Being first on the ship

I have never been overly eager to be first on the ship but I want to try to, for my prima April cruise from Miami bc I am now platinum and want to get things booked and have a more relaxed day. 

1) what time does online check in open on day 21 prior?

2) what is usually the first boarding hour offered?

3) as I am newly platinum, what are the things I should book at latitudes? Behind the scenes, wines around the world, cocktail party, platinum pin. Anything I am missing?

4) any dining and show availability that opens up on boarding. Where should I go for that? It’s usually teppanyaki or the MDR on other ships

I do not care for the vibe so I’m good on that. I also want to register my name at customer service for any last minute balcony no-show upgrades. (Not likely these days I know and I’m keeping an eye on the cruise as we get closer to do a straight upgrade)

anything else I’m missing?

Sorry, I know it’s annoying to be one of the organized, eager ones, but I know you’ll all understand lol! I think this is something I’ll probably just try once, as I don’t typically like to rush to the port 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

1) Check in is midnight Eastern time

2) You will get an "arrival time" -- 9:30 is earliest. Ship will start boarding around 11:30. With Platinum you will have early boarding. Your arrival time doesn't matter.

3) Go to the CruiseNext desk and book your special stuff immediately. It will fill up.

4) As Platinum, you can book all your dining at 125 days. Any bookable shows can be done at 21 days.

I think I got all that right.

Oh, and you will be invited to bid on upgrades. None will be available once you're on the ship.

Edited by IAcruising

2 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

1) Check in is midnight Eastern time

2) You will get an "arrival time" -- 9:30 is earliest. Ship will start boarding around 11:30. With Platinum you will have early boarding. Your arrival time doesn't matter.

3) Go to the CruiseNext desk and book your special stuff immediately. It will fill up.

4) As Platinum, you can book all your dining at 125 days. Any bookable shows can be done at 21 days.

I think I got all that right.

Oh, and you will be invited to bid on upgrades. None will be available once you're on the ship.

thanks for all this. I thought platinum had a special waiting area but I wasn’t aware their boarding time didn’t count!

Unfortunately it was a last minute booking and I’m way within 125 days. I will need to book my Dining on board.

My TA doesn’t participate in the e-upgrade program unfortunately. i know onboard upgrades are rare these days but anyone know the going rate? I seem to recall it’s usually around $500 when I did it before 

28 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

I thought platinum had a special waiting area but I wasn’t aware their boarding time didn’t count!

It's not boarding time, it's arrival time at the port.

If you can't bid for an upgrade, right now, you're not going to get one at any price.

52 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

thanks for all this. I thought platinum had a special waiting area but I wasn’t aware their boarding time didn’t count!

As long as you are in the terminal and fully checked in with our keycard, waiting in the terminal for boarding, they will board "Platinum and above" after the Haven, but before "Group 1", which is the boarding # given to those who arrive at the terminal the earliest, but do not have any priority status. 

Last January we were in the terminal at 9:30am and it was a cattle call at 11:30 or so, when they started boarded Platinum and above since there were so many with that status.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, marktwothousand said:

Thanks all. How do they handle families where one person in a room is not plat? Send you all to the back of the line or is there any discretion there?

No problem. As far as boarding, one plat, all plat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marktwothousand said:

I have never been overly eager to be first on the ship but I want to try to, for my prima April cruise from Miami bc I am now platinum and want to get things booked and have a more relaxed day. 

3) as I am newly platinum, what are the things I should book at latitudes? Behind the scenes, wines around the world, cocktail party, platinum pin. Anything I am missing?

4) any dining and show availability that opens up on boarding. Where should I go for that? It’s usually teppanyaki or the MDR on other ships

I do not care for the vibe so I’m good on that. I also want to register my name at customer service for any last minute balcony no-show upgrades. (Not likely these days I know and I’m keeping an eye on the cruise as we get closer to do a straight upgrade)

Sorry, I know it’s annoying to be one of the organized, eager ones, but I know you’ll all understand lol! I think this is something I’ll probably just try once, as I don’t typically like to rush to the port 

At 21 days, 12 midnight eastern time when your countdown clock clicks to 21, you can check in. You get a time to arrive at the terminal not a boarding time. 9:30 is earliest time to arrive at the terminal. NCL is not enforcing the time, so the terminal will be busy at that time. 

You can go to the Cruise Next desk to book your behind the scenes tour. And wines around the world tasting. No other reserved events. 

No upgrades onboard. It is only done for a Haven suites via the bidding process. 

Any show, go cart reservations can be done at the theater/Prima Club. But, you can/should make dining reservations in advance online. 

Vibe is only available online rebooking. 

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

At 21 days, 12 midnight eastern time when your countdown clock clicks to 21, you can check in. You get a time to arrive at the terminal not a boarding time. 9:30 is earliest time to arrive at the terminal. NCL is not enforcing the time, so the terminal will be busy at that time. 

You can go to the Cruise Next desk to book your behind the scenes tour. And wines around the world tasting. No other reserved events. 

No upgrades onboard. It is only done for a Haven suites via the bidding process. 

Any show, go cart reservations can be done at the theater/Prima Club. But, you can/should make dining reservations in advance online. 

Vibe is only available online rebooking. 

It kind of sucks that they don’t have a last minute upgrade list any more. I was on the Escape not too long ago, and they were taking names for flat rate upgrades there.

does anyone know if there was an actual policy change forbidding ships to accept requests for on board upgrades? Or is it just a numbers thing because so many ships are full these days?

Thank you, Bird, for posting essentially nothing that hasn't already been said. I think I can ask for the board when I ask, do you actually read a thread, or do you just respond to random posts that catch your eye?

I intend no disrespect. Just curious.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

Just now, marktwothousand said:

does anyone know if there was an actual policy change forbidding ships to accept requests for on board upgrades? Or is it just a numbers thing because so many ships are full these days?

No policy that I know of, but because of the pre-bidding process, anyone who gets an upgrade will get it before you board the ship. Balconies will be gone to those who bid from an inside or ocean-view. There will be no more balconies to get.

2 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Unfortunately it was a last minute booking and I’m way within 125 days. I will need to book my Dining on board.

My TA doesn’t participate in the e-upgrade program unfortunately. i know onboard upgrades are rare these days but anyone know the going rate? I seem to recall it’s usually around $500 when I did it before 

There is no special waiting area in Miami for Platinum or above Latitude members. Haven guests are in a different area and taken to the ship via their dedicated elevator. In my experience, most recently on Viva in December, next comes handicap travelers, then Diamond and Sapphire are called, then Platinum. We were about the 5th and 6th on board so I don't know what happened after that. 

I know most people like to book their dining via the app but have you ever tried to book via chat or calling NCL? I have had success doing that when the app shows certain times unavailable. It's worth a shot and if there is still no availability, head to the Prima theatre once onboard...there will be multiple tables set up to book dining and shows. 

Enjoy your cruise.

At platinum level, the only perks you will be eligible for really are the two latitudes dinners and your free bag of laundry. Wines around the world and dinner with officers is at Sappire level and above.

13 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Sorry, I know it’s annoying to be one of the organized, eager ones, but I know you’ll all understand lol!

As one of the organized, eager ones, I hope you have a great cruise!! 😁

4 minutes ago, UKstages said:

"wines around the world" actually kicks in at the platinum level.

Thanks for letting me know. For some reason I thought that also started with sapphire.

Posted (edited)

It's been a long time since I remember on board upgrades being offered.  I think the last time I saw it was the first sailings after the COVIC restarts.  But, that was a few years ago.  

Since then, the ships are mostly sailing full.  I do know they are offering some upgrades via the bidding process.  I've found it's more advantageous to just book the cabin and fare you want and forego the bidding process as you save little (if anything) when bidding.

Embarkation goes with mobility challenged and Haven guests first.  Then, Latitudes status.  I've seen it both ways that sometimes it's Sapphire and above after Haven.  I've also seen it that Ambassador and Diamond go before the others.

Edited by graphicguy

every cruise i've been on the past year or so has had a printed and framed sign at guest services saying that the ship is fully booked and no upgrades or room reassignments are possible. 

12 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

It kind of sucks that they don’t have a last minute upgrade list any more. I was on the Escape not too long ago, and they were taking names for flat rate upgrades there.

I'm on the Prima april 5th.  No upgrades are available if the ship is fully booked.  Which is true in my case. 

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

every cruise i've been on the past year or so has had a printed and framed sign at guest services saying that the ship is fully booked and no upgrades or room reassignments are possible. 

That’s what I was looking for. Ok thanks!

17 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Thank you, Bird, for posting essentially nothing that hasn't already been said. I think I can ask for the board when I ask, do you actually read a thread, or do you just respond to random posts that catch your eye?

Gosh,,, have you read the thread. Wasn't this already stated multiple times, including by me?

No policy that I know of, but because of the pre-bidding process, anyone who gets an upgrade will get it before you board the ship. Balconies will be gone to those who bid from an inside or ocean-view. There will be no more balconies to get.

Gosh,,, have you read the thread. Wasn't this already stated multiple times, including by me and yourwelf?

• Haha 2

Wow. Talk about a nothing post. Harsh. 

29 minutes ago, purpleally said:

Wow. Talk about a nothing post. Harsh. 

Yep! But it kind of feels like eavesdropping on a old married couple...

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

1-Midnight Eastern Time
2-Boarding tiems are NOT offered, only check in times.
3-Hate to burst yoru bubble but thsoe thngs sound a whole lot moer of a dbig deal than they are.  They are enjoyabel to do one time IMHO.
4-Go to the shore excursion desk and the dining booking desk (dining is usually at one end of GS).