And they told me Royal took good care of them during covid shutdowns.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

There are staff that live on the island on contract, like cruise ship staff have a contract. There are a few (don’t know the positions) which come as needed, primarily from Great Harbour Cay. 

We had a nice chat with a bartender at the HideAway Beach Pool bar. It was early so not too busy. He said that he lived in Nassau but stayed on the island for the duration of his contract. I don't recall how long he said his contract was for but he did say that he enjoyed the arrangement. He  also looked forward to getting back to Nassau. He gave us some great advice for eating spots in Nassau which I don't remember. Too much morning drinking.

• Like 1

Is this the reason why the food service seemed to be much better fare than what we were getting on board at the Windjammer?

I have made previous comments about why is the food so different from onboard the ship?

Now I know why. The island chefs make a great day at Coco Cay!

• Like 1